Moderator: Andrew

Neil Peart - RIP

Postby Memorex » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:56 am

Wow. 67. That's crazy.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Re: Neil Peart - RIP

Postby tedpruitt » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:43 am

What a gut-punch. There will never be another drummer or lyricist of his like. Tremendous loss.
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby Abitaman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:59 am

I just saw this on USA Today. IMO the greatest drummer ever.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby verslibre » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:34 pm

Today fucking sucked.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RPM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:59 am

tedpruitt wrote:What a gut-punch. There will never be another drummer or lyricist of his like. Tremendous loss.

Very True. His combination of being a Virtuoso Drummer & Lyricist in Rock music is unparalleled.
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:41 pm

RPM wrote:
tedpruitt wrote:What a gut-punch. There will never be another drummer or lyricist of his like. Tremendous loss.

Very True. His combination of being a Virtuoso Drummer & Lyricist in Rock music is unparalleled.

If you want his books (or at least the ones you don't already own), get them now. Several of them were upgraded to besteller today on Amazon, and prices shot up. Ghost Rider was sold out, last I saw.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby tedpruitt » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:05 am

verslibre wrote:If you want his books (or at least the ones you don't already own), get them now. Several of them were upgraded to besteller today on Amazon, and prices shot up. Ghost Rider was sold out, last I saw.

FYI - his publisher, ECW (https://ecwpress.com/collections/vendors?q=Peart%2C%20Neil) seems to still have them all in stock for the time-being. I had most in paperback, other than the "coffee table" books he released toward the end. So I ordered Ghost Rider in hardback. The story is so haunting and you really feel like you're right there with him on his journey.

Still reeling from this loss...
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby Memorex » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:07 am

Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Aaron » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:31 pm

Sorry to hear it. 2112 was a game changer for me. I was in 5th grade.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Arkansas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:50 am

Must agree with all. As an aspiring drummer in high school, Moving Pictures changed everything for me. I mean I had rock heroes at the time, (Phil Ehart, Gil Moore, Sib Hashian, Mitch Mitchell, Bonham of course) and I had jazz influence too (Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson, Gene Krupa, Ed Shaughnessy), but never had I heard a record like Moving Pictures. Luckily I had a friend that was a big Alex Lifeson fan, so I borrowed all his RUSH albums for awhile...and discovered Neil Peart. I had no idea what I'd been missing.

How much music could come from three guys? Is there anything that Alex Lifeson couldn't play? How could Geddy Lee play bass, keyboards, and sing so incredibly high? And this drummer wasn't just a drummer. He was as pure a musician as anyone. He was a true percussionist. He had so much going on, all the time. I was blown away. And how could he do it all with such precision? Neil Peart practiced. He studied. He took lessons from spending time with other drummers. He had the desire and drive to always become better. If he were to be crowned, the Greatest of All Time, I could easily agree.

NP @ 5:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTz2TDr79eI

Also, turn on SiriusXM ch.27. The Deep Tracks channel is playing nothing but RUSH.

later~
Arkansas
Stereo LP

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara