'Worlds of DC' THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:15 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Here's Chris Pratt telling everyone he loved Shazam! and to go see it :!:

https://twitter.com/Batmancanseeyou/status/1120378927225212930

Well, a bit too late for that. Shazam is even below YJ's prediction of 400million. Yeah, it made money because of the low budget...but those are HORRIBLE numbers, especially when it had no real competition.

:lol: Right on cue with the anti-DC biz. $325 million worldwide gross on a $100 million budget at 2.5 weeks of release. How is that "horrible"? Look where Thor, The First Avenger and Ant-Man were at. Shazam! is doing just fine. It's $50-55M (domestic) away from where those other movies finished at the END of their runs.

"No competition," he says. Another freakin' Disney movie* and two hyped horror thrillers: Us and Pet Sematary — the former cleaned up, and the latter's not shabby. Make that three now, with The Curse of La Llorona, which took the #1 spot last weekend.

*You want to see "horrible numbers," look at Dumbo. They expected that to do way better.

And I still think Disney was buying blocks of seats for Captain Marvel showings.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 am

Shazam's numbers are good for the studio (and actually had stiff competition with Dumbo and Pet Sematary). Shazam! is a relatively unknown character to the audience with no real big stars attached. The budget was modest at best, especially for this type of superhero flick. I didn't predict anything. If it would have hit $500-600, it would have been BIG for this film but the numbers that it is doing will greenlight a sequel and command a bigger sequel of goodwill for the character. It's a nice stepping stone that will eventually include the Rock and Black Adam and that clash. It served its purpose. It didn't have to do any type of big number.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:22 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Here's Chris Pratt telling everyone he loved Shazam! and to go see it :!:

https://twitter.com/Batmancanseeyou/status/1120378927225212930

Well, a bit too late for that. Shazam is even below YJ's prediction of 400million. Yeah, it made money because of the low budget...but those are HORRIBLE numbers, especially when it had no real competition.

:lol: Right on cue with the anti-DC biz. $325 million worldwide gross on a $100 million budget at 2.5 weeks of release. How is that "horrible"? Look where Thor, The First Avenger and Ant-Man were at. Shazam! is doing just fine. It's $50-55M (domestic) away from where those other movies finished at the END of their runs.

"No competition," he says. Another freakin' Disney movie* and two hyped horror thrillers: Us and Pet Sematary — the former cleaned up, and the latter's not shabby. Make that three now, with The Curse of La Llorona, which took the #1 spot last weekend.

*You want to see "horrible numbers," look at Dumbo. They expected that to do way better.

And I still think Disney was buying blocks of seats for Captain Marvel showings.

Right on!
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:52 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Shazam's numbers are good for the studio (and actually had stiff competition with Dumbo and Pet Sematary). Shazam! is a relatively unknown character to the audience with no real big stars attached. The budget was modest at best, especially for this type of superhero flick. I didn't predict anything. If it would have hit $500-600, it would have been BIG for this film but the numbers that it is doing will greenlight a sequel and command a bigger sequel of goodwill for the character. It's a nice stepping stone that will eventually include the Rock and Black Adam and that clash. It served its purpose. It didn't have to do any type of big number.

Dumbo is a kids fantasy movie and Pet Sematary is a R rated horror movie...and both are remakes. Dumbo had already had it's time when Shazam came out. Pet Sematary is not even close to the same audience to compete. Shazam had a decent debut and weeks of no competition....which YOU ADMITTED IN THE FORUM....and it failed to sell tickets.

You DID make a prediction. On April 8, you said, " I don't think it'll hit $500 but it will have a shot. Maybe mid $400 mil, which is like a bil for say, JL."

At $350million, I doubt any studio would be happy with that...especially a DC movie...regardless of budget and all the points you are making. What does that green light? B movies for the SyFy channel on Saturday nights? Is that the type of movie you will be proud of DC churning out? I used to joke about Wonder Twins and Isis...but at this point that is the bottom of the barrel that you are scraping asking for cheap movies.

I also think the idea of Shazam being unknown is greatly exagerated.

And, BTW, Grace says End Game is the best super hero movie ever made. Wonder where that leaves the TDK movies.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:12 pm

verslibre wrote: :lol: Right on cue with the anti-DC biz. $325 million worldwide gross on a $100 million budget at 2.5 weeks of release. How is that "horrible"? Look where Thor, The First Avenger and Ant-Man were at. Shazam! is doing just fine. It's $50-55M (domestic) away from where those other movies finished at the END of their runs.

This IS the end of Shazam's run. End Game will kill it and every other movie that is currently released. You KNOW this.

Yes, that is what I say. No competition from R rated Horror film in Pet Sematary. No Competition from a weak Dumbo that had already been released and also did not do well. No competition from R rated Hellboy or any other film that has been released since Shazam came out. Shazam had a good opening and then died...much like Dumbo, actually. It obviously did not get much repeat buyers. It obviously did not get much word of mouth. Obviously the promotion that led up to it did not work.

You want to see "horrible numbers," look at Dumbo. They expected that to do way better.

Well, they should have saved that idea for Dumbo...it may have actually helped that film.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 pm

I didn't really make a prediction, just hypothetically guessing ranges in terms of tempered expectations at the BO. Shazam! could have landed anywhere as the release date and the point of a more subdue superhero movie that lacks big stars or action. Walter Hamada isn't measuring his cock with this one. It served its purpose, fullfilled good-will with its set audience that will hopefully lead to that universe picking up with added gahonas when bringing in star power like the Rock. All things considered, WB should be happy it made a great profit, found an audience to build upon and had great reviews. Shazam! showed not every superhero film needs to be Endgame or even MoS. It was a film that dedicated itself as a feel good message with child-like magic sprinkled in. A win for DC. They are on the right path. Bring on Joker, WW84, Birds of Prey, The Batman and HQ! Great time to be a fan all around.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:34 pm

And, BTW, Grace says End Game is the best super hero movie ever made. Wonder where that leaves TDK..

Nah, TDK is still the greatest modern CBM to exist. Decades from now when a new generation has bloomed, they can pop in TDK and not have to worry about going back and watching 11 years worth of tie-ins to understand what the fuck is going on. TDK still stands alone in its corner as one cinematic franchise character and not 25 into 1 to achieve that type of success.
I get that the MCU is the greatest thing going as far as cinematic connection but the trophies still belong to the standalones in the long-run when it comes to longterm rewatchability. These Avengers films like Infinity War and Endgame are exhausting people. They are events. Regardless, TDK's legacy is still signed, stamped and delivered and the same can be said with superhero triumphs like Superman:TM and Batman '89 regardless of what comes next. Nice try though.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:53 am

Monker wrote:And, BTW, Grace says End Game is the best super hero movie ever made. Wonder where that leaves the TDK movies.

So NOW he cares what Grace thinks. HAHAHA!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grace is cute and can be funny. Sometimes she's on, sometimes she's not. "Ever made." Yeahhh...I'll see it and decide for myself. As usual. :wink:

"Where it leaves The Dark Knight"? Believe me, it's not budging. :P
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:09 am

The trailer for DC Universe's Swamp Thing looks amazing. This will be full-on horror with elements of the Wein/Wrightson, Moore and Snyder runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhtqTUZKzfM
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:49 am

verslibre wrote:The trailer for DC Universe's Swamp Thing looks amazing. This will be full-on horror with elements of the Wein/Wrightson, Moore and Snyder runs.

You posted this in the wrong thread. This is the "Worlds of DC" thread, not the DCEIU thread.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:54 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:And, BTW, Grace says End Game is the best super hero movie ever made. Wonder where that leaves the TDK movies.

So NOW he cares what Grace thinks. HAHAHA!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grace is cute and can be funny. Sometimes she's on, sometimes she's not. "Ever made." Yeahhh...I'll see it and decide for myself. As usual. :wink:

"Where it leaves The Dark Knight"? Believe me, it's not budging. :P

Where have I posted that I didn't care what Grace said? You and YJ are the wafflers on that...When she favored Shazam, you cared....when she backed away from that, you didn't and started making excuses.

Correct, TDK will be standing completely still when End Game completely runs past it.

This could be a $3billion film...and after all of the brilliant build up to it, it deserves it.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:56 am

When Grace backed away from what? She still likes it. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:58 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:The trailer for DC Universe's Swamp Thing looks amazing. This will be full-on horror with elements of the Wein/Wrightson, Moore and Snyder runs.

You posted this in the wrong thread. This is the "Worlds of DC" thread, not the DCEIU thread.

You are mistaken, sir. Swamp Thing is the third show under the DCU (DC Universe) banner, which is part of Worlds of DC. Looks kickass, too.

There is no DCEIU thread. I stands for Integrated? :lol:

OH, you got confused. The "Snyder" in question is Scott, not Zack. Happy to help. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:00 am

P.S. Scott has referred to himself as Zack's son, though they're not related. :D
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:05 am

verslibre wrote:When Grace backed away from what? She still likes it. :lol:

Monker is so hell bent on sticking it to us that he forgets that we give 2 fucks lol. I don't know what he is even going on about half the time.

I saw they are labeling Endgame the "Most comic book comic book movie ever.." so he's probably mad he has to like it.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:06 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
And, BTW, Grace says End Game is the best super hero movie ever made. Wonder where that leaves TDK..

Nah, TDK is still the greatest modern CBM to exist. Decades from now when a new generation has bloomed, they can pop in TDK and not have to worry about going back and watching 11 years worth of tie-ins to understand what the fuck is going on. TDK still stands alone in its corner as one cinematic franchise character and not 25 into 1 to achieve that type of success.
I get that the MCU is the greatest thing going as far as cinematic connection but the trophies still belong to the standalones in the long-run when it comes to longterm rewatchability. These Avengers films like Infinity War and Endgame are exhausting people. They are events. Regardless, TDK's legacy is still signed, stamped and delivered and the same can be said with superhero triumphs like Superman:TM and Batman '89 regardless of what comes next. Nice try though.

First, you are prejudging the movie by saying you need to watch 11yrs worth of tie-ins. You have no idea if that is true. You are just being defensive. It can still be part of a "universe" and still stand on its own. IMO, End Game is going to eclipse every CBM film ever made, including TDK.

"The trophies still belong to the standalones." Sad. Back before BvS I said that DC was great at stand alone movies and should have concentrated on that because that was what they are really good at. Trying to do a connected universe was foolish when they had such a good track record following TDK. Now they are back at it with two good movies with WW and AM, and one mediocre movie with Shazam. If Shazam is truly and indication of their future, then they are going to screw up their stand alone movies as well and earn a reputation of mediocre stand alone movies as well.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:16 am

After the first weekend of Shazam's release, she posted a video where she essentially said the crowd reaction sucked, that people were playing with their cell phones instead of watching the movie, the big reveal at the end (I suppose the Shazam family? I don't know) received no reaction at all. Overall, it was a "bleh" experience. So, yeah, she still "likes it" but she quickly backed off on it being as good and was no where near as excited as she originally posted. She said the promotion set up the movie all wrong, and the early preview showing was TOO EARLY and the big fans did not return to bring any excitement to the crowd in the theater.

So, yeah, it wasn't a 100% turn around...but her reaction after her second viewing was no where even close to her enthusiasm after the first, sitting in a crowd of extreme CBM fans, compared to people bringing their kid to see a movie while they ignored it and played with their phones.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:25 am

Here you go with Grace backing off...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46csa44M2dw
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:25 am

Endgame will be FAR from a film that will stand on its own. You will be fucking lost if you don't know the history of the MCU. It's 11 years worth of buildup and is billed as such. That's just the way it is.

Shazam! was solid and DC's future will bring many tones, many storylines and many different corners of what the DC Universe is all about. Each flick will be character determined depending on their respected mythology. It'll range from small budget character driven films like Shazam! and Joker to their tentpole films like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Batman and more. DC adjusted and they now have an understanding of what they want to do. Snyder wanted a finite universe. WB didn't. They wanted solo Gal Gadot WW films. If they stuck to Snyder's vision, that wouldn't have happened. It's a double edged sword on how we got here but I'm eager in the mystery of how different every DC film will be.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:32 am

Monker wrote:

After the first weekend of Shazam's release, she posted a video where she essentially said the crowd reaction sucked, that people were playing with their cell phones instead of watching the movie, the big reveal at the end (I suppose the Shazam family? I don't know) received no reaction at all. Overall, it was a "bleh" experience. So, yeah, she still "likes it" but she quickly backed off on it being as good and was no where near as excited as she originally posted. She said the promotion set up the movie all wrong, and the early preview showing was TOO EARLY and the big fans did not return to bring any excitement to the crowd in the theater.

So, yeah, it wasn't a 100% turn around...but her reaction after her second viewing was no where even close to her enthusiasm after the first, sitting in a crowd of extreme CBM fans, compared to people bringing their kid to see a movie while they ignored it and played with their phones.

Overall, I don't know why you're so determined to talk at great length about Grace Rudolph. Who gives a shit? She's talking about Superman's cameo at the end of the film. Her experience may have been different but it's already known that audiences reacted well to Shazam and people enjoyed Superman's cameo. I'm not surprised you didn't know though since you talk shit on things you don't even see. STFU and go see Endgame.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:47 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Endgame will be FAR from a film that will stand on its own. You will be fucking lost if you don't know the history of the MCU. It's 11 years worth of buildup and is billed as such. That's just the way it is.

Again, you are prejudging it. You do not know this for a fact.

Shazam! was solid and DC's future will bring many tones, many storylines and many different corners of what the DC Universe is all about. Each flick will be character determined depending on their respected mythology. It'll range from small budget character driven films like Shazam! and Joker to their tentpole films like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Batman and more. DC adjusted and they now have an understanding of what they want to do. Snyder wanted a finite universe. WB didn't.[/quote]

Yeah, they adjusted. But, to say that WB did not want CBM universe is a bit silly.

They wanted solo Gal Gadot WW films. If they stuck to Snyder's vision, that wouldn't have happened. It's a double edged sword on how we got here but I'm eager in the mystery of how different every DC film will be.

WW is three films into the idea of a connected universe (MOS, BvS, SS...all trying to connect). WW was the START of the backlash towards the crazy ideas Snyder had. So, OF COURSE they didn't want to screw up WW, or AM. But, prior to that, it would be insane to say WB did not want a piece of the pie that Marvel was baking.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:51 am

When did I say DC/WB didn't want a CBM universe? STFU dude. We've regurgitated this 100 times over and over and over.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:52 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Monker wrote:

Overall, I don't know why you're so determined to talk at great length about Grace Rudolph. Who gives a shit? She's talking about Superman's cameo at the end of the film. Her experience may have been different but it's already known that audiences reacted well to Shazam and people enjoyed Superman's cameo. I'm not surprised you didn't know though since you talk shit on things you don't even see. STFU and go see Endgame.

I have no said if I liked Shazam or not. I have commented on its success (or lack of) and the general reaction to it. You know, just as you did with Captain Marvel. So, no, I did not know exactly what Grace was referring to...so what? Doesn't change the point that it received no reaction. To me a "big third act reveal" sounds more like the Shazam family then the cameo by Superman...especially when her mom said it was "cute".

I talk about Grace because you two talk about Grace. YOU GUYS were the ones who originally posted that Grace liked Shazam. I had already watched her videos so I know what she's about...and you only care what Grace says when it is positive to your cause. I don't mind watching her videos because I agree with most of what she says.
Last edited by Monker on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:56 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:When did I say DC/WB didn't want a CBM universe? STFU dude. We've regurgitated this 100 times over and over and over.

You said they wanted solo WW films. Deep down, that is NOT what they wanted...they only wanted solo WW films so they could move away from Snyders connected universe. What WB REALLY wanted, and probably still wants, is to be a rival to Marvel.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:03 pm

Monker wrote:You said they wanted solo WW films. Deep down, that is NOT what they wanted...they only wanted solo WW films so they could move away from Snyders connected universe.

Weird thing to opine. A Wonder Woman movie was WAY, WAY overdue. And they knew that. The previous honchos wanted ONLY Batman and Superman films. The new guard tried Green Lantern first and tripped. You have to understand after that movie bombed majorly, moneywise, that Zack's vision looked golden. WB/DC even talked up being the "darker side of the coin" to what Marvel was doing, and then they wussed out and backpedaled. Our loss. This is old, old, old, old news, bruh.

Monker wrote:What WB REALLY wanted, and probably still wants, is to be a rival to Marvel.

They already are. You know what the word means?

This is too much. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:04 pm

I really don't care what Grace thinks. I might react to something she says but that's it. She's apart of the bloggers community so every now and then, she may pop in a post here and there, inevitably. I have quite a few community's I visit. Grace's vlogs aren't any of them.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:08 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Endgame will be FAR from a film that will stand on its own. You will be fucking lost if you don't know the history of the MCU. It's 11 years worth of buildup and is billed as such. That's just the way it is.

QFT. Infinity War—>Endgame is a two-part, 5.5 hour "saga" based on Jim Starlin's Infinity Gauntlet that caps off the MCU as we've come to know it — minus some important characters like Adam Warlock. In fact, it will be weird to watch it all go down without him.

$300M OW. That's insane! I'm glad it topped The Force Awakens' Thursday. Take that, Starfuckers. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:15 pm

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:You said they wanted solo WW films. Deep down, that is NOT what they wanted...they only wanted solo WW films so they could move away from Snyders connected universe.

Weird thing to opine. A Wonder Woman movie was WAY, WAY overdue. And they knew that. The previous honchos wanted ONLY Batman and Superman films. The new guard tried Green Lantern first and tripped. You have to understand after that movie bombed majorly, moneywise, that Zack's vision looked golden. WB/DC even talked up being the "darker side of the coin" to what Marvel was doing, and then they wussed out and backpedaled. Our loss. This is old, old, old, old news, bruh.

Yes, it is "old news". But, the part you say about "wussed out" IMO is really that they looked at the situation and saw that Snyder was headed for disaster and made the smart business decision to avoid it.

Monker wrote:What WB REALLY wanted, and probably still wants, is to be a rival to Marvel.

A rival is an entity that is in a position to take over another entities place. IE: the rival to the heavyweight boxing champion is somebody who can enter the ring with a chance to win. WB is NOT in a position to take over the position that Marvel is in. Nobody is, really.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:40 pm

Monker wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:When did I say DC/WB didn't want a CBM universe? STFU dude. We've regurgitated this 100 times over and over and over.

You said they wanted solo WW films. Deep down, that is NOT what they wanted...they only wanted solo WW films so they could move away from Snyders connected universe. What WB REALLY wanted, and probably still wants, is to be a rival to Marvel.

They wanted both but realized Zack had his own Endgame in mind where his universe would have ENDED. It was a finite plan. WB wanted their universe to continue and didn't want to slam the door on their characters or have, say, Jason or Gal be tied to an abrupt ending to only one vision. They wanted the connection but also wanted solo films to continue with said actors. Zack's vision wouldn't of been that. It put them at major odds and ultimately, the studio decides, always. Without the studio pulling the plug, we don't get WW84. We don't get Aquaman 2 or Reeves' The Batman. It's the matter of moving on and seeing where they go when they focus on new leadership.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:50 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:

Yes, it is "old news". But, the part you say about "wussed out" IMO is really that they looked at the situation and saw that Snyder was headed for disaster and made the smart business decision to avoid it.

A rival is an entity that is in a position to take over another entities place. IE: the rival to the heavyweight boxing champion is somebody who can enter the ring with a chance to win. WB is NOT in a position to take over the position that Marvel is in. Nobody is, really.

"A person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity."
(and)
"...who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another."

Essentially, a competitor. There's a reason Marvel and DC are the "Big Two." In both comics and film, DC ruled the roost for decades till it came to a point where Marvel got the edge. But time and again, DC does something that sends shockwaves through the House of Ideas (that's another moniker for Marvel owing to Stan Lee), those somethings being Frank Miller's The Dark Knight, Alan Moore's Watchmen, George Pérez's reboot of Wonder Woman, and so on. Don't forget, Civil War was the direct result of BvS.

Bottom line: We need both. I can't imagine having twenty Ant-Man-flavored movies. Doctor Strange was a disappointment, too (and with a good director). If the Russos stick around, they need to give them Thor. But they probably won't, because they promised Thor 4 to Taika.
verslibre
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara