For the Ric Flair fans, some bad news

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: For the Ric Flair fans, some bad news

Postby AR » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:02 am

Met Ric numerous times. Hope he pulls through. He is 68 and really has lived a life. He has also outlived his peers by many years. So many wrestlers have died way too young.

Here is a pic with Ric and my daughter from a few years ago.

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby scarab » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:16 am

grew up watching AWA wrestling in the late 70's early 80's. Didnt know he got his start training under Verne Gagne.
Was sad to see all of the greats of the AWA bail to the WWF in 83-84ish, watched for awhile but it got way to dark.
AWA was all about more technical wrestling and campy interviews. Mean Gene Okerland was still fun to watch though.

Google some of his early fights, guy has talent on and out of the ring. My prayers for a recovery.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:28 am

I was a pretty big Ric Flair fan back when I watched wrestling every weekend from about 1982 through 1988. Flair was in the NWA at that time. He was probably my favorite wrestler in the NWA. I was a bigger WWF fan overall.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby AR » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:23 am

I got into a drunken argument with Ric one night. Neither of us were feeling any pain.

Next morning met him at the bar and all was good. :lol:
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:29 pm

Love Naich and I hope he pulls through! He single handily MADE my all time favorite wrestler, Sting, at Clash of the Champions '88 and put Sting over that started his career so without Ric, there's no Sting.

Met Ric while I was vacationing down in Myrtle Beach back in 2008 (I think around the time he was making his Wrestlemania comeback.) He was JACKED and had the whole family down around poolside. He hit it off with my dad at the bar and they would buy each other a round of beer a few times. "Hey bartender, get Mr. Pittsburgh a beer" so he was AWESOME and friendly. My dad asked him a few times if the boats at the doc were his and he'd say "No, Pittsburgh, mine are bigger." I am rooting and hoping for Ric to make a speedy recovery! ALL TIME LEGEND.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby AR » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:34 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Love Naich and I hope he pulls through! He single handily MADE my all time favorite wrestler, Sting, at Clash of the Champions '88 and put Sting over that started his career so without Ric, there's no Sting.

Met Ric while I was vacationing down in Myrtle Beach back in 2008 (I think around the time he was making his Wrestlemania comeback.) He was JACKED and had the whole family down around poolside. He hit it off with my dad at the bar and they would buy each other a round of beer a few times. "Hey bartender, get Mr. Pittsburgh a beer" so he was AWESOME and friendly. My dad asked him a few times if the boats at the doc were his and he'd say "No, Pittsburgh, mine are bigger." I am rooting and hoping for Ric to make a speedy recovery! ALL TIME LEGEND.

Good story! Here's mine.

I know Ric's girlfriend Wendy who used to be "FiFi the Maid" in WCW. We were all down in Richmond and my wife, daughter and I joined them in the hotel lounge of the Marriott along with Ivan Koloff and his wife.

A good time was had by all until Peyton Manning's image came on the TV in a Colts uniform. I made a comment about the Colts since I was a former fan growing up in Baltimore. Ric mentioned he loves Peyton and Baltimore is a shithole anyway (don't disagree). I jawed back how he gushed over Baltimore in his autobiography and we were just doing what drunk guys at the bar do. Our wives/girlfriends were horrified though. Thought it was more than what it was.

Next morning I see Ric at breakfast and he greets me with a big smile. I told him how pissed off my wife was at me and he said "Join the club" and we laughed about it.

Later on that day at a sports convention I was sitting at a table waiting to meet Ray Lewis. Ric and Wendy saw me and sat down to chat for a bit then said their goodbyes. Everyone else at the table wanted to know who the hell I was and how I knew Ric Flair. :)

That is my Naitch story.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby AR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:52 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:Word on the news today, and notice almost every story on here starts with,"I met Ric in a bar", is his drinking caught up with him. He had organ failure and is having serious kidney problems. He's still in critical condition.

Fair statement. but Ric is 68.

Now consider the ages of Eddie Guerrero, Big Boss Man, Chris Benoit, Test, Chyna, Mr. Perfect.........etc, etc, etc,
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby AR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:22 am

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:
AR wrote:
K.C.Journey Fan wrote:Word on the news today, and notice almost every story on here starts with,"I met Ric in a bar", is his drinking caught up with him. He had organ failure and is having serious kidney problems. He's still in critical condition.

Fair statement. but Ric is 68.

Now consider the ages of Eddie Guerrero, Big Boss Man, Chris Benoit, Test, Chyna, Mr. Perfect.........etc, etc, etc,

It is what it is. Of the people you mentioned, most were suicide or drug overdoses. Reality is Flairs drinking caught up to him. I hope he pulls through it. They do lead a hard life.

Roids, taking too many big bumps and steroids also a factor. The major alcoholics in wrestling over all have lived longer though. ;)
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara