'Worlds of DC' THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:34 am

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/1080544767434506241

Aquaman has now surpassed Wonder Woman at the global #boxoffice. Here is how the #DCEU stacks up:

$873M #BatmanvSuperman
$823M #Aquaman
$821M #WonderWoman
$747M #SuicideSquad
$663M #ManOfSteel
$657M #JusticeLeague

Aquaman
will pass #BvS this SAT for the #1 spot in the series.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:21 am

Yeah, Guardians is special to me...


Good for you man. Seriously.

If you want to, I could go on and on and on about it here again...if you want to allow me to steal Aquaman's time in the spotlight.


Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, sure? Yeah, go ahead. This is the obvious place to be. I mean nobody will read a word of it but cool.

Saying a film or the direction of Snyder is 'divisive' is not critiquing a film. State some negative things about Aquaman, or WW. What did they do badly, or could have done better. Those are critiques. Saying BvS divided the fan base is not a critique or that Snyder was doing things that audiences don't like is not critique. What 'glaring faults' exist in WW? What 'glaring faults' exist in Aquaman?


I didn't realize we were critiquing. I didn't see Aquaman yet so I can't critique it. There wasn't really much of Wonder Woman I didn't enjoy. I thought they could have done a better job with Ares, especially his look and I thought some dialogue was weak as the script seemed to of repeat itself in some places. Other than minor nitpicks, it's pretty solid but nothing glaring with that film, especially as an origin film.

Man of Steel's shaky cam was redundant and over-done.
It made me ill in some spots in the theater and the action was too fast, especially Superman in flight. Ironically, Man of Steel could have benefited from some Snyder slow-mo and some crisp shots of Superman. Instead, everything was lighting speed. I know Zack wanted to show Superman's powerset off, but he could have tailored it back a little. Also thought the flashback aspect of the storytelling took away from the drama in the moments of Clarks life. I think the film would have been better received in a more traditional, linear fashion. Man of Steel's ending needed more scenes after the neck snap. We needed to see right then and there some of the worlds reaction and how the population and even Superman himself was dealing with the aftermath of Zods invasion and death. That could have solved some problems the general audience bitched about.

BvS I would have completely thrown out the Nigeria setup and blackmail from Lex (and most of the Lois Lane magic bullet subplot). If anything, BvS wrote itself where Zack could have easily righted the wrongs in MoS by focusing on a story of the world reacting to Superman and Superman goin on many saves and personal feats to gain the publics trust after the killing of Zod and build off Superman's relationship with the United States Government and the powers that be and have Clark be apart of rebuilding Metropolis. Many missed story beats and opportunities I would have thought Zack would have touched upon. Instead, he came up with a new story for Lex and Bruce to fit in with their distrust and manipulation to rage war on Superman.

Those are just a few things I always talked about and off the top of my head over the years. It's a figment of your imagination that I never critiqued the DCEU. Melodicrock is just a fun stop-by for me with CBM's. I post in the heavy geek community where all this stuff rages on.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2685
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:37 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:Yeah, Guardians is special to me...I was taken from the first scene where he lost his mother to the scene where he gets the orb. It was perfect...exactly the type of story I have been wanting to see for years.


GOTG is perfect? :shock:
Imo, that movie sucked - painfully unfunny, smug, derivative garbage.
"dance off, bro?" :roll:


YES, for me it was. The entire movie built up to that scene. The intro with the music playing and seeing young "Star lord" getting the mix tape from his dying mom. The dance to get the orb. Telling the story of Footloose and Kevin Bacon...a movie about making dancing illegal. Dancing with Gamora. Then the "dance-off" distraction. All of that is character development to SHOW you who Star-Lord is...that appreciating music is at the core of his being, and gift his received from his mother.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:02 pm

verslibre wrote:Why don't you post your hard-on for it in the Marvel thread? Are you allergic to the Marvel thread or something? Why do you ignore it? Your perpetual hate-on for DC is Priority One? :lol:


I'm not the one who brought Guardians up...YJ brought it up, and now you are continuing the conversation....which I have no problem with at all. I posted here because I saw Aquaman, but you guys want to talk about GotG instead, that's fine with me!

As for ANY part of GOTG being "perfect"...come on.


