Rock Stars or Celeb's you have met who dissapointed you...

A holy shrine for the killer AOR band.

Moderator: Andrew

Postby Saint John » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:06 am

Tito wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
I shall also answer via another topic what happened between JP and I, many ask, and have asked...and it's time I come clean....

JV


Spill it Joe.


I shall work on it tonight!!!!

JV


Still waiting sir!


It is turning out to be a 2 chapter book!!! almost done!!!!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angi1vwUkQc :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Saint John
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 21737
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Uranus

Re: Rock Stars or Celeb's you have met who dissapointed you.

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:32 am

Joe Vana wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:This could get interesting!!!!

I will include mine as well....

JV


Mine was Journey's Neal Schon....

I do realize everybody has a bad day...but...

I was at the 1999 NAMM show in LA....I went with JP...we flew separately as I was coming home earlier than him...he was playing in the Trace Elliot booth....and I ran into Joe Lynn Turner and told him I was with JP and he was giddy...and made me bring him to JP immediately...I think that rekindled their working relationship and it increased from there...

Anyway....

I was in the Washburn booth as I did some Marketing for them...Neal walks in...I was sitting with Nuno and let Neal just wander around...no one was really talking to him...so, I walked up to him and tried to talk to him for a second...told him I was a big fan and he looked square in my face...I mean looked up and said "Yea, whatever"....and walked away...I remember telling JP, we got a chuckle...so, about an hour later I was hanging with Luke in the Ernie Ball booth and Neal walks in...he walks to Luke and is all smiles now...Luke introduces me as an old friend to Neal and suddenly he is all nice...

A peer he will be nice, a "fan", I can go screw off....

Pissed me off....

JV


Funny thing about that...

My good friend and former guitar teacher moved to Nashville about 7 years ago. He's both a Rock and Country guitarist. Shortly after my friend moved to Nashville he was at an event that both Neal Schon and Toby Keith were at, and he met them back stage. My friend said that Schon was great to him, but that Toby Keith totally blew him off and acted like he was better than everyone else.

I've spoken to Neal a few times myself, and he was always friendly.

The most rude that any performer ever was to me personally, would be a tie between Eddie Money and Jack Blades.
The rudest that I've seen a performer be to a friend of mine would be Leslie West to one friend of mine, and FS to another friend of mine.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3545
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:38 am

Tito wrote:I got to say, I've been pretty fortunate in my encounters although I haven't had that many really.

My back to back encounters with Journey in 1998 went well. Deen and Augeri were super nice and Ross was too. Neal and Jon were fine too. The first meeting was at the Hooters in Milwaukee after their gig at the Riverside Theatre. Talking to Deen led to the second meeting a few days later at Arie Crowne as Deen left me backstage passes to the gig. The band was great both times....signing all of my autographs. :lol:

Other encounters were 38 special at Naperville Ribfest circa 94/95. Talked to Donnie, Don, and Larry. Can't recall if Jeff Carlisi or Chauncy were there too. I remember Donnie and Don being very generous and talkative. Larry as well. I didn't even plan on talking to them. I went to the show and after the performance, I went to woof down some ribs or a sandwich and while walking back to get to my car, I saw them talking to fans and signing autographs by the stage. I said what the hell and went over there. Like I said very friendly people. I talked to them again a couple of years later, I want to say in Bloomingdale and I ask Donnie why did Jeff Carlisi left. He answered and it was cool. I'm glad he didn't laugh at me because I now know I was saying, "Carlisi" incorrectly.

I met Peterik, Bickler, and Ozzello after a Survivor show in 94/95 as well. They were cool. Along with that, never had a bad experience with any of the World Stage performers the couple of times I hung around.

That's been pretty much it, so I've faired well.

Edited:

One more I forgot. A few years ago, Saint John and I went to a small club in Chicago to see Steve Smith. Another friendly guy, although he didn't seem to want to talk about Journey too much when Saint John asked him. It was one of his jazz shows after all. He tolerated a drunk Saint John too. :lol:


Steve Smith struck up a conversation with me once at one of his "Vital Information" shows because of the Journey t-shirt that I was wearing.
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3545
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:48 am

Joe Vana wrote:
Tito wrote:I got to say, I've been pretty fortunate in my encounters although I haven't had that many really.

My back to back encounters with Journey in 1998 went well. Deen and Augeri were super nice and Ross was too. Neal and Jon were fine too. The first meeting was at the Hooters in Milwaukee after their gig at the Riverside Theatre. Talking to Deen led to the second meeting a few days later at Arie Crowne as Deen left me backstage passes to the gig. The band was great both times....signing all of my autographs. :lol:

Other encounters were 38 special at Naperville Ribfest circa 94/95. Talked to Donnie, Don, and Larry. Can't recall if Jeff Carlisi or Chauncy were there too. I remember Donnie and Don being very generous and talkative. Larry as well. I didn't even plan on talking to them. I went to the show and after the performance, I went to woof down some ribs or a sandwich and while walking back to get to my car, I saw them talking to fans and signing autographs by the stage. I said what the hell and went over there. Like I said very friendly people. I talked to them again a couple of years later, I want to say in Bloomingdale and I ask Donnie why did Jeff Carlisi left. He answered and it was cool. I'm glad he didn't laugh at me because I now know I was saying, "Carlisi" incorrectly.

I met Peterik, Bickler, and Ozzello after a Survivor show in 94/95 as well. They were cool. Along with that, never had a bad experience with any of the World Stage performers the couple of times I hung around.

That's been pretty much it, so I've faired well.

Edited:

One more I forgot. A few years ago, Saint John and I went to a small club in Chicago to see Steve Smith. Another friendly guy, although he didn't seem to want to talk about Journey too much when Saint John asked him. It was one of his jazz shows after all. He tolerated a drunk Saint John too. :lol:


Speaking of Don Barnes...in my World Stage years DB was equal to Kelly Keagy in terms of being nice guys...I spent a shit ton of time with those two guys (and I sang on Kelly's solo album) and they were always super cool dudes....DB is a great piano player by the way, and after breakfast at JP's after a WS gig DB got behind JP's Ibach piano and raffled off a bunch of great tunes he had written, it was f'n amazing.

Kelly Keagy is another...he was always so real...and genuine...he truly is one of the nicest guys in the business....

I shall also answer via another topic what happened between JP and I, many ask, and have asked...and it's time I come clean....

JV


All of the Night Ranger guys have been pretty cool to me on the occasions that I've been backstage at their shows, except Jack Blades.

Jeff Watson and Kelly Keagy have been extremely friendly in particular. Kelly's wife was really friendly at one of the Night Ranger shows that I was at back in the 90's. She was selling Night Ranger t-shirts, and she saw my Steve Perry t-shirt that I was wearing, and we had a conversation about both Journey and Night Ranger.
...................................................................................................................................................................................

JP and JJ are two of the friendliest of all.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3545
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Postby Joe Vana » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:31 am

Tito wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
I shall also answer via another topic what happened between JP and I, many ask, and have asked...and it's time I come clean....

JV


Spill it Joe.


I shall work on it tonight!!!!

JV


Still waiting sir!


It is turning out to be a 2 chapter book!!! almost done!!!!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angi1vwUkQc :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


I will I will!!!

Hahahahah

Priceless......JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby Idiosyncrasy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:18 pm

Mitch Malloy was awesome. I was a penniless student at the time, at a tiny gig in Colchester, and he offered to get me into Firefest for free if I could get up there. Sadly, I had exams but still - what a nice guy!

Danny Vaughn I've met a few times and was always chatty and approachable. I'd grabbed a CD on my way out of the house and dropped it trying to get the sleeve out for him to sign - he offered to send me another one if it was scratched.

Also bumped into Mikey J from Kick at one of those gigs. Sat and chatted to him and he waited while I dashed home to get my XL EP and Freefall. Seemed genuinely flattered that I had all of that rare stuff - even double-signed a KICK LP single!

Bob Catley was very patient with me when I showed up with a STACK of CD sleeves for him to sign! Paul Hodson was also charming. I got him to sign the John Parr album he played on (Man With a Vision) and he said to let him know if I found another copy as he didn't even have one himself.

- Danny.
Idiosyncrasy
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:27 am

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:13 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
Tito wrote:I got to say, I've been pretty fortunate in my encounters although I haven't had that many really.

My back to back encounters with Journey in 1998 went well. Deen and Augeri were super nice and Ross was too. Neal and Jon were fine too. The first meeting was at the Hooters in Milwaukee after their gig at the Riverside Theatre. Talking to Deen led to the second meeting a few days later at Arie Crowne as Deen left me backstage passes to the gig. The band was great both times....signing all of my autographs. :lol:

Other encounters were 38 special at Naperville Ribfest circa 94/95. Talked to Donnie, Don, and Larry. Can't recall if Jeff Carlisi or Chauncy were there too. I remember Donnie and Don being very generous and talkative. Larry as well. I didn't even plan on talking to them. I went to the show and after the performance, I went to woof down some ribs or a sandwich and while walking back to get to my car, I saw them talking to fans and signing autographs by the stage. I said what the hell and went over there. Like I said very friendly people. I talked to them again a couple of years later, I want to say in Bloomingdale and I ask Donnie why did Jeff Carlisi left. He answered and it was cool. I'm glad he didn't laugh at me because I now know I was saying, "Carlisi" incorrectly.

I met Peterik, Bickler, and Ozzello after a Survivor show in 94/95 as well. They were cool. Along with that, never had a bad experience with any of the World Stage performers the couple of times I hung around.

That's been pretty much it, so I've faired well.

Edited:

One more I forgot. A few years ago, Saint John and I went to a small club in Chicago to see Steve Smith. Another friendly guy, although he didn't seem to want to talk about Journey too much when Saint John asked him. It was one of his jazz shows after all. He tolerated a drunk Saint John too. :lol:


Speaking of Don Barnes...in my World Stage years DB was equal to Kelly Keagy in terms of being nice guys...I spent a shit ton of time with those two guys (and I sang on Kelly's solo album) and they were always super cool dudes....DB is a great piano player by the way, and after breakfast at JP's after a WS gig DB got behind JP's Ibach piano and raffled off a bunch of great tunes he had written, it was f'n amazing.

Kelly Keagy is another...he was always so real...and genuine...he truly is one of the nicest guys in the business....

I shall also answer via another topic what happened between JP and I, many ask, and have asked...and it's time I come clean....

JV


All of the Night Ranger guys have been pretty cool to me on the occasions that I've been backstage at their shows, except Jack Blades.

Jeff Watson and Kelly Keagy have been extremely friendly in particular. Kelly's wife was really friendly at one of the Night Ranger shows that I was at back in the 90's. She was selling Night Ranger t-shirts, and she saw my Steve Perry t-shirt that I was wearing, and we had a conversation about both Journey and Night Ranger.
...................................................................................................................................................................................

JP and JJ are two of the friendliest of all.


Kelly's wife Monique is awesome...a great lady and and even better photographer....I keep up with her stuff....great eye....I was there when they met....

ALL the Night Ranger guys are cool....Jack has alot going on, he may have been having a bad day, cut him a little slack....Kelly is one of the most GENUINE guys in the biz....
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby Eyeof » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:20 am

Let's just say back in the early 90's if you ran into David Crosby and your drunken friend told him 'aren't you that Jerry Garcia dude'...he might not be all that friendly back...especially when his wife started laughing at him!
User avatar
Eyeof
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby mrsromek » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:30 am

This is a great post....got me thinking...I've met tons of musicians from all genres over the years. Mainly via waiting after the show by the bus, backstage door, fence (at a fest) or through a M&G package. Some I have met in a spin off band, etc (Carl Palmer w/ his trio, Greg Lake-solo, Nikki & Tracii-Brides of Destruction, Chris Squire w/ The Syn on their reunion tour years ago, etc)

Hands down the biggest a-hole: Vince Neil (and this was at a $400 M&G in '05. Did it twice and both times he thought he was better than the world). I should have been an a-hole back and asked if he was going to be able to hit all the notes that night. The other three were super cool, especially Tommy. A close second might be Ric Ocasek from The Cars. Sam Llanes of the BoDeans would be up there, too.

Some of the coolest that come right to mind: Brad Gillis-NR, Dan Murphy & Dave Pirner-Soul Asylum, Vinny-Sponge, Kevin Martin-Candlebox, All of King's X, Eric & Jeff from Cinderella-when toured as Naked Beggars, Steve Hackett of Genesis, Frankie from Quiet Riot, All of Saxon (current lineup), Alter Bridge-especially Tremonti, Collective Soul-especially Will, Steven Adler, Jani Lane (RIP), Warren DeMartini-RATT, Smithereens-current lineup (and one time I chatted with Pat...told me about how he got to meet some of his idols back in the 80's...Paul Westerberg came to his mind...and Paul was a major a-hole towards him), Brian Vander Ark-Verve Pipe.
mrsromek
45 RPM
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:07 am

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:22 pm

mrsromek wrote:This is a great post....got me thinking...I've met tons of musicians from all genres over the years. Mainly via waiting after the show by the bus, backstage door, fence (at a fest) or through a M&G package. Some I have met in a spin off band, etc (Carl Palmer w/ his trio, Greg Lake-solo, Nikki & Tracii-Brides of Destruction, Chris Squire w/ The Syn on their reunion tour years ago, etc)

Hands down the biggest a-hole: Vince Neil (and this was at a $400 M&G in '05. Did it twice and both times he thought he was better than the world). I should have been an a-hole back and asked if he was going to be able to hit all the notes that night. The other three were super cool, especially Tommy. A close second might be Ric Ocasek from The Cars. Sam Llanes of the BoDeans would be up there, too.

Some of the coolest that come right to mind: Brad Gillis-NR, Dan Murphy & Dave Pirner-Soul Asylum, Vinny-Sponge, Kevin Martin-Candlebox, All of King's X, Eric & Jeff from Cinderella-when toured as Naked Beggars, Steve Hackett of Genesis, Frankie from Quiet Riot, All of Saxon (current lineup), Alter Bridge-especially Tremonti, Collective Soul-especially Will, Steven Adler, Jani Lane (RIP), Warren DeMartini-RATT, Smithereens-current lineup (and one time I chatted with Pat...told me about how he got to meet some of his idols back in the 80's...Paul Westerberg came to his mind...and Paul was a major a-hole towards him), Brian Vander Ark-Verve Pipe.


Ric Ocasek??? Really...damn.....
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby Slander » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:12 am

Joe Vana wrote:
mrsromek wrote:This is a great post....got me thinking...I've met tons of musicians from all genres over the years. Mainly via waiting after the show by the bus, backstage door, fence (at a fest) or through a M&G package. Some I have met in a spin off band, etc (Carl Palmer w/ his trio, Greg Lake-solo, Nikki & Tracii-Brides of Destruction, Chris Squire w/ The Syn on their reunion tour years ago, etc)

Hands down the biggest a-hole: Vince Neil (and this was at a $400 M&G in '05. Did it twice and both times he thought he was better than the world). I should have been an a-hole back and asked if he was going to be able to hit all the notes that night. The other three were super cool, especially Tommy. A close second might be Ric Ocasek from The Cars. Sam Llanes of the BoDeans would be up there, too.

Some of the coolest that come right to mind: Brad Gillis-NR, Dan Murphy & Dave Pirner-Soul Asylum, Vinny-Sponge, Kevin Martin-Candlebox, All of King's X, Eric & Jeff from Cinderella-when toured as Naked Beggars, Steve Hackett of Genesis, Frankie from Quiet Riot, All of Saxon (current lineup), Alter Bridge-especially Tremonti, Collective Soul-especially Will, Steven Adler, Jani Lane (RIP), Warren DeMartini-RATT, Smithereens-current lineup (and one time I chatted with Pat...told me about how he got to meet some of his idols back in the 80's...Paul Westerberg came to his mind...and Paul was a major a-hole towards him), Brian Vander Ark-Verve Pipe.


Ric Ocasek??? Really...damn.....


I've spoken with Eddie Money at length on a couple of occasions. I really enjoyed his candor and sense of humor. Any one else have good or bad experiences with the money man?
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
User avatar
Slander
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2618
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Postby Don » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:45 am

I'll split up the pricks and the nice ones.

Pricks

Jim Carrey. I was working for a management company in Century City at the time. Carrey's guy had me tell this excited 12 year old kid to wait until after shooting during Liar, Liar for any autographs, etc. Five hours later after all is done, I bring the kid over with his mom. It's about 90 degrees out and Carrey is chillin' with his Frappe when he gives his bodyguard the nod and the guy steps in front tells the kid to beat it, no fans or autographs today; unbelievable. Carrey's girlfriend showed up about five minutes later and they yapped and ate and drank for about 10 minutes before getting up and taking off. It just shocked me to no end, them leading the kid on and having him wait patiently just to blow him off for no reason. Even if he was waiting for his girlfriend, one minute couldn't have been too much to ask.

Barry Bonds. Was waiting for my dinner date outside Morton's when dude comes out to get picked up with his little daughter. Nothing is being said, so I asked how the food was tonight as I'll being going in to dine shortly. The guy looked at me without speaking for about five seconds, then turned around and took his kid down the side walk; a definite WTF moment.

The nice ones

Jennifer love Hewitt and Halle Berry. Both laid back and down to earth as you could be.
The kids from Home Improvement. They were doing a make wish appearance and were the best. Just great kids with no attitude at all.
Dennis Franz, another one that is as laid back as could be totally cool.
Boz Scaggs, Justin Hayward, John lodge, All of the girls from Celtic Woman, The guys from War, Tierra and Kenny Loggins all cool. Darryl Hall, totally cool.
A few guys who are intense but definitely nice guys non the less are Lou Diamond Phillips and Forest Whitaker. I've met a lot more and can say for the most part, the majority have been very nice but there always going to be assholes and you may be surprised which ones at that.
Don
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 24898
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:01 pm

Postby Slander » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 am

Don wrote:Barry Bonds. Was waiting for my dinner date outside Morton's when dude comes out to get picked up with his little daughter. Nothing is being said, so I asked how the food was tonight as I'll being going in to dine shortly. The guy looked at me without speaking for about five seconds, then turned around and took his kid down the side walk; a definite WTF moment.


Bonds is a tool. Also Ken Griffey JR! Wow what an ass.
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
User avatar
Slander
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2618
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:47 am

Don wrote:I'll split up the pricks and the nice ones.

Pricks

Jim Carrey. I was working for a management company in Century City at the time. Carrey's guy had me tell this excited 12 year old kid to wait until after shooting during Liar, Liar for any autographs, etc. Five hours later after all is done, I bring the kid over with his mom. It's about 90 degrees out and Carrey is chillin' with his Frappe when he gives his bodyguard the nod and the guy steps in front tells the kid to beat it, no fans or autographs today; unbelievable. Carrey's girlfriend showed up about five minutes later and they yapped and ate and drank for about 10 minutes before getting up and taking off. It just shocked me to no end, them leading the kid on and having him wait patiently just to blow him off for no reason. Even if he was waiting for his girlfriend, one minute couldn't have been too much to ask.

Barry Bonds. Was waiting for my dinner date outside Morton's when dude comes out to get picked up with his little daughter. Nothing is being said, so I asked how the food was tonight as I'll being going in to dine shortly. The guy looked at me without speaking for about five seconds, then turned around and took his kid down the side walk; a definite WTF moment.

The nice ones

Jennifer love Hewitt and Halle Berry. Both laid back and down to earth as you could be.
The kids from Home Improvement. They were doing a make wish appearance and were the best. Just great kids with no attitude at all.
Dennis Franz, another one that is as laid back as could be totally cool.
Boz Scaggs, Justin Hayward, John lodge, All of the girls from Celtic Woman, The guys from War, Tierra and Kenny Loggins all cool. Darryl Hall, totally cool.
A few guys who are intense but definitely nice guys non the less are Lou Diamond Phillips and Forest Whitaker. I've met a lot more and can say for the most part, the majority have been very nice but there always going to be assholes and you may be surprised which ones at that.


Excellent post!!!
The World was flat once....what happened??
User avatar
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Postby Tito » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:32 am

Don wrote: Halle Berry. Both laid back and down to earth as you could be.


Don, buddy ol' pal, we need to hang out more. :D
User avatar
Tito
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:47 am
Location: Chicago, Il

Postby Andrew » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:24 pm

Slander wrote:
I've spoken with Eddie Money at length on a couple of occasions. I really enjoyed his candor and sense of humor. Any one else have good or bad experiences with the money man?


Money is great...although on another planet completely!
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 9631
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Postby Eyeof » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:16 am

I'll just break down as well...

Guys I liked:

John McEnroe,
George Brett,
Kelly Ripa,
Charles Barkley,
Danny Ainge,
Adam Duritz,
Taylor Swift,
Mike Ditka
Hines Ward,
Rob Lowe

Guys not so much:

Michael Jordan,
David Crosby (but see above post, might not have been his fault),
User avatar
Eyeof
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:34 am

Eyeof wrote:I'll just break down as well...

Guys I liked:

John McEnroe,
George Brett,
Kelly Ripa,
Charles Barkley,
Danny Ainge,
Adam Duritz,
Taylor Swift,
Mike Ditka
Hines Ward,
Rob Lowe

Guys not so much:

Michael Jordan,
David Crosby (but see above post, might not have been his fault),


You had a good experience with McEnroe? He always seems like a total surly dick when I've seen/talked to him. I'm surprised about Crosby, even if you/someone you were with teased him. He seems like such a happy-go-lucky guy and so happy to be alive these days (just saw an AWESOME CSN show 9 days ago).
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10845
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby Eyeof » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:34 am

Well as i said, my friend was drunk and thought he was Jerry Garcia....

To be honest, we really wasn't that bad and his wife was laughing at him so it was more of a funny moment...

Yeah, my experience with McEnroe was very good, he was quite pleasant but it was an environment that suited that....
User avatar
Eyeof
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:35 pm

Ric O of The Cars in detail....

Postby mrsromek » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:21 am

Joe V:

Let me give you background on the Ocasek thing. A collector on an autograph site I'm on reluctantly gave me their flight info into O'Hare before their show last year (I asked him about their signing habits after the show in MN-said he didn't see them). My wife and I were going and taking I-90 into the city, we go right by O'Hare (as I am sure you Chicagoans know). So, we got off on Higgins and she dropped me off. I've met a ton of bands, but never in this realm, and honestly, I doubt I'd do it again. I had the airline name and gate and right when I walked in, I knew right away I was in the right place. Why? Dealers, hounds, whatever you want to call them with stacks of LP's guitars, pic guards, etc. Now, I don't judge. I get the autos and put the LP's back in their sleeves in the crates I store them in. OK, fine. Others try to sell them on eBay. OK, fine. Well, I am too damn old to be pushing and shoving. I'm not in my 20's anymore. So, Greg and Elliott and David start signing the minute they are spotted. Kudos to me for being the first one to David-he looked happy to sign an LP. the othes did as well. Ric walked by everyone, mumbled something about Gate 4. So, he's just standing there. I went over and asked about some songs off their new album that I hadn't seen in the setlist and I hoped to see that night at the Riv. I asked about 'It's Too Late'-he said they didn't re-learn that one. OK, no biggie. I also asked how it felt being on the road with his old bandmates (knowing they never toured much anyway) and he said it's going well. Not more than 10 minutes later, after I walked back to where I was...he started signing and it was a mobscene. The others were shoving stacks in his face and he was scribbling on them. Maybe I should have been more aggressive, but come on...I finally said, 'Mr. Ocasek, can you sign at least one of mine?' He looked at me, signed one and went back to the mass of crap being pushed in his face. I then left the mob. I walked around a bit admiring my signed Shake it Up LP (by all 4) and then my wife called from outside. As I walked out, he was out there smoking by himself...I had to walk right by him anyway, said thanks again and stuck my hand out for a shake....he looked at me, took a drag, and said nothing.
mrsromek
45 RPM
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:07 am

Postby RyanHippFTW » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:02 am

Only famous person I've met was Weird Al and he was the best.
User avatar
RyanHippFTW
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:47 am

Previous

Return to Mecca

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest