Amazing guitar player, tragic story

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Amazing guitar player, tragic story

Postby tj » Tue May 10, 2016 2:53 pm

I love great guitar players who are melodic in their playing. I occasionally enjoy a good shred, but mostly find it a distraction. Great melodic players like Schon and Lukather fill my catalog.

I watched a movie about Glen Campbell last night on Netflix. He was an amazing guitarist who had great success in the 60s and 70s as a country artist. He has Alzheimer's and the movie, I'll Be Me, is a documentary about his diagnosis and final tour. Having dealt first hand with two family members who died from Alzheimer's, it was really emotional for me.

What stood out to me, though, was the timelessness of the songs and his ability to play them even when he couldn't remember the words or what he was supposed to be doing. Great players, like so many we discuss on this site, really have a gift. I guess that is what makes them great.

If you have a couple of extra hours, it is well worth the time. Even if you are not a fan of Glen or his music.
tj
Cassette Tape

Re: Amazing guitar player, tragic story

Postby steveo777 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:18 pm

Restless Heart's tribute to Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJ9jMkuOj4
steveo777
MP3

Postby tj » Wed May 11, 2016 2:39 am

steveo777 wrote:Restless Heart's tribute to Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman:

I just saw this earlier this morning. Great song. I love Jimmy Webb's songwriting.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Wed May 11, 2016 9:01 am

I saw Restless Heart at the Circle Star Theater in San Carlos, CA... in the 80's... they did an Eagles medley that was amazing....

great band.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby SF-Dano » Thu May 12, 2016 3:48 am

slucero wrote:I saw Restless Heart at the Circle Star Theater in San Carlos, CA... in the 80's... they did an Eagles medley that was amazing....

great band.

Wow Sluce.....the Circle Star. Small world, I grew up in that area. Hadn't thought of that place in a quite awhile. Saw a few shows there. :)
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby Arkansas » Fri May 13, 2016 4:52 am

SF-Dano wrote:
slucero wrote:I saw Restless Heart at the Circle Star Theater in San Carlos, CA... in the 80's... they did an Eagles medley that was amazing....

great band.

Wow Sluce.....the Circle Star. Small world, I grew up in that area. Hadn't thought of that place in a quite awhile. Saw a few shows there. :)

+1. Grew up in Belmont/San Mateo... Hillsdale Mall, Hyatt Cinema, Perry Boys, Farrell's.

Anyway, Glen Campbell is kind of a big deal here in Arkansas. He's from a small town in the southwest called 'Delight'. They filmed some of this documentary there during a farewell tour stop. It was pretty cool. All the local news covered it.

later~
Arkansas
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Tue May 17, 2016 10:06 am

Arkansas wrote:
SF-Dano wrote:

great band.

+1. Grew up in Belmont/San Mateo... Hillsdale Mall, Hyatt Cinema, Perry Boys, Farrell's.

Anyway, Glen Campbell is kind of a big deal here in Arkansas. He's from a small town in the southwest called 'Delight'. They filmed some of this documentary there during a farewell tour stop. It was pretty cool. All the local news covered it.

later~

My dad was a country music DJ in the 60's and 70's when Glen Campbell was in his prime. We had all of his albums in the house and listened to them constantly. We watched his show on TV and even met him after a concert once due to my dad's access from the radio station. I have always loved that he was one of 12 children, grew up poor, and made it big.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby yulog » Sun May 29, 2016 6:05 pm

steveo777 wrote:Restless Heart's tribute to Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman:

Really classy cover, and i'm not a fan of country.
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Tue May 31, 2016 4:13 am

Great movie that transcends music fans IMO. I've fortunately not seen Alzheimer's first hand in my family, but my wife has, and it really tore her up watching with me. It also gave me a new appreciation for how horrible that disease really is. If you haven't seen a family member go through it, you can think/lament about it in the abstract, but seeing it cut down a legend like that to where he basically doesn't even remember a G chord is just terrible.

Also, Restless Heart rocks.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Tue May 31, 2016 4:52 am

Everyone forgets that Glen was a Beach Boy for awhile.

From December 1964 to early March 1965, Campbell was a touring member of the Beach Boys, filling in for Brian Wilson. He also played guitar on the group's Pet Sounds (1966) album, among other recordings. On tour, he played bass guitar and sang falsetto harmonies. In April 1966, he joined Ricky Nelson on a tour through the Far East, again playing bass.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby tj » Tue May 31, 2016 4:55 am

Ehwmatt wrote:Great movie that transcends music fans IMO. I've fortunately not seen Alzheimer's first hand in my family, but my wife has, and it really tore her up watching with me. It also gave me a new appreciation for how horrible that disease really is. If you haven't seen a family member go through it, you can think/lament about it in the abstract, but seeing it cut down a legend like that to where he basically doesn't even remember a G chord is just terrible.

Also, Restless Heart rocks.

I agree, his talent transcended much of popular music in the 60's and 70's. Here is a video of GC and Steve Lukather playing together. Pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Zr3hnPQGU
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Marzdog » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:43 am

tj wrote:I agree, his talent transcended much of popular music in the 60's and 70's. Here is a video of GC and Steve Lukather playing together. Pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Zr3hnPQGU
The best part of this is Luke at 1:35, just so in awe of finally meeting a hero of his...
Marzdog
Ol' 78

Postby tj » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Marzdog wrote:
tj wrote:I agree, his talent transcended much of popular music in the 60's and 70's. Here is a video of GC and Steve Lukather playing together. Pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Zr3hnPQGU
The best part of this is Luke at 1:35, just so in awe of finally meeting a hero of his...

It's always fun to me to see really talented people like Luke who also appreciate and respect the talent of others.
tj
Cassette Tape

Return to Death By Stereo