Rock Stars or Celeb's you have met who dissapointed you...

A holy shrine for the killer AOR band.

Moderator: Andrew

Rock Stars or Celeb's you have met who dissapointed you...

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:36 am

This could get interesting!!!!

I will include mine as well....

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Rock Stars or Celeb's you have met who dissapointed you.

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:48 am

Joe Vana wrote:This could get interesting!!!!

I will include mine as well....

JV


Mine was Journey's Neal Schon....

I do realize everybody has a bad day...but...

I was at the 1999 NAMM show in LA....I went with JP...we flew separately as I was coming home earlier than him...he was playing in the Trace Elliot booth....and I ran into Joe Lynn Turner and told him I was with JP and he was giddy...and made me bring him to JP immediately...I think that rekindled their working relationship and it increased from there...

Anyway....

I was in the Washburn booth as I did some Marketing for them...Neal walks in...I was sitting with Nuno and let Neal just wander around...no one was really talking to him...so, I walked up to him and tried to talk to him for a second...told him I was a big fan and he looked square in my face...I mean looked up and said "Yea, whatever"....and walked away...I remember telling JP, we got a chuckle...so, about an hour later I was hanging with Luke in the Ernie Ball booth and Neal walks in...he walks to Luke and is all smiles now...Luke introduces me as an old friend to Neal and suddenly he is all nice...

A peer he will be nice, a "fan", I can go screw off....

Pissed me off....

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby G.I.Jim » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:27 am

I worked on a security detail for Brian Mcknight a couple of years ago, and was a fan of several of his songs. I was excited to get to meet him, and while he was pretty nice to me, he was the biggest asshole to his fans. He acted pretty much how you just described Neal. You could tell he didn't want to be at the signing, and he treated his fans like absolute dog shit. Just goes to show that the fame can really get to some peoples heads. I was pretty disgusted by it. :?
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3
 
Posts: 10101
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: Your Momma's house

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:28 am

G.I.Jim wrote:I worked on a security detail for Brian Mcknight a couple of years ago, and was a fan of several of his songs. I was excited to get to meet him, and while he was pretty nice to me, he was the biggest asshole to his fans. He acted pretty much how you just described Neal. You could tell he didn't want to be at the signing, and he treated his fans like absolute dog shit. Just goes to show that the fame can really get to some peoples heads. I was pretty disgusted by it. :?


If you are going to be a "live" artist it comes with the territory...you HAVE to interact with the fans...a studio only band/artist does not...but these guys that take your money then treat ya like dirt is pretty week...

Pretty "Cold Hearted"...nice pun huh Jim...

Best I can do on short notice!!! Hahahah

I literally have not bought a Journey album since!!!!

And, I am a huge fan!!!

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Rock Stars or Celeb's you have met who dissapointed you.

Postby Tito » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:30 am

Joe Vana wrote:I was in the Washburn booth as I did some Marketing for them...Neal walks in...I was sitting with Nuno and let Neal just wander around...no one was really talking to him...so, I walked up to him and tried to talk to him for a second...told him I was a big fan and he looked square in my face...I mean looked up and said "Yea, whatever"....and walked away...I remember telling JP, we got a chuckle...so, about an hour later I was hanging with Luke in the Ernie Ball booth and Neal walks in...he walks to Luke and is all smiles now...Luke introduces me as an old friend to Neal and suddenly he is all nice...

A peer he will be nice, a "fan", I can go screw off....

Pissed me off....

JV


Assuming you're talking about Nuno Bettancourt (sp.), I find this funny. Because, I always thought/heard he wasn't always the nicest to be around. I'll never forget during the VH-1 show, Bands Reunited, they tried reuniting Extreme and when they were talking to Cherone and they asked about finding Nuno. Cherone warned them about Nuno, saying he takes his music seriously and be careful bombarding him.

Anyway, do you think Neal was being a prick because he thought you were just a fan or because you weren't paying him any attention and all the attention to Nuno...ego hurt?
User avatar
Tito
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:47 am
Location: Chicago, Il

Postby Tito » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:55 am

I got to say, I've been pretty fortunate in my encounters although I haven't had that many really.

My back to back encounters with Journey in 1998 went well. Deen and Augeri were super nice and Ross was too. Neal and Jon were fine too. The first meeting was at the Hooters in Milwaukee after their gig at the Riverside Theatre. Talking to Deen led to the second meeting a few days later at Arie Crowne as Deen left me backstage passes to the gig. The band was great both times....signing all of my autographs. :lol:

Other encounters were 38 special at Naperville Ribfest circa 94/95. Talked to Donnie, Don, and Larry. Can't recall if Jeff Carlisi or Chauncy were there too. I remember Donnie and Don being very generous and talkative. Larry as well. I didn't even plan on talking to them. I went to the show and after the performance, I went to woof down some ribs or a sandwich and while walking back to get to my car, I saw them talking to fans and signing autographs by the stage. I said what the hell and went over there. Like I said very friendly people. I talked to them again a couple of years later, I want to say in Bloomingdale and I ask Donnie why did Jeff Carlisi left. He answered and it was cool. I'm glad he didn't laugh at me because I now know I was saying, "Carlisi" incorrectly.

I met Peterik, Bickler, and Ozzello after a Survivor show in 94/95 as well. They were cool. Along with that, never had a bad experience with any of the World Stage performers the couple of times I hung around.

That's been pretty much it, so I've faired well.

Edited:

One more I forgot. A few years ago, Saint John and I went to a small club in Chicago to see Steve Smith. Another friendly guy, although he didn't seem to want to talk about Journey too much when Saint John asked him. It was one of his jazz shows after all. He tolerated a drunk Saint John too. :lol:
User avatar
Tito
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:47 am
Location: Chicago, Il

Re: Rock Stars or Celeb's you have met who dissapointed you.

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:04 pm

Tito wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:I was in the Washburn booth as I did some Marketing for them...Neal walks in...I was sitting with Nuno and let Neal just wander around...no one was really talking to him...so, I walked up to him and tried to talk to him for a second...told him I was a big fan and he looked square in my face...I mean looked up and said "Yea, whatever"....and walked away...I remember telling JP, we got a chuckle...so, about an hour later I was hanging with Luke in the Ernie Ball booth and Neal walks in...he walks to Luke and is all smiles now...Luke introduces me as an old friend to Neal and suddenly he is all nice...

A peer he will be nice, a "fan", I can go screw off....

Pissed me off....

JV


Assuming you're talking about Nuno Bettancourt (sp.), I find this funny. Because, I always thought/heard he wasn't always the nicest to be around. I'll never forget during the VH-1 show, Bands Reunited, they tried reuniting Extreme and when they were talking to Cherone and they asked about finding Nuno. Cherone warned them about Nuno, saying he takes his music seriously and be careful bombarding him.

Anyway, do you think Neal was being a prick because he thought you were just a fan or because you weren't paying him any attention and all the attention to Nuno...ego hurt?


Nope...he was just not being nice at the moment!!! Maybe Neal is a nice guy...but he wasn't to me!!!!

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Tito wrote:I got to say, I've been pretty fortunate in my encounters although I haven't had that many really.

My back to back encounters with Journey in 1998 went well. Deen and Augeri were super nice and Ross was too. Neal and Jon were fine too. The first meeting was at the Hooters in Milwaukee after their gig at the Riverside Theatre. Talking to Deen led to the second meeting a few days later at Arie Crowne as Deen left me backstage passes to the gig. The band was great both times....signing all of my autographs. :lol:

Other encounters were 38 special at Naperville Ribfest circa 94/95. Talked to Donnie, Don, and Larry. Can't recall if Jeff Carlisi or Chauncy were there too. I remember Donnie and Don being very generous and talkative. Larry as well. I didn't even plan on talking to them. I went to the show and after the performance, I went to woof down some ribs or a sandwich and while walking back to get to my car, I saw them talking to fans and signing autographs by the stage. I said what the hell and went over there. Like I said very friendly people. I talked to them again a couple of years later, I want to say in Bloomingdale and I ask Donnie why did Jeff Carlisi left. He answered and it was cool. I'm glad he didn't laugh at me because I now know I was saying, "Carlisi" incorrectly.

I met Peterik, Bickler, and Ozzello after a Survivor show in 94/95 as well. They were cool. Along with that, never had a bad experience with any of the World Stage performers the couple of times I hung around.

That's been pretty much it, so I've faired well.

Edited:

One more I forgot. A few years ago, Saint John and I went to a small club in Chicago to see Steve Smith. Another friendly guy, although he didn't seem to want to talk about Journey too much when Saint John asked him. It was one of his jazz shows after all. He tolerated a drunk Saint John too. :lol:


Speaking of Don Barnes...in my World Stage years DB was equal to Kelly Keagy in terms of being nice guys...I spent a shit ton of time with those two guys (and I sang on Kelly's solo album) and they were always super cool dudes....DB is a great piano player by the way, and after breakfast at JP's after a WS gig DB got behind JP's Ibach piano and raffled off a bunch of great tunes he had written, it was f'n amazing.

Kelly Keagy is another...he was always so real...and genuine...he truly is one of the nicest guys in the business....

I shall also answer via another topic what happened between JP and I, many ask, and have asked...and it's time I come clean....

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby Ehwmatt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:29 pm

John McEnroe (tennis player) pretty much acted exactly like Neal did to you. Very dismissive, aloof, and the situation was exactly the same: he was TOTALLY alone, not being bombarded or anything where he would have just been getting tired of all the attention.

But to be positive in a negative threat, I haven't met too many rockers, and all my meetings have been brief but good. I've met:

Gerry Beckley and Dewey Bunnell from America - GREAT guys. They always sign for the fans after shows, and they always ask your name and a little bit about you. So, they not only take the time to willingly sign several autographs, but they also actually show a bit of genuine interest in you.

Luke - Met him very briefly after his incredible show in Lakewood, OH back in August 08 on the Ever Changing Times tour. Very nice guy, and obviously every bit the straight shooter he comes off as in interviews. I actually cut the meeting short because I was exhausted and had to drive 3 hours to Pennsylvania.

Todd Rundgren - Nice guy too. A little bit aloof, but I think that's more just Todd being Todd. Didn't get a dickhead vibe at all.

Kasim Sulton (bass player for Utopia/Todd Rundgren/Meatloaf) - INCREDIBLY friendly guy. Met him after he played an acoustic solo show at the Rock Hall. Graciously signed an album and his DVD.

Jimmy Fox (drummer for The James Gang) - Another great guy. Will talk your ear off and has seen and knows so much about music. Fascinating guy to be around. I have met him multiple times and he has become a bit of a family friend. Even got us backstage passes when The James Gang did a reunion tour a few years ago (Joe Walsh ducked out early unfortunately).

I think that's it for rock stars. I guess I've had chances to meet other rockers, but if I sensed a dickhead vibe, I just went on my way. I'm not going to sit there and kiss anyone's ass if I think I'm gonna get attitude.

That's about it for me as far as rockers I've met. At the end of the day, I take every bad (or even good) story with a grain of salt. These guys are indeed human. But, some guys are just undisputed dicks. For example, I've heard Bob Dylan does not allow anyone to talk to him back stage if they have passes on penalty of being kicked out and having your pass revoked. What a dipshit.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10845
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby Brett » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:23 pm

Pleased to say that all of my (few) experiences have also been very pleasant...Al Barrow (Magnum), Tris Imboden (Chicago) and Steve's Hogarth and Rothery (Marillion) are all amongst the nicest people I've met in ANY circumstances...and as for Luke, well he sang 'Happy Birthday' to my Mum (yes it WAS her birthday!), and prior to that I thought I could not love him any more....hahaha.
Brett
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:00 pm

Postby Ehwmatt » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:44 am

Joe Vana wrote:
Tito wrote:I got to say, I've been pretty fortunate in my encounters although I haven't had that many really.

My back to back encounters with Journey in 1998 went well. Deen and Augeri were super nice and Ross was too. Neal and Jon were fine too. The first meeting was at the Hooters in Milwaukee after their gig at the Riverside Theatre. Talking to Deen led to the second meeting a few days later at Arie Crowne as Deen left me backstage passes to the gig. The band was great both times....signing all of my autographs. :lol:

Other encounters were 38 special at Naperville Ribfest circa 94/95. Talked to Donnie, Don, and Larry. Can't recall if Jeff Carlisi or Chauncy were there too. I remember Donnie and Don being very generous and talkative. Larry as well. I didn't even plan on talking to them. I went to the show and after the performance, I went to woof down some ribs or a sandwich and while walking back to get to my car, I saw them talking to fans and signing autographs by the stage. I said what the hell and went over there. Like I said very friendly people. I talked to them again a couple of years later, I want to say in Bloomingdale and I ask Donnie why did Jeff Carlisi left. He answered and it was cool. I'm glad he didn't laugh at me because I now know I was saying, "Carlisi" incorrectly.

I met Peterik, Bickler, and Ozzello after a Survivor show in 94/95 as well. They were cool. Along with that, never had a bad experience with any of the World Stage performers the couple of times I hung around.

That's been pretty much it, so I've faired well.

Edited:

One more I forgot. A few years ago, Saint John and I went to a small club in Chicago to see Steve Smith. Another friendly guy, although he didn't seem to want to talk about Journey too much when Saint John asked him. It was one of his jazz shows after all. He tolerated a drunk Saint John too. :lol:


Speaking of Don Barnes...in my World Stage years DB was equal to Kelly Keagy in terms of being nice guys...I spent a shit ton of time with those two guys (and I sang on Kelly's solo album) and they were always super cool dudes....DB is a great piano player by the way, and after breakfast at JP's after a WS gig DB got behind JP's Ibach piano and raffled off a bunch of great tunes he had written, it was f'n amazing.

Kelly Keagy is another...he was always so real...and genuine...he truly is one of the nicest guys in the business....

I shall also answer via another topic what happened between JP and I, many ask, and have asked...and it's time I come clean....

JV


Spill it Joe.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10845
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:11 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Tito wrote:I got to say, I've been pretty fortunate in my encounters although I haven't had that many really.

My back to back encounters with Journey in 1998 went well. Deen and Augeri were super nice and Ross was too. Neal and Jon were fine too. The first meeting was at the Hooters in Milwaukee after their gig at the Riverside Theatre. Talking to Deen led to the second meeting a few days later at Arie Crowne as Deen left me backstage passes to the gig. The band was great both times....signing all of my autographs. :lol:

Other encounters were 38 special at Naperville Ribfest circa 94/95. Talked to Donnie, Don, and Larry. Can't recall if Jeff Carlisi or Chauncy were there too. I remember Donnie and Don being very generous and talkative. Larry as well. I didn't even plan on talking to them. I went to the show and after the performance, I went to woof down some ribs or a sandwich and while walking back to get to my car, I saw them talking to fans and signing autographs by the stage. I said what the hell and went over there. Like I said very friendly people. I talked to them again a couple of years later, I want to say in Bloomingdale and I ask Donnie why did Jeff Carlisi left. He answered and it was cool. I'm glad he didn't laugh at me because I now know I was saying, "Carlisi" incorrectly.

I met Peterik, Bickler, and Ozzello after a Survivor show in 94/95 as well. They were cool. Along with that, never had a bad experience with any of the World Stage performers the couple of times I hung around.

That's been pretty much it, so I've faired well.

Edited:

One more I forgot. A few years ago, Saint John and I went to a small club in Chicago to see Steve Smith. Another friendly guy, although he didn't seem to want to talk about Journey too much when Saint John asked him. It was one of his jazz shows after all. He tolerated a drunk Saint John too. :lol:


Speaking of Don Barnes...in my World Stage years DB was equal to Kelly Keagy in terms of being nice guys...I spent a shit ton of time with those two guys (and I sang on Kelly's solo album) and they were always super cool dudes....DB is a great piano player by the way, and after breakfast at JP's after a WS gig DB got behind JP's Ibach piano and raffled off a bunch of great tunes he had written, it was f'n amazing.

Kelly Keagy is another...he was always so real...and genuine...he truly is one of the nicest guys in the business....

I shall also answer via another topic what happened between JP and I, many ask, and have asked...and it's time I come clean....

JV


Spill it Joe.


I shall work on it tonight!!!!

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:46 am

I met that frontman for Mecca once. What an assclown that guy is.
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 9631
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:00 pm

Andrew wrote:I met that frontman for Mecca once. What an assclown that guy is.


And I met the owner/CEO Grand PooBah of melodicrock.com, and he looked like a freaking Wombat!!!

HA!
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Joe Vana wrote:
Andrew wrote:I met that frontman for Mecca once. What an assclown that guy is.


And I met the owner/CEO Grand PooBah of melodicrock.com, and he looked like a freaking Wombat!!!

HA!


He sure does...freak!
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 9631
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:05 pm

Andrew wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Andrew wrote:I met that frontman for Mecca once. What an assclown that guy is.


And I met the owner/CEO Grand PooBah of melodicrock.com, and he looked like a freaking Wombat!!!

HA!


He sure does...freak!


Check your email....Wombat Boy!!
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby Tito » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Andrew wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Andrew wrote:I met that frontman for Mecca once. What an assclown that guy is.


And I met the owner/CEO Grand PooBah of melodicrock.com, and he looked like a freaking Wombat!!!

HA!


He sure does...freak!


I thought Andrew looked like a d.p. who just got off the boat with his red socks at MR Fest 2.
User avatar
Tito
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:47 am
Location: Chicago, Il

Postby axecrew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:35 pm

Nah.....met 'em both.......they both looked like pricks.....lol
axecrew
LP
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:01 pm

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:39 pm

axecrew wrote:Nah.....met 'em both.......they both looked like pricks.....lol


LOL
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 9631
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:32 pm

axecrew wrote:Nah.....met 'em both.......they both looked like pricks.....lol


Nice!
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:59 am

Joe Vana wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Tito wrote:I got to say, I've been pretty fortunate in my encounters although I haven't had that many really.

My back to back encounters with Journey in 1998 went well. Deen and Augeri were super nice and Ross was too. Neal and Jon were fine too. The first meeting was at the Hooters in Milwaukee after their gig at the Riverside Theatre. Talking to Deen led to the second meeting a few days later at Arie Crowne as Deen left me backstage passes to the gig. The band was great both times....signing all of my autographs. :lol:

Other encounters were 38 special at Naperville Ribfest circa 94/95. Talked to Donnie, Don, and Larry. Can't recall if Jeff Carlisi or Chauncy were there too. I remember Donnie and Don being very generous and talkative. Larry as well. I didn't even plan on talking to them. I went to the show and after the performance, I went to woof down some ribs or a sandwich and while walking back to get to my car, I saw them talking to fans and signing autographs by the stage. I said what the hell and went over there. Like I said very friendly people. I talked to them again a couple of years later, I want to say in Bloomingdale and I ask Donnie why did Jeff Carlisi left. He answered and it was cool. I'm glad he didn't laugh at me because I now know I was saying, "Carlisi" incorrectly.

I met Peterik, Bickler, and Ozzello after a Survivor show in 94/95 as well. They were cool. Along with that, never had a bad experience with any of the World Stage performers the couple of times I hung around.

That's been pretty much it, so I've faired well.

Edited:

One more I forgot. A few years ago, Saint John and I went to a small club in Chicago to see Steve Smith. Another friendly guy, although he didn't seem to want to talk about Journey too much when Saint John asked him. It was one of his jazz shows after all. He tolerated a drunk Saint John too. :lol:


Speaking of Don Barnes...in my World Stage years DB was equal to Kelly Keagy in terms of being nice guys...I spent a shit ton of time with those two guys (and I sang on Kelly's solo album) and they were always super cool dudes....DB is a great piano player by the way, and after breakfast at JP's after a WS gig DB got behind JP's Ibach piano and raffled off a bunch of great tunes he had written, it was f'n amazing.

Kelly Keagy is another...he was always so real...and genuine...he truly is one of the nicest guys in the business....

I shall also answer via another topic what happened between JP and I, many ask, and have asked...and it's time I come clean....

JV


Spill it Joe.


I shall work on it tonight!!!!

JV


Still waiting sir!
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10845
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby Greg » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:47 am

I don't believe I have ever met any rock stars in person, but I have met a few sports figures in person. I didn't get too star struck then. I'd like to meet that Joe Vana dude. He seems pretty cool! :wink:
Greg
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am
Location: Stealth Mode

Postby axecrew » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:00 am

Glad you both liked that little thing there.....you pricks you....lol....btw greg Ive met joe....he's a prick! Not really but had to throw that in there
axecrew
LP
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:01 pm

Postby Greg » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:17 am

axecrew wrote:Glad you both liked that little thing there.....you pricks you....lol....btw greg Ive met joe....he's a prick! Not really but had to throw that in there


:lol: No, he's a tease! Tells me he's going to post some soundbytes of the new Mecca album and then hides them away! I'm going to start calling Joe Steve Perry! :lol: j/k
Greg
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am
Location: Stealth Mode

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:39 am

Greg wrote:
axecrew wrote:Glad you both liked that little thing there.....you pricks you....lol....btw greg Ive met joe....he's a prick! Not really but had to throw that in there


:lol: No, he's a tease! Tells me he's going to post some soundbytes of the new Mecca album and then hides them away! I'm going to start calling Joe Steve Perry! :lol: j/k


Frontiers was VERY clear they did NOT want me to do that!!!!!!

But....

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:40 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Tito wrote:I got to say, I've been pretty fortunate in my encounters although I haven't had that many really.

My back to back encounters with Journey in 1998 went well. Deen and Augeri were super nice and Ross was too. Neal and Jon were fine too. The first meeting was at the Hooters in Milwaukee after their gig at the Riverside Theatre. Talking to Deen led to the second meeting a few days later at Arie Crowne as Deen left me backstage passes to the gig. The band was great both times....signing all of my autographs. :lol:

Other encounters were 38 special at Naperville Ribfest circa 94/95. Talked to Donnie, Don, and Larry. Can't recall if Jeff Carlisi or Chauncy were there too. I remember Donnie and Don being very generous and talkative. Larry as well. I didn't even plan on talking to them. I went to the show and after the performance, I went to woof down some ribs or a sandwich and while walking back to get to my car, I saw them talking to fans and signing autographs by the stage. I said what the hell and went over there. Like I said very friendly people. I talked to them again a couple of years later, I want to say in Bloomingdale and I ask Donnie why did Jeff Carlisi left. He answered and it was cool. I'm glad he didn't laugh at me because I now know I was saying, "Carlisi" incorrectly.

I met Peterik, Bickler, and Ozzello after a Survivor show in 94/95 as well. They were cool. Along with that, never had a bad experience with any of the World Stage performers the couple of times I hung around.

That's been pretty much it, so I've faired well.

Edited:

One more I forgot. A few years ago, Saint John and I went to a small club in Chicago to see Steve Smith. Another friendly guy, although he didn't seem to want to talk about Journey too much when Saint John asked him. It was one of his jazz shows after all. He tolerated a drunk Saint John too. :lol:


Speaking of Don Barnes...in my World Stage years DB was equal to Kelly Keagy in terms of being nice guys...I spent a shit ton of time with those two guys (and I sang on Kelly's solo album) and they were always super cool dudes....DB is a great piano player by the way, and after breakfast at JP's after a WS gig DB got behind JP's Ibach piano and raffled off a bunch of great tunes he had written, it was f'n amazing.

Kelly Keagy is another...he was always so real...and genuine...he truly is one of the nicest guys in the business....

I shall also answer via another topic what happened between JP and I, many ask, and have asked...and it's time I come clean....

JV


Spill it Joe.


I shall work on it tonight!!!!

JV


Still waiting sir!


It is turning out to be a 2 chapter book!!! almost done!!!!
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby yulog » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 am

Almost got into a fight with Jean claude van douche, the most shocking thing to me was how small he is ,especially when he's not taking roids.If he is 5 ft 6 i would be shocked. :lol:
User avatar
yulog
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4222
Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 1:33 pm

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:00 pm

yulog wrote:Almost got into a fight with Jean claude van douche, the most shocking thing to me was how small he is ,especially when he's not taking roids.If he is 5 ft 6 i would be shocked. :lol:


I used to see him in LA when I used to go there a lot...he was a little dude...

I would squash him like a bug, put him in a bag, throw him in the trash....is that too much??? hahahahha.....

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby Greg » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Joe Vana wrote:
Greg wrote:
axecrew wrote:Glad you both liked that little thing there.....you pricks you....lol....btw greg Ive met joe....he's a prick! Not really but had to throw that in there


:lol: No, he's a tease! Tells me he's going to post some soundbytes of the new Mecca album and then hides them away! I'm going to start calling Joe Steve Perry! :lol: j/k


Frontiers was VERY clear they did NOT want me to do that!!!!!!

But....

JV


:wink: I won't tell if you want tell! :lol:
Greg
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am
Location: Stealth Mode

Postby Tito » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:42 am

Joe Vana wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
I shall also answer via another topic what happened between JP and I, many ask, and have asked...and it's time I come clean....

JV


Spill it Joe.


I shall work on it tonight!!!!

JV


Still waiting sir!


It is turning out to be a 2 chapter book!!! almost done!!!!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angi1vwUkQc :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Tito
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:47 am
Location: Chicago, Il

Next

Return to Mecca

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest