Newt Gingrich Sued for using Eye Of The Tiger

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Newt Gingrich Sued for using Eye Of The Tiger

Postby Slander » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:55 am

"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Re: Newt Gingrich Sued for using Eye Of The Tiger

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:16 am

Slander wrote:http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-survivor-eye-of-the-tiger-composer-lawsuit-newt-gingrich-rocky-iii-20120130,0,6165205.story

I got a call about this today....I am looking it up to see what is up....
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Slander » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 am

I just heard Peterik on WLS Roe & Roeper about the Sullivan lawsuit against Newt Gingrich. He says he has no involvement in Survivor and even mentioned Jamo getting back in the band. In regards to Newt using Tiger, Peterik says he is apolitical, doesn't like lawsuits, wouldn't choose to do that. Interesting interview.
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 am

Not often it can be said but "GO FRANKIE!"
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Slander » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:05 am

TageRyche wrote:Not often it can be said but "GO FRANKIE!"

I couldn't agree more. It was interesting to hear Peterik say that he wasn't against others using the song. Peterik says "song inspires so much controversy", "I love it." It was clear from the interview that JP and FS are not working together, period!
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby RockInDetroit » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:55 pm

YOU GO FRANKIE!
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:09 pm

Slander wrote:

I couldn't agree more. It was interesting to hear Peterik say that he wasn't against others using the song. Peterik says "song inspires so much controversy", "I love it." It was clear from the interview that JP and FS are not working together, period!

http://www.suntimes.com/10332797-418/fo ... tiger.html

JP is actually FOR Gingrich!!!!
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:14 pm

Joe Vana wrote:

http://www.suntimes.com/10332797-418/fo ... tiger.html

JP is actually FOR Gingrich!!!![/quote]

Oh gawd no.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Eyeof » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:53 pm

Go JP!

:D

Really, can we just stop with the lawsuits...what band has more lawsuits than albums????
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:27 am

I scratch my head every time a politician tries to use a song without first clearing it.

Just makes no sense, it's impossible you're NOT going to get sued.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Slander » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 am

Red13JoePa wrote:I scratch my head every time a politician tries to use a song without first clearing it.

How hard is it to ask permission? Just out of courtesy! Imagine, politicians using movie clips in their adds? Or having artwork displayed at their events? Does an artist in music, film, art have a right to have their work NOT associated with someone whose opinions and ideas do not reflect their own? It's an interesting and complicated question.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:51 am

Eyeof wrote:Go JP!

:D

Really, can we just stop with the lawsuits...what band has more lawsuits than albums????

Jackson Brown, Tom Petty! Here' is Frankie talking about why he sued. I wish the reporter would have let Frankie talk more instead of going on and on herself. Damn let the subject tell the story.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:42 am

Slander wrote:
Red13JoePa wrote:I scratch my head every time a politician tries to use a song without first clearing it.

How hard is it to ask permission? Just out of courtesy! Imagine, politicians using movie clips in their adds? Or having artwork displayed at their events? Does an artist in music, film, art have a right to have their work NOT associated with someone whose opinions and ideas do not reflect their own? It's an interesting and complicated question.

It's baffling. And of course, I suspect it's mostly the staffers and not the pols themselves but how DUMB are you people who do this??
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:04 am

Basically, if you're a Republican, stick to playing Ted Nugent songs.

Newt is a douche.

So is Frankie.

Carry on.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:15 am

Ehwmatt wrote:Basically, if you're a Republican, stick to playing Ted Nugent songs.

Newt is a douche.

So is Frankie.

Carry on.

I talked to FS this morning....I will say this...he is doing this for all the right reasons....I HATE lawsuits, but even I would back this one....AND on another note....JP said last night and I quote "I hear Jimi Jamison is back in Survivor"....I guess what I heard about he and JJ is right...not good....

And...Newt was against SOPA....so I guess he is getting why artists wanted it!!!!

Have a great day guys!!!

JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Tito » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:22 am

Joe Vana wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203920204577193261646566778.html

And...Newt was against SOPA....so I guess he is getting why artists wanted it!!!!

Have a great day guys!!!

JV

SOPA is bad. That bill better never pass.
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:27 am

Tito wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203920204577193261646566778.html

Have a great day guys!!!

JV

SOPA is bad. That bill better never pass.

Who asked you Tito!!?? Hahahaha...call me tonight....did you get my email this morning?
JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:49 am

Wait, what did you hear about JJ and JP?
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby bulldog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:16 am

Wow ! Frankie Sullivan seems a lot like former WWE Superstar " Ultimate Warrior" . You really can't fault someone for protecting their lifes work. Frankie always protects what he believes is his rights . I am sure a lot of these things end up out of court settlements and artist , athletes and those involved with these things get to live comfortably with the results of these settlements.

This really puts a splash and a buzz on the Survivor brand etc. This is a bigger slice of media frenzy than could ever be made by a new cd.

I am getting a vibe that Jimi Jamison and Jim Peterik aren't close anymore . This would be a bad thing if this was true.

Doesn't Peterik get the same rewards as Sullivan when these kind of things happen ?

This band seems to always have controversy ..

Unreal that with all the songs that were ever made by thousands of artist Eye Of The Tiger just might be one of the biggest of them all .
bulldog
Ol' 78

Postby Joe Vana » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:13 pm

"Doesn't Peterik get the same rewards as Sullivan when these kind of things happen?"

I can't say too much...but NO!!!!! Never has on Tiger....read into that as you would like...JV
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby def » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:55 pm

I am not sure whether it is really a promising way to get back into german newspapers, but this lawsuit thing worked out:

http://www.welt.de/politik/wahl/us-wahl ... -Song.html
def
Ol' 78

Postby Slander » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:15 am

def wrote:I am not sure whether it is really a promising way to get back into german newspapers, but this lawsuit thing worked out:

http://www.welt.de/politik/wahl/us-wahl ... -Song.html

I actually think this whole thing is a brilliant move by Frankie. I really do! First he can stand by his beliefs while taking aim at Gingrich, who is in the news daily!
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:45 am

agreed, I saw Frankie on CNN last night and this morning and thought "Cool. Publicity, at least."
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Slander » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:08 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Publicity, at least."

Now let's parlay that publicity into something real!
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Eyeof » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:34 am

Not to be a debbie downer guys, but i don't care anything about reading FS go on about his latest lawsuit...

Slander, you know as well as I do, it will never turn into anything constructive at all, because it never does...

I don't care about anyone's politics on here, but the truth of the matter is that if FS would put half the effort into making some music and really touring, that he does into sueing people, he'd have three new albums and we could all see them twice a year...

As for JV's comment, sounds like JP is 'yet another satisfied customer' in the line of folks that FS has ran the vibe bus over...
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby Slander » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:38 am

Eyeof wrote:As for JV's comment, sounds like JP is 'yet another satisfied customer' in the line of folks that FS has ran the vibe bus over...

I have to tell you Eye, I am a fan of JP. I buy his music, but I did not like the interview he gave WLS radio the on Monday. I didn't like it all. Tiger has value, does it not? I was disappointed he was so willing to give it to anyone who wants to use it. I think it diminishes the song.
Last edited by Slander on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby bulldog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:29 am

Heck , Newt should just bring the band out on tour ! All publicity is good publicity ! This seems to be the biggest thing Frankie has ever done . The song and the message of Frankie's beliefs really makes me proud to be a fan again .

I just find it unreal that a 30 yr old song is still so vibrant and viable .

When stuff like this happens it seems that there is so much money in royalties to be made that Frankie just does this because he loves it .
bulldog
Ol' 78

Postby Slander » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:32 am

bulldog wrote:Heck , Newt should just bring the band out on tour ! All publicity is good publicity !

When stuff like this happens it seems that there is so much money in royalties to be made that Frankie just does this because he loves it .

Completely disagree with you on this! Frankie should not sell out. It's not a question of money, it's a question of character.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Joe Vana » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:48 pm

Eyeof wrote:Not to be a debbie downer guys, but i don't care anything about reading FS go on about his latest lawsuit...

Slander, you know as well as I do, it will never turn into anything constructive at all, because it never does...

I don't care about anyone's politics on here, but the truth of the matter is that if FS would put half the effort into making some music and really touring, that he does into sueing people, he'd have three new albums and we could all see them twice a year...

As for JV's comment, sounds like JP is 'yet another satisfied customer' in the line of folks that FS has ran the vibe bus over...

NO!!! Not the case with JP!!!! FS did nothing wrong there....JP would back that up.....it is something else...

Thanks!!!
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby axecrew » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Joe's right on this one guys......frankie and jim both made decisions years ago on tiger royalties etc and it seems to have benefitted frankie more long term.
axecrew
LP

Next

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)