JP......

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

JP......

Postby Joe Vana » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:34 pm

I have been asked this question a lot through the past 6 or 7 years....I always deflect or take the political answer as the route to go.....considering that Andrew gave Mecca this forum, I figured why not on here to finally explain, dispel, elaborate and basically spill the goods....

Here it goes....

A bit of the back story....JP and I met when I was 14 (1982)...he was visiting a music store in Lagrange, Illinois (The Pick Stop) and I was in there buying my first set of guitar strings for this absolute mess of a guitar that a friend and myself built...I approached him as I was a huge fan and Tiger was just taking the world by storm....he could not have been nicer....The next time I met him was at The theater that I was an usher at (a dream High School gig) JP walked in with Karen and he pointed to a button I had on my Suit coat, it was a Survivor Eye of The Tiger button....I looked up and there he was....he then said “nice tie”....it was a thin red leather tie, remember those? He gave me his address after the movie as I was talking to him and said drop by anytime....A year later I dropped by, I rode my bike...he let me in and played me some new demos they were working on.....can you say Jackie Go, and Caught in the Game??? I was floored....and hooked....I came by maybe every six months or so after that....I was even there the day he and FS were programming the drums for Burning Heart....FS was not very talkative as he didn't know me, but JP and Karen were always beyond hospitable...I even saw the WSC cover in raw form, just the objects....cool shit....I ALWAYS remember that when someone takes the time to ask me about tunes or whatever....I am a fan too!! I will always take the time...Dennis DeYoung told me “I never mind when people talk to me or stop me, the time to worry is when they stop!!”....I digress...fast forward to my freshman year in college...I sent JP a letter s I didn't get home much to say Hi....2 weeks later he sent me a bunch of tshirts, pics and a few CD's for the guys on my floor!!!! When I got out of school I got into printing and design....JP had me working on a bunch of stuff which was really cool....I won't get into all the projects, but I was on my way...then I started writing....I was 24 and I felt a need to write tunes, do not know why....JP and I became fast friends and we would talk every day or so, always something going on....then when I was about 30 JP was working with Fergie Frederiksen as I reconnected those two, for Fergie's Equilibrium album....as they were working on pre-production I took one of the tunes that JP and FF wrote at my house studio and secretly sang the lead vocal to see if I could...I gave it to JP....a week later, yes, a week later he had me singing backgrounds on “That's why God Made the Radio”....for the BEACH BOYS....WTF....after that I sang on many, many, many demo tunes for JP....all really cool shit...then Survivor blew up....blew up....JP called me in the a.m. and told me to make sure I was at the show, they were playing in Lisle right behind my house....it was his last show....I do not care what the reason why he left was, I DO know the WHOLE story, but that is SURVIVOR business...but, I was crushed...my idol was leaving my favorite band....Survivor and I would never be the same....

JP started World Stage...his own “Vehicle” for him to FRONT his own thing and do his tunes the way he wanted....complete control....I worked on the logo and he used it for a while....the original World Stage Logo....I introduced him to my close friend and guitar teacher....writing partner actually....I never had lessons, Mike Aquino ( A freaking man beast on guitar) and I would just woodshed tunes that I was working on.....he had Mike come in to try him out for a session, JP was hooked on AquinoFonics....they were forever connected....COOOOOL....little did I know Mecca was just formed as well....

World Stage 1...yikes....rehearsals were a bit nerve racking as I was NEVER in a band, NEVER sang in front of ANYONE but Jimmy and Larry Millas (A gem of a guy)....Everybody kept moving away from me as I sang.....I guess I sing REALLY FREAKING loud hahahahaha....as the day of the show came DDY had to pull out....so JP tells me the morning of a sold out show, my first time singing live, that I was filling in for DDY on “Too Miss Somebody” a tune that DDY sang on the World Stage album and I sang the Original demo and sat with DDY and showed him parts (mostly JP did that, me a bit :-) ) and my whole family was coming...to see the show...they did not know I was singing!!! As the curtain drew to start the show I could see my family in the audience, the jig was up!! It was a fun time and the WS band rocks!! Plus Kevin Cronin was amazing supportive when he saw me freaking before I had to sing lead with JP....I did backgrounds for the whole show, but came off to get ready for the lead....surreal.....JP had began a chapter of my life that I could NEVER repay him for...I was a singer...a real singer....and I had been trained for years by the best vocal coach and vocal producer in the world....a million dollar education....EVERYTHING you heard from me on Mecca “I” I learned from him...I was merely the clay he molded....I did WS 1 – 4, all awesome fun, and rewarding to gain great friendships with Chalfant, Cronin, Barnes, Kelly Keagy (Will Ferrell), Dennis DeYoung, Henry Paul and others....and play with a GREAT band!!! There were many experiences, I will keep them private...but when I got divorced it was JP and Karen who council ed me..and they even kept me busy with board games at his house sometimes....does a Rock Star do that??? NO...a friend does...I careless what JP wears, or what car he drives...I see through it all, to the core....he is a regular guy with UNBELIEVEABLE talent....he does not even know how talented he is...I have been fortunate to work with the best, I have shared the stage with many....even Toto (Gods)....but those times with JP were always and will always be highlight of my life, and career....it was genuine, real, untethered...

On to Mecca....

JP and I tossed around the idea of putting together a 5 song EP with stuff we had worked on together....he was very gracious to even agree, who the fuck was I???? fast forward a few months and my buddy Fergie was on board and we had a band set up to record in Nashville at the best Studio on the planet....JP over saw it ALL...producer, writer, co-writer, my babysitter etc....he kept all in check....the album turned out great of course and I was there for EVERY session, EVERY mix etc....I again learned a lot....we argued a lot, JP and I, BUT I will say it is the BEST sounding thing he has done since Survivor...and MANY MANY MANY have said so, publically and private....IMHO JP needs that guy to aggravate him, and that was me....to push and prod...to never let good enough past....I had a vision mix wise and productionwise because I listened to TOTO and Mr. Mister 12 hours a day....and that is what I was shooting for....I looked at it as my only album I would ever do....

I am NOT saying POL and Lifeforce are not great....but, Mecca was his true follow up to Survivor....deep melodies and lyrics, not Broadway....he had monsters at every turn player wise....I will say this....and do not shoot me...Survivor will have a REAL hard time EVER beating Mecca I....it was masterpiece that JP was able to form from his SOUL....I was a part for sure, but I was the antagonist.....and that is why he and FS worked....but JP and I never had those kind of issues....

After the album finished I got the ear....meaning I started listening to worldwide press, and people around me telling me I was the man...HA!!! A few business things, crap, came up....and my “group” around me advised me BADLY....so, I will PUBLICALLY apologize to JP for that and all of it...he got caught in the crossfire....and I alienated him....because remember, I am Mecca....well, I wasn't....not then.....I am now, and am very comfortable standing toe to toe with anyone in a studio or behind the mic...but Mecca I was JP teaching me, and sometimes me being a brat or better yet a young guy who had never had accliam like that, and I handled it wrong....I was a successful athlete all my life, but that kind of attention took some getting used to....If I knew then what I know now!! Anyway, many have asked why JP is not part of Mecca II....I cannot answer actually...He didn't return a few calls calls years ago....he was in his world and I was in mine...

I am VERY happy with Mecca II...it is the culmination of 15 years of learning from JP, and adding some things I learned from others....it is my grad paper, my thesis...I hope he gives me my degree.....

Tonefully....

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:07 pm

So, basically you guys had some differences of opinion on Mecca I and went your separate ways?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the time line here.

Did you guys have any meaningful contact after Mecca I or...?
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Joe Vana » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:So, basically you guys had some differences of opinion on Mecca I and went your separate ways?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the time line here.

Did you guys have any meaningful contact after Mecca I or...?

NO contact past Mecca I....and it was bullshit business stuff that tore it apart...I listened to the WRONG people, my bad....about 2002....I have run into him on the street, small talk....and at MR fest 2...talked for a minute....but that's it...

I would love to talk to JP again, if anything to clear the air...make my peace, tell him I was an immature ass 10 years ago and move forward....the shit we could write now, holy crap...
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Joe.

First off, thank you for filling us in on what went on in the past with your friendship/partnership with Jim Peterik!

I certainly don't mean to stick my nose into your business.

However....

I think that if you were to contact Jim and explain things to him, I think he'd probably be open to patching things up between the two of you. Based on everything that I've seen first-hand, and heard about him, he seems like a really high quality person.

I agree with you that Jim seems to do his absolute best writing when he has a songwriting partner to help toughen up his songs. Someone like FS.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby IngoK » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:14 pm

A big Thanks for sharing this with us JV. If sure that JP will hear your words somewhere, somehow.
IngoK
LP

Postby Joe Vana » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:33 pm

IngoK wrote:A big Thanks for sharing this with us JV. If sure that JP will hear your words somewhere, somehow.

Your Welcome....

I didn't write this for him, or to get a message to him...I wrote it because I wanted to make clear what is my opinion of JP and why he is not on Mecca II...I get asked a lot....he is a great guy and I have all the respect in the world for him...

Thanks Ingo!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby jaxmanjoe » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:17 am

Wow. Great revelations, Joe. I do hope you and Jim can work together again someday. Mecca I was a masterpiece and it does appear that Jim works best when he's got opposing forces pushing him to make it better. It shows in Survivor and in Mecca.

I hope Jim reads your post and understands where you were back then and where you are now. You seem like a great guy from what I read of your posts and I'd love to meet you and Jim's missing out if he doesn't reconnect with you.

As I write I'm listening to Close That Gap and and You Still Shock Me and I yearn back for those days when business took a backseat to the music; what happens when musicians get together and play. It's magic and it's sad when the focus shifts away from that.

You and Jim were an incredible team, I dare say, on par with Jim and Frankie. Of all Jim's post and pre-Survivor work his Mecca work is his best, followed IMHO by his .38 Special work. And, he's worked with a lot of people. I hope he realizes that and gets back in touch with you. His talent deserves a Frankie Sullivan or Joe Vana to bring out his best work. And if we, as fans, happen to enjoy the results, then so be it :)

Joe
Jaxmanjoe
jaxmanjoe
45 RPM

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:33 am

You're a good man, JV! I'm sure there are many guys with huge egos that would never be able to allow themselves to stand up publicly and say "You know what, I made some mistakes and darn near burned some bridges. I apologize for that!" Such a fascinating read. JP is definitely talented to no end. In my opinion, he is Survivor, but we'll save that debate for the Survivor boards.

I certainly hope you and JP can work together again on something. I will tell you this Joe: And believe me, people who know me will be first to tell you I'm not one who kisses up to anybody. So, I hope you don't take it as such. But, I will tell you, Mecca I is probably, by far, the best album I have ever purchased in the last twenty years at least. That album, those groups of guys that you and JP brought in to work on Mecca, were perfect for my ears. Everything I have ever liked about AOR style music - all those elements - I found on that album! Toto, Survivor, Journey, etc... it's all there! That's why it's been so frantic for me to try and find my copy of the CD, LOL!!! I had actually purchased two copies of it, and gave one to an ex-girlfriend....lol! We're still good friends, I should ask her if she still has the CD and listens to it...maybe I can get it back! :lol: But anyways, I would put that album up against any AOR album that has came out in the last couple of decades. Heck, it kills any of the crap they play on radio currently.

That's why I'm very eagerly awaiting Mecca II. I know you have put a lot of time and effort into this album. And, I'm thinking you're probably the type that is not going to put something out just because you feel you need to, but that if it has your stamp of approval on it, then you know we [the fans] will love it! I am glad you're singing lead on every song. I love Fergie and his voice, but I want to hear more of those Vana vocals. I had no idea JP wasn't involved with this album. Maybe I did and just had forgotten about it. But, I think if you truly have applied to this album, what JP has taught you, it's going to be good man. I'm excited about it. You know, hearing stories like this as to how some of you guys got into the business makes me want to kick myself for never sticking with any of the musical instruments I have ever picked up! I was the best sax player in my middle school band! Gave it up because I was afraid of high school. Silly now, but it made sense to me back then. I've had guitar lessons, piano lessons, vocal lessons....but I have never stuck to any of it. I get so far and I get lazy. Sucks, because I have one of these minds where I hear a song in my head, and it's so detailed as to how I want this song to sound - and it's one of those deals where if I had the capacity to translate it into something that others could hear, I'd know those songs would be huge! Kind of frustrating. It's like wanting to run a marathon without legs. Anyways, I'm glad to hear your story Joe Vana, and believe me when I tell you that you have the talent and you have the it factor...just please stick with it! Don't be a Greg...LOL! :lol:
Greg
Cassette Tape

Re: JP......

Postby Tito » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:36 am

Joe Vana wrote:After the album finished I got the ear....meaning I started listening to worldwide press, and people around me telling me I was the man...

DAMN YOU McNEICE!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tito
Stereo LP

Re: JP......

Postby Joe Vana » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:15 am

Tito wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:After the album finished I got the ear....meaning I started listening to worldwide press, and people around me telling me I was the man...

DAMN YOU McNEICE!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will get to the other posts, but firstly...AJM NEVER kissed my ass!!! He kicked it...he is why I recut the entire album....I sent him tunes and was cool on them, but not on fire...so I RECUT the entire album and then it was done...he was my antagonist on this...he really kicked me in the ass....

Hey Tito...bite me!!!!....and call me, I am around tomorrow and tonight if you are open!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:29 am

jaxmanjoe wrote:Wow. Great revelations, Joe. I do hope you and Jim can work together again someday. Mecca I was a masterpiece and it does appear that Jim works best when he's got opposing forces pushing him to make it better. It shows in Survivor and in Mecca.

I hope Jim reads your post and understands where you were back then and where you are now. You seem like a great guy from what I read of your posts and I'd love to meet you and Jim's missing out if he doesn't reconnect with you.

As I write I'm listening to Close That Gap and and You Still Shock Me and I yearn back for those days when business took a backseat to the music; what happens when musicians get together and play. It's magic and it's sad when the focus shifts away from that.

You and Jim were an incredible team, I dare say, on par with Jim and Frankie. Of all Jim's post and pre-Survivor work his Mecca work is his best, followed IMHO by his .38 Special work. And, he's worked with a lot of people. I hope he realizes that and gets back in touch with you. His talent deserves a Frankie Sullivan or Joe Vana to bring out his best work. And if we, as fans, happen to enjoy the results, then so be it :)

Joe

Hi Joe....

I cannot Thank You enough....your kind words touched me my man....PLUS, you are listening to Mecca I.....what an honor.....I only told it like it is....Doesn't make me look good....but so what huh?.....I wanted the truth out there....As far as Mecca goes JP was NOT the bad guy...never was...and he taught me everything I knew....I have fortunately learned alot more over the past 10 years......and grown alot....but again, I wanted the truth out there....

I'm not worthy!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:34 am

Greg wrote:You're a good man, JV! I'm sure there are many guys with huge egos that would never be able to allow themselves to stand up publicly and say "You know what, I made some mistakes and darn near burned some bridges. I apologize for that!" Such a fascinating read. JP is definitely talented to no end. In my opinion, he is Survivor, but we'll save that debate for the Survivor boards.

I certainly hope you and JP can work together again on something. I will tell you this Joe: And believe me, people who know me will be first to tell you I'm not one who kisses up to anybody. So, I hope you don't take it as such. But, I will tell you, Mecca I is probably, by far, the best album I have ever purchased in the last twenty years at least. That album, those groups of guys that you and JP brought in to work on Mecca, were perfect for my ears. Everything I have ever liked about AOR style music - all those elements - I found on that album! Toto, Survivor, Journey, etc... it's all there! That's why it's been so frantic for me to try and find my copy of the CD, LOL!!! I had actually purchased two copies of it, and gave one to an ex-girlfriend....lol! We're still good friends, I should ask her if she still has the CD and listens to it...maybe I can get it back! :lol: But anyways, I would put that album up against any AOR album that has came out in the last couple of decades. Heck, it kills any of the crap they play on radio currently.

That's why I'm very eagerly awaiting Mecca II. I know you have put a lot of time and effort into this album. And, I'm thinking you're probably the type that is not going to put something out just because you feel you need to, but that if it has your stamp of approval on it, then you know we [the fans] will love it! I am glad you're singing lead on every song. I love Fergie and his voice, but I want to hear more of those Vana vocals. I had no idea JP wasn't involved with this album. Maybe I did and just had forgotten about it. But, I think if you truly have applied to this album, what JP has taught you, it's going to be good man. I'm excited about it. You know, hearing stories like this as to how some of you guys got into the business makes me want to kick myself for never sticking with any of the musical instruments I have ever picked up! I was the best sax player in my middle school band! Gave it up because I was afraid of high school. Silly now, but it made sense to me back then. I've had guitar lessons, piano lessons, vocal lessons....but I have never stuck to any of it. I get so far and I get lazy. Sucks, because I have one of these minds where I hear a song in my head, and it's so detailed as to how I want this song to sound - and it's one of those deals where if I had the capacity to translate it into something that others could hear, I'd know those songs would be huge! Kind of frustrating. It's like wanting to run a marathon without legs. Anyways, I'm glad to hear your story Joe Vana, and believe me when I tell you that you have the talent and you have the it factor...just please stick with it! Don't be a Greg...LOL! :lol:

And Greg does not have to be a Greg either!!!!

I am a really big guy, not your prototypical singer...but I do it.....so get off your ass and live the dream you see for yourself.....life is full of roadblocks, you gonna turn the other way, or run the fucker over!!!

I applaud your message...you are keeping it real....

Singing every tune was a few in my "Circle of Trust" idea....so I went for it!!!

THANK you for all the support my man....and Mecca II will NOT disappoint....I promise......

Tonefully.......JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:39 am

Joe Vana wrote:

I am a really big guy, not your prototypical singer...but I do it.....so get off your ass and live the dream you see for yourself.....life is full of roadblocks, you gonna turn the other way, or run the fucker over!!!

Singing every tune was a few in my "Circle of Trust" idea....so I went for it!!!

THANK you for all the support my man....and Mecca II will NOT disappoint....I promise......

Tonefully.......JV

Ya never know! I've been itchin' to get back and just mastering something....piano or guitar? I think what has been difficult for me is the fact that I have one of those minds as to why do you have to play this piece like this or how does that work? I seem to think it's the adult learner....children learn to do things because they don't really take the time to question stuff, they just learn to do things because that is just how it's done. Later on when they mature, they figure out the reason, but by then they have mastered their craft.

I have always been more interested in writing music than actually learning how to play a freakin' instrument...LOL! Does that make any sense? Even if I started writing stuff again, I don't have all of the technology to record it and such...wouldn't even know how to get it out to those who matter as far as listening to my stuff. Well, I take that back. I have this 1990's model Clavanova keyboard that has a 16 track recording system. Used to know exactly how to use it, but it's been awhile. Only downfall is that you can only save it to a 3 1/2 inch floppy. Then, it sounds all computerized on my computer! :cry: I know there are programs out there that you can substitute those midi instruments with truer sounding soundfonts, but that stuff costs money....LOL!!! But anyways, I guess step one is to set my butt in front of my piano and just start playing...LOL!
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:46 am

Greg wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

Tonefully.......JV

Ya never know! I've been itchin' to get back and just mastering something....piano or guitar? I think what has been difficult for me is the fact that I have one of those minds as to why do you have to play this piece like this or how does that work? I seem to think it's the adult learner....children learn to do things because they don't really take the time to question stuff, they just learn to do things because that is just how it's done. Later on when they mature, they figure out the reason, but by then they have mastered their craft.

