Video

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Video

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:57 am

I remember when Journey and Van Halen in 1986 took a stand and only made live videos. Journey did it because they said that during regular videos(there is a correct name for it), gave the viewer a mindset rather than letting the listener develop a view in his/her mind. So they only made live videos for ROR.

Do you think Journey could make a live video and use it for promotion of the "new lineup" and for the new CD?

So it costs a few bucks. They could pay for it themselves, and reap the benefits of the advertising.

Any thoughts.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:59 am

Yea, use live footage of them ripping TPIYH or FITH and dub in the real audio... that would work. Again, the Crue just did it with Sick Love Song and the video became a hit.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:01 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Yea, use live footage of them ripping TPIYH or FITH and dub in the real audio... that would work. Again, the Crue just did it with Sick Love Song and the video became a hit.

I mean Journey could certainly afford it.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:12 am

And they certainly could stand a hit (or any video that gets play) video. been 9 years since WYLAW. What's that move THE VOICE :wink: does in that video in front of the mike, from the profile as he leans back and belts "When You Know She's Standing By Your side?" Like mokey moves with his arms or something....
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:17 am

Red13JoePa wrote:And they certainly could stand a hit (or any video that gets play) video. been 9 years since WYLAW. What's that move THE VOICE :wink: does in that video in front of the mike, from the profile as he leans back and belts "When You Know She's Standing By Your side?" Like mokey moves with his arms or something....

I am not jumping on this one. I thought Perry's emotion was ok. He certainly didn't go through the motions did he? Like some certain Pig10 football team does :wink:
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:25 am

looked odd. He was emoting, though, and I'll chalk it up to that. i like when he doesn the little air violin to introduce the orch.

I'll stand by my 10-2. A loss to the badgers and 1 to Free-Demo-Car State.

Based on the momentum of rocking out Generations in the lockeroom. What'd you listen to at Wazzu, Nirvana?
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Hippie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:41 am

What's that move THE VOICE does in that video in front of the mike, from the profile as he leans back and belts "When You Know She's Standing By Your side?" Like mokey moves with his arms or something....

It certainly is a questionable move for someone in agony with a hip problem! :wink:
But that's neither here nor there!

I think Journey should do some sort of live video. Styx did that for "Walrus" and I believe it's getting some airplay on VH1.

It'd be a great way to alert classic rock fans that don't know they're still together.
Hippie
45 RPM

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:45 am

See, if Styx is getting airplay with that, all the more reason for JRNY to leap into the fray. I see the Styx covers album all over. Target, best buy fye, and THEY'RE not on a big label....
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:50 am

Red13JoePa wrote:See, if Styx is getting airplay with that, all the more reason for JRNY to leap into the fray. I see the Styx covers album all over. Target, best buy fye, and THEY'RE not on a big label....

Now THIS is Irving's responsibility. Get up old man...Creak on over to the fax machine, fire off a letter somewhere, tell the Band that they will record TPIYH one of these nights, so look good. Tell them you are on the job.. And then, have another scotch, and lay down..fuckin geezer..
Last edited by Rockindeano on Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:12 am

Funny, I was thinking about starting a thread about videos yesterday, but forgot. We are all on the same wavelength, I guess!

I show my friends the Live 2001 DVD, and they can't believe how great Journey looks and sounds. It's ridiculous to think that they aren't doing a video for VH1. Is anyone SURE they aren't? I haven't heard anything about videos in any band interviews. Maybe Andrew can shed some light on this?
NealIsGod
MP3

Re: Video

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:42 am

Rock'ndeano wrote: Journey did it because they said that during regular videos(there is a correct name for it), gave the viewer a mindset rather than letting the listener develop a view in his/her mind. So they only made live videos for ROR.

Actually, I recall them saying that there would be no videos for ROR because it was all about RADIO. Then, when they realized they really needed videos, the succumbed by only doing live videos.

Rock'ndeano wrote: Do you think Journey could make a live video and use it for promotion of the "new lineup" and for the new CD?

They certainly could do it. And that is probably what will happen IF any videos are done. After all, they are recording the shows on the tour. But I still believe it will take more than a live video to catch people's attention.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:44 am

Red13JoePa wrote:And they certainly could stand a hit (or any video that gets play) video. been 9 years since WYLAW.....

They did live videos for Higher Place and All The Way for Arrival. Didn't do anything. And WYLAW was not a live video. WYLAW was a very well done performance video. This is the absolute best video Journey ever made. And it is a good example of what Journey needs to do if they want video attention. But they also had Sony bankrolling that video and all other promotion.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:47 am

Hippie wrote:It certainly is a questionable move for someone in agony with a hip problem! :wink:
But that's neither here nor there!

Really the "Perry twirl" would be more difficult!

Hippie wrote:I think Journey should do some sort of live video. Styx did that for "Walrus" and I believe it's getting some airplay on VH1.

The STYX video was not a live video. It was each member of the band singing or playing along with some very psychidelic effects over it. Those effects were eye catching...leading to the airplay.

Hippie wrote:It'd be a great way to alert classic rock fans that don't know they're still together.

Yes it would.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:49 am

Red13JoePa wrote:See, if Styx is getting airplay with that, all the more reason for JRNY to leap into the fray. I see the Styx covers album all over. Target, best buy fye, and THEY'RE not on a big label....

But they ARE on a label, unlike Journey.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:56 am

NealIsGod wrote:Funny, I was thinking about starting a thread about videos yesterday, but forgot. We are all on the same wavelength, I guess!

Yep, cuz I just posted about video in another thread!

NealIsGod wrote:It's ridiculous to think that they aren't doing a video for VH1. Is anyone SURE they aren't? I haven't heard anything about videos in any band interviews. Maybe Andrew can shed some light on this?

I have not heard anything one way or the other. But there doesn't seem to be any plan of promotion "at this time". How can Journey STILL not be on a label?? Even Ross said so last week...still no label in the States. That is ridiculous. Optimistically (or hypothetically) I would love to think that Journey is signed and the details are not being released until they ATTACK the WORLD with promotion. But the fact is Journey says they are not on a label in the States. Therefore there will be little promotion in the States. If Journey is not worried about promotion after the Tour then there sure as hell won't be a video. HOWEVER, it is possible that Frontiers might finance a little video (There was one for JSS' solo with Neal as a guest) and that could be used in Europe. So if that happens, what would keep them from at least seniding out to all the stations here? The JSS one was simple, but had some cool visual effects.

One more question: SS said they were filming a video for Coming Home at the Filmore as a tribute to the troops...WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT VIDEO??
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:56 am

And speaking of video, have I told you all my ideas for how "Remember Me" should have been handled??
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:56 am

That's the point. Styx just picked a lable instead of hemming and hawing.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:04 am

jrnyman28 wrote:WYLAW was a very well done performance video. This is the absolute best video Journey ever made.

I disagree. I don't think I have ever stayed awake through the whole thing.

My favorite Journey non-live video is the one for Chain Reaction. It's the best of their lousy vids.

Deano is right about Journey's video philosophy. I remember hearing them say that they want people to use their imaginations when they hear a song, not have a video do it for them. I used to tell my friends in high school that Journey was "above" making videos! But secretly I wished they would make them...

Never seen any videos from Arrival. Are they good? Can you describe them, Dave?
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:06 am

NealIsGod wrote:Deano is right about Journey's video philosophy. I remember hearing them say that they want people to use their imaginations when they hear a song, not have a video do it for them.

Yes, that is true. But after NOT making a video for "Be Good To Yourself" they fell back on that. They did not make that video because the CD was about RADIO. Before Frontiers they never made a "concept" video. They always stuck with 'performance' videos with maybe a touch of something else. Like the "studio" in one video. And didn't they have a floating bubble in one and a jukebox in another? But they all featured the band performing.

NealIsGod wrote:Never seen any videos from Arrival. Are they good? Can you describe them, Dave?

They were just the footage from the Journey 2001 DVD.
Last edited by jrnyman28 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Hippie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:06 am

The STYX video was not a live video. It was each member of the band singing or playing along with some very psychidelic effects over it. Those effects were eye catching...leading to the airplay.

Good point. The song was live (I believe), but not the actual video. J Tull has done that before too.

Still, Journey could do something similar; like at a low cost and effort.
Hippie
45 RPM

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:13 am

From the Frontiers Review Thread:

Rock'ndeano wrote:
Money. Ok, well try this one.

Make a video. Pay for it yourselves. Take a loss..at first..How many people don't know about 2005 Journey? Generations, what's that?

Film a video, live if you want, get it on VH1, and let the video be your marketing vehicle.

They tried the video route with Arrival. It was an after thought of course, but it was the perfect opportunity due to the availability of the DVD footage. VH1 still did not play it and VH1Classic only played them rarely.

Of course there were a couple problems. "All The Way" was weak! Sony didn't care about "Arrival".

But, those videos were not a financial loss and they still didn't make a splash. VH1, eMpTyV, FUSE, etc DON'T CARE! VH1 Classic is the only outlet.

A Live video would be the cheapest, but it will not get airplay because there is nothing "special" about it. I have posted the idea MANY times that Journey should approach film school students with the task of making a video for a specific song. Give them the song and let them run with it. Students will find a fresh view and they will be cheap.

I think Out Of Harm's Way would make a GREAT video...especially as a tribute to the Armed Forces! Beyond The Clouds could make a FANTASTIC video but I don't know how good a single that would be.

I think Knowing That You Love Me does have the most potential as a crossover hit. Top 40 would play it and R&B stations MIGHT. Try sending it to R&B stations without the band name attached. Who knows?
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:47 am

Ah, concept..thank you 28...

The band can say all they wanted about ROR being about radio, truth is, Journey made the worst videos known to man; with the exception of a few.

I thought Faithfully was excellent, as was Why Can't this Night go on forever..(because I am in it!)...

28, the student video idea is genius.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:48 am

Hey anyone know Assoffs email? I am going to suffucate that old fuck til he responds.....I will tear down his server...

Move your wrinkly old ass grandpa
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:51 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:Hey anyone know Assoffs email?

It can't be THAT hard to find...
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:55 am

Yeah but All the Way may be Journey's bottom 5 songs of all time. Faith and Place are cookers. And I guarantee you my left nut, A Better Life would be a great video/single..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:09 am

jrnyman28 wrote:

Azoff Music Management
(310) 209-3100
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:14 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
jrnyman28 wrote:

Azoff Music Management
(310) 209-3100

I just called, and asked for Irving..she said "Your name please?" and I hung up.

I called again, and asked for grandpa Irv..she hung up!
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:13 am

C'mon, seriously call in. Tell him "I'm Rock'n Deano, dammit! DUH!!"
Irv will HAVE to talk to you then.

Maybe you should ask for Tom Consuelo, I think he is more directly in charge of Journey anyway.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:17 am

jrnyman28 wrote:C'mon, seriously call in. Tell him "I'm Rock'n Deano, dammit! DUH!!"
Irv will HAVE to talk to you then.

Maybe you should ask for Tom Consuelo, I think he is more directly in charge of Journey anyway.

I am going to go down to my phone company and get a "restricted" number..That way those geezers HAVE to answer....!
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:04 am

I actually really wonder what it would take to have a conference call with one of them and ask them about some of the issues and ideas we have. Even if they could tell us why they wouldn't work, that would be better than nothing.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Next

Return to Journey