Reviews - Mecca II - Undeniable - 2011

A holy shrine for the killer AOR band.

Moderator: Andrew

Reviews - Mecca II - Undeniable - 2011

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:29 am

I am starting a thread to post links to all the reviews....I will post all of them, good and bad....but...there are no bad one ;-)

Seriously, all have been great....and I am vary appreciative of that....

Talk soon.....and I will start posting the links tonight....

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Andrew » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:06 am

Andrew
Administrator

Postby chynablue » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:55 am

Andrew wrote:http://www.melodicrock.com/reviews/reviews.html

Not a bad first review. Andrew even managed to slip my name in there. Rock on guys! :lol:
chynablue
45 RPM

Postby Joe Vana » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:30 am

chynablue wrote:

Not a bad first review. Andrew even managed to slip my name in there. Rock on guys! :lol:

Ok...this is getting boring...we got 100% on Mecca I.....we got 100% on Mecca II....now where do we go!!!!

hahahahhahah.....JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Tito » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:36 am

Joe Vana wrote:
chynablue wrote:

Ok...this is getting boring...we got 100% on Mecca I.....we got 100% on Mecca II....now where do we go!!!!

hahahahhahah.....JV

I'm disappointed he didn't give you a 105%...extra credit for the bonus track. :lol:
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Joe Vana » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:45 am

Tito wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:
chynablue wrote:

hahahahhahah.....JV

I'm disappointed he didn't give you a 105%...extra credit for the bonus track. :lol:

That's right!! hahahaha...many that heard the bonus track put it in their top 3 or 4 tracks on the album (like you Tito)...oh well...the japanese get to dig it!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:54 am

The Mecca cd has arrived, absolutely already diggin the album from just the first listen. More thoughts to follow when it sinks in a little bit.
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:57 am

LtVanish wrote:The Mecca cd has arrived, absolutely already diggin the album from just the first listen. More thoughts to follow when it sinks in a little bit.

Bless your soul...

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby lordreo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:39 pm

I downloaded Mecca II from iTunes at 0:01 on the 4th even though I had to get up at 5 in in the morning. And though I'm incredibly tired right now it was well worth the wait. I wanted to buy the real physical cd, but my budget didn't allow it so I went with the digital download (digital download iTunes: 14 USD; Physical CD: 38 USD)

So on my way to university this morning, I listened to it nonstop. And it freaking blew me away. Wow what a voice Joe! On Mecca one you were great, but on Mecca II you are incredible. It sounds like you can reach every note without even really trying. I really think you are one of the best singers I have ever heard.

The production is crystal clear. You can hear every little thing the songs contain. And they contain a lot. Like Joe said before, you always discover new things when listening. I only listened to the songs three times each, but I already feel like I discovered a million things. This also shows the quality of the songs. They are very different from the song that float around these days. A lot of the new Frontiers releases use the same songwriters over and over again. This release is different. The songs are still catchy and remarkable even though they are so different. I think you can see how much time and thinking went into each song.

I love this album, and for me this is definately the album of 2011. I don't know how Joe wants to top this with Mecca III, but if anyone can, it is him.

Congrats Joe to an incredible album, and I hope it gets the attention it deserves. And thank you for the album highlight of 2011 (and propably beyond).

greets Roy
lordreo
Ol' 78

Postby Brian M » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:15 pm

>I really think you are one of the best singers I have ever heard.

Ditto!!! Joe's amazing on a million levels... I sit in awe of him, his drive and focus is second to none.

I think in about six months, he'll have completed www.distrortedpriorities.com which is going to be something
special and amazing too... He'll be getting his prog freak flag on, which I'm excited about because there is no convention
to aim for, it is what it is - simply expressionistic artful music with some of the finest players that have picked up instruments.
Joe's son Joey is engineering it, and helping mix and produce it as well. Everyone is a co-writer, so I think fans of Dave LaRue
and Rod Morgenstein are going to find some really cool stuff coming out soon as they arranged and co-wrote the record.

The hardest thing in the world? To get Joe to sing. He's a silent monk, never one to miss a ta-da moment by
waiting until the last second to get his vocals done, meanwhile commanding over team mecca's baker's dozen, nuturing and bringing
out the best from everyone. Painful? Occasionally, like when the producers deleted tons of work of the new record, and stripped it
back to a band-oriented sound!!!" I remember orchestrating sections with strings, horns, midgets, bells, gregorian chants, dancing, etc... all gone!
Deceptive Cadence got a 2 minute haircut, etc... There were about 2 amazing records cut and discarded getting to Mecca II's finish line. I think
the best thing is the team became effecient. Engineer producer Chuck Macak did an amazing job. I defy any producer or engineer to listen to the record
and not be utterly stunned at the attention to detail. I'm impressed and I've heard it more than a few times. Joe's son Joey did a lot
of engineering on the record too (for years), as well as playing. Ace in the hole? Man in the tidy bowl? Call him what you want, but keep both your
eyes on that kid, I'm certain he's going to spin heads like his dad down the line...

Brian Moritz
Brian M
Fresh Air

Postby Calbear94 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:11 pm

Sounds like an exciting project Brian. Great job on your work on the album, too!

Here's the link again: http://www.distortedpriorities.com/
A denial is the same thing as a non-response. Either way, nothing new is learned.
Calbear94
45 RPM

Postby Calbear94 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:30 pm

A denial is the same thing as a non-response. Either way, nothing new is learned.
Calbear94
45 RPM

Postby Joe Vana » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:50 pm

lordreo wrote:I downloaded Mecca II from iTunes at 0:01 on the 4th even though I had to get up at 5 in in the morning. And though I'm incredibly tired right now it was well worth the wait. I wanted to buy the real physical cd, but my budget didn't allow it so I went with the digital download (digital download iTunes: 14 USD; Physical CD: 38 USD)

So on my way to university this morning, I listened to it nonstop. And it freaking blew me away. Wow what a voice Joe! On Mecca one you were great, but on Mecca II you are incredible. It sounds like you can reach every note without even really trying. I really think you are one of the best singers I have ever heard.

The production is crystal clear. You can hear every little thing the songs contain. And they contain a lot. Like Joe said before, you always discover new things when listening. I only listened to the songs three times each, but I already feel like I discovered a million things. This also shows the quality of the songs. They are very different from the song that float around these days. A lot of the new Frontiers releases use the same songwriters over and over again. This release is different. The songs are still catchy and remarkable even though they are so different. I think you can see how much time and thinking went into each song.

I love this album, and for me this is definately the album of 2011. I don't know how Joe wants to top this with Mecca III, but if anyone can, it is him.

Congrats Joe to an incredible album, and I hope it gets the attention it deserves. And thank you for the album highlight of 2011 (and propably beyond).

greets Roy

Thanks Roy!

I learned about vocal control from JP and Thom Griffin...the rest god just blessed me with....I thank you VERY much...

This was a labor to produce....but in the end it sounds like I heard it in my head!!!

I am honored you take time in your day to listen to my album...thank you!!!

I am trying to get FS to buckle in and do an album with me....a complete mix of WSC meets THTS....he has been as hard to reach as the CIA lately...but if I nail him down that will be next...he already said he wants to do it...

I will make that Survivor album yet!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby hydraturnback » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Joe
I have only heard the album a couple of times, but Closing Time really resonates.
Great work mate!
hydra
hydraturnback
Ol' 78

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:19 am

hydraturnback wrote:Joe
I have only heard the album a couple of times, but Closing Time really resonates.
Great work mate!
hydra

Thanks Man!!!

Coool Tune....and it resonates with me....it is about finally realizing enough is enough and ending things....

Relationships are hard...and some people just love to argue my man!!!

I am not one of those...so when you finally realized enough is enough....its CLOSING TIME!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby S2M » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:08 am

Interesting......

In order of diminishing returns....

Closing Time
Ten Lifetimes
Perfect World
Undeniable
As I Walk Alone
Life's Too Short
the rest

Love the voice. Not a fan of the softer side songs. Mecca needs to rock out more. BUT, I will say this release smokes Toby Hitchcock's....just saying.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:53 am

S2M wrote:Interesting......

Closing Time
Ten Lifetimes
Perfect World
Undeniable
As I Walk Alone
Life's Too Short
the rest

Love the voice. Not a fan of the softer side songs. Mecca needs to rock out more. BUT, I will say this release smokes Toby Hitchcock's....just saying.

Is this the Steve guy from the Journey boards???
JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby S2M » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Joe Vana wrote:

Closing Time
Ten Lifetimes
Perfect World
Undeniable
As I Walk Alone
Life's Too Short
the rest

JV

No...I am not Steve. Closing Time and Ten Lifetimes are killer!
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:47 pm

S2M wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

Closing Time
Ten Lifetimes
Perfect World
Undeniable
As I Walk Alone
Life's Too Short
the rest

JV

No...I am not Steve. Closing Time and Ten Lifetimes are killer!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Ten Lifetimes has ALOT of meaning for me....Closing Time has a killer riff played by Mark Alano, and written by Tommy Denander and I....TD wrote the music on the tune....

Thanks alot Bro......JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby hydraturnback » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi Joe,
I have to say that it sounds like TD is ALL over this record - and I specifically mean his style and "vibe".
With several songs beginning with the programmed keys/drums intro - sounds like TD was behind this album in more ways than one...Have to say, this is a really strong album.
Well done Joe.
hydra
hydraturnback
Ol' 78

Postby yulog » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 am

This is just fantastic westcoast AOR, and i'm only up to song 7. Image
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:10 am

yulog wrote:This is just fantastic westcoast AOR, and i'm only up to song 7. Image

Thank you!

The album was a real problem for me...making it sound the way I wanted I knew would alienate some fans, and some would never understand the complexities of the tunes...a lot of fans of this genre like straight ahead pop tunes...and I wanted to do what I preferred rather than not artistically do what I felt was best. I hope that makes sense...almost to the point of being so different from Mecca I that it may piss some people off....the lyrics were dark, but I had just been coming off of an 8 year rocky relationship that was very intense...so the lyrics were what they were...

This album leaves no middle ground...you either love it, or hate it.....

Thanks guys.....JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:01 am

hydraturnback wrote:Hi Joe,
I have to say that it sounds like TD is ALL over this record - and I specifically mean his style and "vibe".
With several songs beginning with the programmed keys/drums intro - sounds like TD was behind this album in more ways than one...Have to say, this is a really strong album.
Well done Joe.
hydra

TD was the man on Mecca II.....no question about it!
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Thanks Guys!!!

Postby Joe Vana » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:29 am

Hi!!!

2011 was an amazing year for me musically...I was able to finish Mecca II....and I must say the reviews across the board were staggering....we completed a double here at mr.com...getting 100% for our first TWO CD's in a row....that has NEVER happened before on here.....and also the reviews on all the other sites were amazing as well....even ones on METAL sites....I believe sales have been amazing as well.....personally it was a hard year, loss, grief and tidying up some old crap...but I got through it with the support of a few select very close friends, and one select "friend" in particular.......

I have been asked over the past 6 months to play on numerous other projects and CD's...by big legendary artists...my idols and I am honored....but I am focusing all my time and energy on getting better and beating the physical issue I have been dealt with...

2012 looks to be even more promising....and I recieved news yesterday which I cannot even believe, it will put all my hard work over the past 15 years all together and payoff bigger than I ever hoped....

As far as Mecca there will be another record...Mecca III....but the time frame is moved back a bit....but will happen....also, it will be MUCH heavier...it will have it's ballads, but maybe 3 of 12....

I hope everybody is working their own personal plan for 2012....it is important to sit down and get it on paper...in our heads does not always stick!!

Tonefully.....JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Return to Mecca