April Wine

Loverboy, Triumph, Coney Hatch, Kim Mitchell, Tom Cochrane, Glass Tiger...the list goes on...

Moderator: Andrew

April Wine

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:42 am

Canada's best rock band is April Wine, hands down. Not even close!
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby RockInDetroit » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:45 am

Another great Canadian Band. The best....I am not sure. One of the best definitely. Have never seen them live, they are another Canadian band that tends to focus in only on Canada.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:49 am

RockInDetroit wrote:Another great Canadian Band. The best....I am not sure. One of the best definitely. Have never seen them live, they are another Canadian band that tends to focus in only on Canada.

I saw them play here in '91, they rocked the hell out of the theater. Goodwyn still has the great voice.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby 7 Wishes » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:54 pm

Ummm...the best? That's highly debatable. Rush? Loverboy? Harem Scarem? Bryan Adams? I don't think so. But you're entitled to your opinion.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Re: April Wine

Postby Deb » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:10 am

RaiderFan wrote:Canada's best rock band is April Wine, hands down. Not even close!

Agree, definately in my top 3. Saw April Wine and Triumph many times way back in the day and both put on great LIVE shows. :D

Sorry NM, but when it comes to talent and great songs, April Wine was head and shoulders above Loverboy.
Now Playing: Green Tinted Sixties Mind - Live. https://youtu.be/e9YPFXVNINU?si=zDfcdUBpoaDSatLG
Deb
MP3

Re: April Wine

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:57 am

Deb wrote:
RaiderFan wrote:Canada's best rock band is April Wine, hands down. Not even close!

Agree, definately in my top 3. Saw April Wine and Triumph many times way back in the day and both put on great LIVE shows. :D

Sorry NM, but when it comes to talent and great songs, April Wine was head and shoulders above Loverboy.

Loverboy's good too. I have all their stuff and am looking forward to their new release next month.
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby 7 Wishes » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:36 am

RaiderFan, me too. It's gonna flat-out smoke.

IMO, you take the ten best Loverboy songs, they SMOKE the ten best April Wine songs. "Nature of the Beast" was a great record, though.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:53 am

Naughtius Maximus wrote:RaiderFan, me too. It's gonna flat-out smoke.

IMO, you take the ten best Loverboy songs, they SMOKE the ten best April Wine songs. "Nature of the Beast" was a great record, though.

You gotta go back a little farther to find their best rock stuff. Check out "oowhatanite" and "Don't Push Me Around" from the Stand Back cd. Great rock off of the "Whole World's Goin' Crazy" cd, too.
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Deb » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:23 am

Naughtius Maximus wrote:RaiderFan, me too. It's gonna flat-out smoke.

Don't get me wrong, I like Loverboy. But sorry, give me an April Wine greatest hits cd over a Loverboy greatest hits cd anyday! And I agree Raider, the earlier stuff is the best.
Deb
MP3

Postby RockInDetroit » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:34 pm

Very close but I take Loverboy.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Real rock fan » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:17 pm

April Wine and Loverboy were both great bands.

April Wine - Harder..Faster, Nature Of The Beast

Loverboy - S/T, Get Lucky

Some great albums

My personal pick would be Loverboy

None of it really matters though :)
Real rock fan
Ol' 78

Postby RedWingFan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:01 pm

I guess I tend to give April Wine more cred cuz they never went w/ the leather pants and lasers w/ their stage shows. They just came out and played rock n roll like an old time band.
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby RockInDetroit » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:49 pm

RaiderFan wrote:I guess I tend to give April Wine more cred cuz they never went w/ the leather pants and lasers w/ their stage shows. They just came out and played rock n roll like an old time band.

We are talking music here. Leatherpants...whatever who cares. Lasers....what was wrong with that. Loverboy gave the fans a little more than just straight ahead rock. When you pay bucks to see a concert you should also expect a show. My problem with Loverboy...although I give them the edge was that after Get Lucky each album got a little worse and worse. I liked Keep It Up a lot but it wasn't as good as Get Lucky. After that Loverboy lost a little.

Speaking of Loverboy, I was in Canada over the past few days and they are playing the new Loverboy song on the radio. I think it is called The One That Got Away. Nice ballad.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby RedWingFan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:00 pm

RockInDetroit wrote:
RaiderFan wrote:I guess I tend to give April Wine more cred cuz they never went w/ the leather pants and lasers w/ their stage shows. They just came out and played rock n roll like an old time band.

We are talking music here. Leatherpants...whatever who cares. Lasers....what was wrong with that. Loverboy gave the fans a little more than just straight ahead rock. When you pay bucks to see a concert you should also expect a show. My problem with Loverboy...although I give them the edge was that after Get Lucky each album got a little worse and worse. I liked Keep It Up a lot but it wasn't as good as Get Lucky. After that Loverboy lost a little.

Speaking of Loverboy, I was in Canada over the past few days and they are playing the new Loverboy song on the radio. I think it is called The One That Got Away. Nice ballad.

I heard the sample clip Andrew had on his site and the song sounded great. Can't wait to pick it up. Their sales and airplay did drop after '83 but I actually thought their "Wildside" cd was one of their better outings.
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby RockInDetroit » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:09 pm

RaiderFan wrote:
RockInDetroit wrote:

I heard the sample clip Andrew had on his site and the song sounded great. Can't wait to pick it up. Their sales and airplay did drop after '83 but I actually thought their "Wildside" cd was one of their better outings.

Wildside was ok. I think they got further away from their best sound though. They began sounding like Bon Jovi around the time of Lovin Every Minute of It and Wildside.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Uno_up » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:14 am

Has anyone seen these guys recently? I've got tix to a show in a few weeks and would like to see a set list of sorts so I can download a few more tunes they might be playing (as all I have now is NOTB). The wife is much happier at a concert if she can sing along, even if she can't carry a tune.
Uno_up
Cassette Tape

Return to Canadian Rock Bands