New Neal Schon Interview

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby koberry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Arkansas wrote:So, I wonder if Kevin Shirley is looking at the album sales numbers and shaking his head in laughter.
NS got his way with this record. Would it have sold any better if Shirley did?
I wonder what conversations Shirley & Azoff have had in the past year.
Maybe the very reason that NS had to have his way, was exactly why it wasn't promoted.
????

later~

Interesting hypothesis...
koberry
45 RPM

Postby youkeepmewaiting » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Oh who cares or not, enough people out there love it to make it worth while. I hope the Journey guys agree
youkeepmewaiting
Cassette Tape

Postby Michigan Girl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:47 pm

VirgilTheart wrote:Wow. Reading that interview made me really hate Kevin Shirley even more than I already did previously.
Really?!?! Do the two of you have a past?!?

Good interview!!They primarily stuck to what Neal knows ...guitars/this lp!
No bashing previous members ... :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Deb » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:25 am

Gideon wrote:
portland wrote:I guess it's a personal taste/ear thing.... :?

Kinda like Perry being the best singer ever, right? :lol:

IMO, in his prime, he was. I still have yet to hear a more perfect pitch/tone/delivery than Perry's especially around the Escape/Frontiers/ROR era. Everytime I hear Only The Young come on the radio, it still amazes me to this day what a damn near perfect vocal tone/timbre he had.
Now Playing: Green Tinted Sixties Mind - Live. https://youtu.be/e9YPFXVNINU?si=zDfcdUBpoaDSatLG
Deb
MP3

Postby conversationpc » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:06 am

Deb wrote:
Gideon wrote:

IMO, in his prime, he was. I still have yet to hear a more perfect pitch/tone/delivery than Perry's especially around the Escape/Frontiers/ROR era. Everytime I hear Only The Young come on the radio, it still amazes me to this day what a damn near perfect vocal tone/timbre he had.

I've heard a ton of boots of Lou Gramm also...That dude was pretty good, too, even up through the "Mr. Moonlight" tour in '94-'95.
My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby JRNYFan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:41 am

Shirley's reply:

Neal Schon. Amazing guitarist and musician!
Candid he is.
Entirely accurate? Well...
I still love him. Like a sister.
JRNYFan
LP

Postby Toph » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:41 pm

Didn't realize that Neal was a Coke-head...disappointing...
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby steveo777 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Toph wrote:Didn't realize that Neal was a Coke-head...disappointing...

How old are you? Most of the classic rock bands were during their heyday. I believe the entire band is clean and sober now.
steveo777
MP3

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:03 pm

conversationpc wrote:
Deb wrote:
Gideon wrote:

I've heard a ton of boots of Lou Gramm also...That dude was pretty good, too, even up through the "Mr. Moonlight" tour in '94-'95.

Huge caveat: I'm younger and never saw Perry and never saw Gramm in his prime (saw him back in the early 2000s when his decline was fully underway).

But, based purely on concert videos/DVDs etc, I'd argue that Gramm brought it bigger and better live than Perry did. I know I'll get shit for that here, but it's what I think. Perry was the better singer/artist for sure, but live, Gramm seems like he was electrifying.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby VirgilTheart » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:40 pm

Michigan Girl wrote:
VirgilTheart wrote:Wow. Reading that interview made me really hate Kevin Shirley even more than I already did previously.

:lol: Not exactly. :wink:

But the dude is behind the terrible production of multiple CDs I own that I love to death, but wish the bands who made said-CDs would go back and have the CDs remixed properly. Iron Maiden, for example.

To give Kevin his dues though, I do admit I personally appreciated the raw production of Iron Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death CD. But generally, his work is pretty terrible. :evil:
VirgilTheart
45 RPM

Postby yulog » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:29 pm

I knew there was a reason why i didnt like this cd :roll:
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby parfait » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:15 am

Who the fuck cares!
parfait
Cassette Tape

Postby SF-Dano » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:43 am

VirgilTheart wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:

But the dude is behind the terrible production of multiple CDs I own that I love to death, but wish the bands who made said-CDs would go back and have the CDs remixed properly. Iron Maiden, for example.

To give Kevin his dues though, I do admit I personally appreciated the raw production of Iron Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death CD. But generally, his work is pretty terrible. :evil:

I tend to agree. In general I really don't like Kevin's style of production. There are some exceptions - A Matter of Life and Death (agreed), Trial By Fire, Arrival (most, not all), By Your Side (Black Crowes). I really don't understand how he has become the much sought after producer that he apparently is.
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby Michigan Girl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:49 am

SF-Dano wrote:
VirgilTheart wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:

I tend to agree. In general I really don't like Kevin's style of production. There are some exceptions - A Matter of Life and Death (agreed), Trial By Fire, Arrival (most, not all), By Your Side (Black Crowes). I really don't understand how he has become the much sought after producer that he apparently is.

I don't understand how he became so hated ...you like his work, you don't like his work...HATE, mighty strong!!
his fav artists are using him ...would he consider hating them?!? <<<<was my point!! :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby SF-Dano » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:49 am

Michigan Girl wrote:
SF-Dano wrote:
VirgilTheart wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:

I don't understand how he became so hated ...you like his work, you don't like his work...HATE, mighty strong!!
his fav artists are using him ...would he consider hating them?!? <<<<was my point!! :wink:

Yes Hate is a strong word. I don't know if they actually hate him or just hate his work. But these are words we all use to describe things we are not "happy" with. Sucks, Hate, Crappy. I don't hate Kevin (don't know the man personally), but I am definitely not a fan of the majority of the scope of his work. Better??? :lol:
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby Michigan Girl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:19 am

SF-Dano wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:
SF-Dano wrote:
VirgilTheart wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:

Yes Hate is a strong word. I don't know if they actually hate him or just hate his work. But these are words we all use to describe things we are not "happy" with. Sucks, Hate, Crappy. I don't hate Kevin (don't know the man personally), but I am definitely not a fan of the majority of the scope of his work. Better??? :lol:

lol ...I'm as guilty as the next person ...I hate traffic, I hate it when people text and drive,
I hate slamming doors, but people ,who've done absolutely nothing to you ...where's the love?!? He is
hit or miss, what I understand about the process, anyway ...no hate, though!! :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Toph » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:58 am

steveo777 wrote:

How old are you? Most of the classic rock bands were during their heyday. I believe the entire band is clean and sober now.

Steve Perry managed not to get involved with coke.

Dennis DeYoung managed not to get involved with coke.

I was always under the impression from Herbie's interviews and others that he kept the hard drugs out of the band. Sure some beer and an occasional joint, but I was always under the impression that the guys in Journey had more self control.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby S2M » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:01 am

Toph wrote:
steveo777 wrote:

I was always under the impression from Herbie's interviews and others that he kept the hard drugs out of the band. Sure some beer and an occasional joint, but I was always under the impression that the guys in Journey had more self control.

Perry did coke....don't fool yourself.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby SF-Dano » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:07 am

Toph wrote:
steveo777 wrote:

Do you know for certain that SP never dabbled with coke? There have been many rumors to the contrary. I have no personal knowledge one way or the other about Steve. That said, I think it is commendable that Neal came out in a public interview and acknowledged he had a problem and that he is now clean. Now, whether or not that is entirely accurate is another debate.
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby Don » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:15 am

All of them did drugs, even Cain I'm sure. As for coke, look at Perry's nose, was there ever anything built better for snorting than that thing?
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Melissa » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:31 am

Don wrote:All of them did drugs, even Cain I'm sure. As for coke, look at Perry's nose, was there ever anything built better for snorting than that thing?

I shouldn't laugh, but that is hilarious :lol: I'm sure other things probably flew up there inadvertently :shock: :lol:
Melissa
Compact Disc

Postby Behshad » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:40 am

Don wrote:All of them did drugs, even Cain I'm sure. As for coke, look at Perry's nose, was there ever anything built better for snorting than that thing?

Maybe thats why the got rid of him cause he would clear the table and leave the rest of them behind in a dust ;) :lol:
Behshad
MP3

Postby steveo777 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:42 am

This is a guy who definitely can't turn his head upside down in a rain storm. :lol:
steveo777
MP3

Postby Jana » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:45 am

I'm sure when Perry's eyes were bugging out of his head on ROR clips that it was just a potent multi-vitamin he was taking for energy on the tour. :lol:
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Jana » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:46 am

S2M wrote:
Toph wrote:
steveo777 wrote:

Perry did coke....don't fool yourself.

Every once in a while I agree with you. :wink:
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Behshad » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:48 am

He could wake up in the morning and smell the coffee

all the way from Brazil :wink:
Behshad
MP3

Postby steveo777 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:51 am

Behshad wrote:He could wake up in the morning and smell the coffee

With that acute sense of smell he could probably smell the skid marks in Neals underwear. :lol: :lol: :lol:
steveo777
MP3

Postby Melissa » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:52 am

:lol:

There should be a FB page... "Steve Perry's Nose" .. :lol:
Melissa
Compact Disc

Postby conversationpc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:23 am

Jana wrote:

I'm sure when Perry's eyes were bugging out of his head on ROR clips that it was just a potent multi-vitamin he was taking for energy on the tour. :lol:

I don't know about you but I'd probably look the same if I were onstage in front of 20,000 screaming fans. I can imagine how much of a rush that would be.
My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby Behshad » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:10 am

Melissa wrote:

There should be a FB page... "Steve Perry's Nose" .. :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Per ... 9606141393

Behshad