Bryan Adams

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Bryan Adams

Postby Memorex » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:47 am

Saw him last night. First off - SO much better than I thought it would be. I wasn't hooked on the new album after one listen, but the new songs last night (he played six of them) sounded so good. The whole show was high energy and great.

One thing I was happy about - he stopped the show twice (between songs) to tell some lady up front to shut the fuck up (my words, not his). He was saying it was bothering him that he could hear her talking all through his songs.

I've mentioned this here before, but people talking during shows has made it almost unbearable for me to go anymore. The lack of consideration is astounding. So he maybe did 5 pretty slow songs on the acoustic at various points. Every time the talking was damn near louder than the song. I don't understand why these people don't spend that money on a really nice dinner where they can chat with their friends all night. Why be interrupted by an actual concert? I've taken to spending more money to sit closer hoping to avoid the talkers, which sucks. Doesn't seem to be working. The guy behind me all night was talking about how long he thought Bryan might play. 45 minutes? An hour? Two hours? The whole fucking night. How about shut the fuck up and we'll all find out together? Oh, and while you are not talking, we can actually hear a great show.

But I digress. Going to give that new album a second chance for sure.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Re: Bryan Adams

Postby AR » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:22 pm

Deano loved Bryan Adams. Always preached to me about him.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tj » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:12 am

AR wrote:Deano loved Bryan Adams. Always preached to me about him.

With BA and Springsteen, Deano would bludgeon anyone who dared speak ill of either or try to elevate another band above them. His smackdowns were awesome and I was privileged to be the recipient of a few. I miss him.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:20 pm

Ok, I'm back after listening to the album a few times with my concert experience in mind. I will say this album is much better than I gave it credit for originally. Too short though. Filled in with acoustic versions of 4 songs that we don't need.

I went and read Andrews review. I agree that Adams has not been his best over the last several albums. But I've gotten the feeling he is doing what he is feeling these days and I'd much rather have that then Reckless 2 that he may despise doing. I do not like contrived fake music. If his artistic mind is not at Reckless, fine, please don't give me Reckless. I'll know you were full of shit and I won't enjoy it. Perfect example is Revolution Saints. Good enough, but so contrived I can't stand listening.

Now, I am a Jeff Lynne fan, so it's nice to hear him on here. But to be honest, it's what turned me off in the first place. But now I kind of like it. His stamp does get a little heavy though.

Seeing these songs live completely changed my opinion. He played 6 new ones and no one left to the bathroom or to get another beer. In fact, more people left (and talked) when he did the slower stuff. The crowd was completely into the new stuff.

I guess I need to give things a few listens sometimes.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby brywool » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:47 am

Ah, Deano's BA love. Priceless. He was a fun guy.

I am amazed by how much I like Bryan Adams. Thought I was sick of him after all the movie stuff. It just got to be so old - New movie! Here's a Bryan Adams ballad! I actually like his last few albums quite a bit (room service, on a day like today, 18 til I die, 11) and I listen to them a lot. I'm a big Wilbury/Harrison/Lynne guy, but I also didn't like his work with Adams. It just didn't fit somehow.

Man, I do like the fact that Adams told the gal to shut up, though it's also a bit rude. I always wondered why 'old people' were so cranky. Being 54 now, I know. They're tired of putting up with other people's crap. We can't go to the movies without someone yakking through it all, eating in your ear, or the whole thing of when they bring kids too small and they spend the entire time explaining what's going on to the kids. Ugh. Thank God for big screen tvs.

At concerts, you see these people that don't know the songs (because they're just going to go, not because they're big fans) and because they don't know the tunes, they're just yakking and being idiots through the whole show. Went to see Muse a few months back, and this gal in front of us was completely wasted dancing like she was at a Grateful Dead show and it was just clear that she was just doing it to do it, not because she was into the band whatsoever.

Then there's the whole "watch the concert through a cell phone" thing. Went to the McCartney show a few years ago in Seattle. I was in the 8th row, which was very cool. However, when The Man walks out on stage, everyone's arms went up with their cell phones and iPads (??) and stayed up through the entire show. I had to watch the show through the crook of someone's arm. Having said that, I'd love to see a video of Bryan Adams telling the gal to shut up.

Went to the Gin Blossoms about a year and a half ago. Very small venue. There were these 50-something gals that were just doing ANYTHING to be seen. They kept running up to the front of the stage, and just going way over the top, etc. Girls night out, I guess. They were sitting in front of my wife and I at first, and they CLEARLY didn't know the band or their songs. They just came out to do something. But because it was such a small venue, they ran up to the front of the stage demanding that the band do something for their one friend's birthday. It was embarrassing. Oops, I've ranted.

Glad that Adams is still playing and writing good tunes. It's too bad that there's nobody out there buying stuff by these guys anymore in the big numbers that they used to sell.

By the way, Bryan Adam's Live Unplugged album is a masterpiece of a live album. Absolutely the best thing he's done in my book. Great.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Memorex » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:14 am

brywool wrote:Ah, Deano's BA love. Priceless. He was a fun guy.

I am amazed by how much I like Bryan Adams. Thought I was sick of him after all the movie stuff. It just got to be so old - New movie! Here's a Bryan Adams ballad! I actually like his last few albums quite a bit (room service, on a day like today, 18 til I die, 11) and I listen to them a lot. I'm a big Wilbury/Harrison/Lynne guy, but I also didn't like his work with Adams. It just didn't fit somehow.

Man, I do like the fact that Adams told the gal to shut up, though it's also a bit rude. I always wondered why 'old people' were so cranky. Being 54 now, I know. They're tired of putting up with other people's crap. We can't go to the movies without someone yakking through it all, eating in your ear, or the whole thing of when they bring kids too small and they spend the entire time explaining what's going on to the kids. Ugh. Thank God for big screen tvs.

At concerts, you see these people that don't know the songs (because they're just going to go, not because they're big fans) and because they don't know the tunes, they're just yakking and being idiots through the whole show. Went to see Muse a few months back, and this gal in front of us was completely wasted dancing like she was at a Grateful Dead show and it was just clear that she was just doing it to do it, not because she was into the band whatsoever.

Then there's the whole "watch the concert through a cell phone" thing. Went to the McCartney show a few years ago in Seattle. I was in the 8th row, which was very cool. However, when The Man walks out on stage, everyone's arms went up with their cell phones and iPads (??) and stayed up through the entire show. I had to watch the show through the crook of someone's arm. Having said that, I'd love to see a video of Bryan Adams telling the gal to shut up.

Went to the Gin Blossoms about a year and a half ago. Very small venue. There were these 50-something gals that were just doing ANYTHING to be seen. They kept running up to the front of the stage, and just going way over the top, etc. Girls night out, I guess. They were sitting in front of my wife and I at first, and they CLEARLY didn't know the band or their songs. They just came out to do something. But because it was such a small venue, they ran up to the front of the stage demanding that the band do something for their one friend's birthday. It was embarrassing. Oops, I've ranted.

Glad that Adams is still playing and writing good tunes. It's too bad that there's nobody out there buying stuff by these guys anymore in the big numbers that they used to sell.

By the way, Bryan Adam's Live Unplugged album is a masterpiece of a live album. Absolutely the best thing he's done in my book. Great.

He wasn't rude. It was more like pleading. He couldn't concentrate. You could just feel his frustration.

I have a Dennis DeYoung show coming up. I went last year to the same place to see him and sat back a bit. I am past the stage of needing to be close. I just want to hear it. The table in front of us talked the entire night. Didn't even look at the show. It was insane. So this time I paid more money to sit close, which I don't need, in the hopes that people up there want to actually hear the man sing. I'm sitting really close at the Eddie Money/Starship show in a couple weeks as well. Hoping for the best.

That unplugged album is insanely good. Which is why I wanted to hear the slower stuff, which he was doing with just him on guitar, but instead I heard everyone else.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:21 am

one of my favorite "rock" Christmas songs,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRJe1cm-8ms

Wish this along with Keep it Evergreen by Jimi would have stayed radio Christmas staples.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:18 pm

1983 poster for Journey/Bryan Adams poster that he posted today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOfnacBh57X/
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:14 am

brywool wrote:Ah, Deano's BA love. Priceless. He was a fun guy.

What's up, Bry? All of your rants resonate with me and I'm a little younger than you. I fucking HATE the cell phones at concert thing more than probably anything else you mentioned. It's just so fucking obnoxious.

How were the Gin Blossoms? I last saw them about three years ago and I was VERY disappointed relative to past shows. Robin Wilson was clearly hammered and off his vocal game and the band did not sound tight or good at all. Was sad to see, and I've been hoping it was an anomaly.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Return to Death By Stereo