I have always been more interested in writing music than actually learning how to play a freakin' instrument...LOL! Does that make any sense? Even if I started writing stuff again, I don't have all of the technology to record it and such...wouldn't even know how to get it out to those who matter as far as listening to my stuff. Well, I take that back. I have this 1990's model Clavanova keyboard that has a 16 track recording system. Used to know exactly how to use it, but it's been awhile. Only downfall is that you can only save it to a 3 1/2 inch floppy. Then, it sounds all computerized on my computer! :cry: I know there are programs out there that you can substitute those midi instruments with truer sounding soundfonts, but that stuff costs money....LOL!!! But anyways, I guess step one is to set my butt in front of my piano and just start playing...LOL!

3 and a 1/2 inch floppy? Isn't viagra the pill for that? Hahahahah

All it takes is one afternoon and you are on your way...keep us updated!!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:50 am

Joe Vana wrote:
Greg wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

Tonefully.......JV

3 and a 1/2 inch floppy? Isn't viagra the pill for that? Hahahahah

All it takes is one afternoon and you are on your way...keep us updated!!!!

JV

:lol: And as Austin Powers once said, "That's not my penis pump!"
Greg
Cassette Tape

Great story!

Postby chynablue » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:53 am

That was a pretty amazing story Joe! I've never heard it before. It's great to see an artist use their message board the way it's meant to be used - to reach out to fans and open up about the inner workings of your career. I didn't realize things had gotten strained with JP. Those fallings-out always make me sad in my own situations, and I spent years trying to find ways to make them better! (Have you thought about having an intermediary reach out to him on your behalf? Maybe a common friend, like, I dunno....Lec Zorn?)

Be well & rock on!
chynablue
45 RPM

Re: Great story!

Postby Joe Vana » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:59 am

chynablue wrote: (Have you thought about having an intermediary reach out to him on your behalf? Maybe a common friend, like, I dunno....Lec Zorn?)

Be well & rock on!

Hahahahaahha...NOOOO....hahahhahahahaha.....YOU are part of his legacy...maybe a Zorn/Ragno album???? hahahahaha....he always seemed like a nice guy...just a bit over his head sometimes maybe?....hope he is doing well....

And yes...I can admit when I was wrong...and I am wrong alot...part of life I guess....but I WAS right when I asked you to join I will tell you that!!!

Call me later.....JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:01 am

chynablue wrote:That was a pretty amazing story Joe! I've never heard it before. It's great to see an artist use their message board the way it's meant to be used - to reach out to fans and open up about the inner workings of your career. I didn't realize things had gotten strained with JP. Those fallings-out always make me sad in my own situations, and I spent years trying to find ways to make them better! (Have you thought about having an intermediary reach out to him on your behalf? Maybe a common friend, like, I dunno....Lec Zorn?)

Be well & rock on!

By the way...your Avatar was you and Andrew at MY old restaurant!!! Now I am depressed!!! Long live Barone's of Lisle!!!!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby chynablue » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:23 am

Joe Vana wrote:
By the way...your Avatar was you and Andrew at MY old restaurant!!! Now I am depressed!!! Long live Barone's of Lisle!!!!!!

JV

YES!!!! SEND PIZZA!!!! DEEP DISH, JUST CHEESE - NO MEAT!
chynablue
45 RPM

Postby Tito » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:10 am

Joe Vana wrote:
chynablue wrote: (Have you thought about having an intermediary reach out to him on your behalf? Maybe a common friend, like, I dunno....Lec Zorn?)

Be well & rock on!

Hahahahaahha...NOOOO....hahahhahahahaha.....YOU are part of his legacy...maybe a Zorn/Ragno album???? hahahahaha....he always seemed like a nice guy...just a bit over his head sometimes maybe?....hope he is doing well....

And yes...I can admit when I was wrong...and I am wrong alot...part of life I guess....but I WAS right when I asked you to join I will tell you that!!!

Call me later.....JV

I'll bite. Who's Lec Zorn?
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Idiosyncrasy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:09 pm

I don't know Jim Peterik but, as people have said above, everyone always says what a thoroughly decent guy he is. Honestly, all I think you need to do is copy, paste, and send what you've written above. I mean, christ, if he can get back with Jamo after all those years and lawsuits... Give it a go? It can only help. (And, by the way, kudos to you for being so frank and honest about it on a public forum). Mitch Malloy hadn't spoken to Marcie Free for years until I had a chat to him about it at a gig, and then they started speaking again (apparently) - (yes, I'm like RELATE for estranged musicians haha! ;-)

Love that first album and would love to hear you and Jim work together again.

- Danny.
Idiosyncrasy
Ol' 78

Postby yulog » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Joe, i keep hearing about you and JP but i think a big part of what worked on mecca 1 was how you and Fergies voices blended together. Was there a falling out between you guys, I know he has been sick but why did you guys not work together on this cd?
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:14 pm

yulog wrote:Joe, i keep hearing about you and JP but i think a big part of what worked on mecca 1 was how you and Fergies voices blended together. Was there a falling out between you guys, I know he has been sick but why did you guys not work together on this cd?

Fergie is a GREAT guy...no problems...I wrote a song on Fergie's NEW solo CD....

Mecca "I" could have been all me, but I wanted a safety net and another singer with me...I was VERY new to singing at that point...plus it was very much Toto focused...with Mecca II I felt I was ready to do my own thing completely...

No big story...

Fergie is an amazing singer, and I am thrilled he is doing better!!!! Plus, to hear him cutting a tune I wrote for his solo CD considering he thought it might be his last is an amazing honor....

Thanks man....

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby lordreo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:05 pm

Joe Vana wrote:Plus, to hear him cutting a tune I wrote for his solo CD considering he thought it might be his last is an amazing honor....

Which one did you write? I couldn't find that info anywhere...

Roy
lordreo
Ol' 78

Postby Joe Vana » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:16 pm

lordreo wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:Plus, to hear him cutting a tune I wrote for his solo CD considering he thought it might be his last is an amazing honor....

Which one did you write? I couldn't find that info anywhere...

Roy

Hi Roy...

"The One"......written by Joe Vana/Christian Wolff.....

It is NO ballad....it slammmms!! A real rocker!!!

Thanks!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby JTRock » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:04 am

Great post and amazing history!!!! Thanks for sharing...

JT
JTRock
Ol' 78

Postby Brett » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:05 am

Joe Vana wrote:
yulog wrote:Joe, i keep hearing about you and JP but i think a big part of what worked on mecca 1 was how you and Fergies voices blended together. Was there a falling out between you guys, I know he has been sick but why did you guys not work together on this cd?

Fergie is a GREAT guy...no problems...I wrote a song on Fergie's NEW solo CD....

Mecca "I" could have been all me, but I wanted a safety net and another singer with me...I was VERY new to singing at that point...plus it was very much Toto focused...with Mecca II I felt I was ready to do my own thing completely...

No big story...

Fergie is an amazing singer, and I am thrilled he is doing better!!!! Plus, to hear him cutting a tune I wrote for his solo CD considering he thought it might be his last is an amazing honor....

Thanks man....

JV

Ah, that's good to hear. I too thought there had been a sense of some level of falling out with Fergie, but nice to know I was just reading between lines that weren't actually there!
Brett
Ol' 78

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:19 am

Brett wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

No big story...

Thanks man....

JV

Ah, that's good to hear. I too thought there had been a sense of some level of falling out with Fergie, but nice to know I was just reading between lines that weren't actually there!

Yep...Fergie is a badass singer and a great guy!!! Nothing but love to him....

ALL Good.....JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:19 am

JTRock wrote:Great post and amazing history!!!! Thanks for sharing...

JT

Thanks man.....and thanks for posting on our forum!!!
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby lordreo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:30 am

Joe Vana wrote:Hi Roy...

"The One"......written by Joe Vana/Christian Wolff.....

It is NO ballad....it slammmms!! A real rocker!!!

Thanks!

JV

Thank you, looking forward to hearing it. Almost as much as I'm looking forward to the new Mecca album :wink:

Roy
lordreo
Ol' 78

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)