The Great One is gone.

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

The Great One is gone.

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Rest well Ali. I got to meet him in 1999. A incredably nice man.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/muham ... 02069.html
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP

Re: The Great One is gone.

Postby RPM » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:44 am

To me he was the Ultimate example of a pure Boxer. Unbelievable jab, Killer combo.
He lost 3 of his best years, remaining fights took a lot out of him. I worked at a C&W club
in 1980 and he stopped by, an African American in that place was unheard of...lol.....everyone
loved him he was so friendly taking pics with people and shaking hands, a real gentleman.
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
8 Track

Postby tj » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:55 pm

RPM wrote:To me he was the Ultimate example of a pure Boxer. Unbelievable jab, Killer combo.
He lost 3 of his best years, remaining fights took a lot out of him. I worked at a C&W club
in 1980 and he stopped by, an African American in that place was unheard of...lol.....everyone
loved him he was so friendly taking pics with people and shaking hands, a real gentleman.

I am probably remembering a time that never really was, but it seems like boxing for most of the time prior to Ali's retirement was a brutal but still respectable sport. Ali, Foreman and others talked trash, but backed it up. Since then, it's all about the pay per view and money. Still occasional good fights, but not with fighters who respect each other, the sport, or the fans.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:00 am

You payed dearly to see Ali fight live. Poor people watched video tape, or like me, listened to it on the radio. They didn't have cable back then.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP

Return to Death By Stereo