'Worlds of DC' THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Paul Dano cast as Riddler in Reeves' Batman.

Black Manta confirmed to return for Aquaman 2.

Rock confirms Black Adam to start production in July.

Mistah J going to flirt with $900 mil on a $55 mil dollar budget.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:29 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Mistah J going to flirt with $900 mil on a $55 mil dollar budget.


@BoxOfficePro

$490.3M Overseas Total
$737.5M Global Total

Joker is #3 this weekend, but it made a serious dent in Maleficent's take.

Image
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6516
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:08 am

verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Mistah J going to flirt with $900 mil on a $55 mil dollar budget.


@BoxOfficePro

$490.3M Overseas Total
$737.5M Global Total

Joker is #3 this weekend, but it made a serious dent in Maleficent's take.

Image



DC's JOKER can't stop grinning. Shattering expectations. Playing like a true blue blockbuster as opposed to an R-rated drama. Huge win for WB. Another $29M this weekend, dipping just -48%, and now $247M total, passing the lifetime domestic totals of JUSTICE LEAGUE ($229M), DOCTOR STRANGE ($232M) and X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST ($233M).
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:41 am

DoFP was supposed to be the X-franchise's crown jewel, too.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6516
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:53 am

Hot damn..

Fantastic $47.8M at intl #boxoffice for #Joker in its 4th wknd boosting intl cume to $571.5M and global haul to incredible $849.1M. Has passed #WonderWoman & #MissionImpossible5 and will soon beat #ThorRagnarok, #GOTG2 & #Venom on its way to smashing the $1B mark.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:27 am

Joker's gonna beat Ragnarok...too good, lol!
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6516
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:41 am

And this is without China.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Memorex » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:00 pm

I don't read this thread and I am not a comic/super-hero movie fanboy type. I like a good movie and have seen most of them, but more casually and most of the stuff in these types of threads would be over my head and bore me to tears.

That said, I've seen Joker twice now and for me, it's one of the best movies I have ever seen. It's been over a week since I first saw it and every day I am just thinking about it more and more. Any complaint I have about it would be tiny. I don't think in my lifetime I have gone to a theater twice to see a movie, unless some friend was dragging me along for the 2nd showing. I am planning to go a third time in the next day or two. For some that might be considered normal but for me I almost feel deranged about it, because who the fuck goes to a theater three times to see a movie?

It's funny because I am a huge Joaquin fan. I like most of the Todd Phillips movies, though that would be a weird justification to see it since it is so different than his past stuff. But I had a block. I was like oh, another comic book movie. How exciting. /s But this is not that in the least. And unlike TNC, I like origin stories more than when they are the super-hero/villain. So this was perfect. And as far as what this or that meant, the ending, etc. - I've read a million different takes and that's how it should be with this kind of thing. I'm perfectly fine not being spoon-fed what it all meant.

As a bonus, a lot of people hate the movie Due Date. I actually love that movie. So getting the Ethan Chase reference was great.

I'm not really one to care who wins awards, but I'd be truly shocked if this doesn't get best actor, director, score, and cinematography. And I'd even be a bit shocked if it doesn't get screenplay.

As far as the media crying about violence - wow did they miss the point of the movie and having just watched all three John Wick movies, Joker is like Sound of Music.
User avatar
Memorex
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3378
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:23 pm

So, DC's streaming service is going to be combined with HBONow to create HBOMax.

I think this is a great move...and the way it should have been done from the start. I already have HBONow, so I am going to end up with all of this with no extra cost to me.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10434
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:45 pm

Well, first of all, I saw LOTR:RotK three times. And, I think I saw the first GotG three times.

But, Joker is not really a "super hero" movie. In a way, it really should be called "Arthur Fleck" because the Joker doesn't really show up, and may just be a wannabe character inside Arthur's head. In fact, the entire movie could be inside Arthur's head. in a way, that is an issue because it's not the study of Joker, but the study of a man going insane. Maybe that's the same thing, but it's not explained that way. If they had taken the bits with Bruce Wayne out, and rename his dad, and set it in NY, it would not even have to be a Joker movie.

That is why I have issues with this Joker showing up in future movies. DC put themselves in a bit of a corner. They have a super popular version of a character that was not devised to have another movie. Just don't know if they should do it.

It's a great movie, that's true...but the movie itself is a bit of an oddball.

Memorex wrote:I don't read this thread and I am not a comic/super-hero movie fanboy type. I like a good movie and have seen most of them, but more casually and most of the stuff in these types of threads would be over my head and bore me to tears.

That said, I've seen Joker twice now and for me, it's one of the best movies I have ever seen. It's been over a week since I first saw it and every day I am just thinking about it more and more. Any complaint I have about it would be tiny. I don't think in my lifetime I have gone to a theater twice to see a movie, unless some friend was dragging me along for the 2nd showing. I am planning to go a third time in the next day or two. For some that might be considered normal but for me I almost feel deranged about it, because who the fuck goes to a theater three times to see a movie?

It's funny because I am a huge Joaquin fan. I like most of the Todd Phillips movies, though that would be a weird justification to see it since it is so different than his past stuff. But I had a block. I was like oh, another comic book movie. How exciting. /s But this is not that in the least. And unlike TNC, I like origin stories more than when they are the super-hero/villain. So this was perfect. And as far as what this or that meant, the ending, etc. - I've read a million different takes and that's how it should be with this kind of thing. I'm perfectly fine not being spoon-fed what it all meant.

As a bonus, a lot of people hate the movie Due Date. I actually love that movie. So getting the Ethan Chase reference was great.

I'm not really one to care who wins awards, but I'd be truly shocked if this doesn't get best actor, director, score, and cinematography. And I'd even be a bit shocked if it doesn't get screenplay.

As far as the media crying about violence - wow did they miss the point of the movie and having just watched all three John Wick movies, Joker is like Sound of Music.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10434
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Memorex » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:57 am

Joker passes a billion dollars today and on that super low budget. Good to see. If I look at the list of top grossing movies of all time, for me, nothing on that list is a better movie than Joker. That's just my opinion of course.

It's definitely the most profitable comic book movie of all time and I've read in a few places where it may be the most profitable movie period. I also allow that calling it a comic book movie isn't really super accurate.
User avatar
Memorex
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3378
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:33 am

Hot off Joker, The Rock has officially announced BLACK ADAM and release date. 12.22.2021! Cinematographer Lawrence Sher (‘Joker’, ‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’) has joined the crew for ‘BLACK ADAM’.

December: Wonder Woman 1984 trailer, Birds of Prey and (RUMOR) Pattison in the Batsuit! WB/DC is on fire.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:49 pm

DAMN! The #ReleaseTheSnyderCut movement has reached another LEVEL. The coordinated move by all of those involved and huge names in Hollywood are calling for the Snyder Cut on its 2 year anniversary. The Snyder Cut was trending #1 worldwide and is still going strong.

Zack posted towards the movement, as did Gal Gadot and Affleck. Huge momentum changer happening.
This thing is going to happen. Just the matter of time.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:46 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Hot off Joker, The Rock has officially announced BLACK ADAM and release date. 12.22.2021! Cinematographer Lawrence Sher (‘Joker’, ‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’) has joined the crew for ‘BLACK ADAM’.

December: Wonder Woman 1984 trailer, Birds of Prey and (RUMOR) Pattison in the Batsuit! WB/DC is on fire.


Well, that's a huge exaggeration.

You have a TRAILER for a movie next year. A mediocre film with Birds of Prey...IMO, it looks horrible. And, the possibility of seeing a guy dressed in bat suit.

In addition, you have the DCU streaming service in direct competition with HBO Max. You have The Green Lantern Corp movie being canceled and turned into a GL series for HBO Max. I have also read things about DC movies skipping theaters and going directly to HBO MAX, which, IMO, is what Birds of Prey should probably do.

I don't see WB or DC on fire at all...just doing the same mediocre and hit/miss stuff they have done for years now.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10434
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Memorex wrote:Joker passes a billion dollars today and on that super low budget. Good to see. If I look at the list of top grossing movies of all time, for me, nothing on that list is a better movie than Joker. That's just my opinion of course.

It's definitely the most profitable comic book movie of all time and I've read in a few places where it may be the most profitable movie period. I also allow that calling it a comic book movie isn't really super accurate.


I have a hard time believing this. How can a $1 billion film be more profitable than a $2 billion film like End Game or Avatar. Even with Joker's tiny budget, Avatar and End Game would need over a billion dollar budget to be less profitable. It make no sense at all.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10434
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:01 pm

So, this is how Joker becomes the most profitable movie:
"Regarding besting Marvel, Joker only cost around $50 million or so to make and didn't feature heavy special effects or high paid actors, so the return is really high. For a comparison, something like Marvel's Avengers: Endgame would have needed to bring in around $7.2 billion to achieve what Joker has at the box office (20x return). Disney even confirmed themselves that big flicks such as Endgame and Infinity War don't bring in as much profit due to all the high costs surrounding those types of movies."

So, they are looking at "rate of return"...a percentage of dollars invested vs. dollars of profit. They are not looking at a flat, "which movie made more money." Silly Hollywood match.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10434
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:31 am

The Snyder Cut flames heating up. Wonder Woman soon. More Harley Quinn. Battison. Rock as Black Adam. More casting news. Aquaman 1 bil. Joker 1 bil. Crisis on Infinite Earths. WB/DC on fiiiiiire babbby.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:35 am

Daniel Richtman: "JJ Abrams likely to direct Superman. Hearing Birds of Prey is great. More casting for Batman soon".

FIRE.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:32 am

Henry Cavill: "I won't remain silent. Superman will be done justice. I have not givin up the role. The cape is still in my closet. There's more Superman to tell. You'll see".
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:57 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Daniel Richtman: "JJ Abrams likely to direct Superman. Hearing Birds of Prey is great. More casting for Batman soon".

FIRE.


All that is is rumors. It's an imaginary fire.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10434
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:11 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:The Snyder Cut flames heating up. Wonder Woman soon. More Harley Quinn. Battison. Rock as Black Adam. More casting news. Aquaman 1 bil. Joker 1 bil. Crisis on Infinite Earths. WB/DC on fiiiiiire babbby.


The Snyder cut will never be release. First, it probably doesn't exist. Even if it does, WB will be foolish to release it and ignite Snyder fans to demand he come back..

WW should have been released this year. They were foolish to delay it

Birds of Prey looks bad, really bad.

Yeah, WB has a couple billion dollar films. So, DC releases one very successful movie a year...that's not THAT big of a deal.

The Crisis series is in the Arrowverse, right? I'm sure you'll like it and all, but it's just not that big of a deal. I mean, baby Yoda from the mediocre Mandoloran series has more attention.

And, you ignore the fall of DC Universe streaming. The fall of Green Lantern Corps. The horrible box office of Shazam. The horrible decision to delay WW into next year.

DC isn't "on fire", they are just DC with a couple big movies released almost a year apart. I mean, be happy and all of that, but "on fire", nah, not really.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10434
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:17 pm

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEE
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:25 am

Joker sequel in the works. FIRE.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:11 am

Monker wrote:In addition, you have the DCU streaming service in direct competition with HBO Max.


Not finalized. And I'm pretty Max subscribers will be able to watch the shows.

Monker wrote:You have The Green Lantern Corp movie being canceled and turned into a GL series for HBO Max.


They're pouring 100 million into it, too. Sounds good to me.

Monker wrote:I have also read things about DC movies skipping theaters and going directly to HBO MAX, which, IMO, is what Birds of Prey should probably do.


Conjectural molasses. Every blogger, every tweeter, every podcaster is cannibalizing the next guy/girl's babble. Everyone loves to say "my source" but in the end, I think it's just speculation.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6516
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:13 am

The Snyder cut will never be release. First, it probably doesn't exist.


Fool.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:15 am

Monker wrote:So, this is how Joker becomes the most profitable movie:
"Regarding besting Marvel, Joker only cost around $50 million or so to make and didn't feature heavy special effects or high paid actors, so the return is really high. For a comparison, something like Marvel's Avengers: Endgame would have needed to bring in around $7.2 billion to achieve what Joker has at the box office (20x return). Disney even confirmed themselves that big flicks such as Endgame and Infinity War don't bring in as much profit due to all the high costs surrounding those types of movies."

So, they are looking at "rate of return"...a percentage of dollars invested vs. dollars of profit. They are not looking at a flat, "which movie made more money." Silly Hollywood match.


"Which movie made more money" (gross) is exactly what you shouldn't be looking at. Endgame doesn't look as good as Infinity War, but was "more expensive." The cast was huge, and a few got serious money (you know exactly who). They went overtime on promotion, too. Yes, Joker is more profitable when it comes to net. Don't forget, Joker's not playing in China. The Marvel movies make a lot over there, but overseas returns are significantly lower than domestic.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6516
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:27 am

Monker wrote:The Snyder cut will never be release. First, it probably doesn't exist.


Seriously? Confirmed by multiple sources including Jay Oliva and Jason Momoa. It is not 100% finished, but it's there. Zack cannot release it. He cannot leak it. The studio would enact legal action. Ray Fisher (Cyborg) said Zack shot four hours' worth of footage. If you think an alternate cut cannot be assembled, you're bonkers.

Monker wrote:Even if it does, WB will be foolish to release it and ignite Snyder fans to demand he come back.


You're way late to the party, dude. Ignited. Past tense.

Monker wrote:WW should have been released this year. They were foolish to delay it


Patty did say she thinks it should have been released, but it's a good thing Joker happened. If Joaquin doesn't get Best Oscar for that, that will be whack.

Monker wrote:Birds of Prey looks bad, really bad.


Just wait for the next Ant-Man movie.

Monker wrote:Yeah, WB has a couple billion dollar films. So, DC releases one very successful movie a year...that's not THAT big of a deal.


What is your deal? :lol:

Monker wrote:The Crisis series is in the Arrowverse, right? I'm sure you'll like it and all, but it's just not that big of a deal.


For you. An event like that has never been done. Marvel couldn't even pull this off. We're going to see actors from old series and even Kevin Conroy, the voice of Batman in animation. If they can get Lynda Carter in there, that will be nuts. Routh will be in a dual role. You can't get more "multiple Earths" than that. The series was awesome, so if they can do this, that's great.


Monker wrote:I mean, baby Yoda from the mediocre Mandoloran series has more attention.


Disney just wants to sell toys. That thing's an abomination.

Monker wrote: The fall of Green Lantern Corps.


You should go be a blogger/tweeter, though there are too many of them now. I bet the MCU guys would love how you spin thread after thread of bs like this. How many projects morph during development (not preproduction)? MYRIAD. You know what that word means, right? :lol:

Monker wrote:The horrible box office of Shazam.


Shazam 2 is happening. Enjoy. Black Adam will be something.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6516
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby verslibre » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:37 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
The Snyder cut will never be release. First, it probably doesn't exist.


Fool.


They should upload the cut to HBO Max as is. I don't care if it's unfinished. The studio won't put any more money into it and Zack is working on Army of the Dead.

Tone is more important to me. I want to see it without all the nonsense about the family and Joss' lame comedy. And without the opening. The real opening's a flashback to BvS.

Honestly, for me, I'm more ticked about not getting Ben's Batman movie. But I'm still looking forward to Reeves' film. I've seen hate directed at Reeves in relation to Zack leaving Justice League. That's just ridiculous. Reeves had nothing to do with that.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6516
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:14 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Joker sequel in the works. FIRE.


LOL...when I Google that I see just as many "No, a Joker sequel is not in the works as previous reports say."
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10434
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby Monker » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:18 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:So, this is how Joker becomes the most profitable movie:
"Regarding besting Marvel, Joker only cost around $50 million or so to make and didn't feature heavy special effects or high paid actors, so the return is really high. For a comparison, something like Marvel's Avengers: Endgame would have needed to bring in around $7.2 billion to achieve what Joker has at the box office (20x return). Disney even confirmed themselves that big flicks such as Endgame and Infinity War don't bring in as much profit due to all the high costs surrounding those types of movies."

So, they are looking at "rate of return"...a percentage of dollars invested vs. dollars of profit. They are not looking at a flat, "which movie made more money." Silly Hollywood match.


"Which movie made more money" (gross) is exactly what you shouldn't be looking at.


Bullshit. It is misinformation to say Joker is the most profitable film of all time. It is just flat out NOT TRUE.

Endgame doesn't look as good as Infinity War, but was "more expensive." The cast was huge, and a few got serious money (you know exactly who). They went overtime on promotion, too. Yes, Joker is more profitable when it comes to net. Don't forget, Joker's not playing in China. The Marvel movies make a lot over there, but overseas returns are significantly lower than domestic.


So what about all of that. Endgame probably netted a billion dollars more than Joker. It's a farce to claim otherwise.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10434
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 2 guests

cron