Mecca

A holy shrine for the killer AOR band.

Moderator: Andrew

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:33 am

IngoK wrote:What happened with Bobby Kimball? Wasn't he named a couple of years ago to do some vocals on the Album? Same with Fergie. I remember about a Information somewhere that he probably will do one more song (but I'm not sure if you ever confirmed that JV).

I took the advisement of those in my inner circle and did it all on my own as these songs are so personal....and am happy I did....Bobby will ALWAYS be a giant to me....I really feel I would have done Bobby a disservice by having him sing some of them as these were my words not his....He has his solo album AND his Jamison/Kimball album coming out.....so he is doing great....and as far as Fergie I wrote a song that is on his new solo album out in October...so all good....

I really wanted a "band" sound on this one....and it worked!!

Thanks for asking!

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby MarcelJordan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:21 pm

Joe Vana wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
ptgraphics wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
ptgraphics wrote:Very much looking forward to hearing the new Mecca CD. Loved the 1st one.

Hope the mastering is not brick-walled and that the dynamics are there where they should be.

Pat

I MADE sure of it! I HATE the way things are CRUSHED these days...but Hell, it's ok for them as most don't even have a real drummer and its all programmed crap....

Real players make the difference...

LOTS of Dynamics...Andrew has the masterd versions of the tunes...ask him :-)

Thanks Pat!!

JV

Great to hear JV. Too much good music on CD's that have been released recently have bad (loud & compressed) mastering, IMO. Can't wait to hear this.

Maybe I missed it, but have you stated you played on this and who contributed to the song writing?

Pat

Joe Vana - Lead & Background Vox
Tony Levin - Bass & Chapman Stick
Pat Mastelotto - Drums
Tommy Denander - Guitar, Keys
Christian Wolff - Guitar
Eric Ragno - Piano, Keys, Synths
Joey Vana - Guitar, Background Vox
Mark Alano - Guitar
Wally Hustin - Bass
Rick Vitek - Drums
Brian Moritz - Keys

9 songs written by: Vana/Denander
3 songs written by: Vana/Wolff

Joey Vana. Is that your son?

Yes it is....

I did NOT want him on this...not a fan of nepatism or guys throwing their kids on stuff to promote them...

I pretty much had no choice as the parts he played on guitar were great and fit the album very well, he asked for a chance and I begrudgingly gave him a shot...and he played on about 6 or 7 tunes!!! He did a lot of the rhythm parts under Tommy or Christian...and did the outro solo on the title track Undeniable, his time is amazing so he killed on the rhythms...he also sounds a lot like me, so he did a lot of the backgrounds with me, it made a mighty blend....he also assistant engineered the album...he is great with protools and cubase...so, he is all over the album...

BUT...I was harder on him than anybody...and he stood up and learned and adapted...

He did amazingly well...

He earned his spot!!!

JV

Very impressed to know that Joey has made you proud JV.

MJ
2011 New Album by Survivor - RE-ENTRY!
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby IngoK » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:27 am

Joe Vana wrote:
IngoK wrote:What happened with Bobby Kimball? Wasn't he named a couple of years ago to do some vocals on the Album? Same with Fergie. I remember about a Information somewhere that he probably will do one more song (but I'm not sure if you ever confirmed that JV).

I took the advisement of those in my inner circle and did it all on my own as these songs are so personal....and am happy I did....Bobby will ALWAYS be a giant to me....I really feel I would have done Bobby a disservice by having him sing some of them as these were my words not his....He has his solo album AND his Jamison/Kimball album coming out.....so he is doing great....and as far as Fergie I wrote a song that is on his new solo album out in October...so all good....

I really wanted a "band" sound on this one....and it worked!!

Thanks for asking!

JV

Thanks for the answer JV. Hope to hold the new Album in my hands soon! ;-)
IngoK
LP

Postby Andrew » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:27 am

Joe Vana wrote:

I took the advisement of those in my inner circle and did it all on my own as these songs are so personal....

Good man ;)
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Joe Vana » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:43 pm

Andrew wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

I took the advisement of those in my inner circle and did it all on my own as these songs are so personal....

Good man ;)

NICE FREAKING AVATAR!!!!
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby jaxmanjoe » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:10 am

Andrew wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

Good man ;)

If that's the artwork for the album it's freakin' awesome!

Joe
Jaxmanjoe
jaxmanjoe
45 RPM

Postby axecrew » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:30 am

It is.
axecrew
LP

Postby Joe Vana » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:49 am

jaxmanjoe wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

Good man ;)

Joe

Yep!!

Done by acclaimed artist Mark Alano....He Da Man!!!
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Franky » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:44 am

For me here in Germany, waitiin' for the new album, feels like waitin for Duke Nukem to Return, well he finally did - So I still believe in the new Release ... any official (or unofficial) release dates for the US or Europe yet ?!
Franky
Ol' 78

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:55 am

Franky wrote:For me here in Germany, waitiin' for the new album, feels like waitin for Duke Nukem to Return, well he finally did - So I still believe in the new Release ... any official (or unofficial) release dates for the US or Europe yet ?!

I think we will find out tomorrow....

I am thinking early December...but I may be wrong, it may be November...

It will be nice to be able to buy it here in the states as a regular CD instead of as an import....

Thanks Franky!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:57 am

jaxmanjoe wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

Good man ;)

Joe

I will check and see if I can put up more of the artwork...I am off to hit the Air and Water Show downtown with a friend...but I will find out!!

Have a great day everybody!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:03 pm

Hey Joe, congrats on getting a Mecca forum! Glad to see it!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Joe Vana » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:40 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:Hey Joe, congrats on getting a Mecca forum! Glad to see it!

Thanks!!! I was honored when Andrew said he was giving us a forum...

Lots more info within a few days!!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:48 pm

Franky wrote:For me here in Germany, waitiin' for the new album, feels like waitin for Duke Nukem to Return, well he finally did - So I still believe in the new Release ... any official (or unofficial) release dates for the US or Europe yet ?!

Hey Franky...just did a great interview with RockIT magazine...in Germany!!
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Previous

Return to Mecca