Rod Stewart/Cyndi Lauper Last night

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Rod Stewart/Cyndi Lauper Last night

Postby Fact Finder » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:01 am

Went at the last minute last night at my wife's urging. Very good show from both Cyndi and Rod. We've never seen Cyndi before, and I can tell ya at 64 the chick can sing. Not really my style but props to her. She did a great version of "Don't say no, it's the end of the World" by Skeeter Davis, a song the Carpenters made famous as well as about 80 others, Great tune from my youth. Her "Time after Time" and "True Colors" were very well done with Cyndi on a dulcimer or something. Great voice. I would see her again. I will say, a lot of girls in the crowd were into Cyndi. :wink:

We've seen Rod many times and never really been disappointed. Yeah, he's went all Vegas with the matching clothes for band members and a black and white checkered stage setup, but damn, what a band he has put together. I couldn't name one of them but man they can play. Chicks on violins, singing, a big ass harp, mandolins, percussion, dancing Irish jigs, and one taking the lead vocal "Tina" style on "Proud Mary". Dudes on twin guitars, keys, bass, sax, and sometimes 2 drummers.

Rod was Rod. Voice in very fine form, but sometimes lost in the mix, band maybe a bit to loud and over powering his vocals from our spot. The guy puts on a great show and gives your moneys worth. The 4 song acoustic set was worth the price of admission alone. "Stay with Me" is always killer. Wish he had done "Gasoline Alley" or "Every Picture"

Anyways, I wasn't expecting to go see this and I'm glad I did. 8)

RECOMMEND: *****

1. Infatuation
2. Some Guys Have All the Luck (The Persuaders cover)
3. This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You)(The Isley Brothers cover)
4. Tonight's the Night (Gonna Be Alright)
5. You Wear It Well
6. Forever Young
7. Rhythm of My Heart
8. Young Turks
9. It's a Heartache (Bonnie Tyler cover)
10. Love Is
11. Downtown Train (Tom Waits cover)
12. The First Cut Is the Deepest (Cat Stevens cover)
13. You're in My Heart (The Final Acclaim)
14. Reason to Believe (Tim Hardin cover)
15. Have I Told You Lately (Van Morrison cover)
16. Proud Mary (Creedence Clearwater Revival cover) (band only)
17. I'd Rather Go Blind (Etta James cover)
18. Stay With Me (Faces song)
19. Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?

Encore:
20. Maggie May
21. Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think)
(Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians cover) (band only)
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Re: Rod Stewart/Cyndi Lauper Last night

Postby Memorex » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Saw him a year or two ago, after several years of not seeing him. Was better than I anticipated. About the same review as yours. And I like his latest album a lot.

I was not a fan of Cyndi Lauper until the Hat Full of Stars album. You know how you really don't want to like someone but then one day you have to just say damn, I respect their talent? That's how I was with her. Not always my kind of music, but I know enough to know she is damn good at what she does.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Re: Rod Stewart/Cyndi Lauper Last night

Postby Fact Finder » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:25 am

Memorex wrote:Saw him a year or two ago, after several years of not seeing him. Was better than I anticipated. About the same review as yours. And I like his latest album a lot.

I was not a fan of Cyndi Lauper until the Hat Full of Stars album. You know how you really don't want to like someone but then one day you have to just say damn, I respect their talent? That's how I was with her. Not always my kind of music, but I know enough to know she is damn good at what she does.

Rod has gotten much better with age and sobriety. When I saw him in the 80's he was all over the place, out of breath from running around and not singing like he was capable of. Now his show is a refined performance of damn near perfection like Eagles and others. Very entertaining evening.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Return to Death By Stereo