Check the frontpage....

A holy shrine for the killer AOR band.

Moderator: Andrew

Check the frontpage....

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Release date announcement AND sound clips for 4 tunes!!!

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:36 pm

November 29th seems so far off! :P

So Joe, out of all of the songs from this new album, which one stands out as your absolute favorite?
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby jaxmanjoe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:02 am

Great soundbytes! Sounds like classic Mecca and yet fresh and new. Man, I can't wait... I WANT IT NOW!!!

I am undeniably psyched!

Joe
Jaxmanjoe
jaxmanjoe
45 RPM

Postby LtVanish » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:37 am

The samples sound great Joe! I am really looking forward to this release.
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:19 am

Greg wrote:November 29th seems so far off! :P

So Joe, out of all of the songs from this new album, which one stands out as your absolute favorite?

Thanks guys!!!

And...I have two....

Undeniable - that song was written during a really rough patch...Tommy's music is absolutely stunning, and Eric took this tune to the roof....lyrically it is a super emotional tune for me....

And...

Did it for Love - I did the original vocal, not the one I used, with Frankie Sullivan and Bryan Mitchell, FS's and my late best friend....the song lyrically is who I am...who I will always be....

This album really chokes me up as I look back and think about the lyrics...I put ALL of myself into these....

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:29 am

LtVanish wrote:The samples sound great Joe! I am really looking forward to this release.

Thanks Vanish....

I do have to say I really smile when I see your avatar...that was Styx....Denny, John and Chuck....my friend Bryan I talk about in the post above even did John's autopsy when he passed...but, those three are Styx to me....not real thrilled with the direction they took (karaoke) and this current version of the band...just my opinion...of all the "Legacy" acts out there they have disappointed me the most....they need to be brave and show some sack and do a new album, but I think they fear that it will not match the DDY days and people will slag the Hell out of them...it's the chance you take...BUT, those new shirts with the old artwork and the new lineup on them...oh my!!! BAD move...

Sorry for the rant....I know this isn't the styx forum...and I respect all their talent...but I guess since DDY is a friend I get a little biased and protective of his Legacy....

Thanks!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:35 am

Joe Vana wrote:
LtVanish wrote:The samples sound great Joe! I am really looking forward to this release.

Thanks Vanish....

I do have to say I really smile when I see your avatar...that was Styx....Denny, John and Chuck....my friend Bryan I talk about in the post above even did John's autopsy when he passed...but, those three are Styx to me....not real thrilled with the direction they took (karaoke) and this current version of the band...just my opinion...of all the "Legacy" acts out there they have disappointed me the most....they need to be brave and show some sack and do a new album, but I think they fear that it will not match the DDY days and people will slag the Hell out of them...it's the chance you take...BUT, those new shirts with the old artwork and the new lineup on them...oh my!!! BAD move...

Sorry for the rant....I know this isn't the styx forum...and I respect all their talent...but I guess since DDY is a friend I get a little biased and protective of his Legacy....

Thanks!!!

JV

Agreed!! While I am not as "attached" to Styx as I am Journey, I certainly question their motives with the new shirts. Also appears that they are releasing an album of re-record songs from their catalog - minus DeYoung of course. I'm never a fan of such a move! But like you said, guess that stuff needs to be saved for the Styx forum! :P
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby IngoK » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:02 am

The soundbytes are already cool. It's a must have for me now....
IngoK
LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:07 am

Joe Vana wrote:

Thanks Vanish....

Thanks!!!

JV

I love Dennis, but Tommy is a big part of Styx too. Also, Cyclorama was a FABULOUS effort. I'm disappointed they haven't tried to do anything new. They put on a good live show, imo. I still routinely see both acts when they come to town. Journey, on the other hand, is done as far as I'm concerned. Loved Augeri, but no on board with Pineda or Eclipse.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby brandonx76 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:35 am

Hey Joe - Not sure if this was answered already...Was curious is Pat M. on the album? If so, why not list as part of the line-up? Was there a falling out?
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:17 am

brandonx76 wrote:Hey Joe - Not sure if this was answered already...Was curious is Pat M. on the album? If so, why not list as part of the line-up? Was there a falling out?

GOD NO!!!!

Pat is a GREAT F'N guy and play on 4 tunes!!! Rick Vitek plays on 8, thus the line up....

He is a good friend...and played his ass off!!!!

The line-up is the guys that played on 80 percent of the album, and will play live as well...that's all...no issues!!!

Thanks Man!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:28 am

BTW, sounds great so far Joe!
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby brandonx76 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:34 am

Joe Vana wrote:
brandonx76 wrote:Hey Joe - Not sure if this was answered already...Was curious is Pat M. on the album? If so, why not list as part of the line-up? Was there a falling out?

GOD NO!!!!

Pat is a GREAT F'N guy and play on 4 tunes!!! Rick Vitek plays on 8, thus the line up....

The line-up is the guys that played on 80 percent of the album, and will play live as well...that's all...no issues!!!

Thanks Man!!!

JV

Thanks - I thought I heard him on some of the samples. Look forward to the new release.
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:49 am

brandonx76 wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

GOD NO!!!!

Thanks Man!!!

JV

Thanks - I thought I heard him on some of the samples. Look forward to the new release.

Good ear!!!!!

Yep...you heard the man!!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Tito » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:55 am

Joe Vana wrote:Thanks Vanish....

Thanks!!!

JV

I was just watching some youtubes the other day of DDY solo band. If I wanted to go see Styx music, I would hands down go see DDY before Styx. First, DDY voice still sounds the same - incredible. Second, he now has guy that sings the Tommy Shaw songs...and sings the songs better than Tommy Shaw. Styx is damn lucky Dennis didn't do this right after the break up, because Styx probably wouldn't be around right now, DDY would be. Dennis kills Lawerence and Dennis's Shaw guy is better than Tommy Shaw TODAY. Styx probably wins in only the drummer category as Todd Sucherman is a beast.
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Tito » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:58 am

Ehwmatt wrote:I love Dennis, but Tommy is a big part of Styx too. Also, Cyclorama was a FABULOUS effort. I'm disappointed they haven't tried to do anything new. They put on a good live show, imo. I still routinely see both acts when they come to town. Journey, on the other hand, is done as far as I'm concerned. Loved Augeri, but no on board with Pineda or Eclipse.

I agree Cyclorama was a good album, I'm not sure why they didn't follow up with something else. That is a disappointment to me. All they've done is covered albums (which is fine to a point) and now re-records which is not fine IMO. I know they lost a good songwriter in Burtnik, and that may be the reason why they don't record anything new, but I would like to hear new material from them.

Also, Cyclorama got a ton of airplay from the Loop as well. Probably the last "new" album from any classic rock artist that got any significant airplay. Nowadays you're lucky if one song gets one spin at a station. Not this one. Many songs were played, dozens of times.
Last edited by Tito on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Tito » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:02 am

The samples sound great and this sounds like a great album. Can't wait for the release. 8)
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:06 pm

Tito wrote:The samples sound great and this sounds like a great album. Can't wait for the release. 8)

Cheater!!! You ALREADY heard the WHOLE album u nut!!!!

Ha!

Talk soon my man.....JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Tito » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Joe Vana wrote:
Tito wrote:The samples sound great and this sounds like a great album. Can't wait for the release. 8)

Ha!

Talk soon my man.....JV

And no bullshit folks, it is an outstanding album. You will not be disappointed.
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby jaxmanjoe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:42 pm

Joe Vana wrote:

Ha!

Talk soon my man.....JV

I call Shenanigans!!!
Jaxmanjoe
jaxmanjoe
45 RPM

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:20 pm

jaxmanjoe wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

Ha!

Talk soon my man.....JV

I call Shenanigans!!!

Nah....HA!!......Tito lives around the corner from me...he has heard the whole album for a long time!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:48 am

How in the world did Tito get so lucky to hear the entire album? :lol:
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:35 am

Joe Vana wrote:

Thanks Vanish....

Thanks!!!

JV

Glad to hear you say these things JV! I have seen the new version numerous times, and they do put on a good show, but it is nothing close to the band I once knew. I do really feel like the Legacy of the band has been tarnished as well with the constant touring and barely original members. The 1996 and 1997 tours were something else, even though it still wasn't the same with John not being there. :(

What did you think of DDY's 100 Years from now album?
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Return to Mecca