Cover Bands....

A holy shrine for the killer AOR band.

Moderator: Andrew

Cover Bands....

Postby Joe Vana » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:57 pm

What is the deal?

Chicago is just infested with them...

These bands dance around and act like they wrote and performed the material they are playing...prima donnas without any pedigree...

I have literally heard a singer telling some one that he is 10 times the singer who originally did the material... He was referring to Lou Gramm....

NO one is 10 times the singer of Lou Gramm in his prime...and this guy was like a sub average karaoke singer...

Am I missing something????

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby lordreo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:12 pm

I think there are two types of coverbands.

1. The band is trying to pay tribute to a band and respects them (this type I like) They want to entertain the audience which is okay.

2. The coverband sucks and is too damn arrogant to even see it. They don't care about the material and butcher it.

I'd like to have some coverbands over here because the original bands almost never play here (except for Gotthard). That way I would be able to get at least a glimpse of what it is like, to see a concert of Toto for example.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Mecca is playing in Switzerland anytime soon. (I think I'm gonna start a Mecca coverband :lol: )
lordreo
Ol' 78

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:31 am

lordreo wrote:I think there are two types of coverbands.

1. The band is trying to pay tribute to a band and respects them (this type I like) They want to entertain the audience which is okay.

2. The coverband sucks and is too damn arrogant to even see it. They don't care about the material and butcher it.

I'd like to have some coverbands over here because the original bands almost never play here (except for Gotthard). That way I would be able to get at least a glimpse of what it is like, to see a concert of Toto for example.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Mecca is playing in Switzerland anytime soon. (I think I'm gonna start a Mecca coverband :lol: )

Great response...

I am talking about group 2....these guys don't even bother to learn the solos or the main parts...and they think they smoke...and the girlfriends think they are dating guys from Bon Jovi....maybe my problem with these types of bands is the attitude...I am such a laid back guy and have NO ego...I just can't stomach guys with out of control and MISPLACED Ego's.....there is another thread!!! ;-)

The "tribute" bands I like the idea...I would do a Survivor Tribute band, play it note for note from the album...and do COMPLETE albums with the songs in order...

If you are gonna do a Mecca cover band, and you are gonna sing, you are going to start to have to eat a lot of pizza!!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby lordreo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:52 am

Joe Vana wrote:The "tribute" bands I like the idea...I would do a Survivor Tribute band, play it note for note from the album...and do COMPLETE albums with the songs in order...

That's what I'd like to see! I'd fly to America just to see that (and the original :) )

Joe Vana wrote:If you are gonna do a Mecca cover band, and you are gonna sing, you are going to start to have to eat a lot of pizza!!!!

On it, any other tips? :lol:
I'd definitely sing, since I do not have any other talents :wink: . However, I'm gonna have to wait until I can get my hands on the lyrics...

Not that I could ever do that, but regarding your first post, would you be okay with it, if someone started a Mecca "tribute" band like your Survivor idea?
lordreo
Ol' 78

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:33 am

lordreo wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:The "tribute" bands I like the idea...I would do a Survivor Tribute band, play it note for note from the album...and do COMPLETE albums with the songs in order...

That's what I'd like to see! I'd fly to America just to see that (and the original :) )

Joe Vana wrote:If you are gonna do a Mecca cover band, and you are gonna sing, you are going to start to have to eat a lot of pizza!!!!

On it, any other tips? :lol:
I'd definitely sing, since I do not have any other talents :wink: . However, I'm gonna have to wait until I can get my hands on the lyrics...

Not that I could ever do that, but regarding your first post, would you be okay with it, if someone started a Mecca "tribute" band like your Survivor idea?

I would be cool with it...but it would kill me to see a band IF they butchered the material...but, would still be honored they dug it enough to cover it!!!!

And...I will post the lyrics on the new site...www.meccatheband.com COMING SOON!!!

JV
Last edited by Joe Vana on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby lordreo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:36 am

Joe Vana wrote:And...I will post the lyrics on the new site...www.meccatheband.com COMING SOON!!!

JV

Looking forward to it!!
lordreo
Ol' 78

Postby Tito » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:07 am

This is funny as I just saw a cover band last night - HI Infidelity. They're pretty good. There's only a handful of tribute bands I see although not that much anymore. Never really talked to them, so I don't know their attitudes. None of them are better than the originals - yesterday or today. All the ones I see are local. So, they probably have their heads on straight for the most part. I think the ones the tour nationally may have the potential to get bigger heads and think they are better than they are. Although, I just saw Atomic Punks recently and they entertained me. They didn't seem to be egotistical bastards, they just seem to pay tribute to old VH.
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:30 pm

Tito wrote:This is funny as I just saw a cover band last night - HI Infidelity. They're pretty good. There's only a handful of tribute bands I see although not that much anymore. Never really talked to them, so I don't know their attitudes. None of them are better than the originals - yesterday or today. All the ones I see are local. So, they probably have their heads on straight for the most part. I think the ones the tour nationally may have the potential to get bigger heads and think they are better than they are. Although, I just saw Atomic Punks recently and they entertained me. They didn't seem to be egotistical bastards, they just seem to pay tribute to old VH.

Hey Tito....

The bands I am talking about ARE local to you and I....the singers are really funny as far as ego goes...I am no god, but when one of them was talking to me last year at a fest and was telling me stuff about JP NOT knowing that I know him quite well hahahahaha....but, I digress...I am just saying, sometimes the ego of these guys is really something else...

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:24 pm

I call all cover bands "Old Whiskey" no matter who they actually are, for some reason I think it is the perfect name for a band full of losers. "Rock on Ol' Whiskey"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj7pDNDuoJ0
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Return to Mecca