Mecca

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Mecca

Postby axecrew » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:30 am

Sorry if this belongs in a different forum but figured the people who will care most are on here.

Got a chance to go to the studio last night and hear the un-mastered version of the new Mecca album with Joe. Gotta say that the people on here who are waiting for it are in for a real treat. The songs are very melodic, but yet in some cases go in a direction different than expected, but keep the whole melodic vibe and sound. If that makes any sense...lol

There really are no "filler" tunes on it and the running order sounds like it was selected to take the listener along on a journey...there are uptempo tunes, ballads etc, kinda something for everyone per say. Joe has done a GREAT job on this in the face of some unexpected odds. But what album doesn't have those now days right?
In addition was nice to sit down with joe and talk about a variety of topics.....like who's older....lol....that would be me, much to his surprise I might add. What's going on in the record business in general...Of course survivor was talked about and I can say that the members past and present are doing exactly what THEY want.

And yes we talked about the unreleased tunes that joe wrote with frankie. In a nutshell, they will see the light of day one way or the other. Be it joe recording them or survivor. Joe's preference is survivor since that's who they were written for. At some point we(joe and I) are going to get together so I can hear the songs they wrote. If they sound anything like I heard last night, then please get them out asap.
axecrew
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:16 am

Joe e-mailed me 5 of the songs from the Mecca 2 sessions. It's great stuff! Very melodic, great writing, Joe sounds great!

And I also look forward to eventually hearing the songs that Joe wrote with Frankie.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Re: Mecca

Postby Joe Vana » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:18 am

axecrew wrote:Sorry if this belongs in a different forum but figured the people who will care most are on here.

Got a chance to go to the studio last night and hear the un-mastered version of the new Mecca album with Joe. Gotta say that the people on here who are waiting for it are in for a real treat. The songs are very melodic, but yet in some cases go in a direction different than expected, but keep the whole melodic vibe and sound. If that makes any sense...lol

There really are no "filler" tunes on it and the running order sounds like it was selected to take the listener along on a journey...there are uptempo tunes, ballads etc, kinda something for everyone per say. Joe has done a GREAT job on this in the face of some unexpected odds. But what album doesn't have those now days right?
In addition was nice to sit down with joe and talk about a variety of topics.....like who's older....lol....that would be me, much to his surprise I might add. What's going on in the record business in general...Of course survivor was talked about and I can say that the members past and present are doing exactly what THEY want.

And yes we talked about the unreleased tunes that joe wrote with frankie. In a nutshell, they will see the light of day one way or the other. Be it joe recording them or survivor. Joe's preference is survivor since that's who they were written for. At some point we(joe and I) are going to get together so I can hear the songs they wrote. If they sound anything like I heard last night, then please get them out asap.

As long as FS and Survivor are planning on using them they are theirs!!! I hope that plan comes to light.....Thanks for coming out Axe....Tito stopped out a few weeks back....we live VERY close to each other....

The album will be a bit darker than Mecca I.....a thinker......but not a stinker!!! hahahaha

Have a good one......JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Re: Mecca

Postby MarcelJordan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Joe Vana wrote:
axecrew wrote:Sorry if this belongs in a different forum but figured the people who will care most are on here.

As long as FS and Survivor are planning on using them they are theirs!!! I hope that plan comes to light.....Thanks for coming out Axe....Tito stopped out a few weeks back....we live VERY close to each other....

The album will be a bit darker than Mecca I.....a thinker......but not a stinker!!! hahahaha

Have a good one......JV[/quote

What we need is more Muse and Less Ick!

Mecca = MUSE 8)

MJ
2011 New Album by Survivor - RE-ENTRY!
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby jaxmanjoe » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm super excited about the next Mecca project. I kinda thought Mecca was going to be a stop over until I got more Survivor. Much to my surprise, their first album turned out to be one of my favorites that really stood on it's own. So much of the Melodic scene is just filler for me until the next Survivor or Journey or REO but Mecca really stood out.

Bring it on, Joe!

From the other Joe
Jaxmanjoe
jaxmanjoe
45 RPM

Postby Joe Vana » Tue May 03, 2011 12:29 am

jaxmanjoe wrote:I'm super excited about the next Mecca project. I kinda thought Mecca was going to be a stop over until I got more Survivor. Much to my surprise, their first album turned out to be one of my favorites that really stood on it's own. So much of the Melodic scene is just filler for me until the next Survivor or Journey or REO but Mecca really stood out.

Bring it on, Joe!

From the other Joe

Thank you!!

We are putting last finishing touches on this....may be a month....maybe a bit more.....but in the end this CD will be a great one.....I put eveything I had into this, and then some.....but all that have heard things so far have said it was well worth it.....

Have a GREAT week!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Mon May 16, 2011 7:21 am

jaxmanjoe wrote:I'm super excited about the next Mecca project. I kinda thought Mecca was going to be a stop over until I got more Survivor. Much to my surprise, their first album turned out to be one of my favorites that really stood on it's own. So much of the Melodic scene is just filler for me until the next Survivor or Journey or REO but Mecca really stood out.

Bring it on, Joe!

From the other Joe

We have a band facebook page, samples up there soon!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby MarcelJordan » Mon May 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Joe Vana wrote:

Bring it on, Joe!

From the other Joe

JV

Awesome! Please hurry it up Im starved.

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Mon May 23, 2011 1:59 pm

MarcelJordan wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

Bring it on, Joe!

From the other Joe

JV

MJ

I am hurrying!!!!

We master the CD on Tuesday...then off to Frontiers....

Takes a while when you use all real instruments and its not an autotuned hot mess...I am pretty sick of the cheapo lame releases with superior drummer (all samples) instead of a real drummer and singers who are auto tuned to hell...
We need to get back to the basics and let the performances stand on their own!!!
Urgggggg.......
JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby MarcelJordan » Mon May 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Joe Vana wrote:
MarcelJordan wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

Bring it on, Joe!

From the other Joe

JV

MJ

I am hurrying!!!!

Takes a while when you use all real instruments and its not an autotuned hot mess...I am pretty sick of the cheapo lame releases with superior drummer (all samples) instead of a real drummer and singers who are auto tuned to hell...
We need to get back to the basics and let the performances stand on their own!!!
Urgggggg.......
JV

Hey Joe! Im not going to rush you I just want the samples to hear to cool off this beast inside dying for some great ole Rock and Roll. I know you are doing your best. Looking forward to the masterpiece!

All the best my friend! :D
MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby jaxmanjoe » Wed May 25, 2011 6:06 am

Joe Vana wrote:
I am hurrying!!!!

Urgggggg.......
JV

You are right on about real instruments and I'm glad you are taking the time to use them. That's what makes the rock sound so good. No manufactured beats and voices...just talent, little imperfections and all. If you ain't got a drummer, you ain't got rock music!

Joe
Jaxmanjoe
jaxmanjoe
45 RPM

Postby Joe Vana » Thu May 26, 2011 4:38 am

jaxmanjoe wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
I am hurrying!!!!

Urgggggg.......
JV

You are right on about real instruments and I'm glad you are taking the time to use them. That's what makes the rock sound so good. No manufactured beats and voices...just talent, little imperfections and all. If you ain't got a drummer, you ain't got rock music!

Joe

I hope I am coming off the right way....

Samples on a snare or kick drum...cool...samples on certain parts of the drums...cool....to not even bother to have a drummer play and program all the drums and cymbles in a bprogram such as Superior Drummer is not cool to me...I have heard even a new album that is being profiled on here recently with programmed drums...I just feel if you want to do a real quality album then do it!!! Too many crutches...auto tune for vocals, elastic audio to put out of time bass in time...beat detective to put out of time drums in time and many other "tricks"....it pains me when I think of toto and bands like that, they stood wayyyyy above the crowd because those mofo's could flat out play...and all these tricks bring subpar bands ALMOST up to other bands levels when the have no business being put up there when you see them fumble live, or better yet sing or play to tape!!!

I am ok with using things to tweak a great performance, but to use them to CREATE a performance is jive!!!

Just my humble opinion.....

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby jaxmanjoe » Sat May 28, 2011 1:29 am

Joe Vana wrote:
jaxmanjoe wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
I am hurrying!!!!

Urgggggg.......
JV

Joe

Samples on a snare or kick drum...cool...samples on certain parts of the drums...cool....to not even bother to have a drummer play and program all the drums and cymbles in a bprogram such as Superior Drummer is not cool to me...I have heard even a new album that is being profiled on here recently with programmed drums...I just feel if you want to do a real quality album then do it!!! Too many crutches...auto tune for vocals, elastic audio to put out of time bass in time...beat detective to put out of time drums in time and many other "tricks"....it pains me when I think of toto and bands like that, they stood wayyyyy above the crowd because those mofo's could flat out play...and all these tricks bring subpar bands ALMOST up to other bands levels when the have no business being put up there when you see them fumble live, or better yet sing or play to tape!!!

I am ok with using things to tweak a great performance, but to use them to CREATE a performance is jive!!!

JV

Good points, Joe. I agree that using samples as tools to enhance a performance are fine but they should never be the star of the show - they can't be the star of the show. On that note, will Mecca be playing any gigs???

Joe
Jaxmanjoe
jaxmanjoe
45 RPM

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:13 pm

jaxmanjoe wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
jaxmanjoe wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
I am hurrying!!!!

Urgggggg.......
JV

Joe

JV

Good points, Joe. I agree that using samples as tools to enhance a performance are fine but they should never be the star of the show - they can't be the star of the show. On that note, will Mecca be playing any gigs???

Joe

For the first time in 6 and a half years Mecca is not being worked on, not in my hands....I have sent all the files to Dennis Ward to be mastered, and he will send the final CD to Frontiers in a few days...I am reading through the final Artwork and that goes there Wednesday....

Jesus....I cannot believe it....it is finally done!

Ended up with an amazing album if I do not say so myself hahahah.....it was worth everything!!!!

Just as long as Andrew does not give it a 20/100 I will be happy!!! hahahahaha.....

Thanks to all on here that reviewed and listened to tunes along the way....I used all the input....and Andrew was a huge help in molding the track listing....so if ya don't like it yell at him!!! hahahah....

I guess this was a true Survivor board album!!!

THANK YOU!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:35 pm

Joe Vana wrote:
jaxmanjoe wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
jaxmanjoe wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
I am hurrying!!!!

Urgggggg.......
JV

Joe

JV

Joe

For the first time in 6 and a half years Mecca is not being worked on, not in my hands....I have sent all the files to Dennis Ward to be mastered, and he will send the final CD to Frontiers in a few days...I am reading through the final Artwork and that goes there Wednesday....

Jesus....I cannot believe it....it is finally done!

Ended up with an amazing album if I do not say so myself hahahah.....it was worth everything!!!!

Just as long as Andrew does not give it a 20/100 I will be happy!!! hahahahaha.....

Thanks to all on here that reviewed and listened to tunes along the way....I used all the input....and Andrew was a huge help in molding the track listing....so if ya don't like it yell at him!!! hahahah....

I guess this was a true Survivor board album!!!

THANK YOU!!!

JV

That's great news! Congratulations! I'm looking forward to it!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:45 pm

No lower than 25 I promise.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Andrew wrote:No lower than 25 I promise.

Yikes...hahahah!
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby jaxmanjoe » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Best news I've heard all year! I am psyched!

The first Mecca album is still in heavy rotation on my iPhone to this day. I'm looking forward to doubling the Mecca playlist :)

Joe
Jaxmanjoe
jaxmanjoe
45 RPM

Postby DavidWT » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:11 am

I've never heard anything by Mecca. Based on what I'm reading here, though, I may have to give them a listen.
DavidWT
LP

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:32 am

jaxmanjoe wrote:Best news I've heard all year! I am psyched!

The first Mecca album is still in heavy rotation on my iPhone to this day. I'm looking forward to doubling the Mecca playlist :)

Joe

Thanks Joe...

It was a VERY Cathartic process for me....time to follow my own advice in the album!!!!!!

Have a GREAT Day!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Tito » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:47 am

I wouldn't worry about a 20. I would worry about a 100. :lol:
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Joe Vana » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:45 am

Tito wrote:I wouldn't worry about a 20. I would worry about a 100. :lol:

Yea...Ok...hahah....I am listening to the masters now as I type....wow....I cannot believe my ears!!

I am just glad I set out to do what I wanted to and it is done, and BETTER than I ever dreamed!!

Het Tito...btw..call me....

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby ptgraphics » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:07 am

Very much looking forward to hearing the new Mecca CD. Loved the 1st one.

Hope the mastering is not brick-walled and that the dynamics are there where they should be.

Pat
ptgraphics
Ol' 78

Postby Joe Vana » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:05 pm

ptgraphics wrote:Very much looking forward to hearing the new Mecca CD. Loved the 1st one.

Hope the mastering is not brick-walled and that the dynamics are there where they should be.

Pat

I MADE sure of it! I HATE the way things are CRUSHED these days...but Hell, it's ok for them as most don't even have a real drummer and its all programmed crap....

Real players make the difference...

LOTS of Dynamics...Andrew has the masterd versions of the tunes...ask him :-)

Thanks Pat!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:51 am

THE ALBUM SOUNDS MASSIVE!!

Tons of breathing space...
Andrew
Administrator

Postby ptgraphics » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Joe Vana wrote:
ptgraphics wrote:Very much looking forward to hearing the new Mecca CD. Loved the 1st one.

Pat

I MADE sure of it! I HATE the way things are CRUSHED these days...but Hell, it's ok for them as most don't even have a real drummer and its all programmed crap....

Thanks Pat!!

JV

Great to hear JV. Too much good music on CD's that have been released recently have bad (loud & compressed) mastering, IMO. Can't wait to hear this.

Maybe I missed it, but have you stated you played on this and who contributed to the song writing?

Pat
ptgraphics
Ol' 78

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:40 pm

ptgraphics wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

Pat

Thanks Pat!!

JV

Great to hear JV. Too much good music on CD's that have been released recently have bad (loud & compressed) mastering, IMO. Can't wait to hear this.

Maybe I missed it, but have you stated you played on this and who contributed to the song writing?

Pat

Joe Vana - Lead & Background Vox
Tony Levin - Bass & Chapman Stick
Pat Mastelotto - Drums
Tommy Denander - Guitar, Keys
Christian Wolff - Guitar
Eric Ragno - Piano, Keys, Synths
Joey Vana - Guitar, Background Vox
Mark Alano - Guitar
Wally Hustin - Bass
Rick Vitek - Drums
Brian Moritz - Keys

9 songs written by: Vana/Denander
3 songs written by: Vana/Wolff
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:50 pm

Joe Vana wrote:
ptgraphics wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

Pat

Thanks Pat!!

JV

Pat

Pat Mastelotto - Drums
Christian Wolff - Guitar
Mark Alano - Guitar
Wally Hustin - Bass
Rick Vitek - Drums
Brian Moritz - Keys

Joey Vana. Is that your son?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
ptgraphics wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

Pat

Thanks Pat!!

JV

Pat

Pat Mastelotto - Drums
Christian Wolff - Guitar
Mark Alano - Guitar
Wally Hustin - Bass
Rick Vitek - Drums
Brian Moritz - Keys

Joey Vana. Is that your son?

Yes it is....

I did NOT want him on this...not a fan of nepatism or guys throwing their kids on stuff to promote them...

I pretty much had no choice as the parts he played on guitar were great and fit the album very well, he asked for a chance and I begrudgingly gave him a shot...and he played on about 6 or 7 tunes!!! He did a lot of the rhythm parts under Tommy or Christian...and did the outro solo on the title track Undeniable, his time is amazing so he killed on the rhythms...he also sounds a lot like me, so he did a lot of the backgrounds with me, it made a mighty blend....he also assistant engineered the album...he is great with protools and cubase...so, he is all over the album...

BUT...I was harder on him than anybody...and he stood up and learned and adapted...

He did amazingly well...

He earned his spot!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby IngoK » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:57 am

What happened with Bobby Kimball? Wasn't he named a couple of years ago to do some vocals on the Album? Same with Fergie. I remember about a Information somewhere that he probably will do one more song (but I'm not sure if you ever confirmed that JV).
IngoK
LP

Next

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)