Moderator: Andrew

Which Survivor is/was better?

Late 70's era
2%
Early 80's era
38%
Middle to late 80's
52%
Early to Mid 90's (including the FMS album)
2%
Late 90's to 2000
No votes
From 2000-2006 (including Jimi Jamison's Survivor "Empires")
1%
The Present Survivor era
5%

Total votes : 88

Postby jsmac32raider » Tue May 15, 2007 6:43 am

So which ones rock harder in VS? I thought in "Singer" Jamo was full swing vocally, Frankie on fire on guitar, Marc D. slamming the skins like no other.

Hey Marcel. . . . .my bad. I thought you were talking about Survivor's music as a whole. Yeah, Singer's got good energy on VS. Although, "Broken Promises" has a harder edge in my opinion.

Later and sorry for the mistake. . . .
jsmac32raider
Radio Waves

Postby jsmac32raider » Tue May 15, 2007 11:05 am

Hey Marcel. . . . . let me guess - your favorite Survivor song is "Take you on a Saturday" and you totally love the bass lines. . . . . . . .

Am I right?
jsmac32raider
Radio Waves

Postby MarcelJordan » Tue May 15, 2007 11:52 am

jsmac32raider wrote:Hey Marcel. . . . . let me guess - your favorite Survivor song is "Take you on a Saturday" and you totally love the bass lines. . . . . . . .

Am I right?

I love EVERYTHING about TYOAS! Yep, that is my ultimate fav. Survivor tune. Dave at his rawest and most powerful, IMO. From raw to the gentler bridge and then back to raw, power vocals. Bass lines and then some! Frankie's guitar work is exemplary as well. My fav. from him.
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby Slander » Wed May 16, 2007 4:59 am

MarcelJordan wrote:
jsmac32raider wrote:Hey Marcel. . . . . let me guess - your favorite Survivor song is "Take you on a Saturday" and you totally love the bass lines. . . . . . . .

Am I right?

I love EVERYTHING about TYOAS! Yep, that is my ultimate fav. Survivor tune. Dave at his rawest and most powerful, IMO. From raw to the gentler bridge and then back to raw, power vocals. Bass lines and then some! Frankie's guitar work is exemplary as well. My fav. from him.

It was also a song I felt Jamo wasn't up to live. Nice try though. His vocals were too smooth.
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed May 16, 2007 5:12 am

Slander wrote: His vocals were too smooth.

What an asinine criticism of Jamison.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Lark » Wed May 16, 2007 5:22 am

Too Smooth? Is that possible?
Lark
Ol' 78

Postby Slander » Wed May 16, 2007 6:54 am

Lark wrote:Too Smooth? Is that possible?

Yeah it is. The song as an edge to it. I don't think Jamo brings that to the table like Bickler. Sorry. Jamo is more suited to pop drivel like IS THIS LOVE.
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Wed May 16, 2007 6:55 am

Yeah it is. The song as an edge to it. I don't think Jamo brings that to the table like Bickler. Sorry. Jamo is more suited to pop drivel like IS THIS LOVE.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby 7 Wishes » Wed May 16, 2007 8:02 am

Only in the alternate universe in which Slander and froy live. Jamo can belt with the best of them..."Can't Let You Go"? He can do it all. Wrong, yet again, Slander.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Wed May 16, 2007 8:09 am

7 Wishes wrote:

Only in the alternate universe in which Slander and froy live. Jamo can belt with the best of them..."Can't Let You Go"? He can do it all. Wrong, yet again, Slander.

Sorry I'm not part of the Jamo jerk-fest. He's a fine singer. Having said that, some songs were meant to be sung by Bickler. Take You On A Saturday is clearly one of those songs.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby mystichealer » Wed May 16, 2007 9:46 am

Slander wrote:

Pop drivel like 'Is This Love'??? Are you freakin crazy? 'Is This Love' is a fine AOR Ballad if ever there was one. Survivor are an AOR BAND, Always have been classed as one. Thats why i like them. AOR bands have ballads, see Journey, Styx, REO, Foreigner, Heart, and of course, Survivor.
Are you seriously saying that early Survivor never did soppy ballads when Bickler was at the helm? How about 'I never stopped lovin you', or even earlier stuff like 'Summer Nights'. Oh and lets not forget the ULTIMATE Survivor POP song 'American Heartbeat, Now that IS A POP SONG if ever there was one.
mystichealer
Ol' 78

Postby jsmac32raider » Wed May 16, 2007 10:36 am

jsmac32raider wrote:
Hey Marcel. . . . . let me guess - your favorite Survivor song is "Take you on a Saturday" and you totally love the bass lines. . . . . . . .

Am I right?

He he he he he. . . . . .Hey Justin, it's me, Jacksmack from the Survivor board. We used to chat it up all the time man. Remember me? Good to hear from you man. An anonymous source told me that you were going by MarcelJordan . . . . .

Anyways, yeah man - Take you on a Saturday is classic. If I had to choose 5 songs in which I think Dave's voice is just freakin' unbelievably strong, I suppose it would be (in no particular order): 1)Nothing can shake me from your love. . . 2)Heart's a Lonely Hunter (listen to the middle and the end of that song - it's scary how powerful the man's voice is). . . . .3)I'm Not That Man Anymore. . . . . . . .4)Eye of the Tiger. . . .5)Either Ever Since the World Began or Poor Man's Son. Dang!!!! I'm leaving so many out!. . . .Like "Silver Girl", "Hesitation Dance", "Whole Town's Talkin", "Light of a thousand smiles". . . . ..Shoot, I could go on and on and on and on!!!!

And JJ's voice was absolutely brilliant in Burning Bridges. To me, that's his most accomplished vocal to date. Damned good stuff. Classic Surivor song. Perfect song for Dave.
jsmac32raider
Radio Waves

Why the Dave / JJ bashing?

Postby jsmac32raider » Wed May 16, 2007 10:37 am

As for the constant bashing of the 2 singers by people around here. . . . . I don't get it. Perhaps I sound hypocrytical in saying that considering I've been rather harsh on Robin (without knowing much about him), but, the reality is that both Dave and JJ had incredible voices and both played roles in the type of music Survivor was playing at that particular time in the music industry. Let's face it, not a lot of AOR rock bands were putting out songs like "Hesitation Dance" during the time when "Search is over" was released. And conversely, there weren't a lot of rock bands putting out songs like "Is this love" during the era when "Nothing Can Shake Me" was released.

Basically, both singers played HUGE roles in defining the music of Survivor as we all know it today. And maybe Robin will too. What the hell do I know after all. I just didn't like what I heard in DWTS. But as for the bashing of Dave and JJ. . . . . . I don't really get that. If you don't like their personalities, fine. But, you seriously can't call either one of them bad singers.
jsmac32raider
Radio Waves

Re: Why the Dave / JJ bashing?

Postby Slander » Wed May 16, 2007 10:49 am

jsmac32raider wrote:As for the constant bashing of the 2 singers by people around here. . . . . I don't get it. Perhaps I sound hypocrytical in saying that considering I've been rather harsh on Robin (without knowing much about him), but, the reality is that both Dave and JJ had incredible voices and both played roles in the type of music Survivor was playing at that particular time in the music industry. Let's face it, not a lot of AOR rock bands were putting out songs like "Hesitation Dance" during the time when "Search is over" was released. And conversely, there weren't a lot of rock bands putting out songs like "Is this love" during the era when "Nothing Can Shake Me" was released.

Basically, both singers played HUGE roles in defining the music of Survivor as we all know it today. And maybe Robin will too. What the hell do I know after all. I just didn't like what I heard in DWTS. But as for the bashing of Dave and JJ. . . . . . I don't really get that. If you don't like their personalities, fine. But, you seriously can't call either one of them bad singers.

Who said Dave or JJ are bad singers? I don't think anyone has said that. I just don't kiss JJ's ass like most on this board. Great he's a fine singer but he wasn't Survivor.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby silvergirl66 » Wed May 16, 2007 12:01 pm

Hey Snafrovivrus Jack Smack Daddy! LOL! I'm so happy your here:) I missed you so much!!!
silvergirl66
LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Wed May 16, 2007 1:02 pm

jsmac32raider wrote: jsmac32raider wrote:

Am I right?

He he he he he. . . . . .Hey Justin, it's me, Jacksmack from the Survivor board. We used to chat it up all the time man. Remember me? Good to hear from you man. An anonymous source told me that you were going by MarcelJordan . . . . .

Anyways, yeah man - Take you on a Saturday is classic. If I had to choose 5 songs in which I think Dave's voice is just freakin' unbelievably strong, I suppose it would be (in no particular order): 1)Nothing can shake me from your love. . . 2)Heart's a Lonely Hunter (listen to the middle and the end of that song - it's scary how powerful the man's voice is). . . . .3)I'm Not That Man Anymore. . . . . . . .4)Eye of the Tiger. . . .5)Either Ever Since the World Began or Poor Man's Son. Dang!!!! I'm leaving so many out!. . . .Like "Silver Girl", "Hesitation Dance", "Whole Town's Talkin", "Light of a thousand smiles". . . . ..Shoot, I could go on and on and on and on!!!!

And JJ's voice was absolutely brilliant in Burning Bridges. To me, that's his most accomplished vocal to date. Damned good stuff. Classic Surivor song. Perfect song for Dave.

Oh man, the secrets out!

But let's not get started on diamond Dave he was the MAN! You've said it about Hearts a Lonely Hunter. Premonition is what I call an uncut diamond meant for greatness, but the powers that be (men in suits in this case), were just not good enough to promote this great edifice of rock brilliance! Believe it or not my other fav. personality Marc D. had a big hand in giving this record a huge kick with his preference where HE wanted the best sound for his brand of skin bashing!

I just don't kiss JJ's ass like most on this board. Great he's a fine singer but he wasn't Survivor

I have a different way of expressing that but I digress :wink:

With regards to Robin, I think he's just a great guy and that really helps the band, especially Marc D. (I can't imagine Survivor without him). I just get that vibe. Surely Robin's got a raw edge to him, for that I think Frankie finds will help the band move forward. Just need some new songs and we can then gauge things a bit better.

I must stress that overall, I feel its the BAND as a whole that's important, how well they gel. So far I like what I see.
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby 7 Wishes » Wed May 16, 2007 1:19 pm

Sorry, but there is only one Diamond Dave. Bickler is the man, but DLR is THE man.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Wed May 16, 2007 1:24 pm

7 Wishes wrote:Sorry, but there is only one Diamond Dave. Bickler is the man, but DLR is THE man.

That's why I put a small "d" :lol:

However, I always wonder why they called DLR, Dave when he's clearly Diamond David :twisted:
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Re: Why the Dave / JJ bashing?

Postby IngoK » Wed May 16, 2007 8:04 pm

jsmac32raider wrote:As for the constant bashing of the 2 singers by people around here. . . . . I don't get it. Perhaps I sound hypocrytical in saying that considering I've been rather harsh on Robin (without knowing much about him), but, the reality is that both Dave and JJ had incredible voices and both played roles in the type of music Survivor was playing at that particular time in the music industry. Let's face it, not a lot of AOR rock bands were putting out songs like "Hesitation Dance" during the time when "Search is over" was released. And conversely, there weren't a lot of rock bands putting out songs like "Is this love" during the era when "Nothing Can Shake Me" was released.

Good Point jsmac32raider. Have to agree.
IngoK
LP

Postby silvergirl66 » Thu May 17, 2007 12:50 am

MarcelJordan wrote:With regards to Robin, I think he's just a great guy and that really helps the band, especially Marc D. (I can't imagine Survivor without him). I just get that vibe. Surely Robin's got a raw edge to him, for that I think Frankie finds will help the band move forward. Just need some new songs and we can then gauge things a bit better.

I must stress that overall, I feel its the BAND as a whole that's important, how well they gel. So far I like what I see.

Hey MJ, I would have to agree with you on this. Robin is a class act. He does not have the style of voice of jimi or dave, he has his own style. He takes care of himself, he doesn't smoke or drink or do drugs, he's in great shape, he looks great. And though I've not seen him with Survivor live yet, I have some friends who have, several times, who were die hards, and this is what they say! He brings energy and fun to the shows and he's super, super friendly and professional. He goes out of his way to make everyone feel special and part of the show. If you go to the concert will it sound like the old records? NO, Will you have a blast??? YES!!! That's good enough for me right now.
silvergirl66
LP

Postby Eyeof » Thu May 17, 2007 1:13 am

Don't drink or smoke? Get this clown out of here....this is - cough, cough - Rock and F'n roll man....
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby silvergirl66 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:38 am

:)
silvergirl66
LP

Postby Slander » Thu May 17, 2007 7:44 am

[Hey MJ, I would have to agree with you on this. Robin is a class act. He does not have the style of voice of jimi or dave, he has his own style. He takes care of himself, he doesn't smoke or drink or do drugs, he's in great shape, he looks great. And though I've not seen him with Survivor live yet, I have some friends who have, several times, who were die hards, and this is what they say! He brings energy and fun to the shows and he's super, super friendly and professional. He goes out of his way to make everyone feel special and part of the show. If you go to the concert will it sound like the old records? NO, Will you have a blast??? YES!!! That's good enough for me right now.[/quote]

I think the showmanship is so important. I for one can't wait to hear Robin sing songs that were written for him. It will be a whole new chapter of Survivor. Silver what I hear from Business As Usual is terrific. These people who bash Frankie don't give him nearly enough credit for being a great producer. I for one hope they experiment with some blues. Just me. I like to hear some serious slinging of the axe by Mr. Sullivan.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Thu May 17, 2007 7:56 am

MarcelJordan wrote:

Exactly. It is great to see the band so positive. Robin has been nothing short of a shot of adrenaline for the group. I for one think 2007 has been a great success so far.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Thu May 17, 2007 1:17 pm

silvergirl66 wrote:
MarcelJordan wrote:With regards to Robin, I think he's just a great guy and that really helps the band, especially Marc D. (I can't imagine Survivor without him). I just get that vibe. Surely Robin's got a raw edge to him, for that I think Frankie finds will help the band move forward. Just need some new songs and we can then gauge things a bit better.

Hey MJ, I would have to agree with you on this. Robin is a class act. He does not have the style of voice of jimi or dave, he has his own style. He takes care of himself, he doesn't smoke or drink or do drugs, he's in great shape, he looks great. And though I've not seen him with Survivor live yet, I have some friends who have, several times, who were die hards, and this is what they say! He brings energy and fun to the shows and he's super, super friendly and professional. He goes out of his way to make everyone feel special and part of the show. If you go to the concert will it sound like the old records? NO, Will you have a blast??? YES!!! That's good enough for me right now.

You bet. See to me Robin is not trying to be DB nor JJ. He's being HIMSELF, not a clone, not a dead ringer, sound-a-like, etc. He pulls in the crowd and modest but surely a true blue rocker.
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby silvergirl66 » Fri May 18, 2007 1:57 am

jsmac32raider wrote:Anyways, yeah man - Take you on a Saturday is classic. If I had to choose 5 songs in which I think Dave's voice is just freakin' unbelievably strong, I suppose it would be (in no particular order): 1)Nothing can shake me from your love. . . 2)Heart's a Lonely Hunter (listen to the middle and the end of that song - it's scary how powerful the man's voice is). . . . .3)I'm Not That Man Anymore. . . . . . . .4)Eye of the Tiger. . . .5)Either Ever Since the World Began or Poor Man's Son. Dang!!!! I'm leaving so many out!. . . .Like "Silver Girl", "Hesitation Dance", "Whole Town's Talkin", "Light of a thousand smiles". . . . ..Shoot, I could go on and on and on and on!!!!

Jack, what's your favorite Dave album? I love Premonition with the debut a close second. But I just love Dave's vocals on Premonition especially Saturday, Hearts and Love is on my Side. Marc is most excellent on drums there too! Have you downloaded the live in Highland off here yet?????
silvergirl66
LP

Postby Slander » Fri May 18, 2007 2:08 am

silvergirl66 wrote:
jsmac32raider wrote:Anyways, yeah man - Take you on a Saturday is classic. If I had to choose 5 songs in which I think Dave's voice is just freakin' unbelievably strong, I suppose it would be (in no particular order): 1)Nothing can shake me from your love. . . 2)Heart's a Lonely Hunter (listen to the middle and the end of that song - it's scary how powerful the man's voice is). . . . .3)I'm Not That Man Anymore. . . . . . . .4)Eye of the Tiger. . . .5)Either Ever Since the World Began or Poor Man's Son. Dang!!!! I'm leaving so many out!. . . .Like "Silver Girl", "Hesitation Dance", "Whole Town's Talkin", "Light of a thousand smiles". . . . ..Shoot, I could go on and on and on and on!!!!

Jack, what's your favorite Dave album? I love Premonition with the debut a close second. But I just love Dave's vocals on Premonition especially Saturday, Hearts and Love is on my Side. Marc is most excellent on drums there too! Have you downloaded the live in Highland off here yet?????

Silver, Preomonition is overlooked in the Survivor catalog. I don't think there is a bad track on the album. Light of A Thousand Smiles is a track I wish they would do in concert. Runway Lights is a terrific track two. It reminds me of Wait For Me by Hall and Oates.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Rockindeano » Fri May 18, 2007 2:35 am

Who gives a shit?
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Slander » Fri May 18, 2007 2:39 am

RockinDeano wrote:Who gives a shit?

Dude who fucking asked you? Now go take your ritalin.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Eyeof » Fri May 18, 2007 2:40 am

I do...what of it...
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)