Not impressed

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Not impressed

Postby E5C4P3ING » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Maybe it was the internet connection, but I thought Arnel Pineda's performance tonight in Chile was mediocre. He certainly is able to mimick (almost parrot like) some of Steve Perry's sound, but he cannot touch Steve's soul!

Sorry boys.
E5C4P3ING
Ol' 78

Postby slucero » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:35 pm

well of course yer not impressed...

and yet again... thousands of people thought he and the band were great...

... but what do they know...

:roll:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby melodico » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:47 pm

For me was sensational! Arnel Pineda is the new Steve Perry, congratulations man!!
melodico
Radio Waves

Postby Perrydise » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:50 pm

melodico wrote:For me was sensational! Arnel Pineda is the new Steve Perry, congratulations man!!

LMFAO

Thanks I needed a really good laugh after a long day!
When in doubt, DUCK!
Perrydise
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey69 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:54 pm

Here comes the Perry loon threads.. Too funny,you idiots are the same ones that tell everyone you won't go to a concert,and your not interested,but yet you streamed it and bashed it.. We all know it was free asshat's doesn't mean your were going to give it a chance reguardless,you weren't..You dolt's were hoping he would suck..I feel sorry for you..
Journey69
8 Track

Postby slucero » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:54 pm

melodico wrote:For me was sensational! Arnel Pineda is the new Steve Perry, congratulations man!!

...well.... I wouldn't go THAT far....

he has the physical tools... just as Perry did in the early days.... Arnel will get more vocal coaching, and he'll get more comfortable as time goes on... which will ALSO relax his voice and allow that better tone to be more prevalent....

Listen to the WITS on youtube.... at the very end he hits some amazing, clean high notes... not forced... just "Round"

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby treetopovskaya » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:56 pm

people said the same thing about jss. to get the real feel you have to go to a live show. these boots don't do anyone any justice. jss was a thousand times better than any boot. you have to give arnel time... for crying out loud it's his first show! he'll just get better...
treetopovskaya
Stereo LP

Postby pinkvelvet » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:01 pm

My boyfriend likes Journey, but not following on whats going on with them. While I was watching the show, he said that if he was just sitting on the couch and I played it, he wouldnt have known it wasnt Perry.
pinkvelvet
Ol' 78

Re: .

Postby conversationpc » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:02 pm

pinkvelvet wrote:My boyfriend likes Journey, but not following on whats going on with them. While I was watching the show, he said that if he was just sitting on the couch and I played it, he wouldnt have known it wasnt Perry.

Truthfully, Arnel's performance wasn't that much worse, if any, than a lot of ROR boots I've heard.
My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby Perrydise » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:03 pm

Arnel is NOT the new Steve Perry. Get a grip. They are 2 separate individuals. Arnel will probably not have the huge success and the "legacy" sound that put Journey on the map. Hell even Augeri couldnt do it. JSS, if given the chance would have taken this band to a new level. I dont think Arnel has what it takes.
When in doubt, DUCK!
Perrydise
Cassette Tape

Postby Saint John » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:03 pm

I gave the show a D+ or C-. I understand it's his first show, too. I really think he lost a lot of vocal technique during the "rockers" because of anxiety and adrenaline. When things were slowed down though, he did very well on the ballads. Time should correct the adrenaline/anxiety issues. There were glimpses of vocal greatness and glimpses of vocal "greenness." I think it's going to take him 15-25 shows to get a feel for the way the crowd's energy and setting affect his delivery. Once he harnesses these things he should be fine. While it certainly wasn't great, it wasn't bad for a first show.
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby ProgRocker53 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:06 pm

ProgRocker53
Stereo LP

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Journey69 wrote:Here comes the Perry loon threads.. Too funny,you idiots are the same ones that tell everyone you won't go to a concert,and your not interested,but yet you streamed it and bashed it.. We all know it was free asshat's doesn't mean your were going to give it a chance reguardless,you weren't..You dolt's were hoping he would suck..I feel sorry for you..

You know, I don't think I have ever said this to anyone on this board before no matter how much I disagreed with them, but there's a first time for everything.... fuck off.

YOU are the one who keeps dragging Perry's name into this and bashing people and calling them names for not liking Arnel. I was not impressed, period. That's my opinion and I have as much right to it as you have to enjoy him. I wasn't impressed much with Augeri on the old Journey material either. But I did like JSS. It's not about fucking Perry, leave him out of it. I have the ability to appreciate other singers individually and this one didn't do much for me.

Chain Reaction sounded like he spent two hours with an iPod replaying it over and over and it came out like note for note impression with nothing individual about it. Open Arms was alright except for the diction problems. Stone In Love was horrible. What I was able to catch of Lights was okay. Sure, there were moments of "Well okat it's not bad lets see where it goes..." but not enough of them to make me fall in love and want to blow him on the spot like you. :roll: Chill the fuck out. If you don't want to hear or read unfavorable opinions then get off this board, stop reading threads and go find an "Arnholio" message board. Or start one. :roll:
bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby Perrydise » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:13 pm

bluejeangirl76 wrote:
Journey69 wrote:Here comes the Perry loon threads.. Too funny,you idiots are the same ones that tell everyone you won't go to a concert,and your not interested,but yet you streamed it and bashed it.. We all know it was free asshat's doesn't mean your were going to give it a chance reguardless,you weren't..You dolt's were hoping he would suck..I feel sorry for you..

You know, I don't think I have ever said this to anyone on this board before no matter how much I disagreed with them, but there's a first time for everything.... fuck off.

YOU are the one who keeps dragging Perry's name into this and bashing people and calling them names for not liking Arnel. I was not impressed, period. That's my opinion and I have as much right to it as you have to enjoy him. I wasn't impressed much with Augeri on the old Journey material either. But I did like JSS. It's not about fucking Perry, leave him out of it. I have the ability to appreciate other singers individually and this one didn't do much for me.

Chain Reaction sounded like he spent two hours with an iPod replaying it over and over and it came out like note for note impression with nothing individual about it. Open Arms was alright except for the diction problems. Stone In Love was horrible. What I was able to catch of Lights was okay. Sure, there were moments of "Well okat it's not bad lets see where it goes..." but not enough of them to make me fall in love and want to blow him on the spot like you. :roll: Chill the fuck out. If you don't want to hear or read unfavorable opinions then get off this board, stop reading threads and go find an "Arnholio" message board. Or start one. :roll:

BRAVO
By Jove I think she has it.

"Arnholio" now that is just down right funny, you need to patent that!
When in doubt, DUCK!
Perrydise
Cassette Tape

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Journey69's right.

That's EXACTLY what happened.

Loondom in unison (as with Augeri) invaded the boards and stuck their noses up and vowed boycotts and then fucking near crashed the shit dowloading the show with towels clenched between their teeth I mean bridges to bite down through the pain of yet another very credible threat to the precious "legacy." :lol:
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby conversationpc » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Red13JoePa wrote:Journey69's right.

Loondom in unison (as with Augeri) invaded the boards and stuck their noses up and vowed boycotts and then fucking near crashed the shit dowloading the show with towels clenched between their teeth I mean bridges to bite down through the pain of yet another very credible threat to the precious "legacy." :lol:

You are the king of visuals my friend. :lol:
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:50 pm

conversationpc wrote:

Yeah, if you can read upside down or backwards.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby stevew2 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:54 pm

Rockindeano wrote:
conversationpc wrote:

It sucked and you you know it did
stevew2
MP3

Postby conversationpc » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:54 pm

Rockindeano wrote:
conversationpc wrote:

At least it's not like trying to read Moon Beam's pig latin. :lol:
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:00 pm

stevew2 wrote:
Rockindeano wrote:
conversationpc wrote:

It sucked and you you know it did

I didn't even listen to the shit I'm just loving watching the loons and Frig/Fro bashers come out of the WOODwork and try to stamp this out IMMEDIATELY.
Pretty pathetic actually, but the band is popping coldies right now and looking forward to next show
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:07 pm

stevew2 wrote:It sucked and you you know it did

No, it didn't. It was damn good for his first performance with Journey. He had to be a nervous wreck, that's to be expected. He blew the lines to Faithfully, a song he's probably sang 500+ times. That tells me he was scared shitless. He will not only do better, he'll do much better.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:09 pm

Rockindeano wrote:
conversationpc wrote:

Pop your ritalin, dude and take more that 3 seconds to get through a post.

My post made perfect satirical sense, but like JEFF SCOTT SOTO HIMSELF told you (I witness) you have FUCK awful patience. That, plus your blinded anymore by this mr p teabagging agenda that's really unbecoming

DaveCt got though it and picked right up on it just fine.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby T-TIME » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:17 pm

Guys. I love them. They have been in my life everyday for decades but that was absolutely horrible. SAINT JOHN I hope you saved my pm with my prediction. He will not make a full tour. At his age you have to sing naturally. All those forced notes and impressions will haunt him bad. I'm praying for early show jitters but no way, no way. I'll still be there for them but if those performances was on fox tv either of the last two nights.... Arnel would have went home. Hope he pulls through.
T-TIME
Ol' 78

Postby Saint John » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:26 pm

T-TIME wrote:Guys. I love them. They have been in my life everyday for decades but that was absolutely horrible. SAINT JOHN I hope you saved my pm with my prediction. He will not make a full tour. At his age you have to sing naturally. All those forced notes and impressions will haunt him bad. I'm praying for early show jitters but no way, no way. I'll still be there for them but if those performances was on fox tv either of the last two nights.... Arnel would have went home. Hope he pulls through.

All things considered I graded the show a D+ or C-. I heard what you heard also...but I will say this. The sound was TERRIBLE on the live feed. If you listen to the audience recordings and some of the youtubes, it's much better. I predicted that he'd need 15-25 shows to be ready and I'm sticking with that number. People need to remember that he was removed from his continent, recorded a new album, re-recorded the greatest hits, took diction lessons and had to learn new lyrics to songs like Edge Of The Blade and Rubicon. That's an awful lot for someone to do. People need to be a little more patient before they form an opinion. Shit, I've gotten C's and D's on my first test in college classes but still manged to pull out an A or B as my final grade. But it didn't happen overnight. :wink:
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby T-TIME » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Saint John wrote:
T-TIME wrote:Guys. I love them. They have been in my life everyday for decades but that was absolutely horrible. SAINT JOHN I hope you saved my pm with my prediction. He will not make a full tour. At his age you have to sing naturally. All those forced notes and impressions will haunt him bad. I'm praying for early show jitters but no way, no way. I'll still be there for them but if those performances was on fox tv either of the last two nights.... Arnel would have went home. Hope he pulls through.

All things considered I graded the show a D+ or C-. I heard what you heard also...but I will say this. The sound was TERRIBLE on the live feed. If you listen to the audience recordings and some of the youtubes, it's much better. I predicted that he'd need 15-25 shows to be ready and I'm sticking with that number. People need to remember that he was removed from his continent, recorded a new album, re-recorded the greatest hits, took diction lessons and had to learn new lyrics to songs like Edge Of The Blade and Rubicon. That's an awful lot for someone to do. People need to be a little more patient before they form an opinion. Shit, I've gotten C's and D's on my first test in college classes but still manged to pull out an A or B as my final grade. But it didn't happen overnight. :wink:

You are correct. I just thought that high grades on those songs was a stretch. I'll still be there for a handful of shows. Even if that little fucker spits broken glass.
T-TIME
Ol' 78

Postby Saint John » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:33 pm

T-TIME wrote:
Saint John wrote:

You are correct. I just thought that high grades on those songs was a stretch. I'll still be there for a handful of shows. Even if that little fucker spits broken glass.

At times I heard a guy abandoning vocal technique and trying too hard. That will lessen with each show.
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:35 pm

T-TIME wrote:Even if that little fucker spits broken glass.

Literally or the Annie Lennox song? :wink:

I wasn't blown out of the water either, but I'll agree the audio on the stream sucked donkeys. All live streams generally do. If anyone is serious about the band and their 'fanship' or even 'following'... (even those that say they suck and are done with them have to keep coming back to say so, which constitutes as 'following') they will give it a few months of shows, YouTubes, and actual studio sound before they can say for sure. Either way, Journey has a singer and they're touring.
Rhiannon
MP3

Postby T-TIME » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:38 pm

Rhiannon wrote:

I wasn't blown out of the water either, but I'll agree the audio on the stream sucked donkeys. All live streams generally do. If anyone is serious about the band and their 'fanship' or even 'following'... (even those that say they suck and are done with them have to keep coming back to say so, which constitutes as 'following') they will give it a few months of shows, YouTubes, and actual studio sound before they can say for sure. Either way, Journey has a singer and they're touring.

Here, Here! Let the lady speak.
T-TIME
Ol' 78

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:40 pm

Rhiannon wrote:

That's what I'm talkin about! I STILL wish it were JSS out front, but since that's not possible anymore, then I'm anxious to see how AP improves over time.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Life/music/people/etc. is what we make of it. We can choose to bitch and complain about not having control over something that it is outlandish to think we could control to begin with. :roll: ...OR, you can accept that what you want doesn't make a damn and choose to enjoy what is. :)

Just like the only Journey playing in Vegas in two weeks. Show could suck, show could kill. Either way, those in attendance will have every opportunity to have the night(s) of his and/or her lives. :wink:
Rhiannon
MP3

Next

Return to Journey