Doctor Strange

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Doctor Strange

Postby S2M » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:09 am

Won't make as much money as B vs. S, but will be a better movie.

Ya heard it here, folks.

Trav....don't even try. :lol:
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby verslibre » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:20 am

It won't make as much money as X-Men: Apocalypse.

It'll make more! :lol:

While I don't like Tilda Swinton in the role of the Ancient One (terrible, terrible, terrible casting), I'm still looking forward to this movie because Doc Strange is one of Marvel's best characters. I've always liked the less famous characters like Doc, Man-Thing, Damon Hellstrom aka Son of Satan, Ghost Rider (yes, he's more known now thanks to the movies with Nic Cage), Power Man & Iron Fist, Cloak & Dagger, Moon Knight (in spite of being a Batman rip-off), etc.

I'm just hoping the MCU doesn't wimp out on magic(k). I don't want to see it explained away as "magic and science are the same in this dimension" bullshit like they did with the Asgardians. Seeing Viking boats fitted with laser weapons looked like something right out of Starcrash. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:56 am

I think it could easily push a billion total gross. It looks like it will be a visual spectacle...and that may get a lot of people going back to see it in 3d. It is looking very, very good, IMO.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:17 am

If so confident, shouldn't you be comparing Doctor Strange, a Marvel property/film, to the greatest films ever created that gross trillions and trillions of dollars like the unflappable and untouchable Iron Man 3, Civil War and Age of Ultron? Why make such a bold prediction vs the lowly, hated, gritty, dark and grounded DC films that are ever-so lucky to make a buck or ever come close to looking like a professional movie( I'll accept "just to be a fuckface" as a logical answer)? :lol: That or maybe, just maybe, people pay more attention to the DCEU than we all think that this needs its own thread to itself. But yes, it will be the better film with quick-twitch pacing and action to the point of said-nausea and a generic plot that will steal from the other 13 Marvel films.

Doctor Strange bold prediction: 90% RT; 1.6 billion at the WW BO. Mark it down. Best movie of all time (until the next Marvel movie.)
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby RedWingFan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:46 am

I would guess $250Million domestic, maybe $500Million worldwide. YJ, it's not Marvel fans overhyping movies it's you and vagina in the DC thread.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:52 am

RedWingFan wrote:I would guess $250Million domestic, maybe $500Million worldwide. YJ, it's not Marvel fans overhyping movies it's you and vagina in the DC thread.

Sounds like Captain Tranny isn't too confident in a new offering from Marvel. Your daddy Monker will not be pleased. :lol:
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:54 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Doctor Strange bold prediction: 90% RT; 1.6 billion at the WW BO. Mark it down. Best movie of all time (until the next Marvel movie.)

I think it'll be 2.6 billion WW!!!
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:59 am

Without the DCEU thread, we talk about nothing because with Marvel movies, like a fast food cinema product, you simply digest it the moment you get to your car. There's nothing to chit chat about, but it's cool :lol:

For the record, my predictions for MoS and BvS at the BO were really close. I don't confuse excitment with reality. I'm well aware of the DCEU's uphill battle. It's well documented. It's just what I prefer.

As for my SSQUAD BO prediction, it's right in line in what I predicted. It exceeded my OW prediction AND my domestic prediction. You said it'll be lucky to hit $250 mil DOM. It's sitting around 227+ right now with only 1.5 weeks in theaters. I said it would hit $220 m DOM. It exceeded that. How's that overhype?
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby S2M » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:39 am

I'll say it again...

Ticket sales are a better measure than dollar amounts.
S2M
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:23 am

verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Doctor Strange bold prediction: 90% RT; 1.6 billion at the WW BO. Mark it down. Best movie of all time (until the next Marvel movie.)

I think it'll be 2.6 billion WW!!!

3.8. Once again, RDJR is up to cameo. That's easily 1 more billion ALONE.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:54 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Once again, RDJR is up to cameo. That's easily 1 more billion ALONE.

Warner Bros. needs to make him the offer he can't refuse. Imagine RDJ in the DCEU! I fathom not the levels of awesome he should bring, lest my hemispheres implode and render me caught in the folds of time and space just like Captain America when he was "shot" by a brainwashed Sharon Carter with one of Doom's weapons, and sent back to 1945!
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:28 am

It's sad how jealous you guys are at Marvel's success. Maybe someday DC will be able to release a movie that is both a critical success and a success with fans. But, it hasn't happened yet. They suffer for it.

There is more talk about DC because DC has released mediocre movies and DC fans can't accept that fact and want to argue it and argue it, and in the process insult Marvel to make themselves feel better. Well, posting meme's to the Marvel thread doesn't make BvS or SS a better movie, despite how giddy it makes you feel. They are both still mediocre - at best.

RWF can think of Doctor Strange as a 500million dollar film, I don't have a problem with that at all. I simply believe that it could take off. ...similar to the reasons GotG took off. It's NOT your typical super hero movie, like Iron Man, CA, Hulk, or even Thor (or, Supreman, WW, etc). Those who may be tiring of these super hero movies may see this differently because it is all about magic and not about super strength or whatever. So, the audience is going to be broader - just as GotG. In addition, the visuals look spectacular...I could see Doctor Strange getting a lot of attention for visual affects in the same way something like 300 did. As long as the story is there, I think this will be a big hit.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:52 am

Monker wrote: It's sad how jealous you guys are at Marvel's success. Maybe someday DC will be able to release a movie that is both a critical success and a success with fans. But, it hasn't happened yet. They suffer for it.

Whatever you're (still) smoking, it must be some gooood shit! :lol:

Didn't I just point out how the first three DCEU entries have grossed over 2 billion? So we're jealous how?

Monker wrote:There is more talk about DC because DC has released mediocre movies and DC fans can't accept that fact and want to argue it and argue it, and in the process insult Marvel to make themselves feel better. Well, posting meme's to the Marvel thread doesn't make BvS or SS a better movie, despite how giddy it makes you feel. They are both still mediocre - at best.

No, you always try to piss in the punch. That's what's going on. It's the equivalent of hearing two people talking about something at a party, and being unable to resist the desire to walk over and talk shit, "just because." That's all you do. I guess I can't blame you. Talking about the DCEU never gets old, unlike being the equivalent of a potted plant taking up space in the cubicle farm.

And you still have never explained why you don't want to the DCEU to exist. I suggest you start getting used to it, because it's not leaving.

I don't see you doing much to further the discussion in the Marvel thread, either. You're like an animal: stimulus, response. :lol:

Monker wrote:RWF can think of Doctor Strange as a 500million dollar film, I don't have a problem with that at all. I simply believe that it could take off. ...similar to the reasons GotG took off. It's NOT your typical super hero movie, like Iron Man, CA, Hulk, or even Thor (or, Supreman, WW, etc). Those who may be tiring of these super hero movies may see this differently because it is all about magic and not about super strength or whatever. So, the audience is going to be broader - just as GotG. In addition, the visuals look spectacular...I could see Doctor Strange getting a lot of attention for visual affects in the same way something like 300 did. As long as the story is there, I think this will be a big hit.

Oh, but you should. You see, this is the 14th MCU film, two films into Phase Three. If it grossed only "500M WW," the Web would be ablaze with "WTF happened! This is Marvel! This isn't supposed to happen!"

So again, you need to, uh, get right on your axis. Even I've no problem estimating it'll do at least 600-700M WW. The title character is being played by a guy who is massively popular in Europe. Did you notice how much better Thor: The Dark World performed in Europe than the US? Doctor Strange is going to do extremely well abroad.

I'm going to see it. I go see all these movies — unlike you, who is content to bash something without going to see it for yourself. They have a word for that kind of person. :wink:
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:50 pm

I'm so jealous of Marvel's success that my hard earned money went into more than half of said Marvel films :lol: Can't get any dumber than this folks. Hey, it's not our fault a divisive, critically hated DCEU is a threat to Marvelites. They know all it takes is ONE critically acclaimed film and it's all ova. :lol:
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:28 pm

verslibre wrote:[
Didn't I just point out how the first three DCEU entries have grossed over 2 billion? So we're jealous how?

I don't care. Marvel has put forward a string of movies that as a whole far exceed what DC has done as far as being entertaining and something that I would want to watch. Marvel has built a "brand" that equates to being a studio that releases entertaining CBM's. DC/WB has built a brand of releasing mediocre CBM's that critics hate and only die-hard DC nerds seem to love.

No, you always try to piss in the punch.

The punch DC is serving has been made from toilet water anyway...you just don't like having that pointed out.

It's the equivalent of hearing two people talking about something at a party, and being unable to resist the desire to walk over and talk shit, "just because."

This is a discussion forum, not a party. I'm sorry that RT hates the last two DC movies. I'm sorry that the last two DC movies have had initial success and then had BAD falls in ticket sales. I'm sorry that they have had mixed reviews, at best. But, that is the truth. It is the truth you want to ignore and call "pissing in a punch bowl".

And you still have never explained why you don't want to the DCEU to exist. I suggest you start getting used to it, because it's not leaving.

I talked about this in the very beginning, you just forgot. DC had success with the three Batman films. MoS was a good reboot of Superman. DC could have set their own standard of high quality stand alone movies, or series. They could have let Marvel do their own thing with a shared universe, something they are good at....and DC could have continued doing what they are obviously good at. There was no reason to try to compete directly against Marvel with their own shared universe. It was a dumb decision when they had already set such a high standard. Now they are invested three movies into the DCEU with one decent movie (MoS), one crappy movie (BvS) and one very mediocre movie (SS). That, IMO, is a huge step BACKWARDS after the three Batman movies. DC has blown it now. Wonder Woman can still save it...but based on the recent past - I have my doubts.

I don't see you doing much to further the discussion in the Marvel thread, either.

I don't feel much desire to. What's the point?

Oh, but you should. You see, this is the 14th MCU film, two films into Phase Three. If it grossed only "500M WW," the Web would be ablaze with "WTF happened! This is Marvel! This isn't supposed to happen!"

If it's a good movie and I like it, so what? I'll just continue saying it is a good movie that should have performed better. The same way I feel about XM:A.

So again, you need to, uh, get right on your axis. Even I've no problem estimating it'll do at least 600-700M WW. The title character is being played by a guy who is massively popular in Europe. Did you notice how much better Thor: The Dark World performed in Europe than the US? Doctor Strange is going to do extremely well abroad.

I wouldn't underestimate Ben's popularity in the US either. When Sherlock first came out, I was posting about it in this forum...Nowadays, everybody knows him via Sherlock, ST:ID, and Smaug. But, he honestly was the perfect choice to play Doctor Strange...he simply has the look.

I'm going to see it. I go see all these movies — unlike you

I'm not going to pay to see a movie I know I'm not going to like. That's just stupid.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby S2M » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:04 am

Btw, in what universe is Aquaman a Hawaiian?

Ronon Dex? Yes

Khal Drogo? Yes

Aquaman? No
S2M
MP3

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:49 am

In what universe is Tony Stark a snarky wise-ass? Before 2008: none.

In what universe is Thor an Aussie who half-asses a Norse accent? Before 2011: none.

In what universe is Peter Quill a guy who acts exactly (I mean exactly) like Andy Dwyer? Before 2014: none.

:lol:
Last edited by verslibre on Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:10 am

Arthur Curry is the King of Atlantis and commander of the seven seas. Givin his back story and origin, it's not far fetched in the slightest that Arthur ' s ethnicity and impact to Haiwian and Samoan culture plays a role in his instincts to sea life and ruler of the ocean folk who have specific ties to how those cultures interact and what he could bring to Atlantean lifestyle. If there's any perfect casting, it's Momoa.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Arthur Curry is the King of Atlantis and commander of the seven seas. Givin his back story and origin, it's not far fetched in the slightest that Arthur ' s ethnicity and impact to Haiwian and Samoan culture plays a role in his instincts to sea life and ruler of the ocean folk who have specific ties to how those cultures interact and what he could bring to Atlantean lifestyle. If there's any perfect casting, it's Momoa.

Exactly. Aquaman shouldn't look like a guy who was born in the Netherlands.

And as people just love to point out repeatedly, film canon does not need to line up with comics canon. :lol:
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby S2M » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:57 am

verslibre wrote:In what universe is Tony Stark a snarky wise-ass? Before 2008: none.

In what universe is Thor an Aussie who half-asses a Norse accent? Before 2011: none.

In what universe is Peter Quill a guy who acts exactly (I mean exactly) like Andy Dwyer? Before 2014: none.

Wow.. you went 0 for 3. Pretty impressive. :lol:

I spoke to appearance, you replied to personality.

I agree that Momoa looks like a BETTER A-Man..but not what my point was.

Hollyweird just refuses to leave shit alone. They're always messing with shit.

An earlier comment was "praising" the choice of Cumberbatch for being cast as Doc Strange because he LOOKED like him FROM THE COMICS.

But in Aquaman's case the criteria is altogether different?
S2M
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:16 am

S2M wrote: I spoke to appearance, you replied to personality. An earlier comment was "praising" the choice of Cumberbatch for being cast as Doc Strange because he LOOKED like him FROM THE COMICS.

Peter David wrote Aquaman from 1990; 1994-1998. Not only did Peter David write Aquaman, his Aquaman story is regarded as one of the best runs Arthur had in comics. Now, I know this is CRAZY, but there ARE different interpretations of Aquaman known to the comic cannon. For instance, Ben Affleck's Batman is based off of Frank Millers 'The Dark Knight Returns' Batman. With that in mind, lets go ahead and try to piece together which interpretation of Momoa's Aquaman is based off of, shall we?

PLEASE, with all due respect, do NOT hurt yourself :lol:

PETER DAVID COMMENTS ON JASON MOMOA AS AQUAMAN
So now I’m reading comments from fans widely decrying the photo of Aquaman that Zack Snyder put up on Twitter. Apparently oblivious to the fact that it’s clearly my version of Arthur, fans are shouting that it looks nothing remotely like the DC Aquaman. Which I guess makes sense; mine was twenty years ago and that’s two generations of comics fans to have passed through and forgotten my iteration of the Sea King.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/p ... oa-aquaman
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby S2M » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:35 am

Travis....you always make me laugh. That's a good thing.

8)
S2M
MP3

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am

Yeah, you show 'em, Trav-el!

When we have the fking WRITERS of Aquaman and Suicide Squad (John Ostrander) giving kudos to what they see — castings, stories, screenings, whatever — there's no point in putting your head between the door and the jamb...

...unless, of course, you're S2M and Monker and whoever. :lol:

Btw, S2M, you contradicted yourself when you said Hollywood always messes with shit.

Yeah, they change stuff for the movies. It's not limited to appearances — which was my point. That's why now that audiences are used to Downey as Stark, a guy who plays a "serious" Stark is probably not going to fly.

The same goes for Star-Lord.

Casting actors just because they "look" like the character isn't always an automatic win, anyway. Schumacher obviously thought Clooney looked a fair bit like Bruce Wayne.

So why was Jen Garner cast as Elektra? She doesn't look remotely like the character. Ian McKellan's an old guy, but he doesn't really look like Magneto. (They should have gotten Stephen Lang.)
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:40 am

S2M wrote:Travis....you always make me laugh. That's a good thing.

8)

Steelers 34
Patriots 13

:wink:
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:47 am

verslibre wrote:Yeah, you show 'em, Trav-el!

Monker and S2M in this thread right now:

YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:26 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:06 am

S2M wrote:An earlier comment was "praising" the choice of Cumberbatch for being cast as Doc Strange because he LOOKED like him FROM THE COMICS.

Well, I didn't say he looked like him from the comics. I said "he simply has the look." I don't know much about how he looks in the comics...just a few bits I have seen. I suppose he does look like the art as far as I can tell. But, he has the smart look of a doctor (or Sherlock), but the bits you see with his robe on, and he definitely looks the part of a sorcerer, despite how he is drawn in the comics. Just going by the previews, I don't believe a better actor exists to play him.

But in Aquaman's case the criteria is altogether different?

Momoa was good casting. He's good at playing those He-Man type characters...which from the JL preview, that's a big part of his role. But, honestly, if you swapped Momoa and Hesnworth, the same people would be praising the casting of Hensworth as the perfect Aquaman, and blah, blah, blah. It's all just hype. As long as they didn't cast Pee-Wee Herman, they'd be praising it as the best Aquaman ever.

I
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:24 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Arthur Curry is the King of Atlantis and commander of the seven seas. Givin his back story and origin, it's not far fetched in the slightest that Arthur ' s ethnicity and impact to Haiwian and Samoan culture plays a role in his instincts to sea life and ruler of the ocean folk who have specific ties to how those cultures interact and what he could bring to Atlantean lifestyle. If there's any perfect casting, it's Momoa.

Yes, because we all know that "Arthur" and "Curry" are such native Hawaiian and Samoan names. Please. "Arthur" and "Curry" are very British or Scottish names. Given these are supposed to be "Atlantians", I assume that means they are from the sunken land of Atlantis...which is outside of the Pillars of Hercules in the Atlantic ocean....no where near the Pacific.

So, yeah, I'm sure a writer could imply Aquaman was influenced by any island in the Pacific...but to say he is FROM the Pacific is a farce.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:29 am

verslibre wrote:So why was Jen Garner cast as Elektra?

Because she looked good in tight leather.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:29 am

Where were you when it seemed like Joaquin Phoenix was going to get the gig?

verslibre
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Death By Stereo