I Admit The Sandusky Situation Is A Bad Look.

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Postby Fact Finder » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:09 am

Exclusive: Jerry Sandusky interview prompts long-ago victims to contact lawyer

Published: Thursday, November 17, 2011, 2:00 AM

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Jerry Sandusky’s primetime television interview Monday led several potential victims to come forward and consider sharing their story, according to two State College attorneys.

Hearing his voice and his words proclaiming no wrong — while admitting he showered innocently with young boys — was a trigger for some who say they were abused by the former Penn State defensive coordinator. One said it went back to the 1970s, around the time Sandusky founded the charity that prosecutors say was his axis for finding victims.

“They’re literally processing it right in front of us,” attorney Andy Shubin said. “They have kept it from their families, moms, brothers and sisters. ... The folks we talked to are largely folks in their 20s, who in a lot of cases have never told their story before.”

Shubin, who is working closely with attorney Justine Andronici, has also teamed up with psychologists, social workers and a national child sex abuse organization so that these people can seek mental help along with possible legal recourse.

Many, Shubin says, haven’t yet decided if they are going to talk to police. Some cases might be too old for a viable prosecution.

But all are seeking to heal, Shubin said, and their pain was re-triggered by Sandusky’s interview Monday night with NBC’s Bob Costas.

“I spent about half the day in kitchens and living rooms, speaking with victims of Sandusky’s molestation and processing with them the effects of Jerry Sandusky being on television and Jerry Sandusky denying wrongdoing," Shubin said. "And what I found was that these folks are being re-traumatized.”

Shubin said he couldn’t put a number to his conversations. At this point, he said, it isn’t clear how many people he consulted with will end up coming forward and telling their stories to police.

Authorities have set up a tip line for this case, but won’t say how many new victims have come forward. No more charges have been filed, and state police rebutted claims by the New York Times that there were 10 new victims.

Some of those who talked to Shubin are afraid of retribution from Penn State-crazed fans, or being blamed — like one victim — for the downfall of Joe Paterno.

Mike Gillum, the psychologist working with the Clinton County boy who first came forward to authorities in 2008 and whose statement led to the grand jury investigation, said Wednesday that the teen boy is having trouble in school because he is being bullied.

Coming forward has led to threats and verbal abuse, Gillum said.

“In some cases we’re finding that they are hiding in a fairly remote area, they are afraid of being discovered,” Shubin said about the people he talked to Wednesday.

Others have already come forward and say they were dissuaded from being honest, he said.

“In some cases they have disclosed something in careful ways to people in positions of authority and they were not believed,” Andronici said. “They were, in some cases, scolded and silenced.”


Shubin and Andronici released a statement Tuesday outlining their plan to take civil action on behalf of victims who want to pursue that kind of relief.

Shubin is well-known in State College for his civil rights work, and is often sought out by crime victims for representation. He has a reputation for taking on Penn State in other lawsuits.

“The word is getting out that we have the interest of the victims,” Andronici said. “People know who Andy is, they know who I am. They see that we’re in a position to advise them as they navigate this. It’s an extremely daunting process — getting prepared in their mind to deal with this.”
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:24 am

Fact Finder wrote:Exclusive: Jerry Sandusky interview prompts long-ago victims to contact lawyer

Published: Thursday, November 17, 2011, 2:00 AM

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Jerry Sandusky’s primetime television interview Monday led several potential victims to come forward and consider sharing their story, according to two State College attorneys.

Hearing his voice and his words proclaiming no wrong — while admitting he showered innocently with young boys — was a trigger for some who say they were abused by the former Penn State defensive coordinator. One said it went back to the 1970s, around the time Sandusky founded the charity that prosecutors say was his axis for finding victims.

“They’re literally processing it right in front of us,” attorney Andy Shubin said. “They have kept it from their families, moms, brothers and sisters. ... The folks we talked to are largely folks in their 20s, who in a lot of cases have never told their story before.”

Shubin, who is working closely with attorney Justine Andronici, has also teamed up with psychologists, social workers and a national child sex abuse organization so that these people can seek mental help along with possible legal recourse.

Many, Shubin says, haven’t yet decided if they are going to talk to police. Some cases might be too old for a viable prosecution.

But all are seeking to heal, Shubin said, and their pain was re-triggered by Sandusky’s interview Monday night with NBC’s Bob Costas.

“I spent about half the day in kitchens and living rooms, speaking with victims of Sandusky’s molestation and processing with them the effects of Jerry Sandusky being on television and Jerry Sandusky denying wrongdoing," Shubin said. "And what I found was that these folks are being re-traumatized.”

Shubin said he couldn’t put a number to his conversations. At this point, he said, it isn’t clear how many people he consulted with will end up coming forward and telling their stories to police.

Authorities have set up a tip line for this case, but won’t say how many new victims have come forward. No more charges have been filed, and state police rebutted claims by the New York Times that there were 10 new victims.

Some of those who talked to Shubin are afraid of retribution from Penn State-crazed fans, or being blamed — like one victim — for the downfall of Joe Paterno.

Mike Gillum, the psychologist working with the Clinton County boy who first came forward to authorities in 2008 and whose statement led to the grand jury investigation, said Wednesday that the teen boy is having trouble in school because he is being bullied.

Coming forward has led to threats and verbal abuse, Gillum said.

“In some cases we’re finding that they are hiding in a fairly remote area, they are afraid of being discovered,” Shubin said about the people he talked to Wednesday.

Others have already come forward and say they were dissuaded from being honest, he said.

“In some cases they have disclosed something in careful ways to people in positions of authority and they were not believed,” Andronici said. “They were, in some cases, scolded and silenced.”


Shubin and Andronici released a statement Tuesday outlining their plan to take civil action on behalf of victims who want to pursue that kind of relief.

Shubin is well-known in State College for his civil rights work, and is often sought out by crime victims for representation. He has a reputation for taking on Penn State in other lawsuits.

“The word is getting out that we have the interest of the victims,” Andronici said. “People know who Andy is, they know who I am. They see that we’re in a position to advise them as they navigate this. It’s an extremely daunting process — getting prepared in their mind to deal with this.”


Wow. Thanks for the post, FF.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
User avatar
Rick
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 16722
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:29 am
Location: Texas

Postby Michigan Girl » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:07 am

Not that I care about sandusky...but his
Atty. Should've muzzled him...as I thought.
Michigan Girl
MP3
 
Posts: 13963
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:36 am

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:15 am

Fact Finder wrote:Exclusive: Jerry Sandusky interview prompts long-ago victims to contact lawyer

Published: Thursday, November 17, 2011, 2:00 AM

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Jerry Sandusky’s primetime television interview Monday led several potential victims to come forward and consider sharing their story, according to two State College attorneys.

Hearing his voice and his words proclaiming no wrong — while admitting he showered innocently with young boys — was a trigger for some who say they were abused by the former Penn State defensive coordinator. One said it went back to the 1970s, around the time Sandusky founded the charity that prosecutors say was his axis for finding victims.

“They’re literally processing it right in front of us,” attorney Andy Shubin said. “They have kept it from their families, moms, brothers and sisters. ... The folks we talked to are largely folks in their 20s, who in a lot of cases have never told their story before.”


It makes perfect sense... people don't just wake up one day in their late 50s and decide to start being a pedophile.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10845
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby AlteredDNA » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:53 am

Michigan Girl wrote:Not that I care about sandusky...but his
Atty. Should've muzzled him...as I thought.


Maybe his attorney had ulterior motives...
I Love Pineapple!!!
User avatar
AlteredDNA
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:08 am
Location: Baton Rouge

Postby Fact Finder » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:43 am

The outrage over the Penn State sex abuse scandal has spilled over into anger at the management of the Second Mile charity, prompting an exodus of some furious board members and volunteers.

The Second Mile, founded by accused child molester Jerry Sandusky, refused to say how many of its board members have resigned, although the group's former CEO Jack Raykowitz was forced to resign last week.

The anger has rippled out from its headquarters in State College. At least three members of the Second Mile's south central chapter in York, Pa., said they have quit in recent weeks over their outrage that Sandusky was allowed to still be involved with the organization although executives knew about sexual child abuse allegations against him.

"I'm certain that you can appreciate the anger and betrayal that my former board member colleagues and I now feel," an ex-board member who quit last week told ABCNews.com. "When the grand jury presentment was published on Nov. 4, our spirits were crushed."

The board member, like several others interviewed by ABCNews.com, requested that their names be withheld. They said they had been instructed by the Second Mile's headquarters to direct all questions to the state office in State College. Messages left there went unreturned.

Sandusky, 67, has been accused of molesting eight boys over the last 15 years, and the grand jury presentment suggested that he had used the Second Mile as a way to prey on children and groom them for his alleged purposes. The report also noted that the Second Mile's top executives had been informed of the allegations against in 2002 and earlier in 1998.

Some reports cite as many as six board members resigning from the Second Mile. Board members who have quit and spoken to ABC News said they were upset that key officials of the charity were aware of the ugly charges against Sandusky, but continued to include him in their awards and fundraising events.

One board member, who wished to remain anonymous, said he was told by the group's headquarters only that Sandusky was under investigation, and that he had denied the allegations.

The board member said he was later outraged to learn that the investigation involved 40 counts of child molestation.

During the same period, Sandusky attended the group's annual Celebration of Excellence awards ceremony in Hershey, Pa., in March of this year.

A long-time volunteer with the chapter recalled that in 2006, Sandusky and former head coach of Penn State football Joe Paterno had attended a banquet for the organization. That event was held four years after Paterno had been told about an alleged rape of a 10-year-old boy by Sandusky in the showers at Penn State's football department.

Sandusky was also featured in a 2007 fundraiser for the York chapter dubbed "A Tribute to Linebacker U." As the team's former defensive coordinator, Sandusky was an architect of Penn State's linebacker corps.

"(Sandusky) would bring players to golf tournaments, they were all at dinners. I liked the guy, but I guess he was different than I thought," said the volunteer, who has handed in his resignation. "Most of us didn't know much at all."

Another board member who resigned in recent days said she was still trying to process how it could have happened.

"You know, obviously it's pretty big news, and it's devastating. It's just a lot to process, I am personally still processing it. I just feel so sorry for all of the victims," she said.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby slucero » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:09 pm

if Sandusky was operating a sex-peddling operation, as has been alleged... and some of the beneficiaries were on the board of Second Mile... they outta be shitting there pants right about now...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.


~Albert Einstein
User avatar
slucero
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5265
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:17 pm

Postby RossValoryRocks » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:20 pm

slucero wrote:if Sandusky was operating a sex-peddling operation, as has been alleged... and some of the beneficiaries were on the board of Second Mile... they outta be shitting there pants right about now...


If I were Sandusky I would be worried about the potential Federal charges...taking a kid across statelines for the purpose of sex (Alamo Bowl)...the board should be worried about the charge of setting up a criminal enterprise (Second Mile) for the purpose of luring kids (More and more kids are coming forward from earlier and earlier, remember Second Mile was set up in '77) and if they knew about it aiding and abetting.

I hope they all burn.
User avatar
RossValoryRocks
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3858
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:47 pm

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Allegations that Syracuse BBall Assistant molested a team ball boy dating back to the 1980s. This is gonna be the next Catholic Church scandal. In hindsight, it makes perfect sense: what better environment to prey on boys than this athletic environment?
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10845
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby Fact Finder » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:47 pm

http://vigilantantis.wordpress.com/2008 ... or-guilty/


Lewisburg, Pa....where Gricar went missing.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby S2M » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
User avatar
S2M
MP3
 
Posts: 11898
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:43 am
Location: In a bevy of whimsy

Postby RedWingFan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:58 pm

Don't know if any of you seen it. But South Park takes some swings at PSU! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZudPTS_QDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZlH_2O ... re=related
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7695
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Postby geminix » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:46 pm

User avatar
geminix
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:11 am
Location: Georgia

Postby Red13JoePa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:37 am

Jim Boeheim MUST be fired at Syracuse RIGHT now.

Figure out the rest later.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3
 
Posts: 11647
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:44 am

Here they come....





BreakingNews


NCAA to launch investigation of Penn State athletic programs - Penn State, @AP http://bit.ly/rBRDoT

3 minutes ago
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:45 am

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State has learned via letter from NCAA President Mark Emmert that the governing body of collegiate sports will launch an investigation of the University's athletic programs in the wake of allegations of sexual abuse by a former assistant coach and charges of perjury against to two senior University officials.

"I am writing to notify you that the NCAA will examine Penn State's exercise of institutional control over its intercollegiate athletics programs, as well as the actions, and inactions, of relevant responsible personnel," Emmert wrote. "We recognize that there are ongoing federal and state investigations and the NCAA does not intend to interfere with those probes."

Emmert set out several questions that University officials must be prepared to answer as part of the probe. Responses to this NCAA inquiry are expected by Dec. 16 in order for the NCAA to determine next steps.

To view the letter and the specific areas that will be covered in this inquiry, go to http://www.psu.edu/ur/2011/NCAA.pdf online.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Ehwmatt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:48 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Jim Boeheim MUST be fired at Syracuse RIGHT now.

Figure out the rest later.


You need to get Paterno's cock out of your mouth for two seconds. So far, the facts (let alone the actual allegations) couldn't be more different other than the commonality of a grown man long-tenured as an assistant coach trying to fuck a young boy :

Syracuse police are investigating an allegation that longtime Syracuse University basketball assistant coach Bernie Fine molested a team ball boy for more than a dozen years, according to a report on ESPN...

The alleged victim, Bobby Davis, who is 39, told ESPN that Fine molested him beginning in 1983 and that it occurred at SU basketball facilities, on road trips, and during the 1987 Final Four.

Davis said he didn't tell Boeheim about the abuse.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10845
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:48 am

Federal officials 'looking hard' at allegations that Jerry Sandusky crossed state lines to commit child abuse, source tells @NBCNews
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby RossValoryRocks » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:36 am

Fact Finder wrote:Federal officials 'looking hard' at allegations that Jerry Sandusky crossed state lines to commit child abuse, source tells @NBCNews


He did...took the kid to the Alamo Bowl...it is most definately a Federal crime to take a minor across a state line for the purpose of having sex with them...and the list goes on of charges...because he did it in Texas...so Texas will get a shot...Good ole' Sandusky is going to learn soon why they call prison the pokey..."But but Warden...we were just wrestling, naked, in the shower with him!! Nevermind that his ass looks like a gallon mayo jar...it was just wrestling!"
User avatar
RossValoryRocks
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3858
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:47 pm

Postby Red13JoePa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:43 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
Red13JoePa wrote:Jim Boeheim MUST be fired at Syracuse RIGHT now.

Figure out the rest later.


You need to get Paterno's cock out of your mouth for two seconds. So far, the facts (let alone the actual allegations) couldn't be more different other than the commonality of a grown man long-tenured as an assistant coach trying to fuck a young boy :

Syracuse police are investigating an allegation that longtime Syracuse University basketball assistant coach Bernie Fine molested a team ball boy for more than a dozen years, according to a report on ESPN...

The alleged victim, Bobby Davis, who is 39, told ESPN that Fine molested him beginning in 1983 and that it occurred at SU basketball facilities, on road trips, and during the 1987 Final Four.

Davis said he didn't tell Boeheim about the abuse.



As you say, "so far."

I'll continue to wait I'll leave the (pre)judging to people like you.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3
 
Posts: 11647
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:15 am

BreakingNews


Scott Paterno says his father, Joe Paterno, has a treatable form of lung cancer - @AP

5 minutes ago
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Ehwmatt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:29 am

Red13JoePa wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Red13JoePa wrote:Jim Boeheim MUST be fired at Syracuse RIGHT now.

Figure out the rest later.


You need to get Paterno's cock out of your mouth for two seconds. So far, the facts (let alone the actual allegations) couldn't be more different other than the commonality of a grown man long-tenured as an assistant coach trying to fuck a young boy :

Syracuse police are investigating an allegation that longtime Syracuse University basketball assistant coach Bernie Fine molested a team ball boy for more than a dozen years, according to a report on ESPN...

The alleged victim, Bobby Davis, who is 39, told ESPN that Fine molested him beginning in 1983 and that it occurred at SU basketball facilities, on road trips, and during the 1987 Final Four.

Davis said he didn't tell Boeheim about the abuse.



As you say, "so far."

I'll continue to wait I'll leave the (pre)judging to people like you.


Yep, and "so far," the facts sworn to under oath from the outset of the Paterno thing indicated that Penn State had no choice but to fire Paterno.

I'm disappointed you would say I've "prejudged" Paterno. I've been even-handed here and in discussing this with real life people. I feel for the guy's legacy being ruined. And I'll be the first to say that on the facts we have right now, he does not deserve to be "charged" or "thrown in jail" like the lynch mob said. But right now, unless McQueary perjured himself and other accounts are false, Paterno did some things that left the Penn State Board with no choice but to fire him. That includes his trying to take the reins in one last power play and asserting he would be retiring at the end of the season when he knew damn well the decision was no longer his.

But I don't particularly fault JoePa. It would take more than a mere man to not want to hold on to the type of power and influence he had for years and years. But in the end, his thirst for the status and power of being Joe Paterno, head coach, did him in. History is rife with examples of people in all walks of life (politicians, rock stars, kings/queens, coaches etc.) not knowing when to throw the towel in and tarnishing their legacies for it. JoePa is just one of many.

Moreover, I've defended McQueary when most people can't recognize his situation was far more difficult than instincts and radio talking heads would lead you to believe. I'm not out to lynch PSU.

Anyway, all those facts/allegations are completely lacking right now re: Boeheim. Maybe that will change. All told, that leads to you looking ridiculous in your original crude analogy about "firing Boeheim and figuring the rest out later."

Just like it was sad to see OSU people pointing at Miami and PSU, it's sad to see PSU fans try to analogize this Boeheim thing to Paterno to make themselves feel better. No one's a winner.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10845
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby Red13JoePa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:33 am

And I'm disappointed youd' tell me take his cock out of my mouth for simply withholding jusdgement.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3
 
Posts: 11647
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Ehwmatt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:34 am

Fact Finder wrote:BreakingNews


Scott Paterno says his father, Joe Paterno, has a treatable form of lung cancer - @AP

5 minutes ago


Joe's not long for this world. Lung cancer or not, he lived for Penn State football. He's old and the only thing he can look forward to any more is being swamped with subpoenas, deposition notices, and court summonses for the rest of his life. His spirit will be crushed. And at that age, that tends to crush the body. Sad situation.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10845
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:16 am

Breaking News



.@nytimes, @NBCPhiladelphia reporting Second Mile, charity founded by Jerry Sandusky, is looking to fold http://nyti.ms/uBFu5q

18 minutes ago


STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — The local charity founded by Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State defensive coordinator who earlier this month was charged with 40 counts of sexually abusing young boys, is preparing to fold as it tries to reconstruct what it knew, and did, about any suspicions or allegations against Sandusky over the years.

David Woodle, the chief executive of the charity, known as Second Mile, said in an interview Friday that the foundation was seeking to transfer its programs to other nonprofit organizations. The Second Mile’s leaders are looking at a limited number of organizations that could, and would, carry forward the foundation’s work with disadvantaged youth. He would not say which organizations would be candidates.

“We’re working hard to figure out how the programs can survive this event,” Woodle said. “We aren’t protective of this organization that it survives at all costs.”

The Pennsylvania attorney general has said that Sandusky used the Second Mile to prey on young boys, and that Sandusky met each of the eight boys he has formally been accused of raping or otherwise assaulting through the foundation. Thousands of children passed through the foundation, which was formed by Sandusky in 1977 and offered mentoring, sleep-away summer camps and other services.

On Sunday, the charity’s board of directors authorized the hiring of Lynne M. Abraham and the law firm Archer & Greiner to conduct an independent investigation into Second Mile. The investigation will seek to discover the extent of contact Sandusky had with children who went through the program, when the program learned about various allegations against Sandusky, and how it handled them.

Several board members have expressed dismay that the allegations against Sandusky were minimized whenever they were brought up, according to people on the board. They are also concerned that after they were told that Sandusky would not be at Second Mile events, he nonetheless appeared at the annual golf fund-raiser in June.

While declining to go into detail about complaints the charity has received, Woodle said it was natural for people to ask, “How come I didn’t know about this earlier?” noting “that’s a sentiment that exists across the country right now.”

Woodle took over as the head of the organization this week after Jack Raykovitz resigned after 28 years as chief executive. The closing of the foundation is the latest casualty in a scandal that has led to the departures of Joe Paterno, the longtime football coach at Penn State, and the university’s president, Graham B. Spanier.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Fact Finder » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:11 am

Off topic...


Report: Urban Meyer agrees to coach Ohio State Buckeyes
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby geminix » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:59 pm

Apparently Paterno had a few run ins with the standards and conduct officer of PSU back in 2005 and again in 2007.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/spo ... e-Fallout/
User avatar
geminix
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:11 am
Location: Georgia

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:30 am

Family member said among Sandusky new cases

One of the two new allegations of child sexual abuse against former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky was made by a family member, Sandusky's attorney Joe Amendola said, according to The Patriot-News of Harrisburg.

Amendola said the incident is alleged to have occurred before Sandusky was arrested earlier this month on charges he molested eight boys over a 15-year period, but was not brought to the attention of authorities until after Sandusky was charged, according to the report.

Pennsylvania's Children and Youth Services agency opened preliminary investigations of the two new cases against Sandusky within the last two months, the newspaper reported Tuesday. If the cases are deemed credible, they would be the first allegations made against Sandusky by persons who are still children, according to the report.

Sandusky has maintained he is innocent of the charges.

In Pennsylvania, adult allegations of abuse are handled by police, even if they occurred when the accuser was a child, while CYS' involvement is triggered when allegations involve children younger than 18.

The scandal resulted in the Penn State board of trustees dismissing longtime football coach Joe Paterno and president Graham Spanier, saying the men failed to act after a graduate assistant claimed he saw Sandusky sexually abusing a young boy in a campus shower in 2002.

It also led to charges of failing to properly report suspected abuse and perjury before a grand jury against athletic director Tim Curley and former senior vice president Gary Schultz. Both men have said they are innocent of the charges.

Attorneys for Curley and Schultz wrote to state prosecutors Tuesday to seek grand jury testimony and other information related to their cases.

The attorneys are seeking corroboration of statements by assistant coach Mike McQueary that he told Schultz and Curley he witnessed Sandusky sodomizing a boy in the football team showers in 2002.

The lawyers say that corroboration is required to prove perjury. They also want any information showing McQueary and Sandusky socialized together after the 2002 incident.

The attorney general's office declined to comment.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:33 am

Penn St. cops report 2000 pool assault


STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State University police say they've referred another previous incident of indecent assault to the Attorney General's Office.

The Centre Daily Times reports Sunday that chief Tyrone Parham says the assault "by a known individual" took place in an outdoor swimming pool building sometime between June 1, 2000 and Aug. 30, 2000.

The report was made to university police on Wednesday by a person who was a visitor to the pool.

The paper reports that Parham couldn't say if the "known individual" is Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State defensive coordinator who's been charged with 40 counts of child sex abuse after a two-year investigation by the Attorney General's Office. Sandusky says he's innocent.

In other developments, the Patriot-News of Harrisburg reports that the first alleged abuse victim of Sandusky has withdrawn from his Clinton County, Pa. high school because of bullying.

The victim's psychologist, Mike Gillum, told the paper that Central Mountain High School students were misplacing their anger at Joe Paterno's firing and blaming the 17-year-old, who left the school in the middle of his senior year after experiencing a rash of verbal taunting and name-calling.

Gillum also noted that school officials neglected to offer guidance and counseling for fellow students.

The officials were unavailable for comment Sunday, the paper reported.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:37 am

Breaking News


All Centre County Common Pleas Court judges recuse themselves in Jerry Sandusky abuse case - AP
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
User avatar
Fact Finder
MP3
 
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PreviousNext

Return to Death By Stereo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Boomchild and 4 guests