DC Extended Universe THREAD

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:56 pm

RedWingFan wrote:Fact is, DC failed to hit the mark with Man of Steel and BvS. YJrny has stated many times how the director isn't for wide audience appreciation. What kind of dipshits knowingly puts this kind of guy to run the ship for their biggest properties? Nobody in the theater gave 2 shits that Superman "died" at the end. There's no emotional attachment to the guy after 2 movies. It was a cheap ploy that no one cared about and failed miserably. I think if Cap or IM died in Civil War, people would care deeply. That's the difference between Marvel and DC. People are emotionally invested in the main Marvel characters. I don't know how can anyone even dream that DC will have hits with Wonder Woman, Aquaman or Shazam? B v. S convinced me that there is no competition between DC and Marvel and there never will be.


This is exactly right. They use shock drama so often to get a cheap emotional reaction so often that it degrades the entire film. This is lazy story telling and doesn't get the audience very invested.

And, you are right about deaths in Civil War. Even if Bucky died, people would care. Even in the trailers, you can tell the writers know this and are going to start using that emotional investment for dramatic effect.
User avatar
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9420
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Nobody in the theater gave 2 shits that Superman "died" at the end. There's no emotional attachment to the guy after 2 movies. It was a cheap ploy that no one cared about and failed miserably.


I can only speak for my audiences, but don't throw the term "nobody" around loosely. That is not true. People were sucking their snot back on the roof of their mouth at the end of each viewing and it was loud because the ending to BvS was pindrop quiet. Besides, the misunderstanding is reeking through your posts and you seem to be confused on what an emotional ploy is and what isn't, considering how you used quotation marks around the word died. Superman's death was used to set things up for future storylines and character arcs. The emotional loose ends of the act are quickly wiped away at the ending because Superman isn't dead and it shows the audience there's more to come. With Superman dead, this is going to be a huge storyline going forward in seeing Bruce and Diana scramble and struggle to put together the Justice League. The fun hasn't even started yet. It does shock me, though, that Marvel fans shake their finger at DC fans regarding emotional turmoil because when a death in the MCU does occur, it is followed by a joke and light hearted humor of the situation that serves no consequence whatsoever. Marvel "deaths" are designed for happiness and laughter. When in doubt, just stick a well timed piece of humor in the script. When Supes died at the end of BvS, people were quiet and somber as fuck...as they should have been.

B v. S convinced me that there is no competition between DC and Marvel and there never will be.


The competition is only in your head and you know it. If there's no competition, don't bring it up like there was supposed to be one. For something that's not there, you sure do feel the need to defend it a lot. Marvel movies are 13 in the two styles of each studio is so different that it doesn't even matter. Me, personally, I don't like Marvel movies as much as you don't like DC movies, but that's not an indication on how there are fans out there that like both and laugh at this so called "war." Who cares. The more the merrier.

The facts are that is what WB wanted, it's what you wanted, it's what the audience was set up for. It didn't deliver. BvS has much more in common with the first Avengers movie than Iron Man 2. DC is not doing 'fine'....you are in denial.


You miss the mark so badly. This isn't the first time you claimed to comment on "what I want." What do I want that the studio wants? Money? You actually think that I thought I was going to receive any money from BO receipts? :lol: You're high. I don't care about Rotten Tomato Reviews, ticket sales, BO drops, etc. That ALL becomes irrelevant if I didn't like the movie or the direction DC is taking. What you like or dislike is subjective. You make everything out to be a competition when in reality, you're missing the point that the only thing I want is more movies. Fans can't control the BO or critics. I happen to love what DC is doing. Does everybody? No, people are divided (which means there are legions of fans that feel the same way that I do) but that's not my problem. It really isn't :lol:

This is lazy story telling and doesn't get the audience very invested.


It's not lazy storytelling when it sets up the overall bigger story of what's to come. The "storytelling" is just beginning and what you see at the end of BvS isn't a conclusion. It's the beginning of one big saga.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:55 am

WILLEM DAFOE JOINS "JUSTICE LEAGUE" CAST
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... foe-880889
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby Abitaman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:18 pm

RedWingFan wrote:Fact is, DC failed to hit the mark with Man of Steel and BvS. YJrny has stated many times how the director isn't for wide audience appreciation. What kind of dipshits knowingly puts this kind of guy to run the ship for their biggest properties? Nobody in the theater gave 2 shits that Superman "died" at the end. There's no emotional attachment to the guy after 2 movies. It was a cheap ploy that no one cared about and failed miserably. I think if Cap or IM died in Civil War, people would care deeply. That's the difference between Marvel and DC. People are emotionally invested in the main Marvel characters. I don't know how can anyone even dream that DC will have hits with Wonder Woman, Aquaman or Shazam? B v. S convinced me that there is no competition between DC and Marvel and there never will be.



I have seen the movie several times, and on opening night there were several people crying in the theater. On the other viewings the same. The last time I went I took someone who was very much on the fence (because of all the bad reviews). He walked out loving it, said it was one of the best superhero movies he has seen, but it below the last Captain movie and first Avengers.

It is hard to have competition between apples and oranges. right now the 2 companies are approaching things different. I would like to see DC lighten up just a little, just as much as I would like to see Marvel get just a little bit more serious. Hopefully the new Cap movie will do that.

DC has had two good movies in their new universe, they have a to learn a balance, but I like what I have seen, lets change that, I have loved what I have seen so far.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby Abitaman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:28 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote: You make everything out to be a competition when in reality, you're missing the point that the only thing I want is more movies. a.


Can I get an Amen on that. What a lot of people forget, is this is a great time to be a comic fan. We have the 2 big comic companies putting out their products. Back when I was a kid, did I get this, heck no!!!! When I did they usually sucked, except for most of the Superman and Batman movies. Now even small heroes, like Antman, are on the big screen. So what if you don't care for the other company, be thankful that we all have a hero we grew up with on the big screen and small screen. They may not be like we imagined, but they are here for to enjoy, debate, and talk about. Can we all agree on that?
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:56 am

IGN video: History comics 101- Batman V Superman's DARKSEID
https://youtu.be/0BDsrU29rPM
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:08 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:

The two Warcraft guys in the cubicle next to you don't represent the general audience. :lol:


I don't even know anybody who plays Warcraft, or I assume WoW is what you mean. And, if I did, they would probably be more excited about the Warcraft movie than Suicide Squad.


Nobody is "excited" about that LotR-wannabe schlock.

Monker wrote:Yeah, right. You said the same thing about DC being worried about audience reaction to early BvS showings and about it being "too smart" for Marvel fans. It seems to me that may have had some truth in it, and this probably does, too.


Go look at the clip where they ask Ayer point-blank about what's up. Check his expression and unflinching response. He has no reason to BS. He's made some good movies, too. I'm sure you'll say something like he's got his poker face down pat. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5006
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:21 am

RedWingFan wrote:Fact is, DC failed to hit the mark with Man of Steel and BvS. YJrny has stated many times how the director isn't for wide audience appreciation. What kind of dipshits knowingly puts this kind of guy to run the ship for their biggest properties? Nobody in the theater gave 2 shits that Superman "died" at the end. There's no emotional attachment to the guy after 2 movies. It was a cheap ploy that no one cared about and failed miserably. I think if Cap or IM died in Civil War, people would care deeply. That's the difference between Marvel and DC. People are emotionally invested in the main Marvel characters. I don't know how can anyone even dream that DC will have hits with Wonder Woman, Aquaman or Shazam? B v. S convinced me that there is no competition between DC and Marvel and there never will be.


You bring the bologna, but I bring the mayo. :lol:

"No emotional attachment" is woefully inaccurate. The theater was pin drop-silent while Batman and Wonder Woman were lowering Superman to the ground in front of Lois. There were no laughs, no chuckles. I heard nobody yell out "Yeah, right!" In fact, the only times I heard Yeah!! were during moments of intense action like Batman FedEx'ing a goon directly into a wall.

You think Wonder Woman has no chance of being a hit? Even the complainers (like Monker) liked WW.

I hate to break this to you, but Iron Man might be the only guy MCU fans (as opposed to comics fans) really give two shits about. I predict when RDJ is done, they won't recast that role for years, because the next guy will have a hard act to follow. Though they have no idea what the comics Tony is like (nor do they care), audiences will regard it the same had they tried to recast "Dirty" Harry Callahan, i.e. not well at all.

People like ScarJo and Evans. But as far as I can tell, nobody's dying in this movie. Disney won't go there. You want to talk about a CHEAP ploy? Quicksilver's throwaway death in Age of Ultron. That's pretty much a consensus view, too. A dude who can zip around like Flash gets taken out by bullets. Nobody gave a crap. Turns out they like the guy in the X-Men movies better. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5006
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:26 am

Monker wrote:This is exactly right. They use shock drama so often to get a cheap emotional reaction so often that it degrades the entire film. This is lazy story telling and doesn't get the audience very invested.


Like Han Solo's saw-it-coming-a-mile-away death? Like Avengers-Quicksilver's convenient death? That's Disney for you. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5006
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:21 am

Monker wrote: Yeah, right. You said the same thing about DC being worried about audience reaction to early BvS showings and about it being "too smart" for Marvel fans. It seems to me that may have had some truth in it, and this probably does, too.


Hey now, YOU said, we didn't :lol:
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:59 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:This is exactly right. They use shock drama so often to get a cheap emotional reaction so often that it degrades the entire film. This is lazy story telling and doesn't get the audience very invested.


Like Han Solo's saw-it-coming-a-mile-away death?


Yep - exactly like that....and you can include Obi-wan, too.

Like Avengers-Quicksilver's convenient death? That's Disney for you. :lol:


Meh. If you were shocked by Quicksilver's death, you have other problems.

But, it's like Zod's neck, Jonathan Kent doing the twist, or other things designed to 'shock' you....like Batman torturing people, various non-PC anti-Superman phrases popping up, or even Clark taking a bath with Lois.

These things are designed to "shock" an emotion in you quickly. It is lazy writing, or hasty drama. For example, all of the silly phrases aimed at Superman...all of that is designed to get you into the conflict that Superman must be feeling. But, it generally doesn't last because you only invest yourself for a few moments each time they show up...instead of an hour or so of Superman confronting these attitudes in people. BvS had to take the quick way because they had so much other story to tell (4hrs worth, geez) that they HAD to take these shortcuts. So, by the end where Superman dies, it gets mixed results because some people care, and some people are just not that invested in this version of Superman.
User avatar
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9420
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:04 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Monker wrote: Yeah, right. You said the same thing about DC being worried about audience reaction to early BvS showings and about it being "too smart" for Marvel fans. It seems to me that may have had some truth in it, and this probably does, too.


Hey now, YOU said, we didn't :lol:


BS. One of you two said that what I read about WB execs thinking the audience reaction shows that BvS was too smart for Marvel fans was nothing but click bait rumors...the exact same response as this about the reshoots being done because they want to light up Suicide Squad.

Frankly, I think both are true. And, I'll guess that Wonder Woman will turn out to be more like a Marvel film than a TDK type film.
User avatar
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9420
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:26 am

DC is only two movies in and they've done something Marvel refuses to do: follow through (as split of the audience may be, it's a fact.)

Snyder hits the nail directly on the head and pounds that sucker into the wood so hard that people are actually turned off by how much follow-through he does succeed when talking consequence's for his characters.

The thing is, people are investing in it so much so that it's the reason why the harshest critic wants more "fun" and for the movie "not to take itself too seriously." They are basically saying they are too use to the glitz, glamour and blinding lights of Marvel's happy go lucky Universe that it's hard to accept such a dour look on superhero's.

I applaud Snyder for not backtracking his point and doubling down even more with it, even if people pre-determined within' themselves to hate such darkness.

DC is the exact opposite of Marvel. If there's anybody in denial, it's Marvel fans. They are 13 movies in and judging by this review I'm about to post, Marvel is STILL pulling the rug out from underneath the feet of audiences when promising some kind of pay-off..but only bitch out in fear of backlash. They simply let momentum of the bright lights and hilarity do the talking for their paper-thin universe that lacks any type of significant payoff. Marvel is a well oiled machine and they mastered the art in giving people a blast..but they are chicken shit:

Movie Review: ‘Captain America: Civil War’
Before I have this incredibly difficult conversation with Marvel, let me get something straight. I am, and always will be, a defender of superhero movies. You’ll never see me writing a thinkpiece about how the genre is decaying, or how all of these movies are the same.

However, the film falls incredibly short both in the execution of the story and the tone. This was supposed to be the film that breaks the entire Marvel universe, but so rarely actually goes to the places that promise suggests. In fact, the majority of the movie is very light on its feet and more concerned with getting us to the next action sequence or joke than with giving us something to chew on. The conflicts that arise between these characters for the most part just feel so jovial and cartoonish that it’s impossible to take things seriously.

Sure, these people are friends, but that should be the most painful part of this whole thing, not the most fun. In fact, the film is so light on story that you could almost forget there is one if you’re not paying attention.

Sure, we’ve got a threatening villain pulling the strings in Baron Zemo (who is chillingly played by Daniel Bruhl), but he so rarely appears that he essentially comes off as an extra. For the most part, the cast seems to be on autopilot here. Evans frankly looks a little bored, as Steve is borderline uninvested in anything but his friendship with Bucky the whole time, which makes his rift with Stark fall incredibly flat.

The supporting players are basically all hitting one note; Mackie, Holland, Renner and Rudd are the quippers, while Don Cheadle, Johansson and Olsen are the more dour sticks in the mud.

These aren’t characters; they’re action figures (especially the two bug men). Only two performances really stand out from the pack. Downey Jr. gives us his most vulnerable turn as Tony Stark yet, really playing into the pain that this conflict makes him feel.

Problem is, he’s only in about a third of the movie, as it is a Captain America movie after all, making the moral quandary feel incredibly one sided. The other is Boseman, who introduces us to an incredible character in his Black Panther. This is an excellently skilled warrior unconcerned with the politics and friendships of everybody else, solely concerned with avenging his father and protecting his kingdom. However, what does it say about the movie that the character most identifiable is the one that does not care about what is going on in the story?

Most annoyingly, the little darkness that does rear its head in the film ends up being a complete smoke and mirrors act. This movie is so toothless that you’ll probably pay for your ticket in a paper cup on the side of the road. When it finally decides to become the emotional story it should have been the entire time in the last fifteen minutes, it chickens out of delivering a legitimate emotional gut punch. Everything just fizzes to a stop, essentially losing all of the momentum that it builds up just by the sheer force of its energy.

However, it’s so concerned with keeping everything in line for future movies that it ultimately takes no risks, and I’m just about done giving rewards for that.


and to top it off:

I just can’t. This was the film that was supposed to change everything, and it changes absolutely nothing. It only occasionally will bring out the human touch that makes for the best of the Marvel films, which is borderline unforgivable in a story that was so clearly supposed to be fueled by emotion. Ultimately, this is the movie that feels like it was made by the directors of You, Me, and Dupree. Going into the film I was emphatically team Cap; now I’m team nobody.

Rating: C


http://theyoungfolks.com/review/movie-r ... -war/76890

Ouch. If you ask me, Marvel has been lazy ones, doing nothing but hasty drama since 'The Avengers" (which ironically, was the last Marvel film I saw in theaters not named Guardians of the Galaxy.) [i] 'Civil War' will be fawned upon. Some might even claim it the best thing ever where it may cure world hunger. But it's still chickenshit. Marvel is great, but they can stay over there and continue to play it safe. BRING ON THE HATED DCEU!
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:45 am

Monker wrote:And, I'll guess that Wonder Woman will turn out to be more like a Marvel film than a TDK type film.


No way. That can't possibly be since Marvel has made it quite clear that they have zero faith and care for their female properties. Captain Marvel is nothing but a reach and response to Wonder Woman because they know damn well DC is on the opposite side of the fence with their female lead.

‘Wonder Woman’ Will Be “Pretty Dark,” Says Gal Gadot
In Batman v Superman, you get a glimpse of who she is but not where she comes from. In Wonder Woman, this would be the first time we ever tell the coming-of-age story of how Diana becomes Wonder Woman. It’s very interesting. It has moments of humor, but it’s pretty dark.


http://www.slashfilm.com/wonder-woman-tone/

Image
Image

Fuck yea.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:51 am

Monker wrote:And, I'll guess that Wonder Woman will turn out to be more like a Marvel film than a TDK type film.


By whose parameters? Certainly not Marvel's! They're only finally moving towards a female-centric film because of WB. :lol:

If you're implying the samey-ness that has plagued much of the MCU, thou art mistaken, as usual. Patty Jenkins opted for a character-driven approach. The film will likely be more intimate in feel for much of its duration, as opposed to the set-up-the-next-gag-or-action setpiece (see: both Iron Man sequels; Ant-Man; both Thor films; Avengers: Age of Ultron).

Things should (I hope) be changing largely from this point forward beginning with the addition of the Russos and Scott Derrickson to the fold, but the movies above (directed by the likes of Black, Reed, Whedon, Favreau, etc.) couldn't look more "phoned-in" if you tried.

In other words, reserve judgment till you actually see the movie. Ayer and Jenkins and Snyder all have different approaches and come from very different places in the grand scheme of things. Hell, Ayer even spent a chunk of his life in South Central L.A.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5006
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:49 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Like Avengers-Quicksilver's convenient death? That's Disney for you. :lol:


Meh. If you were shocked by Quicksilver's death, you have other problems.

But, it's like Zod's neck, Jonathan Kent doing the twist, or other things designed to 'shock' you....like Batman torturing people, various non-PC anti-Superman phrases popping up, or even Clark taking a bath with Lois.


If you were shocked by Clark getting into the tub with Lois, you have other problems. :lol:

P.S. 1959 is —> that way. :P
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5006
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby Monker » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:11 am

I have not made a single argument stating that BvS was "too dark". In fact, I have said it doesn't matter. I have tried to compare it to the TDK movies...because those movies had good story telling and that fact highlights how badly the story in BvS was told. He told the story so badly that it was almost universally panned by critics and word of mouth killed sales after the first week. BvS sucks, bad...not because it's dark, not because there are no jokes, not because it rained in too many scenes...it sucks because Snyder took a story that was AT LEAST 4hrs long (according to the editor you guys posted) and crushed it down to 2.5 hours. There was enough story there for AT LEAST two movies.

As for the review, hell, RWF posted links to about a dozen positive reviews. So, whatever. If you want to go and seek something out like that, you'll find it.

YoungJRNYfan wrote:DC is only two movies in and they've done something Marvel refuses to do: follow through (as split of the audience may be, it's a fact.)

Snyder hits the nail directly on the head and pounds that sucker into the wood so hard that people are actually turned off by how much follow-through he does succeed when talking consequence's for his characters.

The thing is, people are investing in it so much so that it's the reason why the harshest critic wants more "fun" and for the movie "not to take itself too seriously." They are basically saying they are too use to the glitz, glamour and blinding lights of Marvel's happy go lucky Universe that it's hard to accept such a dour look on superhero's.

I applaud Snyder for not backtracking his point and doubling down even more with it, even if people pre-determined within' themselves to hate such darkness.

DC is the exact opposite of Marvel. If there's anybody in denial, it's Marvel fans. They are 13 movies in and judging by this review I'm about to post, Marvel is STILL pulling the rug out from underneath the feet of audiences when promising some kind of pay-off..but only bitch out in fear of backlash. They simply let momentum of the bright lights and hilarity do the talking for their paper-thin universe that lacks any type of significant payoff. Marvel is a well oiled machine and they mastered the art in giving people a blast..but they are chicken shit:

Movie Review: ‘Captain America: Civil War’
Before I have this incredibly difficult conversation with Marvel, let me get something straight. I am, and always will be, a defender of superhero movies. You’ll never see me writing a thinkpiece about how the genre is decaying, or how all of these movies are the same.

However, the film falls incredibly short both in the execution of the story and the tone. This was supposed to be the film that breaks the entire Marvel universe, but so rarely actually goes to the places that promise suggests. In fact, the majority of the movie is very light on its feet and more concerned with getting us to the next action sequence or joke than with giving us something to chew on. The conflicts that arise between these characters for the most part just feel so jovial and cartoonish that it’s impossible to take things seriously.

Sure, these people are friends, but that should be the most painful part of this whole thing, not the most fun. In fact, the film is so light on story that you could almost forget there is one if you’re not paying attention.

Sure, we’ve got a threatening villain pulling the strings in Baron Zemo (who is chillingly played by Daniel Bruhl), but he so rarely appears that he essentially comes off as an extra. For the most part, the cast seems to be on autopilot here. Evans frankly looks a little bored, as Steve is borderline uninvested in anything but his friendship with Bucky the whole time, which makes his rift with Stark fall incredibly flat.

The supporting players are basically all hitting one note; Mackie, Holland, Renner and Rudd are the quippers, while Don Cheadle, Johansson and Olsen are the more dour sticks in the mud.

These aren’t characters; they’re action figures (especially the two bug men). Only two performances really stand out from the pack. Downey Jr. gives us his most vulnerable turn as Tony Stark yet, really playing into the pain that this conflict makes him feel.

Problem is, he’s only in about a third of the movie, as it is a Captain America movie after all, making the moral quandary feel incredibly one sided. The other is Boseman, who introduces us to an incredible character in his Black Panther. This is an excellently skilled warrior unconcerned with the politics and friendships of everybody else, solely concerned with avenging his father and protecting his kingdom. However, what does it say about the movie that the character most identifiable is the one that does not care about what is going on in the story?

Most annoyingly, the little darkness that does rear its head in the film ends up being a complete smoke and mirrors act. This movie is so toothless that you’ll probably pay for your ticket in a paper cup on the side of the road. When it finally decides to become the emotional story it should have been the entire time in the last fifteen minutes, it chickens out of delivering a legitimate emotional gut punch. Everything just fizzes to a stop, essentially losing all of the momentum that it builds up just by the sheer force of its energy.

However, it’s so concerned with keeping everything in line for future movies that it ultimately takes no risks, and I’m just about done giving rewards for that.


and to top it off:

I just can’t. This was the film that was supposed to change everything, and it changes absolutely nothing. It only occasionally will bring out the human touch that makes for the best of the Marvel films, which is borderline unforgivable in a story that was so clearly supposed to be fueled by emotion. Ultimately, this is the movie that feels like it was made by the directors of You, Me, and Dupree. Going into the film I was emphatically team Cap; now I’m team nobody.

Rating: C


http://theyoungfolks.com/review/movie-r ... -war/76890

Ouch. If you ask me, Marvel has been lazy ones, doing nothing but hasty drama since 'The Avengers" (which ironically, was the last Marvel film I saw in theaters not named Guardians of the Galaxy.) [i] 'Civil War' will be fawned upon. Some might even claim it the best thing ever where it may cure world hunger. But it's still chickenshit. Marvel is great, but they can stay over there and continue to play it safe. BRING ON THE HATED DCEU!
User avatar
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9420
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby Monker » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:14 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Monker wrote:And, I'll guess that Wonder Woman will turn out to be more like a Marvel film than a TDK type film.


No way. That can't possibly be since Marvel has made it quite clear that they have zero faith and care for their female properties. Captain Marvel is nothing but a reach and response to Wonder Woman because they know damn well DC is on the opposite side of the fence with their female lead.

‘Wonder Woman’ Will Be “Pretty Dark,” Says Gal Gadot
In Batman v Superman, you get a glimpse of who she is but not where she comes from. In Wonder Woman, this would be the first time we ever tell the coming-of-age story of how Diana becomes Wonder Woman. It’s very interesting. It has moments of humor, but it’s pretty dark.




Well, that's a nice bit of propaganda. She doesn't know how the movie will be produced and edited.
User avatar
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9420
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby Monker » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:18 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Like Avengers-Quicksilver's convenient death? That's Disney for you. :lol:


Meh. If you were shocked by Quicksilver's death, you have other problems.

But, it's like Zod's neck, Jonathan Kent doing the twist, or other things designed to 'shock' you....like Batman torturing people, various non-PC anti-Superman phrases popping up, or even Clark taking a bath with Lois.


If you were shocked by Clark getting into the tub with Lois, you have other problems. :lol:

P.S. 1959 is —> that way. :P


I didn't see "Superman Returns", but I do not recall a single Superman film where Clark and Lois were lovers. For the four Reeve films, he was just a nerdy friend. Lois was infatuated with Superman, not Clark Kent. In fact, in those films, Clark wasn't really interested in girls at all.
User avatar
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9420
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:16 am

Monker wrote:I didn't see "Superman Returns", but I do not recall a single Superman film where Clark and Lois were lovers. For the four Reeve films, he was just a nerdy friend. Lois was infatuated with Superman, not Clark Kent. In fact, in those films, Clark wasn't really interested in girls at all.


Hey, everyone...Mr. Monker has completely forgotten the details of Superman II! :lol:

(You know, the movie where Clark and Lois end up in bed together...IN the Fortress of Solitude.)

Actually, yes, it is Superman who Lois is into. And in BvS, Lois knows Clark is Superman. So there should be no mystery there. (You didn't see the movie, did you?)

So in your estimation, Superman (Kal-el) should be...asexual? Or?

You know what? Don't answer. Your response underlies the exact problem — nostalgia as crutch — people who are too attached to the Donner movies have. You've never read the comics, you're oblivious to the fact that Lois and Clark not only had a relationship but even married in a five-year TV show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106057/?ref_=nv_sr_1), and you can't accept that there has always been "something" between Superman and Lois Lane. Whether you want to admit it yourself or not.
Last edited by verslibre on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5006
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:20 am

Monker wrote: I didn't see "Superman Returns", but I do not recall a single Superman film where Clark and Lois were lovers. For the four Reeve films, he was just a nerdy friend. Lois was infatuated with Superman, not Clark Kent.


You do not recall a single Superman film where Clark and Lois were lovers because it's clear you don't watch the movies (about time you admit it because it shows.) If you Wiki it like you do best, you will see that Superman Returns was a direct extension of Superman II, where Kal-EL LITERALLY gave up his powers and stepped away from his destiny to be with Lois Lane.

Not only that, but he knocked her up in the Fortress of Solitude and tada! it's the direct reason why he has a child in Superman Returns. Superman Returns was nothing but a 'Made for T.V drama' love triangle between Superman, Lois Lane and Perry White's nephew Richard White (who was twice as heroic in the movie than Superman ever was.)

Do some research and you'll see the the biggest GRIPE with Superman Returns was that Superman came off as nothing but stalker, a homewrecker and most embarrassingly, a dead beat dad. Familiarize yourself with that piece of shit movie and you'll easily see why fans like myself love films like Man of Steel, a ballsy movie where it brought the 'action' back in "Action Comics" rather than a "Lifetime" movie.

In fact, in those films, Clark wasn't really interested in girls at all.


You couldn't be more wrong. Clark literally super-banged Lois in Superman II and even in Superman III, he goes back to his hometown of Smallville and gets back in contact with Lana Lang (his highschool sweetheart.) He even goes on a picnic date with her (where he saves her child Ricky in a cornfield from a tractor ready to cut him to pieces) and is disgusted to see that her boyfriend was a high school bully of his. In Superman IV, a Daily Planet mistress is actually in love with Clark Kent rather than Superman. I'll stop there since it's unfair to tee-off on somebody who doesn't have a clue.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:27 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:You do not recall a single Superman film where Clark and Lois were lovers because it's clear you don't watch the movies (about time you admit it because it shows.) If you Wiki it like you do best, you will see that Superman Returns was a direct extension of Superman II, where Kal-EL LITERALLY gave up his powers and stepped away from his destiny to be with Lois Lane.


They even said in the pre-press that the film was ignoring the third and fourth films...they were up-front about it! :lol:

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Do some research and you'll see the the biggest GRIPE with Superman Returns was that Superman came off as nothing but stalker, a homewrecker and most embarrassingly, a dead beat dad. Familiarize yourself with that piece of shit movie and you'll easily see why fans like myself love films like Man of Steel, a ballsy movie where it brought the hero back to kick some ASS and actually made him out to be a character from "Action Comics" not a "Lifetime" movie.


Amen.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5006
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Monker wrote: I didn't see "Superman Returns", but I do not recall a single Superman film where Clark and Lois were lovers.


Image
Image
Image
Image


Monker wrote: In fact, in those films, Clark wasn't really interested in girls at all.


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image




:lol:
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Superman prequel 'Krypton' getting a television pilot:
http://screenrant.com/superman-tv-prequ ... gn=SR-FB-P
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby Monker » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Geez, talk about over analyzing stuff.

All I am saying is that is what that scene was meant to be. It's essentially a Baltar and Six moment where you are supposed to forget how boring the movie is for a moment of forced drama.

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:I didn't see "Superman Returns", but I do not recall a single Superman film where Clark and Lois were lovers. For the four Reeve films, he was just a nerdy friend. Lois was infatuated with Superman, not Clark Kent. In fact, in those films, Clark wasn't really interested in girls at all.


Hey, everyone...Mr. Monker has completely forgotten the details of Superman II! :lol:

(You know, the movie where Clark and Lois end up in bed together...IN the Fortress of Solitude.)

Actually, yes, it is Superman who Lois is into. And in BvS, Lois knows Clark is Superman. So there should be no mystery there. (You didn't see the movie, did you?)

So in your estimation, Superman (Kal-el) should be...asexual? Or?

You know what? Don't answer. Your response underlies the exact problem — nostalgia as crutch — people who are too attached to the Donner movies have. You've never read the comics, you're oblivious to the fact that Lois and Clark not only had a relationship but even married in a five-year TV show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106057/?ref_=nv_sr_1), and you can't accept that there has always been "something" between Superman and Lois Lane. Whether you want to admit it yourself or not.
User avatar
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9420
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:08 am

Monker wrote:Geez, talk about over analyzing stuff.


Look who's talking. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5006
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:04 am

Image
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5006
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby RedWingFan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:51 am

Monker wrote:As for the review, hell, RWF posted links to about a dozen positive reviews. So, whatever. If you want to go and seek something out like that, you'll find it.

Yup. And if Civil War is half as good as The Winter Soldier than it'll still be twice as good as POS or BvS. Let YJ and V prefer the Shitty DC movies. Myself and the vast majority of the country disagree.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7678
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby RedWingFan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:03 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:DC is only two movies in and they've done something Marvel refuses to do: follow through (as split of the audience may be, it's a fact.)

You mean it was Marvel that didn't "follow through" after the failed Green Lantern movie?

Or are you talking about "following through" after the critically panned box office disappointment POS with the same director. And putting out a doubly critically panned BvS movie? How low has the audience score dropped on RT by the way I haven't checked lately.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7678
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:24 pm

RedWingFan wrote: Yup. And if Civil War is half as good as The Winter Soldier than it'll still be twice as good as POS or BvS


It will be half as good or just right in comparison to WS because Marvel makes the same movie over and over; just a different plot line. For the record,what I posted above wasn't about a "bad review." It was the content writin' in the review. In the good reviews, the exact things are being said..the same things I've accused Marvel of being since the first Avengers film. From the sounds of it, they've proven me right again. It all looks and ends the same. Yawn.

Let YJ and V prefer the Shitty DC movies.


There's a good amount of people who prefer DC's shitty movies over Marvel's 'shitty' movies. That's the point in having alternative brands :lol:

Myself and the vast majority of the country disagree.


That's not true. You don't know what "vast majority" means. (You're not even in the majority of this thread and neither were you in the MoS thread. 4 at MRliked BvS here and 2 didn't. I don't count Monker because he never saw it. :lol: )

When a movie is divisive, its split (again, not majority.) There's just as many people who loved the film that hated it. That's why there's much more chatter right now with MoS/BvS when it comes to the debating fanbase (Marvel films are ass-boring to debate about.) When one thing over here like Marvel is universally popular and one thing over here is the alternative; different product that takes risks in a dark and grounded way then yeah, audiences will be split.

It's simple when you break it down but the "majority" of the country doesn't disagree. Its right down the middle with many even in between. DC has many movies coming up with iconic characters that aren't Superman and Batman. Plenty of time to balance the see-saw. It's only just begun.

You mean it was Marvel that didn't "follow through" after the failed Green Lantern movie?


Huh? Why would Marvel "follow through" with the Green Lantern movie? :? It's not like Marvel never had a Green Lantern situation on their hands. Tony Stark was seen at the end of Edward Norton's The Incredible Hulk and they completely threw that out the window and band-aided him quietly while inserting Ruffalo in there right underneath the audience's noses who never even noticed.

DC did follow through after Green Lantern with Man of Steel and they have Green Lantern in check with Green Lantern Corps coming in 2020. Atleast WB has a plan with a previous failed character like Green Lantern. Marvel has panicked on Hulk before and even Ruffalo doesn't know what's in store with the character outside of Avengers movies. It happens. Marvel has had their fair share of hiccups. They can hide 'setup' movies better in their relentless slate of movies where nobody will ever notice.

How low has the audience score dropped on RT by the way I haven't checked lately.


RT audience score settled at 68% with a 3.7/5 rating. Not bad for a site like RT who panned the movie. Besides, we all know sites like IMdB is a more accurate barometer when it comes down to how fans or audiences rank films. IMdB ranks Batman V Superman at 72% with a 7.2/10 rating with 50,000+ more users who ranked the film compared to RT. With DC being darker and much broodier, it's not perfect but at the same time, no matter what you say, people are looking forward to the DCEU. Wonder Woman got people talking and the Flash's warning has people debating what is happening. Mission accomplished. It's all good.
Last edited by YoungJRNYfan on Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Death By Stereo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests