Page 1 of 1

The Who Concert Tragedy 1979

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 am
by Journey/Survivor
I was 7 years old when this tragic event happened. I remember seeing the "WKRP IN Cincinnati" episode when it first aired in early 1980 that discussed the tragedy, as well as seeing the reruns of the episode many times over the years. But outside of that "WKRP" episode, I never was aware of all of the details of the tragedy until I read a few articles on it a few days ago.


Any of you remember hearing about the tragedy at the time that it took place?


Here are a couple of articles about The Who concert tragedy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who_concert_disaster

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... t-19800124


I myself experienced something similar to this at a White Snake and Bad English concert in Toledo in 1990. Fortunately, no one died at the concert that I was at.

Re: The Who Concert Tragedy 1979

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:09 pm
by Journey/Survivor
Fact Finder wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:I was 7 years old when this tragic event happened. I remember seeing the "WKRP IN Cincinnati" episode when it first aired in early 1980 that discussed the tragedy, as well as seeing the reruns of the episode many times over the years. But outside of that "WKRP" episode, I never was aware of all of the details of the tragedy until I read a few articles on it a few days ago.


Any of you remember hearing about the tragedy at the time that it took place?


Here are a couple of articles about The Who concert tragedy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who_concert_disaster

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... t-19800124


I myself experienced something similar to this at a White Snake and Bad English concert in Toledo in 1990. Fortunately, no one died at the concert that I was at.


My (to be) Wife and I were going that night but things went sideways that day and we stayed home. If you look up on the Cincinnati Enquirer website about it, a Woman named Teva Ladd was killed. Her son Kasey Ladd is my Sons best friend for the past 18 Years. They just recently finally got the city of Cincy to put up a memorial marker in front of the US Bank Arena doors where the stampede happened, Kasey was very instrumental in that, and you can find him in the news searches. Every year the families have a candle lit march from downtown to the arena concourse, I haven't gone but my Wife went 2 years ago and said it was very moving.


Is your sons friend the one who's mother was killed when he was like 2 years old? I read an article a few days ago about that man. I felt really bad for him having to go through life without his mother. If Teva Ladd is the woman that I'm thinking about, then she was from what I read the oldest of the victims at 27 years old.

In 1990 I was 18 years old and I went to a White Snake and Bad English concert in Toledo. There weren't any seats on the floor of the arena, so whoever got to the arenas floor "seating" first would have the closest and best view of the concert.

I got there early so that I could get a good spot near the stage.

Everything was fine until the show started. But as soon as the show started, everyone started trying to push their way closer and closer to the stage. At first I was up against the steel gate that they had in place to keep people away from the stage.
But it got so bad there that I backed up about 20 feet or so. That wasn't any better.
I was 6 feet tall 220 pounds, and everyone was packed in there so tight and pushing foreword that I was completely powerless to move in any direction that I wanted to. If the crowd swayed one direction, I and everyone else swayed that same direction. Our arms were all pinned at our sides and you could barely breath.

You could see how scared many people were. I kept thinking about The Who concert in Cincinnati.
John Waite didn't say a word about what was going on in the crowd. But when White Snake was on stage, David Coverdale did ask the crowd if everyone was alright up front, and he asked the crowd to give each other some breathing room.


It was low of The Who to never go back and do a benefit concert there in Cincinnati for the victims families!

Re: The Who Concert Tragedy 1979

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:13 pm
by Journey/Survivor
Fact Finder wrote:My (to be) Wife and I were going that night but things went sideways that day and we stayed home. If you look up on the Cincinnati Enquirer website about it, a Woman named Teva Ladd was killed. Her son Kasey Ladd is my Sons best friend for the past 18 Years. They just recently finally got the city of Cincy to put up a memorial marker in front of the US Bank Arena doors where the stampede happened, Kasey was very instrumental in that, and you can find him in the news searches. Every year the families have a candle lit march from downtown to the arena concourse, I haven't gone but my Wife went 2 years ago and said it was very moving.


So, the victims all died right outside the arena up against it? Not inside the arena?

Re: The Who Concert Tragedy 1979

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:34 am
by AR
This brings me back to the WKRP episode where they went serious about it.

Re: The Who Concert Tragedy 1979

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:42 am
by Journey/Survivor
AR wrote:This brings me back to the WKRP episode where they went serious about it.


The entire episode, which is called "In Concert" is available on Youtube.