DC Extended Universe THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon May 09, 2016 12:46 am

Goyer is a good idea man but that's where his involvement should end. He is not even involved in DC's braintrust going forward (that's Charles Roven, Zack Snyder, Debbie Snyder, Geoff Johns and now Affleck.) His fingerprints are glaring when the movie is set up with dialogue and tends to reuse flatlining interactions (TDKRises: "No, I've come to stop you.." MoS: "You're a monster, Zod. And I'm here to stop you.") He's just a flat screenwriter with scattered big idea's at times.

What I noticed about DC/WB is that they're rounding together big name director's that have a knack for visual storytelling. The widespread verdict is out on Snyder (even from fans like me who like him) so we all know Snyder needs to be reeled in and have that one voice to be used as a filtering system. The DCEU so far has mostly Snyder's and Goyer's tendencies in them so Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman are two movies this Universe needs when it comes to vision and directional storytelling. Those two things make a huge different in how the bigger story can be perceived.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon May 09, 2016 11:33 pm

Image
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 10, 2016 12:39 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Image


Green Lantern worked for me much better than MOS or BvS. I know that's not a popular (or defensible) opinion. Flame away. MOS had redeeming qualities. BvS exists in its own rarefied strata of epic awfulness. I would bet dollars to donuts that Wan's Aquaman will kick ass!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14956
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Tue May 10, 2016 3:34 am

Wonder Woman is a wrap!

https://www.facebook.com/GalGadot/videos/10154124132483926/

Today was my last day shooting the solo Wonder Woman movie! It's been such an amazing, exciting, dreamy, happy and fascinating experience I will cherish it forever. Thank you to everyone who was involved, our amazing cast, crew and phenomenal director.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6663
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue May 10, 2016 6:38 am

Superman prequel series "Krypton" pilot green-lit on SyFy
http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/05/09/kryp ... t-by-syfy/
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed May 11, 2016 4:46 am

RedWingFan wrote:Spoiler filled review and reasons why Civil War succeeded and B v S failed. This goes into a lot of detail into the plot of Civil War. So go see it and then read this. Curious to know what everyone thinks of it. It explained my thoughts perfectly.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... c0b57a46bb


Why does Lex hate Superman? We’re never given a reason, other than vague speeches about gods and power. Why does Lex want Superman to murder Batman, someone else he doesn’t know at all? Why does Lex build Doomsday? Why does Lex more or less just want to murder and destroy everything? None of this is ever made clear. Lex, one of the DC’s smartest, most capable villains, is reduced to a poor man’s version of the Joker, creating anarchy for anarchy’s sake. Then the moment in Batman V. Superman, where the two stop fighting because Batman realizes their mothers have the same name. Five minutes later, Batman is rescuing the mother of the man he was just trying to kill.


What an idiot. He admits right there that he has a total lack of knowledge and understanding of what BvS was set out to do. So what does he do? Uses his lack of understanding as fuel to argue the merits of what the movie is set out to do by comparing what CW did right. Somebody needs to tell this numskull that you can't use a movies plot against it while trying to praise another by faults you seemingly know nothing about. This is a targeted Batman V Superman hate piece masking as a CW review. He flat out took CW's newness to dig up BvS, only to have it buried once more (just because.)

When will people realize that BvS and CW weren't meant to be the same movie working towards the same goals? The two movies weren't made to stand off against each other to see who would do it better. The two points are mere opposites and not even comparable as to what both movies are trying to respectfully achieve.

People are failing to realize that the buildup to Cap/Stark and the point of having them fight has repercussions of what the MCU already accomplished in the formation of the Avengers by disassembling them and having hero's take sides and face off while setting up new characters along the way while ushering in a new phase.

Batman V Superman's "fight" was to conclude character arc and build towards the movie's climax in a singular motive that resolves by the 3rd act. In fact, by the time Kal was face to face with Bruce, he was well aware of Lex's scheme. At that point, he was desperate, so the fight at that point became more of a closing arc of Bruce's character than anything. By the time we get to the 3rd act, the "fight" is all but forgotten because the payoff and point of the movie was never about Superman and Batman fighting, but always a setup to add more groundwork to gravitate towards the foundation of the Justice League. That's where Superman's death serves its purpose. Without Superman, Bruce is going to have one helluva time to convince the others to join him.

That article proves that those types of writers have no desire to sit down and understand the motive BvS was set out to do or understand the type of groundwork it was meant to achieve. Instead, the writer masquerades behind Civil War and use's what that movie got "right" to bury BvS even more. It's pretty obvious.

That Forbes writer should read this. It would help tame his smear article:

An in-depth analysis on Batman v. Superman reveals what kind of a movie it is!
http://www.thegekdom.com/home/2016/4/30 ... of-justice
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Wed May 11, 2016 6:32 am

Last I checked, in the context of the entire MCU, it seems like Cap and Iron Man maybe spent a total sum of a few weeks around each other. And I'm being generous.

This whole "earned build-up" nonsense is just that: nonsense. Everything I've read about Civil War (which I'm going to see tonight) points to the fact that the Stark-Rogers conflict is based on events in the CURRENT film. Everything else, like the trailer cut to suggest a growing tension, is artificial.

Bruce Wayne had FAR more reason to have a beef. WE workers died and got maimed. Kids were orphaned. The Wayne building was scissored in HALF.

Give me a break!

But don't worry. Unlike Monker, I'm actually going to see this movie. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6663
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby RedWingFan » Wed May 11, 2016 8:16 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:Spoiler filled review and reasons why Civil War succeeded and B v S failed. This goes into a lot of detail into the plot of Civil War. So go see it and then read this. Curious to know what everyone thinks of it. It explained my thoughts perfectly.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... c0b57a46bb


Why does Lex hate Superman? We’re never given a reason, other than vague speeches about gods and power. Why does Lex want Superman to murder Batman, someone else he doesn’t know at all? Why does Lex build Doomsday? Why does Lex more or less just want to murder and destroy everything? None of this is ever made clear. Lex, one of the DC’s smartest, most capable villains, is reduced to a poor man’s version of the Joker, creating anarchy for anarchy’s sake. Then the moment in Batman V. Superman, where the two stop fighting because Batman realizes their mothers have the same name. Five minutes later, Batman is rescuing the mother of the man he was just trying to kill.


What an idiot. He admits right there that he has a total lack of knowledge and understanding of what BvS was set out to do. So what does he do? Uses his lack of understanding as fuel to argue the merits of what the movie is set out to do by comparing what CW did right. Somebody needs to tell this numskull that you can't use a movies plot against it while trying to praise another by faults you seemingly know nothing about. This is a targeted Batman V Superman hate piece masking as a CW review. He flat out took CW's newness to dig up BvS, only to have it buried once more (just because.)

When will people realize that BvS and CW weren't meant to be the same movie working towards the same goals? The two movies weren't made to stand off against each other to see who would do it better. The two points are mere opposites and not even comparable as to what both movies are trying to respectfully achieve.

People are failing to realize that the buildup to Cap/Stark and the point of having them fight has repercussions of what the MCU already accomplished in the formation of the Avengers by disassembling them and having hero's take sides and face off while setting up new characters along the way while ushering in a new phase.

Batman V Superman's "fight" was to conclude character arc and build towards the movie's climax in a singular motive that resolves by the 3rd act. In fact, by the time Kal was face to face with Bruce, he was well aware of Lex's scheme. At that point, he was desperate, so the fight at that point became more of a closing arc of Bruce's character than anything. By the time we get to the 3rd act, the "fight" is all but forgotten because the payoff and point of the movie was never about Superman and Batman fighting, but always a setup to add more groundwork to gravitate towards the foundation of the Justice League. That's where Superman's death serves its purpose. Without Superman, Bruce is going to have one helluva time to convince the others to join him.

That article proves that those types of writers have no desire to sit down and understand the motive BvS was set out to do or understand the type of groundwork it was meant to achieve. Instead, the writer masquerades behind Civil War and use's what that movie got "right" to bury BvS even more. It's pretty obvious.

That Forbes writer should read this. It would help tame his smear article:

An in-depth analysis on Batman v. Superman reveals what kind of a movie it is!
http://www.thegekdom.com/home/2016/4/30 ... of-justice

Maybe the numbskulls at WB and DC should figure out that the average movie goer or reviewer doesn't want to sit and research character arcs on their motives of why they're doing what their doing. One shouldn't have to go through years of comic books or WB/DC bullet points to educate themselves before going to one of their Shitty movies. All these critiques are valid and on the money. You just don't want to face the truth.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed May 11, 2016 9:55 am

RedWingFan wrote:Maybe the numbskulls at WB and DC should figure out that the average movie goer or reviewer doesn't want to sit and research character arcs on their motives of why they're doing what their doing. One shouldn't have to go through years of comic books or WB/DC bullet points to educate themselves before going to one of their Shitty movies. All these critiques are valid and on the money. You just don't want to face the truth.


Take a good look at this post above, ladies and gentleman but don't focus TOO hard or you would become "MARVELITED" :lol: This is some funny stuff only a Marvelite could muster up because it falls right in line with the swept under the rug; double standard and blinded by a bat mindset most fans of the internet community of these films abide by today with the modern comic book movie.

The only exhausting research that goes on in Google Search Engines is people trying to figure out what the hell is goin on in the MCU and what they need to know what came before it because I would wager a bet that more than half of the casual audience couldn't give a flying rats ass or even begin to TRY to piece together what the hell even happened in the 12 movies that came before Captain America: Civil War.

This is the same Universe that doesn't even own the rights to all of their characters and see's things like two Quicksilver's being handled in two completely different ways with their counterpart rival across the way in Sony and a casual audience that probably doesn't have a single clue as to what the show Agent Carter or Agents of Shield have to do with the tie-in's to the MCU. I bet 10 year old Johnny's parents can't make one single reference or one educated guess as to what or who Agent Coulson is trying to accomplish between the television shows, let alone make the connection that Peggy Carter is the same person that has affiliation with the ongoing movie-verse that is the MCU. I heard there was a cameo from one actor in Edward Norton's The Incredible Hulk and I would make a wager that nobody outside of a few diehards even knew who the fuck he was. People can't even recite what the recent garbage name of the made-up city Marvel made up once again for the Avengers to "destroy" because it takes too much brain power to even begin to care to understand. All people want is "Lights, camera, action" that Marvel hides behind because if they would set aside the popcorn bin, they would realize all that butter has rushed to their brain and they really don't know jack shit or care about what happened in Iron Man 3 or Thor: TDW. All they want is the next big set piece followed by yet another lame ass joke that their child would tell at the bus-stop the next morning.

Though parents probably couldn't tell you anything past cool action scenes and brainless plots nobody pays attention to in the MCU, I can certainly guarantee that they know Superman is from Metropolis, Batman has a Butler and Wonder Woman is a badass chick while Lex Luthor hates Superman. That's ALL you really need to know. Come to think of it, does anybody still have ANY clue who the hell Thanos is and what the Infinity Stones really mean? Probably not, but hey....the 3rd incarnation of Spider-Man was drop dead hilarious! :lol: The casual audience will understand who Darkseid is quicker than the forgotten Thanos who people still don't give a shit about. Just let him keep floating around while Darkseid will actually become a menacing threat to human life. :lol:
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby RedWingFan » Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:This is the same Universe that doesn't even own the rights to all of their characters....

Which is all the more damning for DC. Marvel sold their most popular properties to emerge from bankruptcy and used their 2nd and 3rd tier characters to dominate the genre and DC's heavy hitters. Scoreboard!

And I can guarantee that the 3rd go round of Spidey will go over better than the 3rd go round of Superman went over.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed May 11, 2016 10:48 am

Lmao, scoreboard. What colors does your team play for? :lol: Let me guess, you're the same dude that gets yelled at by 12 year old ' s playing the newest Call of Duty where one of them fucked your mother? That's how juvenile and pointless you sound. Fact of the matter is, we are in the Golden Age of superhero flicks where a team setting is the norm. So much, that even the most popular hero in the world (Spider-Man) now needs Robert Downey Jr in his movie to give the audience everything they can offer. No matter what the MCU does, they will never make a trilogy of their own with one single character and ever get close to TDKTRILOGY, let alone The Dark Knight. The MCU isn't a character universe anymore. It's an Avenger Universe. As bad as Feige wanted to male a solo Cap3, but he knew he needed to subtly turn it into an Avengers 4 film to compete with a divisive Batman/Superman movie with entirely new concepts and ways of storytelling. Just wait. Now that the audience is more conditioned to more team up films, wait until they get a load of Wonder Woman, Flash and an underwater Aquaman flick. The BO won't take long to get DC back in the game. The more these movies do good the more we get. I know that bothers Marvelites like you but hey, probably so does those 12 year old COD users. It's all good.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed May 11, 2016 11:20 am

And I can guarantee that the 3rd go round of Spidey will go over better than the 3rd go round of Superman went over.


Technically, SR wasn't an incarnation or evolution or even a second go around for Supes. Though Singer took the Donnerverse and applied it to SR, he still took chances Marvel would never do.

I will predict the Holland Spidey Movie: "A haha-here, a haha-there, there a laugh, here a laugh, everywhere a laugh-laugh" AVENGERS: Infinity War :lol:

Hey, atleast Man of Steel showed us parts of the Superman mythos that nobody seen before, like a SyFy Krypton that added to the mythos. I can't wait to see how Uncle Ben dies again and how Tony Stark will be the one to come up with a witty way to say "With great power, becomes great responsibility." In fact that's probably exactly what will happen. Stark will be Holland's Uncle Ben infleluence. It's corny enough to become a legit prediction.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby RedWingFan » Wed May 11, 2016 12:01 pm

The only good decision DC and WB has made is bailing on the May 6th release date for B v S. They're lucky the world has already forgotten about it. If they had been released on the same day it would have elicited more comparisons. Kudos to the WB suits. First time I've ever stated that.

Hell, even Deadpool kicked B v S ass. And that was rated R. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/ ... erhero2016
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed May 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Deadpool was a special performance. Something that happens every once in awhile and on occasion, but let's not get it twisted. BvS moving helped out both movies. The OW would have been severely potent to both films, especially since AV4 opened only 13 mil more than BvS's opening weekend as a 13th film and 50 new characters, including a new Spidey. 2 divisive films in, the DCEU is only one or two fixes away from reaping the benefits. If BvS can get to $870 WW and take on this kind of negative feedback, the DCEU will be just fine. One positive critical reception and Marvelites will take a fit. Bound to happen.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby Monker » Wed May 11, 2016 2:43 pm

verslibre wrote:Last I checked, in the context of the entire MCU, it seems like Cap and Iron Man maybe spent a total sum of a few weeks around each other. And I'm being generous.

This whole "earned build-up" nonsense is just that: nonsense. Everything I've read about Civil War (which I'm going to see tonight) points to the fact that the Stark-Rogers conflict is based on events in the CURRENT film. Everything else, like the trailer cut to suggest a growing tension, is artificial.

Bruce Wayne had FAR more reason to have a beef. WE workers died and got maimed. Kids were orphaned. The Wayne building was scissored in HALF.

Give me a break!

But don't worry. Unlike Monker, I'm actually going to see this movie. :lol:


Your entire comparison is so far off. BvS took one event, the fight between Zod and Superman, and suddenly Wayne hates Superman. That is simply not what happens in Civil War. In Civil War it is the accords that forces a split between Iron Man and Captain America. What you end up with isn't Iron Man hating Captain America. You end up with Iron Man desperately trying to keep the Avengers together despite so many forces trying to pull them apart, while Captain America is drawn to being true to himself and what he deeply believes in...regardless of what anybody else is advising him to do.

The depth of character development that is in Civil War far exceeds what was attempted in BvS. Batman sees the Superman/Zod "fight" and he hates Superman...and that happens near the beginning of the film. Civil War has Iron Man and Captain America in a torn relationship that neither side really wants to end...and yes, they use event after event to escalate things until the very end where "shit happens". And, through the entire film "revenge" and its consequences is the theme running through the entire movie. I'm not going to throw out spoilers, but it was very well done...it is a story well conceived, written, told, and acted.

BvS did not hit on any of those cylinders and that is why it had such a negative critical reception. It was very superficial, relying on shock drama to make points. It had too much story it was trying to tell. In the end, it's only usefulness was to set up Justice League and Wonder Woman movies....similar to Age Of Ultron. In fact, BvS is much more comparable to that than Civil War.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11197
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu May 12, 2016 1:57 am

verslibre wrote:Wonder Woman is a wrap!

https://www.facebook.com/GalGadot/videos/10154124132483926/

Today was my last day shooting the solo Wonder Woman movie! It's been such an amazing, exciting, dreamy, happy and fascinating experience I will cherish it forever. Thank you to everyone who was involved, our amazing cast, crew and phenomenal director.


Image
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu May 12, 2016 1:57 am

Image
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6663
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu May 12, 2016 1:58 am

^Same time! :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6663
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu May 12, 2016 2:02 am

:lol:
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu May 12, 2016 2:06 am

Sebastian Stan (Bucky) on BvS:

“I did see Batman v Superman and I enjoyed it. I think visually it was insane. I thought Ben Affleck was an incredible Batman. I thought that fight sequence he had against all the guys, that was sick. Even Jesse Eisenberg was cracking me up at some points. I think that DC is at a point right now where, it’s been my impression, they want to get to Justice League. They want to go ahead and kind of get everybody fighting together. And I think the best way to jumpstart that was to get what I think most people wanted to see for a long time: Batman vs. Superman, two of the biggest superheroes in history.”
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu May 12, 2016 2:07 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:No matter what the MCU does, they will never make a trilogy of their own with one single character and ever get close to TDKTRILOGY, let alone The Dark Knight. The MCU isn't a character universe anymore. It's an Avenger Universe. As bad as Feige wanted to male a solo Cap3, but he knew he needed to subtly turn it into an Avengers 4 film to compete with a divisive Batman/Superman movie with entirely new concepts and ways of storytelling. Just wait. Now that the audience is more conditioned to more team up films, wait until they get a load of Wonder Woman, Flash and an underwater Aquaman flick. The BO won't take long to get DC back in the game.


All of the above is on the money. I saw Avengers: Civil War last night. The film has no business calling itself Captain America: Civil War. So I'm not going to! :lol:

Even members of the cast referred to it as Avengers 2.5. Some fans even call it Iron Man 4, because the Toner has just as much screen time as Steve Rogers. Civil War is an Avengers film based on the events of Age of Ultron more so than The Winter Soldier.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6663
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu May 12, 2016 2:09 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Sebastian Stan (Bucky) on BvS:

“I did see Batman v Superman and I enjoyed it. I think visually it was insane. I thought Ben Affleck was an incredible Batman. I thought that fight sequence he had against all the guys, that was sick. Even Jesse Eisenberg was cracking me up at some points. I think that DC is at a point right now where, it’s been my impression, they want to get to Justice League. They want to go ahead and kind of get everybody fighting together. And I think the best way to jumpstart that was to get what I think most people wanted to see for a long time: Batman vs. Superman, two of the biggest superheroes in history.”


Cue the Web-wide meltdown of Marvelites everywhere. "...that fight sequence he had against all the guys, that was sick."

Totally agree with you there, SS. Best fight scene between the two movies.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6663
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu May 12, 2016 2:13 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Deadpool was a special performance. Something that happens every once in awhile and on occasion, but let's not get it twisted. BvS moving helped out both movies. The OW would have been severely potent to both films, especially since AV4 opened only 13 mil more than BvS's opening weekend as a 13th film and 50 new characters, including a new Spidey. 2 divisive films in, the DCEU is only one or two fixes away from reaping the benefits. If BvS can get to $870 WW and take on this kind of negative feedback, the DCEU will be just fine. One positive critical reception and Marvelites will take a fit. Bound to happen.


I think it's safe to conclude the novelty alone would've won BvS the OW. It's something nobody had seen before. Civil War, looking like another Avengers movie, would've taken second place. There's no way Marvel Studios would've put a solo Cap film against BvS, though. Feige wanted another Avengers film and made it happen. He admitted it.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6663
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu May 12, 2016 2:34 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Last I checked, in the context of the entire MCU, it seems like Cap and Iron Man maybe spent a total sum of a few weeks around each other. And I'm being generous.

This whole "earned build-up" nonsense is just that: nonsense. Everything I've read about Civil War (which I'm going to see tonight) points to the fact that the Stark-Rogers conflict is based on events in the CURRENT film. Everything else, like the trailer cut to suggest a growing tension, is artificial.

Bruce Wayne had FAR more reason to have a beef. WE workers died and got maimed. Kids were orphaned. The Wayne building was scissored in HALF.

Give me a break!

But don't worry. Unlike Monker, I'm actually going to see this movie. :lol:


Your entire comparison is so far off. BvS took one event, the fight between Zod and Superman, and suddenly Wayne hates Superman.


Did you even f—king read what I wrote above? (What is with this guy?!) :lol:

Monker wrote:That is simply not what happens in Civil War. In Civil War it is the accords that forces a split between Iron Man and Captain America. What you end up with isn't Iron Man hating Captain America. You end up with Iron Man desperately trying to keep the Avengers together despite so many forces trying to pull them apart, while Captain America is drawn to being true to himself and what he deeply believes in...regardless of what anybody else is advising him to do.


"Hi, I'm Monker, and I didn't watch the movie, but I did watch a spoiler-filled review, so therefore I must be right."

No, I saw the movie, and [SPOILERS] the Sokovia Accords being drawn up aren't the fat volume that makes Stark drastically reconsider his stance. This is the same guy that's been blowing shit up as Iron Man across a number of films. Buildings fell down on people in both previous Avengers films. But he always felt he was doing the right thing. Enter Miriam Sharpe, mother of Charlie Spencer, who was a casualty in an explosion in Sokovia. Sharpe tells Stark he "murdered" her son (in a scene that somewhat parallels one in BvS). That is the catalyst. Minutes before, the only thing on Stark's mind was being reminded he and Pepper are currently separated (written away as some wishy-washy bullshit in the wake of Iron Man 3).

Stark's motivator therefore becomes not his compassion, but his arrogance. He thinks they have to sign the Accords, which are due to be ratified within (surprise!) days, though Rogers can't present a more sound argument than he does for the Avengers to remain a private, independent entity.

Monker wrote:The depth of character development that is in Civil War far exceeds what was attempted in BvS. Batman sees the Superman/Zod "fight" and he hates Superman...and that happens near the beginning of the film. Civil War has Iron Man and Captain America in a torn relationship that neither side really wants to end...and yes, they use event after event to escalate things until the very end where "shit happens". And, through the entire film "revenge" and its consequences is the theme running through the entire movie. I'm not going to throw out spoilers, but it was very well done...it is a story well conceived, written, told, and acted.


The Bucky revelation is a Hail Mary, just like Turan wrote. There was no other way for them to stage the titular confrontation, which features a nerfed Iron Man — who honestly, based on previous films, could've ended the conflict quickly if sloppily — against two non-superpowered guys. Seriously, for a guy who was as pissed as Tony appeared to be, you'd think he would've just chest-repulsor'd Barnes and been done with it! AND the fight suddenly just ends because his weapons are toasted. Why didn't he exit the suit (like he loves to do for shits and giggles) and keep going? I guess he got tired. So there's no big "dark, controversial" wrap like the Russos promised, apart from Cap tossing his shield aside. (They also wasted Crossbones in the beginning of the movie, so you knew right there Cap wouldn't be dying anytime soon. Instead, Rhodes nearly dies because suddenly Falcon develops Spidey Sense and dodges Vision's blast! HAHA!! WTF! :lol: )

Monker wrote:BvS did not hit on any of those cylinders and that is why it had such a negative critical reception. It was very superficial, relying on shock drama to make points. It had too much story it was trying to tell. In the end, it's only usefulness was to set up Justice League and Wonder Woman movies....similar to Age Of Ultron. In fact, BvS is much more comparable to that than Civil War.


Oh, stop. You got ka-ka on the brain. Civil War's an entertaining film, but it's basically a series of battles. And I'm sorry to have to say this, but I agree with the article that said Spider-Man, as awesome as he is in it, has no business being in it. In fact, it goes contrary to the whole revelation of Sharpe's son's death. A kid dies so bring another kid to help you fight? The airport fight is a great showcase of choreography and CGI, but really only the second half of it should've happened. The first half is threats and prancing and one-liners.

IMO, it's Black Panther who stole the show. I couldn't get enough of BP. His suit's awesome. He had the moves and the claws. They should've left Spidey out and given him more time.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6663
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby Monker » Thu May 12, 2016 2:54 am

verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Deadpool was a special performance. Something that happens every once in awhile and on occasion, but let's not get it twisted. BvS moving helped out both movies. The OW would have been severely potent to both films, especially since AV4 opened only 13 mil more than BvS's opening weekend as a 13th film and 50 new characters, including a new Spidey. 2 divisive films in, the DCEU is only one or two fixes away from reaping the benefits. If BvS can get to $870 WW and take on this kind of negative feedback, the DCEU will be just fine. One positive critical reception and Marvelites will take a fit. Bound to happen.


I think it's safe to conclude the novelty alone would've won BvS the OW. It's something nobody had seen before. Civil War, looking like another Avengers movie, would've taken second place. There's no way Marvel Studios would've put a solo Cap film against BvS, though. Feige wanted another Avengers film and made it happen. He admitted it.


If your greatest critique is that Civil War is really an Avengers movie, then I think Civil War has very little to be criticized for or you two would be whining about it. Yes, it follows up on some of the story from AoU. But, if you can't see how it follows up on Winter Soldier, then you are ignoring half of the movie just so you can critique the title...kinda pathetic, actually.

BvS had horrible reviews both by the industry and by fans. It would have tanked opposite Civil War, which has had the exact opposite reaction from everybody. As I said months ago, the fact that BvS was so bad probably helped Civil War because it put people in the mood for a VS movie...BvS failed to deliver, and Civil War doesn't. It's really that simple. Also, the fact that Deadpool was so good probably hurt BvS because his parody outshined the serious tone of BvS.

If one of those "one or two fixes" isn't firing Snyder, then the DCEU is not "just fine". He can't tell a story. You both were all high on the writers when I started critiquing them....saying they had the perfect team together, that WB corrected the errors of MOS. They didn't correct anything, the problem child is still there.

When Suicide Squad falls flat...and X-Men outsells BvS, what then? It shows WB/DC does not entertain or sell as well as Marvel/Disney, New Line Cinema (Deadpool), and FOX (X-Men)....it makes WB look like a fourth rate company releasing mediocre (at best) films.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11197
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu May 12, 2016 3:00 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Deadpool was a special performance. Something that happens every once in awhile and on occasion, but let's not get it twisted. BvS moving helped out both movies. The OW would have been severely potent to both films, especially since AV4 opened only 13 mil more than BvS's opening weekend as a 13th film and 50 new characters, including a new Spidey. 2 divisive films in, the DCEU is only one or two fixes away from reaping the benefits. If BvS can get to $870 WW and take on this kind of negative feedback, the DCEU will be just fine. One positive critical reception and Marvelites will take a fit. Bound to happen.


I think it's safe to conclude the novelty alone would've won BvS the OW. It's something nobody had seen before. Civil War, looking like another Avengers movie, would've taken second place. There's no way Marvel Studios would've put a solo Cap film against BvS, though. Feige wanted another Avengers film and made it happen. He admitted it.


If your greatest critique is that Civil War is really an Avengers movie, then I think Civil War has very little to be criticized for or you two would be whining about it. Yes, it follows up on some of the story from AoU. But, if you can't see how it follows up on Winter Soldier, then you are ignoring half of the movie just so you can critique the title...kinda pathetic, actually.


All that weak sauce and no bread on which to spread it, Monksy? Why don't you read the post I made AFTER the one you chose to reply to? :lol:

Monker wrote:When Suicide Squad falls flat...and X-Men outsells BvS, what then? It shows WB/DC does not entertain or sell as well as Marvel/Disney, New Line Cinema (Deadpool), and FOX (X-Men)....it makes WB look like a fourth rate company releasing mediocre (at best) films.


Spin, spin, spin. Why is Squad going to fall flat? How will Apocalypse outsell BvS when there's not a ton of buzz for it and DoFP didn't even earn a profit at the box office?

Btw, Deadpool was the first superhero movie in YEARS to make that kind of money (profitwise) for Fox. Don't act like the X-franchise is suddenly converting moviegoers everywhere. Spin, spin, spin! :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6663
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu May 12, 2016 3:17 am

Monker wrote: When Suicide Squad falls flat


Keep on hatin' on :lol:

It shows WB/DC does not entertain or sell as well as Marvel/Disney, New Line Cinema (Deadpool), and FOX (X-Men)....it makes WB look like a fourth rate company releasing mediocre (at best) films.


Nah. It just shows WB is taking vastly different approach's in the way they are setting their Universe up. Even Deadpool road the coatails of the X-Universe and even had Wolverine jokes spread in there to spoon-feed the audience into a "OH! I got that!" moment(s). I really did enjoy the Deadpool/Colossus interaction, but the rest of the movie was run of the mill stuff at best. In fact, after Deadpool, I was ready for DC's stone-face faceoff of Titans (so was everybody else. The front-loaded numbers reflect people will continue to show up and have huge interest), regardless of how the type of unorthodox style Snyder tends to go in. For me, Snyder's style is welcomed because his themes and style aren't your average theater experience and what people expect with Blockbusters, especially CBM's. There's something for everyone. Strip away the BO, the fanboys and the reviews and it basically comes down to genre. The more, the better.

That said, the DCEU is just kicking off. Snyder touched upon the issue of Batman V Superman always going to be a dark film that fit right in to the story they are telling with these specific circumstances (The Batman; Gotham, etc) but that's not to say everything will be done the same way. The DCEU is two Snyder-films in and it will deconstruct. It will make much more sense later as it's a huge saga. BvS may have not worked for many, hell, even Man of Steel, but future films could make up for that at a speedy pace since the bigger overall picture is meant to be one big story. The introduction of different characters will help that cause. Patience is key right now for the DCEU to hit its stride. It will.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu May 12, 2016 4:09 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:That said, the DCEU is just kicking off. Snyder touched upon the issue of Batman V Superman always going to be a dark film that fit right in to the story they are telling with these specific circumstances (The Batman; Gotham, etc) but that's not to say everything will be done the same way. The DCEU is two Snyder-films in and it will deconstruct. It will make much more sense later as it's a huge saga. BvS may have not worked for many, hell, even Man of Steel, but future films could make up for that at a speedy pace since the bigger overall picture is meant to be one big story. The introduction of different characters will help that cause. Patience is key right now for the DCEU to hit its stride. It will.


Exactly. The first film reintroduced Superman. The second film continued the story, while reintroducing Batman, and featuring Wonder Woman in action.

Civil War is the 13th MCU film and honestly, the two films shouldn't even be compared, in spite of what people say. They couldn't have made Civil War as the 2nd film because people would've been so lost.

Btw, Civil War needs to make even more than BvS to hit a profit. They're not letting on about what it really cost. 250 million, my ass. That movie looked expensive! Daniel Bruhl (who played Zemo) said the budget "was so huge that you could make twenty films from it." (Then factor in the bazinga marketing.)
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6663
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 12, 2016 8:32 am

verslibre wrote:They couldn't have made Civil War as the 2nd film because people would've been so lost.


Sounds like good, but too late, advice to DC about BvS and Justice League.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14956
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby RedWingFan » Thu May 12, 2016 8:37 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:They couldn't have made Civil War as the 2nd film because people would've been so lost.


Sounds like good, but too late, advice to DC about BvS and Justice League.

That was one of the points made in that article comparing CW and B v S.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests