Favorite Band

A holy shrine for the killer AOR band.

Moderator: Andrew

Name favorite band based on their albums only.

Survivor
26%
Toto
22%
Mr. Mister
4%
Journey
39%
Genesis
9%

Total votes : 23

Favorite Band

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:54 am

Name your favorite bands based on their recordings, NOT live....
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby jaxmanjoe » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:01 pm

Surprised at the results so far. I like Toto but I simply think every song in Survivor's catalog is worth listening to except maybe a couple off the last album. Glad you said based on recordings and not live. Survivor is definitely not my favorite live band...
Jaxmanjoe
jaxmanjoe
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:05 pm

I voted for Survivor, but it's pretty close to a tie with Journey.

Survivor and Journey are basically tied as my favorite band. But I have a sentimental edge toward Survivor.

I give the musical edge to Journey. But I give the lyrical edge to Survivor. I also think that it's extremely rare for Survivor to have a song on an album that could be considered to be "filler." Before Jon Cain joined Journey, they had an occasional song that could be considered "filler."
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Tito » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:59 am

I remember a few years ago, Andrew made a comment saying (paraphrasing) Survivor's catalog was better than Journey's. Even though I like both bands, I laughed my ass off and just chalked it up as another one of Andrew's misguided comments. :lol: However, since that time, I have really started listening to the Survivor catalog and now I must say that comment isn't so far fetched. I don't know if I would go all the way yet and say Survivor is better. Part of my hesitation is I'm just tired and burnt out on the Journey stuff lately. How many times can one listen to DSB or Lights on the radio? So, I don't know how fair it would be to judge right now. Ten or twenty years ago, it would have been Journey in a landslide. So, I am still going to vote for Journey, but Survivor isn't far behind. Toto I like but I am not familiar with them beyond their greatest hits package. They do have one of my top 3 favorite songs of all time - Africa - though. Genesis, I like a lot. Even the songs I didn't like as a kid, I like now. I'm just scratching the surface on diving into their catalog. The only problem with them is they have some freaky stuff, particularly from their early years, that I can't get into.
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Tito » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:01 am

Forgot about Mr. Mister. Not really familiar with their catalog except their three hits - all very good. Just like Toto, they have one of my Top 3 favorite song of all time - Broken Wings.
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:57 am

Tito wrote:Forgot about Mr. Mister. Not really familiar with their catalog except their three hits - all very good. Just like Toto, they have one of my Top 3 favorite song of all time - Broken Wings.

You have to get educated with them!!! They freaking kill!!!!
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby mrsromek » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Well, shoot...I'm the only one that voted for Genesis! No offense to fans of the other bands, as I like some of them too. Sure, I'm a fan of PC on vocals and all their 80's and We Can't Dance material. I finally saw them live in '07 at the UC and it was a great show.

But, I do enjoy some of the stuff from the Gabriel era...particularly Selling England by the Pound. 'Firth of Fifth' is a masterpiece. I couldn't tell you what some of the lyrics are about, but damn, I like it!
mrsromek
45 RPM

Return to Mecca