The Cassette Chronicles

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:20 am

User avatar
TageRyche
8 Track
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby Memorex » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:42 am



I prefer this album to the debut. Particularly Neal's work.
User avatar
Memorex
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3308
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 pm

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:32 am

Memorex wrote:


I prefer this album to the debut. Particularly Neal's work.


Thanks for checking out my piece!
User avatar
TageRyche
8 Track
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:18 am

User avatar
TageRyche
8 Track
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:36 am



The album that gave metal a much-needed shot in the arm in the late '80s. O:M bridged the gap between Rush and Maiden just like Fates Warning did with No Exit, but with a much higher profile. Thankfully, O:M kept QR from veering into early retirement, too.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:53 am

verslibre wrote:


The album that gave metal a much-needed shot in the arm in the late '80s. O:M bridged the gap between Rush and Maiden just like Fates Warning did with No Exit, but with a much higher profile. Thankfully, O:M kept QR from veering into early retirement, too.


I liked everything they did through Hear In The Now Frontier. Then came a lot of bad albums until Operation: mindcrime II. Then came more bad, the breakup and then finally a couple pretty good albums in Condition Human and The Verdict.
User avatar
TageRyche
8 Track
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:33 am

TageRyche wrote:
verslibre wrote:


The album that gave metal a much-needed shot in the arm in the late '80s. O:M bridged the gap between Rush and Maiden just like Fates Warning did with No Exit, but with a much higher profile. Thankfully, O:M kept QR from veering into early retirement, too.


I liked everything they did through Hear In The Now Frontier. Then came a lot of bad albums until Operation: mindcrime II. Then came more bad, the breakup and then finally a couple pretty good albums in Condition Human and The Verdict.


I dropped off after the spotty Promised Land. Everything through Empire is essential, IMO. I saw them at the Long Beach Arena on the Empire tour and they were incredible. Unbelievably good. Warrior Soul opened and they were good, too.

Yes to the recent Tate-free albums.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:50 am

verslibre wrote:
I dropped off after the spotty Promised Land. Everything through Empire is essential, IMO. I saw them at the Long Beach Arena on the Empire tour and they were incredible. Unbelievably good. Warrior Soul opened and they were good, too.

Yes to the recent Tate-free albums.


The first Queensryche album with La Torre (released around the same time that Tate released an album under the QR banner due to the judge's ruling in the lawsuit) was mediocre at best.

I saw Warrior Soul on that same tour. They got booed off the stage in Boston because the singer was a total dick. He yelled at the crowd and that was a bad move in Boston.
User avatar
TageRyche
8 Track
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:16 am

TageRyche wrote:The first Queensryche album with La Torre (released around the same time that Tate released an album under the QR banner due to the judge's ruling in the lawsuit) was mediocre at best.


I stopped spinning that one kinda quick, too. The next album's MUCH better.

TageRyche wrote:I saw Warrior Soul on that same tour. They got booed off the stage in Boston because the singer was a total dick. He yelled at the crowd and that was a bad move in Boston.


Kory didn't even talk to us, from what I recall. I saw them two nights in the same venue. The drummer was really on, too.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:35 am

verslibre wrote:
TageRyche wrote:I saw Warrior Soul on that same tour. They got booed off the stage in Boston because the singer was a total dick. He yelled at the crowd and that was a bad move in Boston.


Kory didn't even talk to us, from what I recall. I saw them two nights in the same venue. The drummer was really on, too.


The rest of the band actually sounded decent. But Kory Clarke was rambling on about something in between songs and since the crowd was still filing in, no one was really paying attention to him. He actually said, "Hey, I'm talking up here!" and that set off the boo birds.
User avatar
TageRyche
8 Track
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby verslibre » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:47 am

Too bad Damn the Machine was too new at the time (no album yet) to have opened for QR. But then Chris Poland might have made Wilton and DeGarmo uncomfortable. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:16 am

verslibre wrote:Too bad Damn the Machine was too new at the time (no album yet) to have opened for QR. But then Chris Poland might have made Wilton and DeGarmo uncomfortable. :lol:


I saw Geoff Tate in concert on Sunday night and he put on a really great show. That surprised me.
User avatar
TageRyche
8 Track
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby verslibre » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:26 am

TageRyche wrote:
verslibre wrote:Too bad Damn the Machine was too new at the time (no album yet) to have opened for QR. But then Chris Poland might have made Wilton and DeGarmo uncomfortable. :lol:


I saw Geoff Tate in concert on Sunday night and he put on a really great show. That surprised me.


Who does the band consist of now? Is it still the Sarzo bros with Kelly and Simon?
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:26 am

verslibre wrote:
Who does the band consist of now? Is it still the Sarzo bros with Kelly and Simon?


The band is people I've never really heard of before.

Jack Ross on bass, Kieran Robertson on guitar, Scott Moughton on guitar and Felix Bohnke (from Avantasia) on drums. And Tate's daughter Emily performs the role of "Sister Mary".
User avatar
TageRyche
8 Track
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:58 am

User avatar
TageRyche
8 Track
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:14 am

User avatar
TageRyche
8 Track
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby verslibre » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:53 am



One of the tapes I certainly wore out back in the day. This was my fave Lepp back then, but it's High 'N Dry now.

I can't even listen to Hysteria or anything past that. Just '80-'83!
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby Memorex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:58 am



Right before they started to suck. I can barely make it through any song of theirs after this album. It's like nails on a chalkboard. For you young kids that don't know what a chalkboard is, it's like an airhorn in my ear.
User avatar
Memorex
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3308
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 pm

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby scarab » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 am

thanks much for this review,

I agree to a point after pyromania they went downhill, I love that album. But could never get into Hysteria. Except for Love Bites.
Too much power pop.

But there are some awesome songs on Euphoria, Paper Sun, Promises, and this track which is my favorite song since pyromania,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nalx1FjZ9M

I
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:53 am

verselibre, Memorex and scarab - I appreciate you taking the time to read the article and comment. We have different opinions of the quality of the band after this album but I appreciate what you all have to say.
User avatar
TageRyche
8 Track
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:11 pm

User avatar
TageRyche
8 Track
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am

Previous

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests