Mellencamp's New Release

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Mellencamp's New Release

Postby Memorex » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:54 am

I'm a big Mellencamp fan but haven't found too much of his stuff interesting for quite a while. I'm not into the whole protest song stuff.

The new album is still that protest stuff, but with a pop sensibility thrown in and it is the best thing he's done in a decade or more. The song "What Kind of Man am I" is a fucking masterpiece. Took a few days for me to get the whole album, but now that I have, it's a total joy to listen to. I don't necessarily agree with all the shit he says, but man he knows how to say it.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Re: Mellencamp's New Release

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:50 am

I bought it a week or two ago. Still have yet to listen to it. I use to be a big Mellencamp fan, but his stuff starting with Cutting Heads has been very lackluster. Maybe this will be better, from what you said it sounds like it.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Memorex » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:31 am

Abitaman wrote:I bought it a week or two ago. Still have yet to listen to it. I use to be a big Mellencamp fan, but his stuff starting with Cutting Heads has been very lackluster. Maybe this will be better, from what you said it sounds like it.

Don't go in expecting Pink Houses or Small Town. Lots of hints of the John Mellencamp album, which is one of my faves.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Fact Finder wrote:
The song "What Kind of Man am I" is a fucking masterpiece.

yep

31:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ39dqSB9gY

Thanks for that. very cool. I'll watch.

I played All Night Talk Radio for my kids today and they actually really liked it. I was surprised.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Memorex wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:
The song "What Kind of Man am I" is a fucking masterpiece.

yep

31:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ39dqSB9gY

Thanks for that. very cool. I'll watch.

I played All Night Talk Radio for my kids today and they actually really liked it. I was surprised.

Reading about the album, All Night Talk Radio was recorded back in 1996 for the Happy Go Lucky record. When I first heard the song I thought it sounded like that album and that his voice was far less rough. Now I know why.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara