1980 A Great year in music

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

1980 A Great year in music

Postby Abitaman » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:11 am

1980 was a great year for music, to me anyway. REO came into their own, Dio and Sabbath made the best album of their careers, AC/DC rocked with a new singer, Rush shortened their songs and they got better, Journey was getting into a good groove and the Genesis remembers were starting a decade plus run of the charts. A guy like me could not ask for more.

1) REO Speedwagon- Hi Infidelity Best of the year, their best still. Songs were good, and the whole album had a vibe to it that was hard to resist.
2) AC/DC – Back in Black Best hard rock album still.
3) Black Sabbath- Heaven And Hell Their best as a group or solo
4) Journey- Departure Sounds a lot better than their last cd
5) Billy Joel – Glass Houses Always like Billy Joel, great singer and writer, and this album was fun too
6) Rush – permanent Waves Start of the golden age for the band. This was their best up to this date.
7) Peter Gaberial-Peter Gabriel 3 Never really cared for his solo cds before this or his Genesis stuff, but this changed my mind
8) Genesis – Duke First Genesis I liked from start to finish
9) Van Halen – Women and Children First Love the change on this album, seemed more at ease and having fun
10) Pat Benatar – Crimes of Passion First Pat Album I got and there was more to come for me.

Best Live CD
1) Whitesnake-Live in the Heat of the City Everything that Whitesnake did good showed on this album. One of my favorite live albums up to this time.

Best Hits
1) REO Speedwagon- A Decade of Rock and Roll 1970-1980 First disk covers the studio albums up to Kevin’s second return and has a orginal track from Riding the Storm out CD with Kevin on vocals before it was recorded again with their 3rd new singer in as many albums. The Second cd kiss ass with the live album, new live recordings and songs from last 2 studio cds. Great showcase to early REO

Worst follow up/over hype
1) Blondie- Autoamerican – Either my hots for Debbie Harry was wearing off or this is really a pile of dog turds.
2) The Cars- Panorama- After 2 really great albums, this came along. Bad songs with a horrible production.

Top songs
For some reason I do not remember many songs from 1979. Most of what I remember I owed on the albums. Must not have listened to the radio much that year or the only songs that I like that year was what I already had.

1) Back in Black- AC/DC
2) Heaven and Hell-Black Sabbath
3) Shook Me All Night Long-AC/DC
4) Babe
5) Neon Knights-Black Sabbath
6) Keep on Loving You-REO Speedwagon
7) Boat on the River
8) Children of the Sea-Black Sabbath
9) Spirit of Radio-Rush
10) You May Be Right-Billy Joel
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Re: 1980 A Great year in music

Postby verslibre » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:25 am

Agree on Heaven and Hell, but I've come to like Mob Rules just as much.

Another killer album from 1980 is Jeff Beck's There and Back.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:10 pm

verslibre wrote:Agree on Heaven and Hell, but I've come to like Mob Rules just as much.

Another killer album from 1980 is Jeff Beck's There and Back.

Also missing is Pink Floyd's "The Wall".
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:45 pm

Monker wrote:Also missing is Pink Floyd's "The Wall".

1979. And overrated.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:27 pm

Sorry, but Pink Floyd will never be on a best of list for me :shock:
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:27 am

Abitaman wrote:Sorry, but Pink Floyd will never be on a best of list for me :shock:

They're a really overrated band. Some Brits get really touchy when you say that. They love their Floyd. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:44 am

The only PF album I cared about, and will still listen to today, is Momentary Lapse of Reason. It is a good album, but not in my tops for the year in came out in.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:20 am

Abitaman wrote:The only PF album I cared about, and will still listen to today, is Momentary Lapse of Reason. It is a good album, but not in my tops for the year in came out in.

See, that's an underrated Pink Floyd album! Waters fans condemned it, and many people wrote it off as radio fodder," but they're just biased. Look past the three singles and you get songs that are much better, like "One Slip," and the two long ones, "Yet Another Movie" and the incredible "Sorrow."

Going back to the 1970s, I'm good with Animals. I got so sick of Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here.
Last edited by verslibre on Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:22 am

Almost forgot: Where is Blue Öyster Cult's Cultosaurus Erectus? That is essential!!
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:53 am

I love David Gilmour's guitar playing, and I love the Another Brick In The Wall song. But outside of that I'm not a Pink Floyd fan. I don't care for most of their lyrics and I don't like most of their singing.
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:17 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:I love David Gilmour's guitar playing, and I love the Another Brick In The Wall song. But outside of that I'm not a Pink Floyd fan. I don'y care for most of their lyrics and I don'y like most of their singing.

Same here, maybe a song or two every other album. When I do like a PF song, it is a cover of the original.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby FormerDJMike » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:42 pm

In 1980 I was mainly into singles - 45's. Never really had any albums, other than what my brothers had. I think one of my favorite records from the time was K-Tel's Rock 80.

I was more into whatever was on Top 40 and had these on 45:

John Lennon - Just Like Starting Over
Kool & The Gang - Celebration
Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
Billy Joel - It's Still Rock 7 Roll
Lipps Inc - Funky Town
ONJohn - Magic
Gary Numan - Cars

Tons of others but I really had no idea who the heavier rock bands were at this time. That would come a couple of years later.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby conversationpc » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:31 pm

verslibre wrote:Agree on Heaven and Hell, but I've come to like Mob Rules just as much.

Same here. Everyone raves about "Heaven and Hell" but "Mob Rules" is just as good, sometimes better depending on my mood. The title track rocks about as much as anything they've ever done, in my opinion.
My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara