Moderator: Andrew

Which Survivor is/was better?

Late 70's era
2%
Early 80's era
38%
Middle to late 80's
52%
Early to Mid 90's (including the FMS album)
2%
Late 90's to 2000
No votes
From 2000-2006 (including Jimi Jamison's Survivor "Empires")
1%
The Present Survivor era
5%

Total votes : 88

The New Survivor Vs. The Old Survivor Official Debate Forum

Postby survivorfan2005 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:47 am

Ok, everyone I thought not only would it cut down on posting space and because this is such a highly debated topic that i would create this little debate forum. So, who is best Survivor?

The New Survivor or the Old Survivor with either Jimi or Dave. No, this debate is not about who was the best singer (they are only part of the band) instead this is about the music and the albums that were produced as well as the old demos.

Feel free to express your opinion as long as it's done respectfully.

Also, please give reasons and evidence why you have this opinion.

Thank you all and enjoy!

BTW: What does the allmighty Google say?
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?la ... d+Survivor

Now what do you say?
Last edited by survivorfan2005 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music is only Real if you can feel it...

survivorfan2005
45 RPM

Postby 7 Wishes » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:14 am

You must be shitting me. McAuley can't hit ANY of Jimi of Dave's high stuff. "Present" Survivor shouldn't even be a poll option.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby survivorfan2005 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:33 am

This thread is not intended for "best singer" ok? . this is in regards to the music. Most of your posts on this forum are flamatory and is in violation of this forums policy.
I'll ask you nicely, please do not post profanity in this thread or I will contact the administration and have your posts removed. This is intended for a nice fun debate and not a war.

8) Thank you and have a nice day.

survivorfan2005
45 RPM

Postby 7 Wishes » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:41 am

Oh, please, sir, don't tell the principal! I might get detention!

My opinion is that McAuley SUCKS, and that Survivor will no longer exist in three years. It's because Franklin Sullivan is an arrogant schmuck; that's why he ran off everyone other than Droubay. One of my favourite bands is down the crapper because their egomaniacal guitarist thinks he knows everything, when in fact, he is completely off the pulse of what the fans want or what is best for the band.

By the way, the word you meant to use was "inflammatory", not "flamatory". I think "flamatory" is a city in the northern province of Quebec.

If you really think Andrew has the time to listen to you, or is going to be bothered, by someone using the word "shitty" do describe someone's vocal abilities, you have another thing coming. Give it a rest, and get off of your soapbox. There's no room up there for either you or for Slander.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:52 am

7, shut up and go back to your momma's basement. Isn't it time you finally moved out of the house?
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby 7 Wishes » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:03 am

Wow. You really told me that time, Slander. I don't know if I have a retort worthy of that remarkable put-down. Well done! It's free play today, Slander, so you get first choice of toys - will it be the Flintstones Talking Telephone or the Barney doll?
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:46 am

7 you are hardly sophisticated when it comes to your argumentation. You never provide evidence to support your claims. You use words like Shit to desrcibe Robin's singing. Wow, what a way with words. What happened? Did someone steal your autographed copy of "I'M ALWAYS HERE"?
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby 7 Wishes » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:56 am

Actually, Stumpy, I do. Just because I utilize the occasional expletive to make a point does not discount the veracity and tenability of my argumentative abilities. You are the one who attempts to morph opinion into fact. By the way, someone stole my nude photos of Ernest Borgnine.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:03 pm

7 Wishes wrote:It's because Franklin Sullivan is an arrogant schmuck; that's why he ran off everyone other than Droubay. One of my favourite bands is down the crapper because their egomaniacal guitarist thinks he knows everything, when in fact, he is completely off the pulse of what the fans want or what is best for the band.

Being co-founder of the band, arrogance is probably part and parcel of why the band still exists. Unlike some "founders" who want to handover the reigns to someone who had no part in the conception in the first place. The latter is a definite patsy move in my book.

You must be kidding the band is down the crapper. I thought they were on tv recently. No? :shock:

Meanwhile, with regards to the favourite era. I'd say the era that is present. They're a happy band now, after a LONG time.
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby 7 Wishes » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:10 pm

MJ, that was a well thought-out post. Thank you. I would digress, however, in that there are only two original members left; hardly enough to justify the assertion that they're "finally happy". Of course McAuley is happy - he's in a band that exceeds his abilities. Besides, Frankie's been pawning that "happier than ever" shit for 15 years. If you read his interviews right around the time Jamo left, it was the same B.S.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:38 pm

I'm getting REALLY SERIOUSLY bored of watching you two going at it in EVERY thread on this board. Give it a rest....NOW.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby MarcelJordan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:38 pm

7 Wishes wrote:MJ, that was a well thought-out post. Thank you. I would digress, however, in that there are only two original members left; hardly enough to justify the assertion that they're "finally happy". Of course McAuley is happy - he's in a band that exceeds his abilities. Besides, Frankie's been pawning that "happier than ever" shit for 15 years. If you read his interviews right around the time Jamo left, it was the same B.S.

Firstly thanks for your kind comment. However, there is only ONE original member left in the band :lol: Marc was brought in by FS and Stephan Ellis because of Marc (have to check on that though) after the first record.

As for your comment on McAuley, that's funny, but perhaps a bit harsh. :cry: I think Robin is alright he's got the energy, but a different yet exciting vibe. Not to mention sharing the same birthday as Marc, which I would say is an overall "feel good" proposition to the band :P Compare that with JJ and FS getting back together while Marc not entirely impressed, but going along with it (a feeling I got from 2000 to 2006). After reading what Marc said about not being able to play certain tunes with JJ, I agree with you in that respect. Meaning don't see any such "brotherhood" when JJ was with them.

Finally, after I heard the Kansas stuff with Robin, I think they really sounded great.
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby survivorfan2005 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:55 pm

Andrew

I'm getting REALLY SERIOUSLY bored of watching you two going at it in EVERY thread on this board. Give it a rest....NOW.

thanks a lot 8) [/quote]

survivorfan2005
45 RPM

re

Postby lukather4prez » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:26 pm

How can Robin McAuleys' version even be included in ANY debate or otherwise as he's not released anything new with the band yet??? THis is retarded to even talk about let alone argue!!

When Robin does a record with them and tours then you can talk your Shite til then...why bother??

I thought Robin did a sub-par job on that gay dancing show last week but he was singing noone was playing anything. its just a vehicle to let the world know they aren't dead yet that they are still together and touring/recording /performing etc etc.

The jury is still out on rockin' Robin n Survivor. I'm willing to give them a chance.

c.m.
lukather4prez
Ol' 78

Postby Red13JoePa » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:32 pm

7 Wishes wrote: Frankie's been pawning that "happier than ever" shit for 15 years. If you read his interviews right around the time Jamo left, it was the same B.S.

Ding Ding Ding.

Winner.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby survivorfan2005 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:38 am

I see no one voted for the late 70's Survivor which includes those old demos we heard in the live shows as well as the album "SURVIVOR".. I was also curious if anyone heard the song actually called "Survivor" from the live show, what do you think of it and if they should remake it or any of those songs?

survivorfan2005
45 RPM

Postby Slander » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:50 am

I just listened to the first Survivor album the other day while driving. Folks give it a spin. There are some killer tracks on there. I'll be honest, I don't care for JP's vocals but the music is great. Didn't Ron Nevison leave during production?
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:53 am

Sadly I did not get involved with Survivor until those Vital Signs heyday hits so I always give the edge to that era. I can go back and listen to the DB era but it just does not have the same sort of connection with me. And since I am not as connected, therefore not as familiar with, that era I still favor the JJ hit era.

I cannot believe how much effort is put into debating the validity of the choices in the poll. Who cares!? If you don't think it is a valid choice, don't vote for it...but don't bitch about it either.

Having survived the years of Journey debate, I now look at this sort of posting as tiresome (Especially 7 since he appears more personal). Nothing wrong with preferring different eras (or errors LOL!) of the band. Nothing wrong with not supporting others. But grow up people!!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Slander » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:57 am

Amen.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby survivorfan2005 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:42 pm

Check this out everyone, It's a video of "LA Goodbye" Which was featured in the live show from the late 70's from Survivor.. http://www.jimpeterik.com/flash/Ides%20Movie2.htm

It's still interesting that JP was the original singer for the band.. What do you all think of this song?

survivorfan2005
45 RPM

Postby 7 Wishes » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:17 pm

Actually, I have his first solo LP. "Daphne With the Laughing Eyes" is a great track.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby survivorfan2005 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:30 pm

ok guys, i got a debate topic for you all...... Which Rocks more, Vital Signs or Premonition?

survivorfan2005
45 RPM

Postby silvergirl66 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:25 am

PREMONITION!!!!!!!!!!! But VS is excellent too. Premonition just rocks more.
silvergirl66
LP

Postby Slander » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:21 am

Silver I'll take Bickler any day of the week but Vital Signs is a masterpiece start to finish. Keep in mind I have WSC rated last on my list of Survivor albums. I pretty much plug my ears everytime I hear I This Love? Yuck! The absolute worst Survivor song in history. Wait a minute. Maybe that distinction goes to The Moment of Truth.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby silvergirl66 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:31 am

I agree, VS is a masterpiece but the debate is which rocks more and I would have to say Premonition for songs like Chevy Night, Poor Mans Son, Take you On A Saturday and the passion of Hearts a Lonley Hunter. They had a raw harder edged sound then, which I loved. VS is very polished.
silvergirl66
LP

Postby Slander » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:54 am

Good point! I think VS rocks in spots. You are right when you say Premonition is edgier. Am I the only one who holds WSC in such low esteem? Is This Love reminds me of something Glass Tiger would do.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby silvergirl66 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:05 am

I'd have to agree the WSC is my least favorite of all, it's pretty sappy.
silvergirl66
LP

Postby BIGDOG1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:23 am

McCauley is a great singer.he did a great job on Eye on dancin' w/ the stars.Wait for the new disc then judge. 8)
BIGDOG1
Fresh Air

Postby Slander » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:35 am

I hope he and Frankie do something incredibly bluesy. Kind of like Great White's Rock Me!
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:46 pm

Slander wrote:Good point! I think VS rocks in spots. You are right when you say Premonition is edgier. Am I the only one who holds WSC in such low esteem? Is This Love reminds me of something Glass Tiger would do.

WSC also comes last for me. That being said , I kinda like Is this love. I think its a really well crafted. WSC was also more organic more "live" but the drums recording really messed it up for me.

Premonition is my sentimental fav. Eye though takes FIRST place. Premonition and VS actually are quite equal except that with Take you on Saturday (my fav. Survivor tune) pushes VS to third.
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)