I believe I said, "for me"...meaning it is my opinion.

That movie's got some really nice visuals (better cinematography than V2, too), but the story is a bunch of Stars Wars-isms and Farscape-isms and sprinklings of other SF spices, wrapped in a Marvel superhero pancake blanket. Apart from Rocket and Gamora, those characters bear little resemblance to their original comics selves (especially Star-Clown).


I don't see any Star Wars in it at all. Don't know why anybody would say that.

I don't know how they were in the comics - and I don't care. What James Gunn with the characters was very well done. James Gunn admitted several times to the Farscape influence, and you can make a one to one connection to that...Qunn/John - out of place Earthlings among a bunch of criminals, Gamora/Aeryn - female love interest and soldier, Drax/D'Argo - tough guy but can be a naive idiot, Rocket/Rygel - thieving conspiring asshole that everybody loves, Groot/Zhaan - plant that the spiritual guide.

As for it being this and that and a sprinkle of something. At the time the first movie was released, there was no outlet for this type of story anywhere. Not on TV or the theaters...and least not any high quality ones. The only thing I can think of was "Dark Matter", which I liked...but it was nothing when compared to GotG (or Farscape, or ST:TNG, SG:SG1, SG:A, etc) BSG destroyed all of that, IMO, and Guardians sort of brought it back. I have to wonder if things like The Orville would be around if Guardians didn't come about. Now you have nearly a half dozen Star Trek series, and Star Trek Axanar may actually be allowed an outlet, The Orville, abd Lost in Space.

That's what you were "wanting to see for years"? A dude dancing while listening to his Walkman, on his way to steal an orb on some planet?


YES...because it's not just about that, or the dance-off...but the total package. It's about how the characters interact, contrast each other, and make the whole better than the sum of the parts...which, in the end, was what the first movie was all about.

[quote[I haven't forgotten your defense of GOTGV2, either. :lol:[/quote]

Oh, that's good. If you want to talk about GotG2, that's fine!
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Just three things:

Monker wrote:I don't see any Star Wars in it at all. Don't know why anybody would say that.


It's been said. MR isn't even a pock mark on the message board ass of geekdom, dude. It's been said, and then some.

Monker wrote:I don't know how they were in the comics - and I don't care.


But I do remember, which is why I do care. I hope you understand that.

Monker wrote:I have to wonder if things like The Orville would be around if Guardians didn't come about. Now you have nearly a half dozen Star Trek series, and Star Trek Axanar may actually be allowed an outlet, The Orville, abd Lost in Space.


The Orville is a stupid Star Trek parody. I didn't get past the first two episodes. There were two Star Trek movies in 2009 and 2012. And then Star Trek Beyond. That's why there's a Star Trek Discovery, and, I guess, The Orville. Lost in Space got rebooted because now we have a plethora of streaming services to house shows like that, if networks like SyFy, FX, HBO or Showtime don't take them. The Orville's on Fox because of Seth McFarlane. Take him out, and it would likely be on Amazon, or not at all.

And now back to DC-Warner's latest CBM which is on track to make a billion buckeroonis. $846 million worldwide. At the rate it's earning, it's like a Star Wars movie. :wink:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:15 pm

..but you guys want to talk about GotG instead, that's fine with me!


We really don't..




..emphasis on "don't."
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2685
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:14 pm

verslibre wrote:Just three things:

Monker wrote:I don't see any Star Wars in it at all. Don't know why anybody would say that.


It's been said. MR isn't even a pock mark on the message board ass of geekdom, dude. It's been said, and then some.


I know that it has been said. I also know very well that James Gunn said, "Besides the comics - Mass Effect (along with Flash Gordon, Farscape, Star Wars and some others) were my biggest inspirations." But, I do not see much Star Wars influence at all. It may have "inspired" him, but when I watch Guardians no Star Wars film comes to mind at all. Farscape does, as I posted before.

Monker wrote:I don't know how they were in the comics - and I don't care.


But I do remember, which is why I do care. I hope you understand that.


Yes, I know that. However, my point has always been that these are movies...not comics. It also seems to me that GotG is a bit of an obscure comic that not many had been exposed to. So, it seems to me that Gunn saw a lot of room and made it his own. IMO, Gunn did a tremendous job of making it his own...and Disney should have never fired him.

Monker wrote:The Orville is a stupid Star Trek parody.


This is absolutely NOT TRUE. I was thinking it would be some sort of Galaxy Quest type show...which IS a parody. YES, it is HEAVILY influenced by ST:TNG. YES, there is comedy (and there was in TNG, too...just not as much). But, in that first season, it takes its own look at some very classic scifi themes, some with very little comedy at all...and some serious issues in society, which ST:TOS did routinely. It focuses on characters and their relationships while telling the story, sometimes with comedy and sometimes not. The story that was just on today continued a thread from the first season which looked at same sex marriages, sex identification, surgically changing the sex of children, divorce, porn addiction, gender discrimination, and separation of parents and children. That's a parody? I don't think so. Far from it. Seth describes it as a "comedic drama"...and I think that's accurate - not a parody.

[quote[There were two Star Trek movies in 2009 and 2012.[/quote]

Yes, that is true. And, the reboot was a great movie. But, it was also set in an alternate timeline with sfx that more resembled BSG than other ST films. The second movie screwed up Khan Noonien Sing. How do you mess up Khan, and screw up Ben Cumberbatch, too? The third movie was forgettable. No, these did not do the trick....at least not for me.

[And then Star Trek Beyond. That's why there's a Star Trek Discovery


Meh. CBS was jealous of JJ's reboot, that's true. But, if you want to pin it down to one reason, then I would say ST:D exists because of CBS All Access. However, that is just ONE show. There are now multiple ST shows in development, plus Axanar. That is not because of JJ's reboot...the entire "space opera" is coming back, and GotG proved people want to see it.

If you don't know about Axanar, go to YouTube and watch "Prelude to Axanar", link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

THAT is Star Trek, not the JJ stuff.

and, I guess, The Orville.


No, I don't believe that has much at all to do with the JJ reboot. I think Seth is a ST:TNG fan and he recognized the fact that there is an audience out there that wants to see that type of show again, and there is now a generation that has not experienced it.

Lost in Space got rebooted because now we have a plethora of streaming services to house shows like that, if networks like SyFy, FX, HBO or Showtime don't take them. The Orville's on Fox because of Seth McFarlane. Take him out, and it would likely be on Amazon, or not at all.


I disagree with all of that. "Lost In Space" is more than a series on a streaming service. It is well written, well acted, and has some scenes that are shot so well they could be shown in a movie theater. This is a show that had a decent budget, not like Black Mirror or some crap like that. IMO, "Lost In Space" is top notch series that could compete with anything on the networks. The same with "Stranger Things". NetFlix isn't competing with Hulu and Amazon Prime, these shows are above that.

The Orville is on FOX because it is a good show. Fans LOVE It. RT has it in the high %90 approval. Yeah, I'm sure Seth has some pull at FOX...but regardless, it would find a place with him or not.

And now back to DC-Warner's latest CBM which is on track to make a billion buckeroonis. $846 million worldwide. At the rate it's earning, it's like a Star Wars movie. :wink:


Or, a generic Transformers movie.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:58 am

Monker wrote:YES, for me it was. The entire movie built up to that scene. The intro with the music playing and seeing young "Star lord" getting the mix tape from his dying mom. The dance to get the orb. Telling the story of Footloose and Kevin Bacon...a movie about making dancing illegal. Dancing with Gamora. Then the "dance-off" distraction.


You're arguing that the "dance off bro" line was foreshadowed in the film and is part of the character's arc. I think you're giving the film too much credit. That clunker of a line is one of many. Overall, GOTG is a cynical, derivative, one-note pos. By all means, go pen a college thesis on it.

Monker wrote:All of that is character development to SHOW you who Star-Lord is...that appreciating music is at the core of his being, and gift his received from his mother.


By the end of the film, I still had no idea who Star Lord is. To me, he was a blatant Farscape Crichton rip-off spouting pop cultural references and juvenile Troma-style jokes. Amazing how he was abducted as a small child but references everything from Cheers to Jackson Pollack to John Stamos to Sam Cooke. Bad writing in a bad movie. Keep me posted on the thesis.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14486
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:02 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:YES, for me it was. The entire movie built up to that scene. The intro with the music playing and seeing young "Star lord" getting the mix tape from his dying mom. The dance to get the orb. Telling the story of Footloose and Kevin Bacon...a movie about making dancing illegal. Dancing with Gamora. Then the "dance-off" distraction.


You're arguing that the "dance off bro" line was foreshadowed in the film and is part of the character's arc. I think you're giving the film too much credit. That clunker of a line is one of many. Overall, GOTG is a cynical, derivative, one-note pos. By all means, go pen a college thesis on it.


Well, I'm not 'arguing' anything. I am simply stating the facts. The entire movie shows Star Lord as that character. It is who he is. I am not saying anything about 'foreshadowing'. Star Lord is a character who has music as an important part of who he is. It is SHOWN to you repeatedly. Even in GotG2 and Infinity War, they mention it. "There are two types of people in the universe. Those who dance, and those who do not..." "Tell him about how you saved the universe with a dance-off." The Guardians are not supposed to be the smartest people with the smartest lines. "Dance off bro..." is completely in character for who Star Lord is. Every aspect about that scene is completely in character for who he is, who the Guardians are, and how they resolve problems. "Don't call us plucky. We don't know what it means." That IS who they are, how they are INTENTIONALLY written.

Monker wrote:All of that is character development to SHOW you who Star-Lord is...that appreciating music is at the core of his being, and gift his received from his mother.


By the end of the film, I still had no idea who Star Lord is. To me, he was a blatant Farscape Crichton rip-off spouting pop cultural references and juvenile Troma-style jokes. Amazing how he was abducted as a small child but references everything from Cheers toto John Stamos to Sam Cooke. Bad writing in a bad movie. Keep me posted on the thesis.


That's your opinion. Mine is different. If you think you can 'prove' my opinion wrong, or your opinion right, then I don't think you know what the definition of an opinion really is.

But, your facts are just off above. He was abducted in 1988...Cheers started in 1982, Full House (with John Stamos) started in 1987, Sam Cooke is way old school....so all of that he was exposed to as a kid in the 80's. He was not a "small child", either...he was a kid...obviously a gradeschool kid with a backpack and a walkman....not roaming about in diapers.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:03 am

Shazam! incoming? Daniel K said the last shot of the Shazam trailer is FIRE.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2685
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:12 am

Monker wrote:Well, I'm not 'arguing' anything.


Of course you are. That's all you do on these forums.

Monker wrote: I am simply stating the facts. The entire movie shows Star Lord as that character. It is who he is. I am not saying anything about 'foreshadowing'. Star Lord is a character who has music as an important part of who he is. It is SHOWN to you repeatedly. Even in GotG2 and Infinity War, they mention it. "There are two types of people in the universe. Those who dance, and those who do not..." "Tell him about how you saved the universe with a dance-off." The Guardians are not supposed to be the smartest people with the smartest lines. "Dance off bro..." is completely in character for who Star Lord is. Every aspect about that scene is completely in character for who he is, who the Guardians are, and how they resolve problems. "Don't call us plucky. We don't know what it means." That IS who they are, how they are INTENTIONALLY written.


That's the problem with obsessively watching a movie - any movie - a million times, you begin to see things that simply are not there. You are ascribing profound motives and mythological character arcs to inch-deep characters. Characters like StarLord and Rocket Racoon are about as deep as a Cartman action figure. The fact that you rattle off all these quotes like the back of your hand tells me all I need to know. Time to leave the basement bro.

Monker wrote:But, your facts are just off above. He was abducted in 1988...Cheers started in 1982, Full House (with John Stamos) started in 1987, Sam Cooke is way old school....so all of that he was exposed to as a kid in the 80's. He was not a "small child", either...he was a kid...obviously a gradeschool kid with a backpack and a walkman....not roaming about in diapers.


Because all little kids watched Cheers? Because all little kids knew the cast of Full House by name? Because all little kids know Jackson Pollack? None of this adds up. StarLord is just a catch-all for US pop cultural references despite the fact that he was too young to be exposed to most of it. Lazy writing.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14486
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:42 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Because all little kids watched Cheers? Because all little kids knew the cast of Full House by name? Because all little kids know Jackson Pollack? None of this adds up. StarLord is just a catch-all for US pop cultural references despite the fact that he was too young to be exposed to most of it. Lazy writing.


'Fraid so. Jackson Pollack. LOL. The funny thing is there's a ton of stuff Gunn could have picked from '82-88 that would suffice, but he goes for some shit that clearly tells more about him than the character he wrote for. That's why I prefer these guys just use the comics as their source material. Star-Lord's supposed to be a somewhat serious character. Gunn is anything but.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:59 am

verslibre wrote:
'Fraid so. Jackson Pollack. LOL. The funny thing is there's a ton of stuff Gunn could have picked from '82-88 that would suffice, but he goes for some shit that clearly tells more about him than the character he wrote for. That's why I prefer these guys just use the comics as their source material. Star-Lord's supposed to be a somewhat serious character. Gunn is anything but.


Yep. Agreed 100%.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14486
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:06 am

Monker wrote:I know that it has been said. I also know very well that James Gunn said, "Besides the comics - Mass Effect (along with Flash Gordon, Farscape, Star Wars and some others) were my biggest inspirations." But, I do not see much Star Wars influence at all. It may have "inspired" him, but when I watch Guardians no Star Wars film comes to mind at all. Farscape does, as I posted before.


Star Wars is a space opera. GOTG is a space opera. This will be reflected in a moment...

Monker wrote:This is absolutely NOT TRUE. I was thinking it would be some sort of Galaxy Quest type show...which IS a parody. YES, it is HEAVILY influenced by ST:TNG. YES, there is comedy (and there was in TNG, too...just not as much). But, in that first season, it takes its own look at some very classic scifi themes, some with very little comedy at all...and some serious issues in society, which ST:TOS did routinely. It focuses on characters and their relationships while telling the story, sometimes with comedy and sometimes not. The story that was just on today continued a thread from the first season which looked at same sex marriages, sex identification, surgically changing the sex of children, divorce, porn addiction, gender discrimination, and separation of parents and children. That's a parody? I don't think so. Far from it. Seth describes it as a "comedic drama"...and I think that's accurate - not a parody.


Sorry, it's a parody. A parody is defined as "an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect." That's exactly what was on the screen the handful of times I bothered. When you've got Seth going "You've been a major dick all day long!" that's just him pushing the boundary of what's allowed on network TV.

Monker wrote:Meh. CBS was jealous of JJ's reboot, that's true. But, if you want to pin it down to one reason, then I would say ST:D exists because of CBS All Access. However, that is just ONE show. There are now multiple ST shows in development, plus Axanar. That is not because of JJ's reboot...the entire "space opera" is coming back, and GotG proved people want to see it.


...and here we are. And what's the most beloved space opera of them all? Star Wars. Just becomes "no Star Wars film comes to mind" when you watch GOTG doesn't mean nobody else will recognize certain elements.

Monker wrote:If you don't know about Axanar, go to YouTube and watch "Prelude to Axanar", link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

THAT is Star Trek, not the JJ stuff.


That's a different discussion. Make a Star Trek Wars thread.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Lost in Space got rebooted because now we have a plethora of streaming services to house shows like that, if networks like SyFy, FX, HBO or Showtime don't take them. The Orville's on Fox because of Seth McFarlane. Take him out, and it would likely be on Amazon, or not at all.


I disagree with all of that. "Lost In Space" is more than a series on a streaming service. It is well written, well acted, and has some scenes that are shot so well they could be shown in a movie theater. This is a show that had a decent budget, not like Black Mirror or some crap like that. IMO, "Lost In Space" is top notch series that could compete with anything on the networks. The same with "Stranger Things". NetFlix isn't competing with Hulu and Amazon Prime, these shows are above that.


In fact, all of these services are vying for our time (and money). That's why they all show original content. First you say LiS isn't on Netflix because it's a streaming service. Then you say Discovery is on All Access because it's a streaming service (it just happens to be CBS'). Inconsistent.

Monker wrote:The Orville is on FOX because it is a good show. Fans LOVE It. RT has it in the high %90 approval. Yeah, I'm sure Seth has some pull at FOX...but regardless, it would find a place with him or not.


Please. Leave RT out. It's an aggregator, not a review site. It doesn't mean shit. Advertisers need to stop promoting it like it's some kind of seal of approval.

And you yourself just said "fans love it." Yeah, the people who bother to watch The Orville. Not everyone does or wants to.

Monker wrote:Or, a generic Transformers movie.


Sure. That's your benchmark for great cinema, right? Btw, Aquaman's current WW gross is now $940,720,880. I won't be surprised if this ends up passing The Last Jedi, not to mention Age of Extinction.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:22 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote: I am simply stating the facts. The entire movie shows Star Lord as that character. It is who he is. I am not saying anything about 'foreshadowing'. Star Lord is a character who has music as an important part of who he is. It is SHOWN to you repeatedly. Even in GotG2 and Infinity War, they mention it. "There are two types of people in the universe. Those who dance, and those who do not..." "Tell him about how you saved the universe with a dance-off." The Guardians are not supposed to be the smartest people with the smartest lines. "Dance off bro..." is completely in character for who Star Lord is. Every aspect about that scene is completely in character for who he is, who the Guardians are, and how they resolve problems. "Don't call us plucky. We don't know what it means." That IS who they are, how they are INTENTIONALLY written.


That's the problem with obsessively watching a movie - any movie - a million times, you begin to see things that simply are not there. You are ascribing profound motives and mythological character arcs to inch-deep characters.


Nope, I am telling you the facts of what is in the movie because you have forgotten, or ignore, them. That is who Star Lord is from the moment he is introduced all the way through Infinity War, "

Characters like StarLord and Rocket Racoon are about as deep as a Cartman action figure.


I didn't say they were "deep". I said, "Star Lord is a character who has music as an important part of who he is. It is SHOWN to you repeatedly. " THAT IS THE FACT. If you consider that a deep character, than he is a deep character.

The fact that you rattle off all these quotes like the back of your hand tells me all I need to know.


Good. Perhaps next time you will actually know the facts before you start.

Monker wrote:But, your facts are just off above. He was abducted in 1988...Cheers started in 1982, Full House (with John Stamos) started in 1987, Sam Cooke is way old school....so all of that he was exposed to as a kid in the 80's. He was not a "small child", either...he was a kid...obviously a gradeschool kid with a backpack and a walkman....not roaming about in diapers.


Because all little kids watched Cheers? Because all little kids knew the cast of Full House by name?


No, you originally said, "Amazing how he was abducted as a small child but references everything from Cheers toto John Stamos to Sam Cooke." It is perfectly plausible that he was exposed to it and could reference it. And, he is not a "small child" and not even a "little kid", IMO. He's a kid around 8yrs old...again, that is the fact.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:16 am

Marvel stans have lost the plot. Some claim Aquaman's unprecedented worldwide box office is "rigged." :roll:

Meanwhile, Marvel releases a new Captain Marvel poster that is clearly inspired by Wonder Woman.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:25 pm

verslibre wrote:Marvel stans have lost the plot. Some claim Aquaman's unprecedented worldwide box office is "rigged." :roll:


Meh. It's not 'unprecedented" and it's not "rigged". Both are exaggerations.

Meanwhile, Marvel releases a new Captain Marvel poster that is clearly inspired by Wonder Woman.


That's silly. The Forbes article is essentially saying WB had WW standing alone without any supporting characters...But, Marvel also had both the Incredible Hulk and Doctor Strange shown in the same way. It is as silly as saying WB was inspired by the Doctor Strange poster. When I look at this poster, it doesn't remind me of WW at all. It is a great a poster tho...as was the WW posters But, go ahead and keep whining about it...it will just add a lot of free press for it. And, the third trailer is great.

Image
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:19 pm

verslibre wrote:Sorry, it's a parody. A parody is defined as "an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect." That's exactly what was on the screen the handful of times I bothered. When you've got Seth going "You've been a major dick all day long!" that's just him pushing the boundary of what's allowed on network TV.


You are simply wrong. It is not a parody, even by that definition. It has nothing to do with dick jokes.

For example:
"New Dimensions" - examines what a two dimensional space may be like, and what lifeforms would be like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlXPvvtP8u4

"Fire Storm" - A crew member freezes during a fire and as a result someone dies, and she blames herself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAn8o0U36s

"Mad Idolatry" - An examination of the evolution of religion and God:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-SU1Es4-8w

...and there are others that are serious scifi with hardly any joking at all. Are there silly episodes? Of course. But, it is NOT a parody. Space Balls is a parody. Galaxy Quest is a parody. The Orville is a scifi show, heavily influenced by ST:TNG, with humor in it.

...and here we are. And what's the most beloved space opera of them all?


ST:TOS? ST:TNG? Firefly? The original Flash Gordon? BSG?

Star Wars.


That is debatable,

Just becomes "no Star Wars film comes to mind" when you watch GOTG doesn't mean nobody else will recognize certain elements.


So, where are they? Gunn also mentioned Flash Gordon and Farscape, both are space operas. Where is the Star Wars in GotG?

In fact, all of these services are vying for our time (and money). That's why they all show original content. First you say LiS isn't on Netflix because it's a streaming service. Then you say Discovery is on All Access because it's a streaming service (it just happens to be CBS'). Inconsistent.


That is not what I said. NOWHERE did I said that LiS is not on Netflix because it's a streaming service. NOWHERE did I say that ST:D is on CBS All Access because it's a streaming service.

What I am saying about ST:D is that it was THE premier show to launch that service. ST:D was there to sell that service. ST:D would not exist if it were not for CBS All Access. Seth McFarlane asked CBS to reboot ST years ago. They turned him down. That was where the idea for the Orville came about. CBS was not interested in making new ST....until they launched their streaming service.

What I am saying about LiS (and the second and third season of Stranger Things) is it was given a bigger budget and it upped the quality of these series on the streaming services. NetFlix is proving they can compete with the networks with quality shows. The Witcher may be another example...competing for the Game of Thrones crowd. You said, "Lost in Space got rebooted because now we have a plethora of streaming services to house shows like that, if networks like SyFy, FX, HBO or Showtime don't take them." I am saying NetFlix made these shows to compete with the big boys, not Hulu and Amazon.

Monker wrote:Or, a generic Transformers movie.


Sure. That's your benchmark for great cinema, right? Btw, Aquaman's current WW gross is now $940,720,880. I won't be surprised if this ends up passing The Last Jedi, not to mention Age of Extinction.


No, your benchmark for great cinema seems to be box office. I am simply pointing out that even a mediocre Transformer movie can reach a billion dollars world wide....so it does not mean Aquaman is "quality" because it sold well.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Monker wrote:When I look at this poster, it doesn't remind me of WW at all.


Wrong one. Here's the brand new one.

Image
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:00 pm

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:ST:TOS? ST:TNG? Firefly? The original Flash Gordon? BSG?


Star Wars.


That is debatable.


Not really.

Monker wrote:No, your benchmark for great cinema seems to be box office.


I'll remember that the next time you praise Age of Ultron. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Those posters look EXACTLY like Wonder Woman's, bright primary colors shining all over the place and all. It's a good move by Marvel since Wonder Woman was a global smash with a message to females.

They better get a jump on the "Meh, it was okay..but not Wonder Woman" digs now.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2685
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:10 am

Monker wrote:Nope, I am telling you the facts of what is in the movie because you have forgotten, or ignore, them. That is who Star Lord is from the moment he is introduced all the way through Infinity War, "


Movies are subjective dude.

An example of a FACT is that Chris Pratt plays StarLord.
An example of an OPINION is attempting to absolve shitty attempts at humor (such as "dance off bro") by pretentiously harrumphing that the character has a subtext of "appreciating music."

Where you see a Merchant Ivory-style chamber drama I see a scatological space farce that sounds like it was written by a hormonal teenager.

Monker wrote:I didn't say they were "deep". I said, "Star Lord is a character who has music as an important part of who he is. It is SHOWN to you repeatedly. " THAT IS THE FACT. If you consider that a deep character, than he is a deep character.


You are claiming that the character had a thematic through-line of dancing/music. Yes, you are attributing depth to cardboard characters.

Monker wrote:No, you originally said, "Amazing how he was abducted as a small child but references everything from Cheers toto John Stamos to Sam Cooke." It is perfectly plausible that he was exposed to it and could reference it. And, he is not a "small child" and not even a "little kid", IMO. He's a kid around 8yrs old...again, that is the fact.


Again, find me an 8 year old that knows who Jackson Pollack is. Find me an 8 year old who knows John Stamos by name. Again, find me an 8 year old who knows the Maltese Falcon. Shit writing in a shit movie lapped up by idiots.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14486
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:03 am

@GiteshPandya

3 hours ago


More
Yet another milestone day today for #Aquaman which will smash thru the $700M mark at the intl #boxoffice tonight. Latest updated totals thru TUE:

Intl: $696.9M
Domestic: $266.5M
Global: $963.4M

Shd go into FRI with about $980M and then break ONE BILLION on SAT.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 am

Hey, Monksy, remember when I commented on how certain directors were visually referencing some key beats from MoS and BvS — and how you refused to buy it?

Have a looksee. :)

https://twitter.com/Josh2Gud4U/status/1082815770814500865
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 am

Evidently, the first draft of the script lacked spectacle, as Reeves' Batman film is targeting a more detective thriller vibe than an outright action film. Because of that though perhaps the first draft was a little lacking in that department, something the second draft has corrected according to what they're hearing. As for how much action, it is being described to be between Se7en and The Dark Knight.


https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/01/09/the-batman-movie-rumored-added-spectacle/
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:13 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:An example of a FACT is that Chris Pratt plays StarLord.


Fact: The opening scene has Little Lord listening to music on his Walkman.
Fact: The first scene with Star Lord has him dancing to retrieve the orb.
Fact: When they are captured and taken to the Kyln, Star Lord demands his Walkman back because "that song belongs to me".
Fact: When they escape the Kyln, Star Lord goes back to retrieve his Walkman
Fact: He talks to Gamora about the hero Kevin Bacon and how he saves the world from from people with sticks up their butts because they didn't like people dancing.
Fact: He lets Gamora listen to his walkman and dances with her.

Fact: in the opening scene of Vol 2, Rocket says, "...blame Quill. He's the one who likes music so much."
Fact: Baby Groot plugs in the boom box and dances around to Star Lord's music.
Fact: "There are two types of people in the world; Those who dance and those who do not."
Fact: "...You should not have crushed my Walkman!
Fact: The new ship is called the Benatar.

Fact: When we first see the Guardians in Infinity War, they are all jamming and singing along to music in the Benatar.
Fact: "Tell him how you saved the universe with a dance off!"

An example of an OPINION is attempting to absolve shitty attempts at humor (such as "dance off bro") by pretentiously harrumphing that the character has a subtext of "appreciating music."


It was a distraction, you turd blossom!

Where you see a Merchant Ivory-style chamber drama I see a scatological space farce that sounds like it was written by a hormonal teenager.


So what? All of that is YOUR opinion...it has nothing to do with me.

You are claiming that the character had a thematic through-line of dancing/music. Yes, you are attributing depth to cardboard characters.


If that is what you believe creates a deep character, then by YOUR definition, Star Lord is a deep character. I'm not the one making that (or any) argument...you are making it for me, and doing a good job of it, too.

Monker wrote:No, you originally said, "Amazing how he was abducted as a small child but references everything from Cheers toto John Stamos to Sam Cooke." It is perfectly plausible that he was exposed to it and could reference it. And, he is not a "small child" and not even a "little kid", IMO. He's a kid around 8yrs old...again, that is the fact.


Again, find me an 8 year old that knows who Jackson Pollack is. Find me an 8 year old who knows John Stamos by name. Again, find me an 8 year old who knows the Maltese Falcon. Shit writing in a shit movie lapped up by idiots.


Not my point. You said it is AMAZING. It's not. It's perfectly plausible...and since it is a MOVIE, a FICTION, that is all it needs to be.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:13 pm

verslibre wrote:Hey, Monksy, remember when I commented on how certain directors were visually referencing some key beats from MoS and BvS — and how you refused to buy it?

Have a looksee. :)

https://twitter.com/Josh2Gud4U/status/1082815770814500865


I have no idea what you are talking about.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:18 pm

User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2685
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 am

"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:07 am

"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests