'Worlds of DC' THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 23, 2019 5:04 am

Will prolly check out Brightburn this week. Has a genre mash-up of superhero flick + horror been tried before? Maybe Blade? Drawing a blank.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Thu May 23, 2019 8:02 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Will prolly check out Brightburn this week. Has a genre mash-up of superhero flick + horror been tried before? Maybe Blade? Drawing a blank.

John Wick 3 is my priority right now. Then Godzilla: KOTM.

As for Brightburn, Grace Randolph said she's not going to review it because she was (I guess) so turned off by its violence.

Naturally, that kind of comment just makes a horror guy like me want to watch it. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu May 23, 2019 9:42 am

verslibre wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Will prolly check out Brightburn this week. Has a genre mash-up of superhero flick + horror been tried before? Maybe Blade? Drawing a blank.

John Wick 3 is my priority right now. Then Godzilla: KOTM.

As for Brightburn, Grace Randolph said she's not going to review it because she was (I guess) so turned off by its violence.

Naturally, that kind of comment just makes a horror guy like me want to watch it. :lol:

She also said the same thing about some scenes in Hellboy.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed May 29, 2019 11:06 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu May 30, 2019 11:29 pm

Beat me to it, v! :lol:

Also, Ava Duvernay set to write New Gods with Batman comic book writer Tom King! HAIL TO DARKSEID.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri May 31, 2019 5:39 am

:lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Fri May 31, 2019 5:39 am

BATMAN UPDATE: Robert Pattinson & Nicholas Hoult are screen testing for the role. I suspect they're screen testing in the Batsuit because Wardrobe Department will need full wardrobe test. Additionally, the film will now start production in Q1 2020.

https://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status/1134150262816354309
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:18 am

Battison confirmed!

He's going to CRUSH the Batman role. Absolutely love this casting.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:00 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Battison confirmed!

I understand the decision to reboot. However, Affleck was one of the redeeming qualities of BvS. By Justice League, he came off bloated and uninspired. Still, it's a shame he never got a chance to have his own solo Bat film.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:53 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I understand the decision to reboot. However, Affleck was one of the redeeming qualities of BvS. By Justice League, he came off bloated and uninspired. Still, it's a shame he never got a chance to have his own solo Bat film.

I really wanted that Batman solo from Ben. We missed out on something huge. Anytime I stop and watch that warehouse scene via YT, I'm still wowed. That said, I wanted WB to get Reeves in some capacity, and they did. My guess is they offered him Batman and Superman, and maybe Green Lantern Corps, but he went for Batman since Ben wasn't doing his movie any longer.

The thing is, due to WB's constant slate tweakery, I know some DC fans are so put off that they're saying they won't be checking out future films. I think that's the wrong way to go, even with as much as Tsujihara and whoever messed with stuff.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:45 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

That was all one huge bummer. I think Ben would have made a great Batman movie. The pieces were there then he seemed to be in over his head. He mentioned how he was in awe of Snyder on-set in how he commanded certain shots and I think overall, Affleck was out of his league and didn't want the pressure of not only directing a superhero flick, but direct a BATMAN flick and BE BATMAN. You could tell he was over it very quickly and he seemed relieved as hell to say "I'm..NOT Batman?" on Kimmel. More reports are also saying he walked away from the role and not WB's firing of him. Once Ben walked, Reeves had to hard rewrite. Regardless, we missed out on something great. The fans lost that one but I really do believe in Reeves handling of the franchise and I think they got a great actor in the lead role. I'm happy for Bat-fans.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:56 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:The fans lost that one but I really do believe in Reeves handling of the franchise and I think they got a great actor in the lead role. I'm happy for Bat-fans.

Yea, until this guy up and quits.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:12 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:The fans lost that one but I really do believe in Reeves handling of the franchise and I think they got a great actor in the lead role. I'm happy for Bat-fans.

Yea, until this guy up and quits.

Looks like he's in for three movies.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:13 am

Oh, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters kicked major ass. Damn, that's some good shit!
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:50 am

verslibre wrote:Looks like he's in for three movies.

Doesn't mean anything. Affleck's deal was for multiple Bat films. Lazenby was offered multiple Bonds.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby TotoStu » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:16 am

I'm the biggest DC comics fan going. Just thought I'd throw that in.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby verslibre » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:32 am

TotoStu wrote:I'm the biggest DC comics fan going. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Right on. Patty Jenkins just dropped the new Wonder Woman 1984 poster. The movie arrives exactly one year from today.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:55 am

TotoStu wrote:I'm the biggest DC comics fan going. Just thought I'd throw that in.

I like you.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby TotoStu » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:01 am

verslibre wrote:Right on. Patty Jenkins just dropped the new Wonder Woman 1984 poster. The movie arrives exactly one year from today.

I saw that, it looks fantastic! I love the first one!

YoungJRNYfan wrote:I like you.

I'm sure the feeling is mutual my good man! :D

I have an absolutely enormous DC collection! Bedroom wall covered in posters. I don't collect individual issues I just get the trades - my collection must number into the hundreds for sure.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby verslibre » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 am

TotoStu wrote:
verslibre wrote:Right on. Patty Jenkins just dropped the new Wonder Woman 1984 poster. The movie arrives exactly one year from today.

I saw that, it looks fantastic! I love the first one!

I kept trying to work yesterday and I was distracted. :lol:

DC's streaming service dropped the first episode of Swamp Thing last Friday. The pilot's bonkers. Can't wait for tomorrow's second episode.

TotoStu wrote:I have an absolutely enormous DC collection! Bedroom wall covered in posters. I don't collect individual issues I just get the trades - my collection must number into the hundreds for sure.

Right on. What's your Top 5 or 10? Some of mine:

Crisis on Infinite Earths
Batman: The Dark Knight
Batman: Year One
Blackest Night
Man of Steel
(John Byrne)
Superman: Birthright
Swamp Thing (all of it, '70s-forward)
Wonder Woman (George Pérez reboot)

The recent Brave & The Bold miniseries with Batman and Wonder Woman was unbelievably rad. Same for the current Green Lantern.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:19 am

...and then I learn that the second season of Swamp Thing has been cancelled.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:31 am

HBO might pick up Swamp Thing...!

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:33 am

I have an absolutely enormous DC collection! Bedroom wall covered in posters. I don't collect individual issues I just get the trades - my collection must number into the hundreds for sure.

Sweet! I'm a high end collector of figures and statues. Got an entire Man Cave chalked full of Superman (I bleed blue), glass cases, LED lights and all. I'm off and on with monthly comics depending on an event or writer/artist. I'm definitely more of a trade guy nowadays for sure. Do you have a store called Ollies near you? They had a big buyout with DC Comics. $35-50 hardcover/softcover graphic novels chalked up at $3-6.99. It's insane. I bought $700 worth of GN's for like $80 tops.

Who's your favorite character?
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby TotoStu » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:41 pm

verslibre wrote:Right on. What's your Top 5 or 10? Some of mine:

Crisis on Infinite Earths
Batman: The Dark Knight
Batman: Year One
Blackest Night
Man of Steel
(John Byrne)
Superman: Birthright
Swamp Thing (all of it, '70s-forward)
Wonder Woman (George Pérez reboot)

Wow... now you're asking!

First off I'm a sucker for anything post crisis - so John Byrne's Superman and mid - late 80s Batman are big faves. I have a big collection of those trades.

As for other favourites...
Batman Year One (MAYBE my favourite comic book EVER)
Batman The Dark Knight Returns
Batman Hush
Batman The Long Halloween
Batman Knightfall Saga
The Death Of Superman Saga (actually maybe this is my favourite ever...)
Superman Secret Origin
Superman Birthright
The Flash Born To Run
Watchmen
Superman Batman Public Enemies
Dark Nights Metal

Wasn't all that keen on New 52 although I'd say I've read most of it. LOVED Rebirth - sad to see it go actually. Particularly fond of the Batman, Superman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman and Wonder Woman titles - aswell as Nightwing who is a character I have a real soft spot for.

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Sweet! I'm a high end collector of figures and statues. Got an entire Man Cave chalked full of Superman (I bleed blue), glass cases, LED lights and all. I'm off and on with monthly comics depending on an event or writer/artist. I'm definitely more of a trade guy nowadays for sure. Do you have a store called Ollies near you? They had a big buyout with DC Comics. $35-50 hardcover/softcover graphic novels chalked up at $3-6.99. It's insane. I bought $700 worth of GN's for like $80 tops.

Who's your favorite character?

Nah, no Ollie's but there's a place fairly near to me called Dark Star that I've frequented in the past. I get most of it online though.

Favourite character? It's a tie between Batman and Superman. Both for different reasons. I've got to go out in a minute so I can't get into the whys and wherefores but I'll hit this thread up again later! :D
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:14 am

TotoStu wrote:Batman Year One (MAYBE my favourite comic book EVER)

The gold standard for Batman origins.

TotoStu wrote:Batman The Dark Knight Returns
Batman Hush
Batman The Long Halloween
Batman Knightfall Saga
The Death Of Superman Saga (actually maybe this is my favourite ever...)
Superman Secret Origin
Superman Birthright
The Flash Born To Run
Watchmen
Superman Batman Public Enemies
Dark Nights Metal

I forgot to include Watchmen in my shortlist, which is certainly one of the greatest things DC's ever published. I need to resume Dark Nights: Metal, which is positively insane.

Don't miss the recent The Brave and the Bold miniseries/collection with Batman and Wonder Woman, drawn by the inimitable Liam Sharpe. He continues to outdo himself. Stunning visuals that hark back to Al Williamson and Wally Wood.

TotoStu wrote:Wasn't all that keen on New 52 although I'd say I've read most of it. LOVED Rebirth - sad to see it go actually. Particularly fond of the Batman, Superman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman and Wonder Woman titles - aswell as Nightwing who is a character I have a real soft spot for.

Check out the pair of Batman: Earth Two graphic novels, with superb artwork by Gary Frank.

I dig New 52 Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (same team as Metal). Snyder also wrote Swamp Thing for a spell, cooking up the cool Rotworld concept.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:16 am

Black Adam is upgraded to full development (unsubstantiated Feige rumor notwithstanding), with The Shallows director Jaume Collet-Serra attached.

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/status/1137086713027878912
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby TotoStu » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:51 pm

verslibre wrote:Check out the pair of Batman: Earth Two graphic novels, with superb artwork by Gary Frank.

That'll be a bit down the line dude. At the moment my main concerns are Geoff Johns Flash and Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman!
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:15 am

One of my favorite books is Superman: And the Legion of Superheros with the team of Johns and Frank. Great book all around. An underrated run that highlights Superman's importance to the past, future and present. A strong characterization.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:01 am

verslibre wrote:Black Adam is upgraded to full development (unsubstantiated Feige rumor notwithstanding), with The Shallows director Jaume Collet-Serra attached.

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/status/1137086713027878912

Sweet! I'm hoping Johnson stays signed on to star. I have a weird feeling about that. He's been tapped to be Black Adam forever so I hope DC/WB is serious and begins mapping The Rock's film out or risk losing him. Henry, in all likelihood, is out as Superman but if Johnson stays and Black Adam does his part in the Shazam universe then that's where the 1% chance of Henry coming back comes into play.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara