VAN HALEN A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH(JUST BOUGHT IT)

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

VAN HALEN A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH(JUST BOUGHT IT)

Postby Bobby Van Halen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:01 am

Hi Everybody,

Fisrtly i'll just say this.I am a massive VH fan and always have been.I love all eras of the band and basically couldn't wait to get this new cd.

Here is My brief review of the album.

Tattoo;Didn't like it when i first heard it and don't like it now.Boring.

She's The Woman;Great song.Has that vh vibe.Sounds very Fair Warning..ish to me.

You and Your Blues;Another great song,This is quite catchy and rocks.Dave sounds great here.

China Town;Cool tune....imagine hot for teacher 2012 style..heavy tune,great guitar.

Blood and Fire;Best track on the album...diver down meets 5150..this should've been the 1st single.Catchy and one hell of a chorus.
Bobby Van Halen
Ol' 78

Postby Bobby Van Halen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:15 am

Bullethead;This is plain bad.

As Is;This is quite good...fast and furious..im starting to love this song..

Honey baby Sweetie Doll;GARBAGE...this is bad.

The Trouble with Never;Sounds like something out of Daves solo albums...its ok...chorus is cool

Outta Space;Not my thing here

Stay Frosty;vh attempts ice cream man part 2...this doesn't work

Big River;I like this alot.To me it sounds like kiss meets van halen.But it's different and eddie just shreds.Love it

Beats Workin;Imagine D.O.A..this is it...great tune

All in all not a bad cd.I will be honest and say i was expecting more.I wanted to hear something a bit more catchier,But the band sound great.There are a few fillers,But this is a rocking cd to blast out at summer time...I give it a 7/10 Keep Rockin...
Bobby Van Halen
Ol' 78

Postby Tito » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:05 am

7/10? That's all you give it! Change your name to Bobby Van Hagar, right now! :lol:
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:42 am

Nothing on this CD is garbage. Tattoo is the weakest song, but still listenable.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Andrew » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:27 pm

NealIsGod wrote:Nothing on this CD is garbage. Tattoo is the weakest song, but still listenable.

+1
Andrew
Administrator

Postby strangegrey » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:18 am

NealIsGod wrote:Nothing on this CD is garbage. Tattoo is the weakest song, but still listenable.

Ironic, it's exactly the opposite to me. I find Tattoo is one of two strong (relatively speaking) songs on the record (Blood and Fire being the other). The rest is garbage. The songs aren't there on this record. They're just not.

You (not you Nig, speaking generally) can cite 'energy' til the cows come home....but at the end of the day, energy doesn't bring you back for another listen 2 months from now. Songs do.....and these songs are just plain bad.

Nothing on aDKOT even comes remotely close to anything on VH1, Fair Warning, 1984 or even Me Wise Magic.
strangegrey
Stereo LP

Postby No Surprize » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:49 am

strangegrey wrote:

Ironic, it's exactly the opposite to me. I find Tattoo is one of two strong (relatively speaking) songs on the record (Blood and Fire being the other). The rest is garbage. The songs aren't there on this record. They're just not.

You (not you Nig, speaking generally) can cite 'energy' til the cows come home....but at the end of the day, energy doesn't bring you back for another listen 2 months from now. Songs do.....and these songs are just plain bad.

Nothing on aDKOT even comes remotely close to anything on VH1, Fair Warning, 1984 or even Me Wise Magic.

I agree. I love "Tattoo" and from what I heard of "Blood and Fire" gave me the notion that this was going to be a killer cd in the vain of "1984". And now your saying that the other tunes are nowhere near this? I have refused to listen to the other songs, just old school and want to hear it in it's entirety from track one to what ever. I'm about the songs. The music has to fit into the context of a good or great song. The hook's, the riff's, the chorus all have to be there somewhat for me to enjoy it. I hope it's not like the last Journey cd, man I will be bummed.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:43 am

No Surprize wrote:
strangegrey wrote:

I agree. I love "Tattoo" and from what I heard of "Blood and Fire" gave me the notion that this was going to be a killer cd in the vain of "1984". And now your saying that the other tunes are nowhere near this? I have refused to listen to the other songs, just old school and want to hear it in it's entirety from track one to what ever. I'm about the songs. The music has to fit into the context of a good or great song. The hook's, the riff's, the chorus all have to be there somewhat for me to enjoy it. I hope it's not like the last Journey cd, man I will be bummed.

You And Your Blues, She's The Woman and Outta Space are strong. You have to judge for yourself when you hear it. Your opinion is what will matter to you.

I just got tix for VH in Atlantic City
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby No Surprize » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:35 pm

AR wrote:
No Surprize wrote:
strangegrey wrote:

You And Your Blues, She's The Woman and Outta Space are strong. You have to judge for yourself when you hear it. Your opinion is what will matter to you.

AR, tickets go on sale tomorrow for Amway(Orlando) @10am. A fucking Monday! Who the fuck can call in sick on Monday! It's tempting I know. I could say it's the day after the superbowl holiday and sound hungover. Any way, How much did you pay for 2 after all of ticket bastard's charge's , sur-charge's and tax's? Good seats?
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:38 am

No Surprize wrote:
AR wrote:
No Surprize wrote:
strangegrey wrote:

AR, tickets go on sale tomorrow for Amway(Orlando) @10am. A fucking Monday! Who the fuck can call in sick on Monday! It's tempting I know. I could say it's the day after the superbowl holiday and sound hungover. Any way, How much did you pay for 2 after all of ticket bastard's charge's , sur-charge's and tax's? Good seats?

We have excellent seats. $149 + 21.80 in fees = $171.30. Although better value would have been in the upper level which would have been $96 after fees. Boardwalk Hall is very small (14,000 seats) and the upper level is more like a middle concourse in most arenas

I will never though criticize Ticketmaster again after having to deal with Ticketly for M3 Festival tickets this week. Their website crashes, is horrible to navigate and the fees are just as bad if not worse. At least "Ticketbastard" has a professional, easy to use site.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby mrsromek » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:45 pm

To those that are buying it on Tuesday, where are you getting it? I saw Wal Mart gives a T-shirt with the Deluxe for $19.99.
mrsromek
45 RPM

Postby AR » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:56 am

mrsromek wrote:To those that are buying it on Tuesday, where are you getting it? I saw Wal Mart gives a T-shirt with the Deluxe for $19.99.

Got the deluxe edition on Friday for $14.99 at a local music store that put it on the shelves early.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby livin2do » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Just got mine at Best Buy... One thought keeps rolling through my mind - my first impression of the album - is that they did it. They absolutely nailed this release. I was worried they would be trying too hard to sound like old Van Halen. Instead, I am amazed at how effortlessly they have recreated the band's sound. Is there an "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" or a "Jamie's Cryin'" on here? Not necessarily, but each song bears the hallmarks of the legend that is VAN HALEN. And Eddie sounds unbelievable. It is so good to hear him play again finally. My fave so far is Big River, but there's a lot to love on here. Welcome back to the brown sound - we've missed you!
livin2do
45 RPM

Postby atticus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:56 pm

I dig it. Eddie sounds amazing and playing his ass off. So far Blood and Fire is my fave track.

I was equally surprised at no keyboard oriented tunes.
"I am just a musical prostitute,my dear" -- Freddie Mercury
atticus
Ol' 78

Postby MRM » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:21 am

This CD is the classic VH sound. Like another person said, there may not be that one or two songs that will stand out for a long time. But overall, it's strong. If somebody is looking for some strong lyrics, they need to follow Chickenfoot or one of the progressive metal bands. DLR has never been serious and never will be. You have to take that for what it's worth. But the three Van Halens have it down on this album. The only thing missing is Michael Anthony's background vocals.
MRM
Radio Waves

Blown away!!

Postby mrsromek » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:17 pm

All I can say is WOW. This album proves why they are kings in the music scene...in the 70s, 80s, and in 2012. It flat out kicks ass. Although I'm not a fan of EVH treating MA like shit, and I got sick of his bitching and moaning over the years, he really plays his ass off and has some riffs that sound amazing (and who cares if they're reworked from 1977?). DLR is DLR and honestly, his vocal/lyrical formula works-at least for me. And it works quite well on this one. During my first listen, I could almost picture him delivering some of these tunes live. The drums sound good-and fast. I do have a question for you music aficianado's out there....did Wolfie really play bass on the tracks on this album? From what I heard, it sounds like some solid playing, but I still can't believe he went from being a teenage bass player to the bass player in VH.
mrsromek
45 RPM

Postby Seven Wishes2 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Amazing album. Drew was spot on with this review. 97/100.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe."
---Albert Einstein
Seven Wishes2
Cassette Tape

Van Halen

Postby epresley » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:54 am

This is the album I knew they could do. I think it KILLS!!!!!!!
It's not a lie, if you believe it..........
epresley
Cassette Tape

Postby Red13JoePa » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:59 am

Stay Frosty absolutely melts your face when EVH picks up the Frankestrat and starts opening fire. Never heard a sound like come out of a guitar.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Real rock fan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:27 am

I'm loving this, classic Van Halen for me, Eddie's playing at times is exceptional.
Real rock fan
Ol' 78

Postby NealIsGod » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:03 am

It's just amazing to hear a record like this released in 2012. VH is showing the kids how it's done.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby AR » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:43 pm

NealIsGod wrote:It's just amazing to hear a record like this released in 2012. VH is showing the kids how it's done.

I agree. It's like a time machine on CD. We had no business expecting something to come out in 2012 sounding this close to the vintage sound. It really is remarkable. And no it is not perfect, and I have read some valid criticisms, but 3 of these fuckers are 60 YEARS OLD!!!!!!! They don't sound like it though.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:34 am

Andrew wrote:

+1

Not getting the repeating of this mantra at all...

I think it is deceptively heavy and a groover that builds...it outflanks you with its hardness rather than grabs you by the throat and punches you in the face like You And Your Blues. My top 4 are Stay Frosty, then Blues, then She's The Woman followed by Tattoo...all after that are kind of on a par to me.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:56 am

Honestly, I think VH wanted Tattoo to be the albums hit song, like Jump was on 1984. With me, it's not, but I think it's a cool song.

These guys are like every other aging/old band. They're just out of touch with what makes a hit, and frankly, in this day and age, no matter what they write, it's not going to be a hit. They may have thought "What can we write about that connects with today's listening audience? Well, everyone's getting tattoos these days, so let's write a song about that." Not a bad idea, at all, but it missed the mark, as it's not even a hit with us old fucks.

Edit:

What I didn't say was that I love the album. Wolf is a bit too high in the mix though. Glad you're proud of your boy, Eddie.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Michigan Girl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:23 am

I'm loving it thus far, don't feel cheated, thrilled
w/this lineup (miss ma), it isn't 1984 nooo more,
but it's classic VH...stay frosty!! :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Michigan Girl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:06 am

Real rock fan wrote:I'm loving this, classic Van Halen for me, Eddie's playing at times is exceptional.

Agreed ...I read a review somewhere that said,
"when Roth is in the band EVH plays guitar like the world wants him to ..."
the spotlight issue ...^^^^I agree!! :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara