Whitney Houston Dead

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:04 am

G.I.Jim wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:I am devastated by her death, but the loss for me/the fans happened years ago …
I’m sad for her family and friends now …her family fought for her.

I was so hoping she had overcome her demons and gotten on the
right track when she and Clive got back together for her last LP …
and then I watched the Oprah interview and I knew it wasn’t over (the drugs).
She blamed Bobby, her fame, the media but she never really owned up
to the fact that it was Whitney who made the choices and she
was the only one w/the power to change. When Oprah asked her if it
was over (the drug use), the eye contact broke and her response took my breath
away … it was just skirting.

Demons aside, I am a huge fan of the voice that was Whitney and it is sad!

+1. I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't understand how some here can be so cruel when it comes to death. Yeah, she had a drug problem. We all have problems, and we all deal with those problems in our own ways. You can all speak your minds freely, and not feel sorry for her if you don't want to. As for me... I do feel sorry for her. I feel bad for the fact that she couldn't figure out her life and get away from drugs. I feel bad for her daughter and her family who loved her. I don't feel bad for Bobby's loss, and maybe this event will help him deal with his own problems and get his own life straight. I hope so for his daughter's sake.

I think she was an amazing singer, and I'm glad for the songs she gave us.

She was a revolting kunt. There's nothing to feel sorry for. She had her chance at life, had the world by the balls, and blew it all up her nose. My relatives who died in their 40s and 50s from breast cancer, heart attacks, and what not would kill to have had some extra years to see their children and grandchildren grow up, play college sports, get married etc. In contrast, she killed herself in the most despicable and deplorable way possible--slowly, with substances (and who knows--I think she committed suicide). Nope, fuck her. She hasn't been relevant and I suspect hasn't been much of a mother in years, so there's truly nothing sad about it.

Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby G.I.Jim » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:40 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:I am devastated by her death, but the loss for me/the fans happened years ago …

+1. I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't understand how some here can be so cruel when it comes to death. Yeah, she had a drug problem. We all have problems, and we all deal with those problems in our own ways. You can all speak your minds freely, and not feel sorry for her if you don't want to. As for me... I do feel sorry for her. I feel bad for the fact that she couldn't figure out her life and get away from drugs. I feel bad for her daughter and her family who loved her. I don't feel bad for Bobby's loss, and maybe this event will help him deal with his own problems and get his own life straight. I hope so for his daughter's sake.

She was a revolting kunt. There's nothing to feel sorry for. She had her chance at life, had the world by the balls, and blew it all up her nose. My relatives who died in their 40s and 50s from breast cancer, heart attacks, and what not would kill to have had some extra years to see their children and grandchildren grow up, play college sports, get married etc. In contrast, she killed herself in the most despicable and deplorable way possible--slowly, with substances (and who knows--I think she committed suicide). Nope, fuck her. She hasn't been relevant and I suspect hasn't been much of a mother in years, so there's truly nothing sad about it.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it Matt. Maybe when you're a parent, you'll see things differently. Was she a shitty mother? Yep! Was she a drug addict? Yep, yep. But ultimately she was a person. She was loved by her family and by many of her fans. She wasn't perfect, and none of us are. If you had problems, would you want people saying you were a piece of shit after you die? I don't think so. All I'm saying here is that more respect could be shown for the dead around here.

It's been the same here for MJ, Heath Ledger, Anna Nicole... it's like people love to see people like them die, then throw dirt on their graves. I think it's disgusting, and while I may not agree with their choices and decisions... they're still people. I wouldn't wish death on anyone unless they caused other people death, or were abusive to others.

Again... it's just MY take on it, and my $.02 for what it's worth.
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby artist4perry » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:59 am

I feel sorry for anyone who is so unhappy that they need to get a fix just to exist. How lonely and sad of a life. I feel she had so much going for her, and something she tried as a lark, under encouragement, or desperation has sucked the very life she had out of her. I don't do drugs, but then again I never started drugs. I saw their destruction. I saw people die years after quitting due to the damage they did to their body years before.

Someone on here once said they wanted fame and money. It is clear to see it does not give happiness. One must find that within. I am sorry Whitney never found it inside herself. You have to learn to like yourself first. Be sure of who you are, and never let a stupid high replace a love for life. Your high should be life itself. We can learn from her sorrow.

I am with GI, all joking aside, if it was someone you love how would you want people to act at their death?
artist4perry
MP3

Location: Running around in the vast universe that is my imagination. Send help!

Postby Lora » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:15 am

G.I.Jim wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it Matt. Maybe when you're a parent, you'll see things differently. Was she a shitty mother? Yep! Was she a drug addict? Yep, yep. But ultimately she was a person. She was loved by her family and by many of her fans. She wasn't perfect, and none of us are. If you had problems, would you want people saying you were a piece of shit after you die? I don't think so. All I'm saying here is that more respect could be shown for the dead around here.

It's been the same here for MJ, Heath Ledger, Anna Nicole... it's like people love to see people like them die, then throw dirt on their graves. I think it's disgusting, and while I may not agree with their choices and decisions... they're still people. I wouldn't wish death on anyone unless they caused other people death, or were abusive to others.

We worked with Whitney on and off from the late 1990's to 2010. She was so awesome with her fans - very warm and giving. I too find these death jokes very inappropriate regardless of who they are about. Someone lost their mom, their daughter, their loved one. No one is saying Whitney was perfect or made all the right choices but she gave joy to so many. I think Barbra Streisand said it best - "How sad her gifts could not bring her the same happiness they brought us."
Lora
8 Track

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:58 pm

G.I.Jim wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:

I don't see how I could "wish death" on anyone who's already dead. I hadn't thought of Whitney Houston in YEARS until she died, so you couldn't be farther off the mark. I view her life and legacy with the disdain I do because of the very reasons you cite: she was a mother, daughter, and (presumably) a friend (to someone other than needles and fairy dust). She had an obligation to act with at least a modicum of maturity and self-control, and she didn't.

The "she wasn't perfect, but none of us are" line is as tired and wrong-headed as people deflecting the government's growing intrusions into our privacy by saying "It's ok, I've got nothing to hide." No one in my life has problems anywhere near approaching hers or Ledgers or whomever else's; interestingly, none of them had the same advantages and opportunities that these failures did, either. It's time we strip away the political correctness in this country and start being honest. These celebrities are abject failures of basic humanity. They lack resilience, discipline, perseverance, and an ability to live on anywhere near the same terms as the rest of us average joes and jills do. Sure, they might contribute to our lives with their God-given talents, but I cannot respect someone who pisses life away. And I won't honor them in death or eulogize them in false terms by ignoring the giant elephant in the room: they were pathetic wastes. For us fans' AND the celebrities own good, we HAVE TO STOP FETISHIZING these deaths as if the celebs are making the ultimate artistic sacrifice.

Tell me Jim, would you have been on here singing the same tune if this were 1995 and we were talking about Kurt Cobain's death? I doubt it. It's selective sympathy because you enjoyed her music. I understand this reaction; most people are like this. I don't roll that way. I loved Boston, but I'm still pissed at Brad Delp and feel the same way about the choice he made. And I'll still call it what it is.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby G.I.Jim » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:17 pm

To answer your question Matt... Yes I would have said the same thing if it were Cobain's life we were talking about. While I HATED the music he put out to our society, he was still a life. A valid life with feelings, a family (including his coke head wife) who loved him, and his fans. No, I didn't like him or anything he stood for, but if you were talking about his death this way, I'd still say the same thing.

Wether we resect these people as actors, musicians, singers, etc... we need to respect the fact that they ARE still people, and even though they've made mistakes in life, they will be sorely missed. Respect for the dead is just that. You can have your opinions about them all day long, but when you throw those opinions up right after they die... you sound like the crazy "Baptist" church that protests soldiers when they come home.

All I ask is that you show respect to the dead unless it's someone like Bin Laden, etc.... If they didn't kill others, let's offer them some respect. It's the right thing to do.
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby Ftloperry » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:43 pm

Very sad to see another great singer leave us way too soon. Whitney had her battles through out her life and at times it looked like she had over come them. She was always gracious and giving to her fans and we need to remember the precious gift of her voice and not remember all the battles she had. She has left a legacy of songs that we will remember always and left a voice that we will never hear from anyone else.
Ftloperry
8 Track

Postby annie89509 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Another "troubled" celebrity died young...of course, it's all very sad and what a waste. Some years back, there was a thread started asking to name favorite singers. Whitney was on my list of 5...the only female. Never heard a more captivating, powerful female voice in my life...(I'm not a fan of opera). When her comeback album came out in '09 and she did some promo interviews, I was shocked to hear her singing had lost that signature range, and her voice seemed "hoarse-y."

I heard Lionel Ritchie spoke about Whitney yesterday. He said the public does not understand the kind of pressures and insecurities artists put themselves through. When you have such a "gift" and reached the pinnacle of your profession, then realizing that gift is slipping away, all the while seeing other (younger) singers moving into your spot possessing the kind of powerful voice (that you used to have) and being talked about as another "you"... well, that is sometimes hard to bear.

Of course, we are not in their shoes, we have no idea what their personal/professional/family lives are like...what they have to go through day by day. All we see are the smiles as they get their photos taken/printed and the seemingly luxurious lifestyle... (for all we know) they may be suffering terribly inside.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Another sad story

Postby No Surprize » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:39 pm

"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby conversationpc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:58 am

My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby Deb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:28 am

Ehwmatt wrote:She was a revolting kunt. There's nothing to feel sorry for. She had her chance at life, had the world by the balls, and blew it all up her nose. My relatives who died in their 40s and 50s from breast cancer, heart attacks, and what not would kill to have had some extra years to see their children and grandchildren grow up, play college sports, get married etc. In contrast, she killed herself in the most despicable and deplorable way possible--slowly, with substances (and who knows--I think she committed suicide). Nope, fuck her. She hasn't been relevant and I suspect hasn't been much of a mother in years, so there's truly nothing sad about it.

Revolting kunt?? Wow, serious words there Matt, what did she piss in your cornflakes or something? Quite an intense reaction to a celebrity's death? Nobody is asking you to feel sorry for her, but that pissed? None of us have ANY idea of the life they lead and the pressures (mistakes and all). Everything they do is picked apart to the nth degree. And from all reports her and her daughter Bobby Christine were extremely close (which tends to be the case after a tough divorce). Daughter was so distraught she had to be hospitalized the next morning. Sorry, but yeah she had to have been some kind of a mother, and I feel some compassion there.

She may have been messed up and in the end couldn't fight her demons (although toxicology has yet to be released).....but like Jim said she was still somebody's family/friend etc and shared a great talent for many years.

I guess I'll just never understand a few people's......such intense negative reactions to celebrities sometimes........on this site. :?
Now Playing: Green Tinted Sixties Mind - Live. https://youtu.be/e9YPFXVNINU?si=zDfcdUBpoaDSatLG
Deb
MP3

Postby hoagiepete » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:04 am

Sure is alot of over-the-top comments around here (what's new). Learned long ago it's easy to judge and criticize when it's not you going through it.
hoagiepete
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:31 am

You guys are right. I repent. I'll be holding a candle light vigil for her tonight. Join me.

Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Uno_up » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:55 am

It's hard for me to go along with the "so talented" stuff when she was only a singer. She didn't write most of her stuff and wasn't a musician. I honestly thought she oversang everything she ever recorded, and she spawned a generation of vocal masturbating imitators that drove me out of my fucking mind in supermarkets and elevators and in chick's cars. She had talent but her style was so bombastic plastic, and obnoxious. She also only did shitty songs written by music industry hacks or raped other artists creations, incapable of actually creating original work (listen to Dolly Parton's original beautiful evocative "I will always love you".)...And by most accounts the woman was a C_UNT.

I was far more saddened and impressed by Amy Winehouse's pathetic passing and creative and vocal talent, shitshow that she was... that was a waste (I came to appreciate her last year post-death). Whitney was done. Listen to "Valerie" by a.w. then give me a single w.h. track that won't make me vomit in comparison.
I think if people can't see the difference in greatness between say Whitney, Mariah, Christina, Cher, etc vs. Aretha, Babs, Chrissie Hynde, Patsy Cline, Billie Holiday,Amy Winehouse and recently Adele, in terms being an artist beyond physical talent, then they do not have a great connection with art. They are the sort that like to be amused and entertained and distracted as opposed to needing a deeper connection with the artist, needing to be emotionally moved in some way. It's the difference between Ray Charles and Frank Sinatra. You can like both of course, but Sinatra was more about entertainment. Ray was more about music as healing and emotional outlet. I'm a Ray man. Though I won't knock Frank, he was a fine showman.
Last edited by Uno_up on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Uno_up
Cassette Tape

Postby Behshad » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:00 am

Behshad
MP3

Postby strangegrey » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:00 am

LOL! You stole that from me Matt!!! I was just going to post it!
strangegrey
Stereo LP

Postby brandonx76 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:26 am

Knocked it out of the park man...I especially liked this part:

Uno_up wrote:I think if people can't see the difference in greatness between say Whitney, Mariah, Christina, Cher, etc vs. Aretha, Babs, Chrissie Hynde, Patsy Cline, Billie Holiday,Amy Winehouse and recently Adele, in terms being an artist beyond physical talent, then they do not have a great connection with art. They are the sort that like to be amused and entertained and distracted as opposed to needing a deeper connection with the artist, needing to be emotionally moved in some way.
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNY » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:37 am

I pretty much agree with both parties. There's nowhere to go emotionally and you must split it down to middle. For me, anyhow. I see what Matt is saying and that whole light he spreads is all correct in my eyes. On the other hand, respecting the dead and understanding that people are suffering from this is not easy to take in from any kind of standpoint.

My take? I loved Whitney's voice. As a celebrity and entertainment figure to not only this world, but myself, it's sad to see her pass away (no different than Michael Jackson) because she was involved in what brings most of us happiness from a pure emotional standpoint, and that's music. Entertainers today have a different life feed than the fans do. The fans look up to their beloved entertainers as, in most case's, Gods and we watch their every move as a testament to our own motivation and guidelines. People like Whitney are legends and are on top of the world in our eyes and with that, comes a life of intense scrutiny mixed with power and this is where our own hero's bite the dust.

It shows their human. No amount of money, independ-ancy or freedoms can save the pressure these celebrities go through on a daily basis to keep their spot atop stardom and they turn to narcotics and drugs to follow through with those pressure's to perform not only to themselves, but to the world. The mind is a powerful thing, and once you lose it, it's hard to gain it back and that's what has happened to stars like Houston, Jackson and Whinehouse. They chose an epic lifestyle that they ultimately succumbed to because of the incredible amount of freedom and expectations of being the best of the best in the human race.

Under all of that, is a person. That little girl that simply lifted the spirits up in Church everyday and acted as innocent as the child sitting next to you. Houston was a mother, a daughter and a friend that sealed her own fate of being so powerful that she became weak. I call it selfish. I call it an utter failure and most of that anger and emotion I've felt over the death of celebrities comes from my own selfish outlook on how I enjoyed their gifts and how I connected through them as my own person. We all do it. I think it's more of disappointment because each person in life has a choice, regardless of stature and where you fall on the life-chart, and her choice was to drown out her own sorrow's to drugs and that's as weak as it comes. As I said, deep down, those actions proved her human side and that even though she owned the most powerful singing voice, changed millions of lives and had a beloved daughter, that she simply had demons of her own that she couldn't overcome and that's sad in its own right. One that I respect when it comes to death when it comes to one individual and that one individual only.

One of the heavyweights in the celebrity world that seemed to beat Hollywood and beat the system was Celine Dion. I believe she will go down as one of the greats that not only was a champion of the industry she subsided in, but also went about her business by grace, pride and responsibility to her own craft.
YoungJRNY
Compact Disc

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:30 am

Fact Finder wrote:
I pretty much agree with both parties.

Ok folks, we all know about Whitney and MJ and Winehouse, Jim Morrison et al...

how do we feel about someone like Freddie, who only simply took one wrong cock up the poop shoot? :shock:

(I say simply with a pained expression) :wink:

Taking it up the poop chute is not the only way to get HIV. I'm sure he was aware of the dangers, and your point does ring true.

Here's my take on the whole thing and it includes me and the way I feel about my own life.

Live your life the way you want to. If you like eating cheese burgers until your arteries close up and kill you, then do it. We're here for a relatively brief amount of time. Not even a blink of the eye in the scope of the universe, so by all means, enjoy yourself while you're here. You're not going to escape death, it's coming, and it's going to get you. If you choose to lead a healthy lifestyle and enjoy doing that, you will avoid it for a tenth of a blink longer.

It's your life. Enjoy it and do what you want.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:03 pm

strangegrey wrote:LOL! You stole that from me Matt!!! I was just going to post it!

Fuck man. My bad for the plagiarism. I attributed it to you over at WTF, and I thought I did here too. I definitely stole it from your status update on my news feed. I hereby attribute the hilarity of that picture to you.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby SusieP » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:26 am

What I just don't get is why the success, adulation and money isn't enough of a high.
Why do these successful stars have to then take drugs when they have all that?
Why isn't it enough?

http://www.smoothduo.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/SuzeFromSmoothDuo/ Twitter @smoothduo
Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

Postby steveo777 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:37 am

SusieP wrote:What I just don't get is why the success, adulation and money isn't enough of a high.
Why isn't it enough?

Because, just maybe, they do not feel worthy of all that they have been able to achieve, so they begin a subconscious mental self destruction and don't want to feel some of the feelings that come with being ultra successful.
steveo777
MP3

Postby Duncan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:47 am

Rick wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:

how do we feel about someone like Freddie, who only simply took one wrong cock up the poop shoot? :shock:

Taking it up the poop chute is not the only way to get HIV. I'm sure he was aware of the dangers, and your point does ring true.

Here's my take on the whole thing and it includes me and the way I feel about my own life.

Live your life the way you want to. If you like eating cheese burgers until your arteries close up and kill you, then do it. We're here for a relatively brief amount of time. Not even a blink of the eye in the scope of the universe, so by all means, enjoy yourself while you're here. You're not going to escape death, it's coming, and it's going to get you. If you choose to lead a healthy lifestyle and enjoy doing that, you will avoid it for a tenth of a blink longer.

It's your life. Enjoy it and do what you want because there is no afterlife

Well said Rick. You missed the last little bit, but I've fixed that for you.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear. - Thomas Jefferson
Duncan
Cassette Tape

Postby brandonx76 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:51 am

steveo777 wrote:
SusieP wrote:What I just don't get is why the success, adulation and money isn't enough of a high.
Why isn't it enough?

Because, just maybe, they do not feel worthy of all that they have been able to achieve, so they begin a subconscious mental self destruction and don't want to feel some of the feelings that come with being ultra successful.

I think that's conjecture but it's an interesting topic. Here's a couple of thoughts:

1. Entertainers / overly creative types (and manic depressives) tend to have a different type of brain chemistry than normal folks

2. Addiction issues are not exclusive to the famous. Some are more susceptible becoming an addict vs. others

3. Fame in and of itselfcreates a 'high', so supplanting that with drugs is easy to see.

4. It definitely seems like there were alot more reckless drug usage back in the 70's and 80's when Whitney was up and coming or successful

5. Illegal drugs did not kill Whitney, the legal ones did. Perhaps she thought she was managing her addictions and past problems with illegal drugs and didn't take heed of the inherent risk with her Physician prescribed drugs. She should not have been partying all night drinking

just some thoughts, not writing a thesis here..hahaha
Last edited by brandonx76 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby Behshad » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:52 am

Duncan wrote:
Rick wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:

It's your life. Enjoy it and do what you want because there is no afterlife

We get it, let it go man. :roll:
Behshad
MP3

Postby verslibre » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:03 am

Duncan wrote:
Rick wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:

It's your life. Enjoy it and do what you want because there is no afterlife for losers.

There, I fixed it for you. No extra charge for the punctuation, either. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Behshad » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:11 am

verslibre wrote:
Duncan wrote:
Rick wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:

It's your life. Enjoy it and do what you want because there is no afterlife for losers.

There, I fixed it for you. No extra charge for the punctuation, either. :lol:

:lol:
Behshad
MP3

Postby brandonx76 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Chris Cornell covers "I Will Always Love You"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... gFAq9Q8l8U
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby Maui Tom » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:26 pm

brandonx76 wrote:Chris Cornell covers "I Will Always Love You"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... gFAq9Q8l8U

Thanks for this...fantastic....
Your life is now your life is now your life is now
Maui Tom
Cassette Tape

Postby SusieP » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Well I still don't get why the success, adulation and money aren't enough and they need to take drugs.

When I've sung to an audience all night and get applause and good comments from them afterwards, I go home happy and go to sleep with a smile on my face and the satisfaction that people had a good time.

And also, after working in day jobs I hated for years until I was able to quit and make a living from singing, I am now so happy being able to do this, that I get enough of a high from that.

And even if I have a bad night, I just get on with it because you can't please everyone all of the time - but I would never take drugs to help me over it.

And years ago when I had an accident which led to my left foot being partially severed and reconstructed with pins and wires, I was prescribed pain killing drugs to deal with that, but I weaned myself off them pretty damn quick because I didn't want to become reliant upon them.

So I truly cannot understand why stars take drugs.

Maybe they are just greedy and their success, no matter how stellar just isn't enough to feed their greed????

http://www.smoothduo.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/SuzeFromSmoothDuo/ Twitter @smoothduo
Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara