WTF Not Get Chalfant

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

WTF Not Get Chalfant

Postby Aaron » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Dudes, Chalfant is a great singer and fuck only knows he needs a good band. Mick, when you get tired of listening to Lou's shite a half step down, make the call please.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Re: WTF Not Get Chalfant

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:45 am

Aaron wrote:Dudes, Chalfant is a great singer and fuck only knows he needs a good band. Mick, when you get tired of listening to Lou's shite a half step down, make the call please.

Kevin has mentioned that if he can't front Journey, he'd love to be in Survivor. Don't know if he ever considered Foreigner, but I'm sure he wouldn't turn it down.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Don » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Foreigner has been touring nonstop for five years. Can Kevin tour like that because it probably isn't going to slow down? Kelly also has tons of stage presence. He doesn't bounce around like Pineda but he reminds me of RockStars of old, plenty of energy on the stage.
If Foreigner changes their singer now they are done, there is no going forward if the guy they've been building a fanbase for the last five years gets canned.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby texafana » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:48 pm

Aaron wrote:Dudes, Chalfant is a great singer and fuck only knows he needs a good band. Mick, when you get tired of listening to Lou's shite a half step down, make the call please.

Oh please...they played half step down on some tunes with Lou back in the day. As much I like Chalfant, his highs are really sounding a bit thin now days. And what about those steps down on his Journey cover cd?
texafana
Cassette Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:59 pm

texafana wrote:

Oh please...they played half step down on some tunes with Lou back in the day. As much I like Chalfant, his highs are really sounding a bit thin now days. And what about those steps down on his Journey cover cd?

Agreed! How are you going to bitch about a guy singing some of their songs 1/2 step down, yet your solution is to replace him with someone who pretty much stands in one spot on stage and sings 1/2 STEP DOWN! :roll: That's pretty lame Aaron. KC may have been a good replacement for Perry after ROR, but his voice hasn't aged well. Also, he sounds NOTHING like Lou. Kelly is hands-down, the best replacement singer I've heard, and he's one hell of a frontman too. Great find on Mick's part.
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:53 am

G.I.Jim wrote:That's pretty lame Aaron. KC may have been a good replacement for Perry after ROR, but his voice hasn't aged well.

Do you have any 90s recordings of The Storm live? I do, and I think KC still sounds at the top of his game. Awesome voice. He sounds like he's barely aged at all.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby G.I.Jim » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:19 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:That's pretty lame Aaron. KC may have been a good replacement for Perry after ROR, but his voice hasn't aged well.

Do you have any 90s recordings of The Storm live? I do, and I think KC still sounds at the top of his game. Awesome voice. He sounds like he's barely aged at all.

We aren't IN the 90's anymore. His voice sounds thin and powerless, much like Hugo's. And again... he sounds NOTHING like Lou. That combo would sound like shit! I think he's a stand-up guy, and like I said, I think he would have been a good replacement for Perry right after ROR.
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:20 am

G.I.Jim wrote:We aren't IN the 90's anymore.

Not the point. Compared to old live bootlegs of The Storm, KC sounds very much the same today imo. He's one of the few AOR singers whose voice has preserved very well.
G.I.Jim wrote:His voice sounds thin and powerless, much like Hugo's.

Bullshit. On what planet does this sound anything remotely close to Hugo's weak falsetto whining? :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1955krdB4g
No comparison. I’m all in favor of honest criticism, but I swear, some of you guys seem to post just to bitch. Kevin and Kelly are both great in their own right.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby G.I.Jim » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:50 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:We aren't IN the 90's anymore.

Not the point. Compared to old live bootlegs of The Storm, KC sounds very much the same today imo. He's one of the few AOR singers whose voice has preserved very well.
G.I.Jim wrote:His voice sounds thin and powerless, much like Hugo's.

Bullshit. On what planet does this sound anything remotely close to Hugo's weak falsetto whining? :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1955krdB4g
No comparison. I’m all in favor of honest criticism, but I swear, some of you guys seem to post just to bitch. Kevin and Kelly are both great in their own right.

Ok, I stand corrected. I was a little harsh, but I was just ticked hearing someone slam Kelly for signing songs 1/2 step down, only to replace them with a singer who doesn't have NEAR the stage presence and ALSO sings everything down a half a step down. I was more referring to how he sounds nothing like Lou. He'd have been a TERRIBLE choice for Mick. Once again... I apologize, and you are the man. :wink:
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:11 am

G.I.Jim wrote:Ok, I stand corrected. I was a little harsh, but I was just ticked hearing someone slam Kelly for signing songs 1/2 step down, only to replace them with a singer who doesn't have NEAR the stage presence and ALSO sings everything down a half a step down. I was more referring to how he sounds nothing like Lou. He'd have been a TERRIBLE choice for Mick. Once again... I apologize, and you are the man. :wink:

I don't think KC is a good fit for Foreigner AT ALL. No need to throw the dude under the bus tho. Between this forum, the Journey forum, and the TOTO forum, it seems AOR fans love to eat their own. Lots of these guys are still GREAT singers. I'm def. with ya on Hugo sucking more than a hooker on nickel BJ night. :wink:
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby hoagiepete » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:04 am

Can't believe there has even been a discussion on KC being in Foreigner. Hanson is perfect for the job and does as good of job in concert as I have seen and heard in years...compared to any band (with the exception of Heart).

Have the naysayers seen Foreigner with Hanson? If not, I encourage them to do so.
hoagiepete
Cassette Tape

Postby Saint John » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:29 am

If Lou keeps progressing at the rate he has been for the past few years, we may see Mr. Gramm back for one last hurrah. :)

As for Kevin vs Kelly for the Foreigner job ... no comparison, Kelly is the perfect guy for the job and I've personally seen him get 80,000 people up and rocking.
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby UncleKG » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:37 am

Kelly Hansen is a monster singer live. I saw him on Labor Day weekend at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. It was hot as hell, no cover over the stage and the guy worked his butt off as both a frontman and a great vocalist. I was incredibly impressed with this lineup.
UncleKG
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:56 am

hoagiepete wrote:Have the naysayers seen Foreigner with Hanson? If not, I encourage them to do so.

I think most of the fanbase is now on-board with Kelly. I don't see much of the same Perry vs. Augeri tribalism that marked Journey's 1998 reformation.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby hoagiepete » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:04 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
hoagiepete wrote:Have the naysayers seen Foreigner with Hanson? If not, I encourage them to do so.

I think most of the fanbase is now on-board with Kelly. I don't see much of the same Perry vs. Augeri tribalism that marked Journey's 1998 reformation.

Do you think this is because of Hansen's sheer talent? He knocks it out of the park with his vocals and stage presence, while the Journey replacements have all been ok, but each having their own weaknesses. Or is it that Perry had a stronger following than Gramm? I guess it's a combination of both.
hoagiepete
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:44 am

hoagiepete wrote:Do you think this is because of Hansen's sheer talent? He knocks it out of the park with his vocals and stage presence, while the Journey replacements have all been ok, but each having their own weaknesses. Or is it that Perry had a stronger following than Gramm? I guess it's a combination of both.

I think your reasoning is strong. Also, Foreigner fans and Lou die-hards have the option of seeing Lou solo. No such luck with Perry, whose fans are left hanging for a mythical comeback. They then misguidedly take that frustration out on Neal or Jon for some reason.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara