How JSS Saved My Life (Never Turn Down a Starburst!)

All past and current talk for MelodicRockFest 1, 2 and 3?

Moderator: Andrew

How JSS Saved My Life (Never Turn Down a Starburst!)

Postby RossValoryRocks » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:41 am

Ok...this as funny as it sounds...is a completely TRUE story from South Bend.

It starts off like this...I got a minute to talk with Jeff and his lovely wife before his set...some other fans came up and Jeff being the consumate professional asked my indulgence to speak with them. So I continued chatting with his wife. Rebecca (hope I spelled that right, if not someone let me know and I will edit it) reached into her purse and pulled out a pack of Starburst candy and offered me one. I gladly accepted as I was a bit parched from the festivities from the night before and little spit generation seemed to be a good thing.

So I pop the Starburst into my mouth and being chewing as we chatted. All of the sudden I notice the Starburst had gotten very hard to chew...and that was because it had pulled off a crown!

Rebecca was aghast, and began appologizing to me. I was explained that it was completely my fault and not to worry. I peeled off the chewed Starburst...went and washed the crown off and popped it back in, and went on with the festivities, figuring I would get to my dentist when we got back and have it reattached correctly.

So this morning I am eating a piece of candy (you would thing I would learn my lesson!), and I cracked off some of the porcellin. This made chewing completely uncomfortable. I called my dentist, which I was going to do anyways and tried to get an appointment, no luck. So a co-worker explained her dentist was tops and to give him a call maybe I could get in. Luckily he had a cancellation, so at 2:00pm I was sitting in his chair.

He took some X-Rays noticed something funny there and said that he thought I had cracked one of the roots under the crown and that the tooth would have to come out and I would need a bridge. YAY! :evil: :roll:

So he starts the extraction, everything goes well and when he is done he tells me this: "I didn't want to alarm you while I was working, but you had the worst infection underneath the cap of the root canal I had ever seen. I don't know how you weren't in excruciating pain, and if it had gone on much longer it could have spread enough cause serious facial disfigurement or even to kill you."

Pleasant news to hear! NOT. The infection loosened the connection between the crown and the cap over the root canal, and that had I never eating the star burst I may NEVER have known about the infection until it was too late.

So THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Jeff and Rebecca for coming to South Bend, and Rebecca for giving me the Starburst! You may have saved my life!

Funny how fate works huh?
Last edited by RossValoryRocks on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
RossValoryRocks
Stereo LP

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:44 am

There is reason in everything that happens. Random is intentional. Life will always kick your ass with surprises. 8)

Glad to hear you didn't get disfigured though, Stu. Great story.
Rhiannon
MP3

Postby RossValoryRocks » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:49 am

Blue Radio Girl wrote:There is reason in everything that happens. Random is intentional. Life will always kick your ass with surprises. 8)

Glad to hear you didn't get disfigured though, Stu. Great story.

Yeah it was DEFINATELY a surprise. I am glad I am not disfigured too! LOL I am homely enough as is!

On the plus side...I get VICODIN for a bit! LOL

Not sure how some of my posts later are gonna turn out! So forgive me in advance! ;)
RossValoryRocks
Stereo LP

Re: How JSS Saved My Life (Never Turn Down a Starburst!)

Postby ieie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:50 am

RossValoryRocks wrote:Ok...this as funny as it sounds...is a completely TRUE story from South Bend.

It starts off like this...I got a minute to talk with Jeff and his lovely wife before his set...some other fans came up and Jeff being the consumate professional asked my indulgence to speak with them. So I continued chatting with his wife. Rebecca (hope I spelled that right, if not someone let me know and I will edit it) reached into her purse and pulled out a pack of Starburst candy and offered me one. I gladly accepted as I was a bit parched from the festivities from the night before and little spit generation seemed to be a good thing.

So I pop the Starburst into my mouth and being chewing as we chatted. All of the sudden I notice the Starburst had gotten very hard to chew...and that was because it had pulled off a crown!

Rebecca was aghast, and began appologizing to me. I was explained that it was completely my fault and not to worry. I peeled off the chewed Starburst...went and washed the crown off and popped it back in, and went on with the festivities, figuring I would get to my dentist when we got back and have it reattached correctly.

So this morning I am eating a piece of candy (you would thing I would learn my lesson!), and I cracked off some of the porcellin. This made chewing completely uncomfortable. I called my dentist, which I was going to do anyways and tried to get an appointment, no luck. So a co-worker explained her dentist was tops and to give him a call maybe I could get in. Luckily he had a cancellation, so at 2:00pm I was sitting in his chair.

He took some X-Rays noticed something funny there and said that he thought I had cracked one of the roots under the crown and that the tooth would have to come out and I would need a bridge. YAY! :evil: :roll:

So he starts the extraction, everything goes well and when he is done he tells me this: "I didn't want to alarm you while I was working, but you had the worst infection underneath the cap of the root canal I had ever seen. I don't know how you weren't in excruciating pain, and if it had gone on much longer it could have spread enough cause serious facial disfigurement or even to kill you."

Pleasant news to hear! NOT. The infection loosened the connection between the crown and the cap over the root canal, and that had I never eating the star burst I may NEVER have known about the infection until it was too late.

So THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Jeff and Rebecca for coming to South Bend, and Rebecca for giving me the Starburst! You may have saved my life!

Funny how fate works huh?

JEZUZ!!!!
ieie

Postby AR » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:51 am

Stu I have a molar crown with the porcelein chipped off. I want to have it fixed. However the tooth with the cap behind it is cold sensitive and I know needs a root canal (which will be my third).

I've had two abscesses, and one infection could have killed me. I totally get what you are saying. Right now I feel almost qualified to be a dentist. :lol:
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Just Mindy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:30 am

OMG Stu that's some story...funny how things work sometimes. I'm going in tomorrow for an extraction, 2 actually, one due to a bad infection under a crown, the other, just bad news. I hope I get good drugs too. :lol: I'm getting a bridge too btw :?
Just Mindy
Stereo LP

Postby RossValoryRocks » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:38 am

Just Mindy wrote:OMG Stu that's some story...funny how things work sometimes. I'm going in tomorrow for an extraction, 2 actually, one due to a bad infection under a crown, the other, just bad news. I hope I get good drugs too. :lol: I'm getting a bridge too btw :?

OH NO it's becoming an epidemic! ;)
Last edited by RossValoryRocks on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RossValoryRocks
Stereo LP

Postby donnaplease » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:47 am

Stu, we have a woman at the facility where I work who was hospitalized due to a brain tumor. She received 2 or 3 doses of radiation before the doctors realized that it was in fact NOT a brain tumor, but multiple abcesses in her brain due to an infection that started as a tooth abcess. YUK!!!

I'm so glad you're okay, we certainly want to keep you around for a little while longer... :wink:
donnaplease
Stereo LP

Postby Blondie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:08 pm

OMG! :shock: Who knew a tooth infection could kill a person!?! Glad to hear you are okay.

So maybe Starburst should be the official MR candy...and it's slogan: "It could save your life". Hmmm...you think Life Savers
would be pissed? :P :lol:
"I still cling to hope, and I believe in love and that's faith enough for me"-RUSH

"Life's too short to be a dumbass" - Me

www.myspace.com/blondiesc
Blondie
8 Track

Postby RossValoryRocks » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:14 pm

donnaplease wrote:Stu, we have a woman at the facility where I work who was hospitalized due to a brain tumor. She received 2 or 3 doses of radiation before the doctors realized that it was in fact NOT a brain tumor, but multiple abcesses in her brain due to an infection that started as a tooth abcess. YUK!!!

I'm so glad you're okay, we certainly want to keep you around for a little while longer... :wink:

Just a LITTLE???
RossValoryRocks
Stereo LP

Postby Granny » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:16 pm

Stu, I sure am glad that u are OK.. how about an tooth implant instead of a bridge? I have 3 and they are great...feel like your own teeth!
Carol

Granny
Stereo LP

Postby mistiejourney » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:41 pm

That is freaking scary! Glad to hear that everything is okay! Ugh! Vicodin can be a friend, let me tell you! :shock:

Kim in CA : )
mistiejourney
Cassette Tape

Postby belar » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:01 am

Holy crap, Stu! Glad to hear you're OK. It would really have been a downer if you had died at the show... :shock:
belar
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:34 am

Glad to hear you're ok, dude. BUT...I'd start bowing down to Bec for saving your life. :lol:
Liam

"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get it, and keep goin'." - Rocky
Liam
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:00 am

There's this new invention you all may want to look into.

NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Liam » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:04 am

NealIsGod wrote:There's this new invention you all may want to look into.

NIG...I just wanna call you a pussy for not showing up. :lol:

Hope your wife's ok, dude. :-)
Liam

"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get it, and keep goin'." - Rocky
Liam
MP3

Postby Just Mindy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:35 am

Oh, HUSH, you :roll: :lol:
Just Mindy
Stereo LP

Postby RossValoryRocks » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:11 am

Hardee Fuckin' Har Har!

Hey NIG, do you know how hard it is to play guitar with 10 broken fingers?? Keep it up and you will find out PERSONALLY! ;)
Last edited by RossValoryRocks on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
RossValoryRocks
Stereo LP

Postby Moon Beam » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:31 am

Sorry to see you went through all that Stu but it's great to know
that you'll be ok.
So Sir Soto's wifeys gum actually saved ya from more harm huh?, nice that she is not
only pleasant but helpful as well.

Nig, Hubby Bub and I got giggles from
that last crack up......thanks. :lol:
Nice to see ya in here Sir.
http://moonbeamsmindgrounds.blogspot.com/
Good, Bad Or Ugly, Live It, Love It Or Leave It.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Postby NealIsGod » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 am

Moon Beam wrote:Nig, Hubby Bub and I got giggles from

Thanks. Trying to fight off severe depression.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Indyjoe » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:36 am

NealIsGod wrote:

Win that fight, kick its butt big time!! I hope you feel better Nig :)

~Wendy
Indyjoe
8 Track

Postby treetopovskaya » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:15 am

you're not alone nealisgod... all of us who missed out are feeling a bit blue. it does feel much better hearing stories & seeing pics (and vids!)... knowing people had lots of fun. hope your wife is feeling better. what a nice guy for staying home with her... that was sweet. }:C)

i just got back from the dentist. i had a little accident last week and hurt one of my front teeth. i need chicklets! wah!! }:C(( also they found a cavity just like rvr... so i guess falling on my face saved my life... tho they caught mine really early. it's sad because i'm the one in my family that was/is always brushing & flossing... for what i ask?! it's a lie... nothing can save you! there is no timmy the tooth! it was all just a scam!!

heh! }:CPP

Indyjoe wrote:
NealIsGod wrote:

Win that fight, kick its butt big time!! I hope you feel better Nig :)

~Wendy
treetopovskaya
Stereo LP

Postby larryfromnextdoor » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:03 am

stu!,, how was that breath latley? 8) great story man!!! i sure missed out...
larryfromnextdoor
MP3

Postby Ms_M » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:44 am

NealIsGod wrote:

I was fighting it off, too, when I found out you weren't with us, Nig... Hope all is well on the home front.
Ms_M
Stereo LP

Postby Indyjoe » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:09 am

Ms_M. I love your avatar!!!! :D What does it say on the first cat picture?

~Wendy
Indyjoe
8 Track

Postby Moon Beam » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:14 am

Ms_M wrote:I was fighting it off, too, when I found out you weren't with us, Nig... Hope all is well on the home front.

See Nig I told ya you was missed muchly by the MR Fest goers!

Man there were quite a few of ya that I would have loved to share shakes with.
I am grateful though that we got the ones we did with those who were there.
http://moonbeamsmindgrounds.blogspot.com/
Good, Bad Or Ugly, Live It, Love It Or Leave It.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Ms_M » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:10 pm

Indyjoe wrote:Ms_M. I love your avatar!!!! :D What does it say on the first cat picture?

~Wendy

Thanks! The first cat is looking guilty and saying - "I made you a cookie. But I eated it." LOVE THAT ONE!!!
Ms_M
Stereo LP

Return to MelodicRockFest