Songs or albums you didn't like years ago, but like now

A holy shrine for the killer AOR band.

Moderator: Andrew

Songs or albums you didn't like years ago, but like now

Postby Tito » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:20 am

There have been many songs over the years I couldn't stand but somehow over many years, sometimes 20 years, I've come to really like. I'm kind of glad too, because there many songs I used to love, but for variety reasons (mostly being overplayed) I don't care for as much. There have been some albums over the years I have bought but didn't care for at all, which was disappointing because it was bands I liked and had a catalog but they just had a dud.

The album that comes to mind that fits this criteria, and the reason for this thread, is Bon Jovi's These Days from 1995. I remember when I bought that, I was like what they hell is this. They had 1, maybe 2 good songs on the whole thing. I was pissed, we were at the height of alternative/grunge and I thought here we go and they came out with this shit. I hated these songs live and everything. I really thought Bon Jovi was over and to an extent it was for awhile after this as they went away for several years. The album did not do well relatively speaking. I totally rejected it and didn't listen to it for years. Well, a few month ago, I decided to play it for some reason and since then have played it at least 10 times. The album is actually pretty good. It's still different, especially compared to what they had done up until that point, and there are still some bad songs on there. But, all in all, this is a good album. The problem was, they changed too much (I won't say too soon because it was 3 years after their last album). It was too much of departure from their previous stuff and did have some 90's feel to it. If they were to release that album now, I think it would be more accepted by their fan base than 16 years ago. They have recorded other material that is comparable to it in a way and they and their fans have changed. I guess in hindsight, it was good for them to release that album and take some lumps at the time because it did allow them expand down the road. Bottom line, I am a fan of this album now. I guess I was too close-minded at the time...but grunge still sucks. Don't get me wrong, even at it's low point, These Days was way better than DL's Slang.

Now, lets open this up to the class and discuss. What was a song, album, or even band, you didn't care for back in the day, but like now?
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Joe Vana » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Hmmmmm.....

I would have to say anything Styx....

I was never a big fan of theirs as I really was not a prog guy...and they leaned it that direction sometimes....plus, Lady?....anyway...now I love their material...even Lady....not a fan of the "new" Styx cover band that tours, but...the old albums are killer....Dennis was the most underrated keyboard player in music history...and Tommy's backgrounds are something of legend...his lead vocals are a bit thin for my tastes, but he is a monster...

I have a hard time looking at them without DDY....not because we are friends, but because it just doesn't sit right...Arnel-Journey GREAT fit....Foreigner-Kelly Hanson GREAT fit....Styx-Gowan Bad fit IMHO....

But as far as the old material, I have over the past 2 or 3 years really become a big fan!!!

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby lordreo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Joe Vana wrote:Hmmmmm.....

I would have to say anything Styx....

I was never a big fan of theirs as I really was not a prog guy...and they leaned it that direction sometimes....plus, Lady?....anyway...now I love their material...even Lady....not a fan of the "new" Styx cover band that tours, but...the old albums are killer....Dennis was the most underrated keyboard player in music history...and Tommy's backgrounds are something of legend...his lead vocals are a bit thin for my tastes, but he is a monster...

I have a hard time looking at them without DDY....not because we are friends, but because it just doesn't sit right...Arnel-Journey GREAT fit....Foreigner-Kelly Hanson GREAT fit....Styx-Gowan Bad fit IMHO....

But as far as the old material, I have over the past 2 or 3 years really become a big fan!!!

JV

I always liked the new styx. But I guess this is because I've never seen the original lineup since I'm quite young. I think both lineups that perform at the moment should do what they want. None of us have to go see them or buy anything, if we don't want to.

A song I never really liked until recently is velocitized. Someone posted something about this song on this forum, so I listened to it again and for some reason I suddenly liked it...

I hated Toto when I started to listen to rock about 8 years ago. Now I think there is no better band than Toto. Those guyse are freaking awesome!! (sorry Joe ;) )
lordreo
Ol' 78

Postby Saint John » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:06 am

I used to really like Foolish Heart and Oh Sherrie, but I now couldn't be paid to listen to them! Especially Foolish Heart. That is a dog shit, whiny, putrid song. Just total garbage musically and vocally. Conversely, Captured By The Moment and Strung Out have ascended to the point of something I'd have liked to see on Journey's GH II. Just two really solid songs that go somewhere musically and have emotional resonance and believability. Especially Strung Out. What a killer tune.
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby gdaeb » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:47 am

I totally agree re DDY's vocal & keyboard chops, (eg: Queen of Spades) You can never emulate anothers' style so it's your own so for me seeing STYX w/Gowan was a one & done..Their whole stage act seems to be a bit grandiose & self back-slapping..

It's not exactly Melodic Rock but I've been hooked on the British Invasion acts lately.
Listen to an act such as the Zombies & it's nothing but textbook harmonies & great playing.

You'll also hear a thousand songs that you heard from the 80's that were lifted either intentionally or subconciously.
(eg: I LOVE YOU, Zombies & LOVE SONG, The Cure)
gdaeb
Radio Waves

Postby Don » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:12 am

I used to hate Trial By Fire but now have come to enjoy it. A headphone record for me as there's a lot of of small details that aren't easy to pick up during casual listening. I just never had the time for it initially.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Ehwmatt » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:44 am

I can't think of too many albums where this has happened. Usually, if I absolutely hate something the first time around, I don't come around to it. Songs, that may be a different story. I'd have to think about that one.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Brett » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:11 pm

A large number of my favourite albums didn't make much of an impression the first, second and sometimes third time around, but I can't think of an album I've actually disliked that I've come around to in the end.

Songs on the other hand...well, a couple of Toto examples for ya: 'Lea' and 'Never Enough' were both 'must-skips' for me at one time, and for the life of me I can not think why that was!
Brett
Ol' 78

Postby kgdjpubs » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:43 pm

I always loved These Days (probably my favorite Bon Jovi album), but it was certainly a departure.

The big album for me would be Magnum's Goodnight LA. Magnum always had a very unique sound that was something of a cross between hard rock, pop, pomp and a bit of progressive rock. Goodnight LA was recorded with the express notion of breaking them into the US market, and they were forced to use outside co-writers. The end result was an album that took away most of Magnum's core sound and made them sound like a second rate Bon Jovi. It did a pretty good job of killing the band's momentum as the UK fanbase rejected the change in sound, and ironically, it was never released in the US at all.

I've done a bit of listening to it recently, and despite the major dilution of sound, there are actually some really good songs on the album. They are just covered up by a muddy-sounding stand hard rock production that does the band no favors at all. It's not a classic like the previous trio of albums were, but it's not the dog I had it pegged as either.
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Return to Mecca