Doctor Strange

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:33 am

Monker wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Arthur Curry is the King of Atlantis and commander of the seven seas. Givin his back story and origin, it's not far fetched in the slightest that Arthur ' s ethnicity and impact to Haiwian and Samoan culture plays a role in his instincts to sea life and ruler of the ocean folk who have specific ties to how those cultures interact and what he could bring to Atlantean lifestyle. If there's any perfect casting, it's Momoa.


Yes, because we all know that "Arthur" and "Curry" are such native Hawaiian and Samoan names. Please. "Arthur" and "Curry" are very British or Scottish names. Given these are supposed to be "Atlantians", I assume that means they are from the sunken land of Atlantis...which is outside of the Pillars of Hercules in the Atlantic ocean....no where near the Pacific.

So, yeah, I'm sure a writer could imply Aquaman was influenced by any island in the Pacific...but to say he is FROM the Pacific is a farce.


Can you please spell it Atlantean, for cryin' out loud? :lol:

Also, if you have such an issue with "Arthur Curry," let me ask you something:

What image pops into your head when you see this name: Agatha Bednarczuk.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4999
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Monker » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:05 pm

I don't think he fits the part anywhere near as well as Ben.

If it were filmed 50yrs ago, I'd say Roger Delgodo would have been perfect...especially if all you want is somebody who looks the same as the comic.

Image
verslibre wrote:Where were you when it seemed like Joaquin Phoenix was going to get the gig?
User avatar
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9387
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:20 pm

Monker wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Arthur Curry is the King of Atlantis and commander of the seven seas. Givin his back story and origin, it's not far fetched in the slightest that Arthur ' s ethnicity and impact to Haiwian and Samoan culture plays a role in his instincts to sea life and ruler of the ocean folk who have specific ties to how those cultures interact and what he could bring to Atlantean lifestyle. If there's any perfect casting, it's Momoa.


Yes, because we all know that "Arthur" and "Curry" are such native Hawaiian and Samoan names. Please. "Arthur" and "Curry" are very British or Scottish names. Given these are supposed to be "Atlantians", I assume that means they are from the sunken land of Atlantis...which is outside of the Pillars of Hercules in the Atlantic ocean....no where near the Pacific.

So, yeah, I'm sure a writer could imply Aquaman was influenced by any island in the Pacific...but to say he is FROM the Pacific is a farce.


You seem like a fun guy Monkey! Never lose that! :lol:
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby verslibre » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:44 pm

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:[
Didn't I just point out how the first three DCEU entries have grossed over 2 billion? So we're jealous how?


I don't care. Marvel has put forward a string of movies that as a whole far exceed what DC has done as far as being entertaining and something that I would want to watch. Marvel has built a "brand" that equates to being a studio that releases entertaining CBM's. DC/WB has built a brand of releasing mediocre CBM's that critics hate and only die-hard DC nerds seem to love.


Must be a shit-ton of DC die-hards out there, then. Last night, its third Friday. it still sold more tickets than every other movie somehow. I figured Kubo would sell more. Meanwhile, Pete's Dragon — the other movie I figured would clobber Suicide Squad — can't shore up enough momentum to gross the equivalent of its production budget.

The fact is, as more DC movies arrive, more people are going to see them. Everyone's going to go watch Wonder Woman. Everyone's going to go watch Justice League. Everyone's going to go watch The Batman. And you'll sit right there at work and type out your rants, and we'll rebut and have a good laugh. :lol:

Monker wrote:This is a discussion forum, not a party.


Look at you. Even George Costanza could show you a thing or two. :lol:

Monker wrote:I'm sorry that RT hates the last two DC movies. I'm sorry that the last two DC movies have had initial success and then had BAD falls in ticket sales. I'm sorry that they have had mixed reviews, at best. But, that is the truth. It is the truth you want to ignore and call "pissing in a punch bowl".


You're sorry, while IDGAF. :lol: RT is now "a thing," and yay for everyone for decided to follow it as of March 25, 2016.

The Force Awakens is at 92% and it grossed $2B. It must be one of the greatest films ever made! Fuck, no. It's another Avatar. Take away the nice VFX and you have a mediocre been-there-done-that story. But it was praised endlessly, which only showed Disney that they can get away with recycling a whole mess of story beats — so you just wait for them to do it again. And yes, Lando is coming back. I mean Billy Dee, too. But Star Wars fans won't/don't care. (Remember, those shitty prequels made so much money even with so many wall-to-wall bad performances, they came out of Carpet King by the roll!) The same fanboys who went and saw TFA 20 times in the theater will do it again.

Monker wrote:I talked about this in the very beginning, you just forgot. DC had success with the three Batman films. MoS was a good reboot of Superman. DC could have set their own standard of high quality stand alone movies, or series. They could have let Marvel do their own thing with a shared universe, something they are good at....and DC could have continued doing what they are obviously good at. There was no reason to try to compete directly against Marvel with their own shared universe. It was a dumb decision when they had already set such a high standard. Now they are invested three movies into the DCEU with one decent movie (MoS), one crappy movie (BvS) and one very mediocre movie (SS). That, IMO, is a huge step BACKWARDS after the three Batman movies. DC has blown it now. Wonder Woman can still save it...but based on the recent past - I have my doubts.


What a dumb thing to say. What were Fox and Sony doing...with properties they bought from Marvel in the 1996 fire sale? Exactly that. They're the reason Marvel Entertainment was established with a line of credit in the first place. Look at who distributed the first two Iron Man movies. It's Paramount, not Disney/BV. Disney hadn't purchased ME yet.

DC's shared universe was long, long, long overdue. Sorry, Charlie. It's not your call. And stop acting like the MCU is so perfect. It's anything but consistent in terms of quality. You're going to need a new post hole digger soon.

Image

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:I don't see you doing much to further the discussion in the Marvel thread, either.


I don't feel much desire to. What's the point?


My point is you obviously aren't that fired up about it.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Oh, but you should. You see, this is the 14th MCU film, two films into Phase Three. If it grossed only "500M WW," the Web would be ablaze with "WTF happened! This is Marvel! This isn't supposed to happen!"


If it's a good movie and I like it, so what? I'll just continue saying it is a good movie that should have performed better. The same way I feel about XM:A.


Yes, I've noticed the talk about RT ratings and box office earnings only comes out when the DCEU is being discussed (which is 98% of the time). X-M:A underperformed in no small way. No profit. Did not break even. Lukewarm feedback all over the place. Magneto burnout. Underdeveloped villain. But not a peep out of you because you liked it. Well, get ready for some course correction. Different director(s) and a lot more Deadpool comin' atcha. After 16 years and roughly a billion production dollars later (not even factoring in marketing), Fox finally noticed a property on which they can spend less and make more.

Monker wrote:I wouldn't underestimate Ben's popularity in the US either.


Nobody is. Just saying the foreign gross will be higher.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:I'm going to see it. I go see all these movies — unlike you


I'm not going to pay to see a movie I know I'm not going to like. That's just stupid.


That's your problem. You DON'T know if you're (not) going to like the movie. You're letting a row of YouTube critics decide for you. :roll: :lol:

So did you haul ass to see Kubo and the Two Strings, Pete's Dragon and Everybody Wants Some? :wink:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4999
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Monker » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:19 pm

verslibre wrote:Must be a shit-ton of DC die-hards out there, then. Last night, its third Friday.


It's up against a bunch of crap. Big deal.

I figured Kubo would sell more.


Of course it didn't. It's a mediocre kids movie. Come on, be realistic.

Meanwhile, Pete's Dragon — the other movie I figured would clobber Suicide Squad — can't shore up enough momentum to gross the equivalent of its production budget.


Because it wasn't that impressive in previews and is another mediocre kids movie...and the old movie is so completely different, it's not even going to get a nostalgia audience.

The fact is, as more DC movies arrive, more people are going to see them.


Well, duh. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

[quote[ Everyone's going to go watch Wonder Woman. Everyone's going to go watch Justice League. Everyone's going to go watch The Batman. And you'll sit right there at work and type out your rants, and we'll rebut and have a good laugh. :lol: [/quote]

First of all, I don't type posts at work. That's just an ignorant assumption on your part.

Second, it's also an assumption that "everyone" is going to see those movies. And, it's an assumption that I will think they are bad.

You're sorry, while IDGAF


Bullshit. You give a fuck. If you didn't give a fuck, you wouldn't be constantly arguing against the point in long diatribes.

The Force Awakens is at 92% and it grossed $2B. It must be one of the greatest films ever made! Fuck, no. It's another Avatar.


In YOUR opinion. IMO, TFA was everything it needed to be, and more...which is why it sold so well. If it were crap like the prequels, people wouldn't have been going back 10 times (your count) to see it.

Why are you so incredibly jealous of any success Disney has? If BvS had the numbers WB was expecting, I bet you would not feel the need to project your anger on Disney, as if they wronged you somehow. What SW:TFA did at the box office is so irrelevant to the DCEU that, IMO, you look silly even bringing it up. It's not Disney's fault that they know how to make an entertaining movie that sells better than anything WB and DC have dished up so far....THAT is WB and DC's fault...maybe you should direct your anger and frustration at them instead.

But it was praised endlessly, which only showed Disney that they can get away with recycling a whole mess of story beats — so you just wait for them to do it again.


Oh, STFU. I said in the beginning, over a year ago, that EVERY epic tale that has lasted through time has followed the Hero's Journey. That is a FACT. Disney KNOWS this. This isn't some recent thing. This has been going on since their resurgence in the early 90's. It is so ingrained in Disney that a screenplay will most likely be denied if it doesn't follow that pattern. Therefore, EVERY Disney movie from roughly 1991 on follows those "beats". "The Little Mermaid", "Lion King", "Mulon", "Alladin"....ALL OF THEM. And, most are loved to this day by the masses BECAUSE THEY FOLLOW THE HERO'S JOURNEY.

Here, read the memo written by screenwriter for Disney, this is what started it all and really revived Disney in the 1990's:
http://www.skepticfiles.org/atheist2/hero.htm

If you read that, and let it sink in, you will KNOW this is EXACTLY the "beats" that Wonder Woman will follow.

If it doesn't it will suck.

Monker wrote:I talked about this in the very beginning, you just forgot. DC had success with the three Batman films. MoS was a good reboot of Superman. DC could have set their own standard of high quality stand alone movies, or series. They could have let Marvel do their own thing with a shared universe, something they are good at....and DC could have continued doing what they are obviously good at. There was no reason to try to compete directly against Marvel with their own shared universe. It was a dumb decision when they had already set such a high standard. Now they are invested three movies into the DCEU with one decent movie (MoS), one crappy movie (BvS) and one very mediocre movie (SS). That, IMO, is a huge step BACKWARDS after the three Batman movies. DC has blown it now. Wonder Woman can still save it...but based on the recent past - I have my doubts.


What a dumb thing to say.


If you don't want to know the answer then don't ask the damn question.

What were Fox and Sony doing...with properties they bought from Marvel in the 1996 fire sale?


What Fox or Sony were doing is irrelevant. Were you going about thinking of how they were affecting DC as you were watching the next TDK film, or anticipating the next? They could have continued spoon feeding THEIR audience with quality film after quality film. But, they chose to try to play catch-up to Marvel. And, I think even you will admit, that NOTHING has come close to the TDK series of films. So sad that they, and people like you, have lowered their standards to the level of the turd that floats to the top of the toilet bowl as being the best film of the day.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:I don't see you doing much to further the discussion in the Marvel thread, either.


I don't feel much desire to. What's the point?


My point is you obviously aren't that fired up about it.


So, the only way I can be "fired up" for a future release of a movie is to go on and on about it on a discussion forum? Bleh. I will talk about stuff when I have a desire to talk about it....not to prove that I am "fired up" about it.

Yes, I've noticed the talk about RT ratings and box office earnings only comes out when the DCEU is being discussed


Well, I remember RWF metioning the RT score for CA:CW when it came out. You and YJF have both mentioned RT scores for the older Marvel films. It's not talked about as often because there is really nothing there that anybody disagrees with.

But, BvS and now SS DISAGREE with your opinion of the films..you are simply in the minority opinion and you refuse to believe it or accept it.

X-M:A underperformed in no small way. No profit. Did not break even. Lukewarm feedback all over the place. Magneto burnout. Underdeveloped villain. But not a peep out of you because you liked it.


I like it, and I said my piece about it...you even agreed with what I said, back then and again here. So, not much point about going on about it. It's over and done with.

Well, get ready for some course correction. Different director(s) and a lot more Deadpool comin' atcha.


That's fine with me...there NEEDS to be a Deadpool out there to bring this down to a sane level by being insane. You know, WB/DC, why so serious?

Monker wrote:I'm not going to pay to see a movie I know I'm not going to like. That's just stupid.


That's your problem.


LOL....now that is funny. I don't see it as a problem at all.

So did you haul ass to see Kubo and the Two Strings


Maybe next weekend...we'll see.

Pete's Dragon


Looks lame.

and Everybody Wants Some? :wink:


Don't know anything about that...except the VH song/video in "Better Off Dead", which was pretty good.
User avatar
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9387
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:09 am

It's up against a bunch of crap. Big deal.


And so were most, if not all, Marvel movies. One of the biggest applause Marvel Studio's gets dealt with is their selection of release dates that face little to no competition and when they DO face competition, say like, GotG going up against Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, it lose's the #1 spot, just as Captain America: Civil War did to Angry Birds. Funny how you downplay SSQUAD's impressive performances (spitting in the face of Weekend % drops) that when it IS performing well, it MUST be up against a bunch of crap but when, say, Man of Steel gets its legs chopped from BRUTAL competition in the 2013 summer season, there's NO reference to the competition cutting into its BO. For the DCEU, the competition only matters when it's up against a bunch of crap. Whatever it takes to fit into your narrative criteria. :lol:

Of course it didn't. It's a mediocre kids movie. Come on, be realistic.


85% of Marvel films are mediocre kids movies :lol: But, come on, be realistic. This is only coming into play because your never ending battle to bury DCEU movies, even in the midst of good BO performances.

Well, duh. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.


:|

First of all, I don't type posts at work. That's just an ignorant assumption on your part.


We all know these posts are coming from the first row of the movie theater. You claim to know so much about things you don't even watch. You remind me of those 'Late Night' shows where people interview Hillary supporters on the streets (and vice-versa) with Trump quotes and the so-called Hillary supporters seemingly agree with everything that is said without knowing they are really Donald Trump quotes. They really have no clue. You're simply taking other people's word for it.


Why are you so incredibly jealous of any success Disney has? If BvS had the numbers WB was expecting, I bet you would not feel the need to project your anger on Disney, as if they wronged you somehow. What SW:TFA did at the box office is so irrelevant to the DCEU that, IMO, you look silly even bringing it up. It's not Disney's fault that they know how to make an entertaining movie that sells better than anything WB and DC have dished up so far....THAT is WB and DC's fault...maybe you should direct your anger and frustration at them instead.


Before you accuse of others looking silly, you should try to NOT make these juvenile posts :lol: Careful you don't hurt yourself, reaching sometimes will cause injury.

Here, read the memo written by screenwriter for Disney, this is what started it all and really revived Disney in the 1990's:
http://www.skepticfiles.org/atheist2/hero.htm

If you read that, and let it sink in, you will KNOW this is EXACTLY the "beats" that Wonder Woman will follow.

If it doesn't it will suck.


I swear we haven't heard this before. Running out of material? You must be really good at chasing laser-pointers.

Image


What Fox or Sony were doing is irrelevant.


Ignorance.

They could have continued spoon feeding THEIR audience with quality film after quality film.


DC doesn't spoon feed like Marvel does. For the most part, DC and Marvel share the same audience. Most of these fans go to see these movies regardless and are one in the same in the genre. The difference is, DC tends to gear their product more towards a more adult general audience, not 10 year olds.

But, they chose to try to play catch-up to Marvel.


How did they choose to catch up to Marvel when they are obviously and factually Universe-building backwards? DC isn't doing things the Marvel way and most Marvelites fault them for it. They don't need to catch up to Marvel. The DCEU is in full swing and has gained traction. People are excited for Affleck's Batman, Gadot's Wonder Woman and Momoa's Aquaman. All it took was for one movie to accomplish that. For the record, it seems even Marvel themselves are playing catch up to their own universe considering all the reach-around's to get themselves in line for their next Avengers film.

And, I think even you will admit, that NOTHING has come close to the TDK series of films.


You're finally seeing the light. Yes, nothing will come close to TDK films. Well known.

So sad that they, and people like you, have lowered their standards to the level of the turd that floats to the top of the toilet bowl as being the best film of the day.


Lowering the standards? How can you say that when it's well documented that people hold DC to the highest standard because we DO have the Golden Standard to live up to with TDK? Seriously, the reason that some Marvel movies get a pass (like T:TDW; IM2; IM3; AoU; etc) is because the standard is the standard for Marvel films. For DC films, it's obvious people raise their standards so high that sometimes, it's impossible to reach. That's just the reality of it. You can have Thor or IM laugh it up and act like imbeciles, but slip up just once on Batman or Superman and everybody lose's their shit!

So, the only way I can be "fired up" for a future release of a movie is to go on and on about it on a discussion forum? Bleh. I will talk about stuff when I have a desire to talk about it....not to prove that I am "fired up" about it.


FINALLY. Thank you for admitting that you have a burning desire for the DCEU. Makes sense now. So what did you think about BvS and SSQUAD (WITHOUT cheating and looking over at Timmy's paper)? :lol:

Well, I remember RWF metioning the RT score for CA:CW when it came out. You and YJF have both mentioned RT scores for the older Marvel films.


Only in reference TO RWF's of mentioning RT scores and the topic of debate. When he comes in to play, that's all he references and that's how debates work.

But, BvS and now SS DISAGREE with your opinion of the films..you are simply in the minority opinion and you refuse to believe it or accept it.


And you are in the minority of somebody who has such a big mouth with so much to say without even watching these films. :lol:

So, not much point about going on about it. It's over and done with.


Hah! Right. Maybe this is where you should paste the Hero's Journey shtick again. 8)


That's fine with me...there NEEDS to be a Deadpool out there to bring this down to a sane level by being insane. You know, WB/DC, why so serious?


Quoting DC films? "I LIKE THAT."
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby verslibre » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:48 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Must be a shit-ton of DC die-hards out there, then. Last night, its third Friday.


It's up against a bunch of crap. Big deal.


Subjective.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:I figured Kubo would sell more.


Of course it didn't. It's a mediocre kids movie. Come on, be realistic.


I am. You're not. Animation is big bucks. You know it's "mediocre"? I've no interest in it, personally, but those types of films tend to do well. It's at 8.4 on IMDb, too. I guess a few people do like it.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Meanwhile, Pete's Dragon — the other movie I figured would clobber Suicide Squad — can't shore up enough momentum to gross the equivalent of its production budget.


Because it wasn't that impressive in previews and is another mediocre kids movie...and the old movie is so completely different, it's not even going to get a nostalgia audience.


Wrong again. It reviewed very well. Advance reviews gave it 4/5, 8-9/10, and it's (oh, boy, wait for it) 87% "Certified Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes, which is littered with positive reviews. It was also praised because it's completely different apart from its core premise. Critics complimented the director and cinematographer. I, myself, could care less. Still, I expected a movie like that to kick royal ass at the box office and it did anything but. But I don't feel this rabid desire to go "HAHAHA!! IT SUCKS!! DISNEY BLEW IT!! F U!!" :lol:

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:The fact is, as more DC movies arrive, more people are going to see them.


Well, duh. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.


Yeah, that's a hard one to argue, eh? :wink:

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Everyone's going to go watch Wonder Woman. Everyone's going to go watch Justice League. Everyone's going to go watch The Batman. And you'll sit right there at work and type out your rants, and we'll rebut and have a good laugh. :lol:


First of all, I don't type posts at work. That's just an ignorant assumption on your part.


We don't judge. :lol:

Monker wrote:Second, it's also an assumption that "everyone" is going to see those movies. And, it's an assumption that I will think they are bad.


Yes, assumptions are your forte (see: Pete's Dragon). "Everybody" as a point of context: people who watch and enjoy CBMs, not people who never go see CBMs and only watch war movies and romcoms. Of course, there are always a few people who will take RT's and Ding Dong Movie Reviews' numbers/feedback as gospel and skip seeing it in the theater and wait for the DVD. I know a good number of people who have watched BvS on DVD (some even accidentally watched the theatrical cut first) and liked it.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:You're sorry, while IDGAF


Bullshit. You give a fuck. If you didn't give a fuck, you wouldn't be constantly arguing against the point in long diatribes.


Look who's talking. You're allergic to brevity. :lol:

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:The Force Awakens is at 92% and it grossed $2B. It must be one of the greatest films ever made! Fuck, no. It's another Avatar.


In YOUR opinion. IMO, TFA was everything it needed to be, and more...which is why it sold so well. If it were crap like the prequels, people wouldn't have been going back 10 times (your count) to see it.


The suits told JJ "the movie's going to have every one of these, or find another movie to direct." That's why so much of the '77 film is in it, from a landing party starring the Big Bad (who turns out to be a Big Dork who gets Mary Sue'd) on a sand planet, complete with secret plans and a droid, to a cantina scene (that sucked compared to the original) to a romp through the NuDeath Starkiller (and a really weak Phasma who has nothing to do, but gives up some critical data rather easily), to another space battle with X-Wings that look like they never got a new paint job (I didn't mind the scissor wing config). So, yes, loads of familiar stuff, loads of contrivances, familiar beats galore, lazy characterization for Finn and Poe, all sandwiched within the bread of the all-too-inept Rebellion. I guess they have to be, because if they noticed The New Odor building that Starkiller, there wouldn't be a movie! :lol:

For the record, people DID go see those prequel films 5-10-15 times or whatever, because some Star Wars fans are gluttons for punishment.

Monker wrote:Why are you so incredibly jealous of any success Disney has? If BvS had the numbers WB was expecting, I bet you would not feel the need to project your anger on Disney, as if they wronged you somehow. What SW:TFA did at the box office is so irrelevant to the DCEU that, IMO, you look silly even bringing it up. It's not Disney's fault that they know how to make an entertaining movie that sells better than anything WB and DC have dished up so far....THAT is WB and DC's fault...maybe you should direct your anger and frustration at them instead.


^Assumptions galore! Come one, come all! No shoving...there's enough room for everybody!

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:But it was praised endlessly, which only showed Disney that they can get away with recycling a whole mess of story beats — so you just wait for them to do it again.


Oh, STFU. I said in the beginning, over a year ago, that EVERY epic tale that has lasted through time has followed the Hero's Journey. That is a FACT. Disney KNOWS this. This isn't some recent thing. This has been going on since their resurgence in the early 90's. It is so ingrained in Disney that a screenplay will most likely be denied if it doesn't follow that pattern. Therefore, EVERY Disney movie from roughly 1991 on follows those "beats". "The Little Mermaid", "Lion King", "Mulon", "Alladin"....ALL OF THEM. And, most are loved to this day by the masses BECAUSE THEY FOLLOW THE HERO'S JOURNEY.


Mulan? Aladdin? You'd better to stick to "STFU" and "Yo momma!" jokes.

Monker wrote:If you read that, and let it sink in, you will KNOW this is EXACTLY the "beats" that Wonder Woman will follow.


Wonder Woman's one of the oldest comic book characters still being published, still popular. Nobody's saying the HJ (haha) will be absent from the film's narrative. I said I know which variations of her origin they're going to adapt — and then Funker goes into a tailspin! She's a young Diana who leaves Themyscira and doesn't know the full extent of her powers. Quit fuckin' whining and watch the movie when it gets here. If you don't because you won't let yourself, well, they offer professional help for that. :lol:

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:I talked about this in the very beginning, you just forgot. DC had success with the three Batman films. MoS was a good reboot of Superman. DC could have set their own standard of high quality stand alone movies, or series. They could have let Marvel do their own thing with a shared universe, something they are good at....and DC could have continued doing what they are obviously good at. There was no reason to try to compete directly against Marvel with their own shared universe. It was a dumb decision when they had already set such a high standard. Now they are invested three movies into the DCEU with one decent movie (MoS), one crappy movie (BvS) and one very mediocre movie (SS). That, IMO, is a huge step BACKWARDS after the three Batman movies. DC has blown it now. Wonder Woman can still save it...but based on the recent past - I have my doubts.


What a dumb thing to say.


If you don't want to know the answer then don't ask the damn question.


LOL. You can't avoid being called you out for your wholesale dismissal of the DCEU. The MCU as a whole does not represent the zenith of the CBM genre. The one film commonly touted as the single best CBM (which you apparently agree with) doesn't even feature a Marvel character.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:What were Fox and Sony doing...with properties they bought from Marvel in the 1996 fire sale?


What Fox or Sony were doing is irrelevant. Were you going about thinking of how they were affecting DC as you were watching the next TDK film, or anticipating the next?


That's your specialty. Just replace Fox/Sony with DC/WB in your case.

Monker wrote:They could have continued spoon feeding THEIR audience with quality film after quality film. But, they chose to try to play catch-up to Marvel.


That's what I'm talking about. You won't quit with the "catch up to Marvel" bologna, as though DC had never ever, ever planned to put more than one superhero onscreen together at any one time. I already told you Superman was supposed to appear in Supergirl back in the '80s, and his photograph is in the film.

Shit, if you want to be technical, at least bring up Universal. The Universal Monsters are the original shared universe. :wink:

Monker wrote:And, I think even you will admit, that NOTHING has come close to the TDK series of films. So sad that they, and people like you, have lowered their standards to the level of the turd that floats to the top of the toilet bowl as being the best film of the day.


Still in a tailspin, I see. Aren't you getting dizzy? Or do you have a special ability to fend off vertigo, akin to Scott Baio's in Zapped! For the record, I think Man of Steel is one of the best CBMs, too, along with The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, BvS:UE, Iron Man, CA:TWS, and X-M:FC. For my money, Batman Begins is the single best origin film, and MoS/IM are right behind it. First Class is also a contender for best franchise reset because Matt Vaughn did a superb job (too bad Singer took back the reins). The Dark Knight Rises is a fine film, but it's far and away the most flawed of Nolan's. It's got problems the way Civil War has 'em.

Monker wrote:So, the only way I can be "fired up" for a future release of a movie is to go on and on about it on a discussion forum? Bleh. I will talk about stuff when I have a desire to talk about it....not to prove that I am "fired up" about it.


Right, you only go on a discussion forum to attempt to convince others they're wrong when it comes to their opinions on certain films, politics, etc.?

Image

Monker wrote:But, BvS and now SS DISAGREE with your opinion of the films..you are simply in the minority opinion and you refuse to believe it or accept it.


We're the outliers. We're the Rogues. Come out to playyyyyy! :lol:

verslibre wrote:That's fine with me...there NEEDS to be a Deadpool out there to bring this down to a sane level by being insane. You know, WB/DC, why so serious?


Serious has worked for DC just fine, and still does. Look what happened when Joel Schumacher made Batman & Robin. It bombed. It deserved to bomb. Never again. DC has plenty of characters that aren't on a Batman level of serious. You'll see them soon enough.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:That's your problem.


LOL....now that is funny. I don't see it as a problem at all.


Affected people usually don't. :wink:

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:So did you haul ass to see Kubo and the Two Strings


Maybe next weekend...we'll see.


Right on. Let us know how it goes.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Pete's Dragon


Looks lame.


I agree. Not into it.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:and Everybody Wants Some? :wink:


Don't know anything about that...except the VH song/video in "Better Off Dead", which was pretty good.


Everybody Wants Some!! is Richard Linklater's "spiritual sequel" (set in 1980) to Dazed and Confused. It came out a few months ago. He made it for 10 million bucks and it STILL bombed. Honestly, it didn't look that good. And I love D&C. (Hey, those letters again!)
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4999
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby verslibre » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:50 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
That's fine with me...there NEEDS to be a Deadpool out there to bring this down to a sane level by being insane. You know, WB/DC, why so serious?


Quoting DC films? "I LIKE THAT."


Image
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4999
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Deb » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:53 pm

S2M wrote:Btw, in what universe is Aquaman a Hawaiian?

Ronon Dex? Yes

Khal Drogo? Yes

Aquaman? No


Oh, don't even! :twisted: :lol:
Image Now Playing: If That's What It Takes (Live) ~ http://youtu.be/8g2TrEdi5ZQ
User avatar
Deb
MP3
 
Posts: 14921
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:23 am
Location: Gotta Love The Ride!

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:04 am

Don't be so easy on 'em Deb! 'Git em! :wink:
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Monker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:44 pm

Actually, I doubt Conan is Hawaiian, ether. So, maybe that's a good example of the type and quality of movie Aquaman will be.

Deb wrote:
S2M wrote:Btw, in what universe is Aquaman a Hawaiian?

Ronon Dex? Yes

Khal Drogo? Yes

Aquaman? No


Oh, don't even! :twisted: :lol:
User avatar
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9387
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:28 pm

Holy fuck, Aquaman hasn't started filming yet and Monk is already talking the quality of the film, lmao. Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you :lol:
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Deb » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:54 pm

Monker wrote:Actually, I doubt Conan is Hawaiian, ether. So, maybe that's a good example of the type and quality of movie Aquaman will be.



Wrong. Born in Honolulu, Hawaii.

LOL, his and Lisa Bonett's kids names might give his heritage away too. :lol: Lola Iolani Momoa and Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa

I really don't know much about DC or Marvel comics, but casting Jason Momoa as Aquaman will get me in the theatre for that one. I've seen everything else he has been in so why stop now. I think it will kick ass for most of the DC fans (unless your into the pansy fish boy character :lol: then this won't be your cup of tea). No stunt double for that dude..............he grew up in the water, still surfs, etc. I guess time will tell eh.

Wasn't much of a Ben Affleck fan either, but I actually quite liked him as Batman.
Image Now Playing: If That's What It Takes (Live) ~ http://youtu.be/8g2TrEdi5ZQ
User avatar
Deb
MP3
 
Posts: 14921
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:23 am
Location: Gotta Love The Ride!

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Deb » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:11 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Holy fuck, Aquaman hasn't started filming yet and Monk is already talking the quality of the film, lmao. Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you :lol:


Gotta luv ya Trav, you have no problem giving props to who your fave actors, characters. musicians, are. For the most part the better looking, more muscular, etc. the actor is the dumber, less talented he must be, right?, to most males. Don't get me wrong females do the same for the most part. Just shows your comfortable enough in your own skin to get all fanboy/give props for what ever you feel. Keep it up!
Image Now Playing: If That's What It Takes (Live) ~ http://youtu.be/8g2TrEdi5ZQ
User avatar
Deb
MP3
 
Posts: 14921
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:23 am
Location: Gotta Love The Ride!

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby S2M » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:37 am

Sorry, most of these casting choices are to cater to the XX chromosome demographic, and get them in the theater.

Momoa is great, if he doesn't open his mouth...just like Eric Martin. :lol: :wink:
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
User avatar
S2M
MP3
 
Posts: 11810
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:43 am
Location: In a bevy of whimsy

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:27 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Holy fuck, Aquaman hasn't started filming yet and Monk is already talking the quality of the film, lmao. Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you :lol:


Post-digger boy didn't complain when Lou Diamond Phillips (who is Filipino, Cherokee and Scots-Irish) was cast as Ritchie Valens. :lol:

Or when House of the Spirits went into production with Glenn Close, Meryl Streep, Winona Ryder and Jeremy Irons playing Chileans. :lol:

#BecauseDCEU
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4999
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:29 am

Deb wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Holy fuck, Aquaman hasn't started filming yet and Monk is already talking the quality of the film, lmao. Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you :lol:


Gotta luv ya Trav, you have no problem giving props to who your fave actors, characters. musicians, are. For the most part the better looking, more muscular, etc. the actor is the dumber, less talented he must be, right?, to most males. Don't get me wrong females do the same for the most part. Just shows your comfortable enough in your own skin to get all fanboy/give props for what ever you feel. Keep it up!


Thanks Deb! :D And trust me, I always felt the same way for you! I guess it's just a natural instinct of mine. When I'm passionate about something, I tend to choose the front line of the war and go all in with it. Once you commit, it's go-time lol. It's quite fun and I basically do it with any forms of entertainment that I'm into! Though, sometimes being on the opposite end of the spectrum could be painful when you have to fess up about certain things, but whoever sticks up for whatever they're passionate about, the better they are for it 8)
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:31 am

verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Holy fuck, Aquaman hasn't started filming yet and Monk is already talking the quality of the film, lmao. Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you :lol:


Post-digger boy didn't complain when Lou Diamond Phillips (who is Filipino, Cherokee and Scots-Irish) was cast as Ritchie Valens. :lol:


My heart. My damn heart. La Bamba is my ALL TIME favorite movie. Hands down, #1. I've been watching that film since I was 2 years old (just like the Fleischer cartoons and Reeve Supes movies! :wink: ) Ah, Ritchie Valens. The Day the Music Died. RIP Ritchie; Big Bopper and Buddy Holy. :(


#BecauseDCEU


Hah! Too true :lol: :lol:
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby verslibre » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:27 am

"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4999
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Previous

Return to Death By Stereo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests