Chicago replaces Jason Scheff on lead vocals and bass

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Chicago replaces Jason Scheff on lead vocals and bass

Postby tj » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:46 pm

Chicago announced this week on Facebook that they have replaced their lead singer and bassist, Jason Scheff, after 30 years with the band. The usual "we thank him, wish him well, bs." Scheff has been on a leave to deal with family issues for a few months, but said specifically about it a couple of months ago that he was still a member and not going anywhere.

Obviously, something was up. The band is in the middle of a tour with Earth wind and fire. It's similar to how they replaced Bill Champlin several years ago. Dropped him with little prior notice while touring. What's odd to me is that the only original member left who hasn't taken time off during a tour the past few years is Robert Lamm. All 3 of the horn players have been out for one reason or another. Most of the recent YouTube video I have seen has a fill in on sax.

I guess it goes to show that 30 years doesn't mean that you will be there forever.
tj
Cassette Tape

Re: Chicago replaces Jason Scheff on lead vocals and bass

Postby verslibre » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:13 am

Another band far past its prime that needs to call it a day. Sorry.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:59 pm

Bill Champlin quit. He was tired of doing the same songs every night, the same way and burned out. Andrew should have that interview if I remember correctly, but I read an interview somewhere by Champlin, and he said as much. Champlin wanted to do his own music.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/16/Octobe ... ears.shtml

And

http://newsok.com/article/3399868
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:20 pm

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:Bill Champlin quit. He was tired of doing the same songs every night, the same way and burned out. Andrew should have that interview if I remember correctly, but I read an interview somewhere by Champlin, and he said as much. Champlin wanted to do his own music.

And

I'm not sure that I could find them now, but I read a couple of interviews with Champlin at the time that left a strong impression that he was let go. He was OK with it, acknowledging that musically he was at a different place than what Chicago wanted to do, but still surprised. I'll look for them.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:30 pm

tj wrote:
K.C.Journey Fan wrote:Bill Champlin quit. He was tired of doing the same songs every night, the same way and burned out. Andrew should have that interview if I remember correctly, but I read an interview somewhere by Champlin, and he said as much. Champlin wanted to do his own music.

And

I'm not sure that I could find them now, but I read a couple of interviews with Champlin at the time that left a strong impression that he was let go. He was OK with it, acknowledging that musically he was at a different place than what Chicago wanted to do, but still surprised. I'll look for them.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2011/06 ... REVIEWS%29
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:59 am

"Champlin, in the latest SER Sitdown, makes it clear that he didn’t quit. “I was fired two days after the American release of my album,” he told us. “It made me look like an asshole that I would walk away in the middle of the tour. I had no idea that would happen, though I should have seen it coming. It was a lot of things.”

I guess that says it all. I stand corrected. Big mistake by Chicago to let him go. From what I was hearing about Jason Scheff, his voice was gone anyway. Champlin can still sing. Good lord, Scheff has to be pushing 70. My son saw Bob Dylan last weekend and talked about how everyone was saying he couldn't sing anymore at the concert. I said hell, he couldn't sing in the 60's. Did you think decades of time would improve it? You went to see history. You saw history. Myself, I haven't been to a Chicago concert since the 90's. They've come here twice in the past three years, I had no desire to see them. To me, like the Beach Boys, they are simply kicking a dead horse. I wish Toto would have come here. Thanks for posting this. I always thought Champlin was simply burned out on Chicago and wanted to do his own thing. After all, he must be pushing 70 himself.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:27 am

Jason Scheff is 54! :lol:
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:43 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:"Champlin, in the latest SER Sitdown, makes it clear that he didn’t quit. “I was fired two days after the American release of my album,” he told us. “It made me look like an asshole that I would walk away in the middle of the tour. I had no idea that would happen, though I should have seen it coming. It was a lot of things.”

I guess that says it all. I stand corrected. Big mistake by Chicago to let him go. From what I was hearing about Jason Scheff, his voice was gone anyway. Champlin can still sing. Good lord, Scheff has to be pushing 70. My son saw Bob Dylan last weekend and talked about how everyone was saying he couldn't sing anymore at the concert. I said hell, he couldn't sing in the 60's. Did you think decades of time would improve it? You went to see history. You saw history. Myself, I haven't been to a Chicago concert since the 90's. They've come here twice in the past three years, I had no desire to see them. To me, like the Beach Boys, they are simply kicking a dead horse. I wish Toto would have come here. Thanks for posting this. I always thought Champlin was simply burned out on Chicago and wanted to do his own thing. After all, he must be pushing 70 himself.

Champlin's statements have been a little ambiguous, I think, since most of the questions he is asked are about current projects. This was the only example that I found where he specifically stated that he was fired.

I have never been a big fan of him specifically, but appreciate his work and talent. Same with Scheff. His bass playing is really good.

I love most of Chicago music, with the exception of the Diane Warren crap from the late 80s that the label forced on them. Even their newest album from a couple of years ago had some good music.

They have toured every year for almost 50 years consecutively. Robert Lamm's voice still holds up well, but I imagine that Scheff's tenor is much more difficult to control for him at his age. Not a bad voice, but hard to sing like he used to.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:18 am

I hate to see Jason go, as much as I hated to Bill leave. I did not really become a Chicago fan until Bill joined and then went back and listened to their stuff. Bill and Peter had a good chemistry going on with each other that was missing from their 70's stuff. I was surprised that I like Jason when he joined. Took me a little bit to get use to his voice, but by the second release with him I liked him better than Cetera. Jason and Bill made an even better combination together than Bill and Peter.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby tj » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:08 am

This probably has something to do with it.
I can't imagine giving up a 30 year gig to do an American Idol wanna be show on MTV. Also, he looks in this picture like he's had some work done on his face.

http://kwbe.com/abc_classicr/chicago-si ... d35788690/
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:28 am

verslibre wrote:Jason Scheff is 54! :lol:

He is much younger them I thought. I know more about his Dad. He must have felt like a little kid when he joined Chicago.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:53 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:
verslibre wrote:Jason Scheff is 54! :lol:

He is much younger them I thought. I know more about his Dad. He must have felt like a little kid when he joined Chicago.

:D
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:33 pm

Not surprised. I saw them in August and paid pretty good money for the tix. Showed up to the venue having NO idea Scheff was then on hiatus and began panicking that the show would be terrible. But the fill-in -- and hopefully permanent replacement -- Jeff Coffey, is awesome (and has a couple great solo CDs in his own right). Given how good Coffey was, it was very obvious leaving the venue that Scheff would never play with Chicago again. Scheff is by all accounts an awesome guy, but even he would admit his voice has been struggling for at least a decade.

I get so sick of people blindly saying a legacy band is "done" just because some members aren't there anymore. Use your ears. The show I saw was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Now, in contrast, listen to Journey live. THAT's a band that's done.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:43 pm

I would not say Journey is done, but they are standing on one leg that has a bad knee and a twisted ankle.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:50 am

When bands turn into their own tribute bands, like Yes and Chicago have, then, yeah, maybe it is time to call it.

Even Blue Oyster Cult, a band without an original offering in nearly 15 years, still has its two most important members at the helm (they had three, but Allen Lanier left in 2007, and passed away in 2013).
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:28 am

Abitaman wrote:I would not say Journey is done, but they are standing on one leg that has a bad knee and a twisted ankle.

I just don't understand this. They are doing great business. When the crowds start to shrink, not increase, is when I think you can say things are dwindling down. Since 98, they have increased over time to being an act that brings quite the crowd to each show, each year. It will fade soon enough, but it's not there yet.

Album sales, they are already on the other side of the grass, but as a band, I don't think so.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:59 pm

Memorex wrote:
Abitaman wrote:I would not say Journey is done, but they are standing on one leg that has a bad knee and a twisted ankle.

I just don't understand this. They are doing great business. When the crowds start to shrink, not increase, is when I think you can say things are dwindling down. Since 98, they have increased over time to being an act that brings quite the crowd to each show, each year. It will fade soon enough, but it's not there yet.

Album sales, they are already on the other side of the grass, but as a band, I don't think so.

Chicago doesn't seem to play to huge crowds, but then never has. They continually draw a good average though, every year for almost 50 years consecutively. The music live still sounds awesome and they change it up fairly often. 4 of the original 7 guys are still there, so I suppose that should be worth something.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:08 pm

Memorex wrote:

Journey, mush like most of the bands from that time, do not seem to want to be more than a best of band. Chicago even fits into this.
But Journey seems to be pulled into different directions by it members, and the band is a side project. It seems to me, that Journey will so crash into a heap, unless the band comes together as a band or gets some new blood that will light a fire in them.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:11 am

Abitaman wrote:
Journey, mush like most of the bands from that time, do not seem to want to be more than a best of band. Chicago even fits into this.
But Journey seems to be pulled into different directions by it members, and the band is a side project. It seems to me, that Journey will so crash into a heap, unless the band comes together as a band or gets some new blood that will light a fire in them.

They could just stop. No announcement, just dont' do anything more. Like they did 30 years ago. No "Farewell Tour", etc. is needed. Let the music stand for itself, the memories of the fans be their own and everyone go their own way.
tj
Cassette Tape

Return to Death By Stereo