Time for Cain/Perry

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Time for Cain/Perry

Postby yandtguy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:12 am

With Journey derailing, I think it's time for Cain to make the call to Perry, do whatever it takes to patch things up, and help him finish the material Perry has been working on for years. I know that Cain and Neal have been closer partners over the years (Journey, Bad English, appearances of each their respective solo albums), but Journey is turning into a joke. A new Perry album, with Cain's inolvement, would at least bring some positive PR to the Journey camp. When TMZ becomes the main source of information for your band, you know you're turning into a joke. Jump ship, Cain, and let the current Journey ship sink. Then, just maybe, it can be rebuilt bigger and better in a couple of years. Neal has always been my favorite Journey member up until this year. Now, it's becomming even more clear why Journey has been so dysfunctional over the years. Everybody must have been covering for Neal's sorry self.

Greg
yandtguy
Ol' 78

Re: Time for Cain/Perry

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:23 am

yandtguy wrote:With Journey derailing, I think it's time for Cain to make the call to Perry, do whatever it takes to patch things up, and help him finish the material Perry has been working on for years. I know that Cain and Neal have been closer partners over the years (Journey, Bad English, appearances of each their respective solo albums), but Journey is turning into a joke. A new Perry album, with Cain's inolvement, would at least bring some positive PR to the Journey camp. When TMZ becomes the main source of information for your band, you know you're turning into a joke. Jump ship, Cain, and let the current Journey ship sink. Then, just maybe, it can be rebuilt bigger and better in a couple of years. Neal has always been my favorite Journey member up until this year. Now, it's becomming even more clear why Journey has been so dysfunctional over the years. Everybody must have been covering for Neal's sorry self.

Greg

Derailing? With new music and big tours? I wanted them to patch it up when JSS was un-ceremonially released because they looked like they were directionless then. But they are a successful and active band right now.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Scarab Pilot » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:52 am

yandtguy wrote:With Journey derailing, I think it's time for Cain to make the call to Perry, do whatever it takes to patch things up, and help him finish the material Perry has been working on for years. I know that Cain and Neal have been closer partners over the years (Journey, Bad English, appearances of each their respective solo albums), but Journey is turning into a joke. A new Perry album, with Cain's inolvement, would at least bring some positive PR to the Journey camp. When TMZ becomes the main source of information for your band, you know you're turning into a joke. Jump ship, Cain, and let the current Journey ship sink. Then, just maybe, it can be rebuilt bigger and better in a couple of years. Neal has always been my favorite Journey member up until this year. Now, it's becomming even more clear why Journey has been so dysfunctional over the years. Everybody must have been covering for Neal's sorry self.

Greg

WIN!

My wife and I were discussing this the other day and she said something I know folks will find blasphemous. She said...you know Neal can be replaced. There are pleny of guitar players out there that are just as talented as he is...get a new one. I'd love to see Cain and Perry put something together. Journey is becoming a joke just after I felt it was becoming respected by a lot of people.
"Well let me tell you what problems Steve Perry has. The only problem Steve Perry has is that he's alive just like you are and he has to wake up in the morning like you do and he has to face the world exactly like you do. " ~ Steve Perry
Scarab Pilot
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:12 am

Perry should never have left the writing fold. If he can't tour, sit it out, and let the band continue. Better to partially contribute then not at all. As it is, Perry lets them tour, gets a percentage, and has no input in what material they call Journey.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Don » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:27 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Perry should never have left the writing fold. If he can't tour, sit it out, and let the band continue. Better to partially contribute then not at all. As it is, Perry lets them tour, gets a percentage, and has no input in what material they call Journey.

Has any band continued on like that before? Racking my brain but can't come up with anything.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:34 am

Don wrote:Has any band continued on like that before? Racking my brain but can't come up with anything.

TOTO had some tracks co-written by replacement vocalist, Joe Williams, but ultimately recorded and performed on tour by original singer, Bobby Kimball. Either way, if Perry wants to protect the stone, you'd think he'd try to *do* something.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Don » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:45 am

When Bucky Larson gets to use a Journey song, I think the tide has turned as far as protecting the music and all that other Jazz Perry has been spewing over the years. There will not be another DSB. With the dismal sales of the Greatest Hits 2 package, I expect the band to throw in the tow as far as filtering licensing requests and go full bore while they still have an opportunity.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Ritchie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:01 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Don wrote:Has any band continued on like that before? Racking my brain but can't come up with anything.

TOTO had some tracks co-written by replacement vocalist, Joe Williams, but ultimately recorded and performed on tour by original singer, Bobby Kimball. Either way, if Perry wants to protect the stone, you'd think he'd try to *do* something.

Kimball and Williams even shared the stage on a few occasions,there is no animosity between those guys.
Ritchie
45 RPM

Postby onmyjrny » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:01 am

Would Perry have had to approve the Faithfully/Bucky Larson thing since he did not write the song?
onmyjrny
45 RPM

Postby Don » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 am

onmyjrny wrote:Would Perry have had to approve the Faithfully/Bucky Larson thing since he did not write the song?

The Harry Fox Agency, which is the mechanical licensing agent and provider of rights administration services in the U.S has Jonathan Cain and Steve Perry listed as the writers.

That supersedes anything printed on the album sleeve.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby jrny84 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:25 am

I would pay good money to see Cain and Perry play a few dates in the U.S. Neal seems to be notorious for making extremely poor decisions... period. I like Neal as a musician, but he as lost some of my respect. If Cain and Perry were still together and Neal was not in the group, I often wonder how popular they would be today?
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby Don » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:31 am

jrny84 wrote:I would pay good money to see Cain and Perry play a few dates in the U.S. Neal seems to be notorious for making extremely poor decisions... period. I like Neal as a musician, but he as lost some of my respect. If Cain and Perry were still together and Neal was not in the group, I often wonder how popular they would be today?

I don't think it would be much different. The exception being that they might actually get a residency in Vegas or something but as far as more radio play or album sales, I can't imagine anything changing.

A duet between Perry and Cain's daughter might provide a little jump start to her career though.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:55 am

I actually really like the idea of Cain "helping" Perry finish up the material he has been working on. Perry has said many times that he is his own worst enemy. He NEEDS someone to guide him AND tell him when to move on. Cain and Perry had a very good writing relationship starting with Open Arms and culminating with the ROR album. And it is worth mentioning that I have never really thought of OA or ROR as good "Journey" but they are good. Removing the Journey name would show the quality IMO. So Perry/Cain sounds good to me. It wouldn't be "rock" but it wouldn't have to be.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:57 am

Don wrote:When Bucky Larson gets to use a Journey song, I think the tide has turned as far as protecting the music and all that other Jazz Perry has been spewing over the years. There will not be another DSB. With the dismal sales of the Greatest Hits 2 package, I expect the band to throw in the tow as far as filtering licensing requests and go full bore while they still have an opportunity.

Sadly, I agree with this...
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:48 am

Scarab Pilot wrote: My wife and I were discussing this the other day and she said something I know folks will find blasphemous. She said...you know Neal can be replaced. There are pleny of guitar players out there that are just as talented as he is...get a new one. I'd love to see Cain and Perry put something together. Journey is becoming a joke just after I felt it was becoming respected by a lot of people.

Its just not Journey without Schon. It's his band. Cain and Perry would produce Journey-esque Street Talk/ROT type albums and I'd buy them and go see them....bit Journey is Schon's band.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Rick » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:52 am

Eric wrote:
Scarab Pilot wrote: My wife and I were discussing this the other day and she said something I know folks will find blasphemous. She said...you know Neal can be replaced. There are pleny of guitar players out there that are just as talented as he is...get a new one. I'd love to see Cain and Perry put something together. Journey is becoming a joke just after I felt it was becoming respected by a lot of people.

Its just not Journey without Schon. It's his band. Cain and Perry would produce Journey-esque Street Talk/ROT type albums and I'd buy them and go see them....bit Journey is Schon's band.

It would have to be a big name dude for me to buy into it. Steve Lukather comes to mind, but other than that, I wouldn't bother. Lincoln Brewster can emulate Schon pretty well, but I wouldn't pay to see Journey with him on guitar.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Memorex » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:56 am

I would far rather see Schon/Perry than Cain. Perry/Cain may have been a great writing team, but Schon/Perry sounded the most amazing together. Take some of the older songs with really bad lyrics - they sounded amazing.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Infinity Vocalist 2010 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:36 am

I'd see Journey if Stephen Chesney was on lead guitar, for sure. For those of you who may ask "Who the fuck is that?", Stephen was the lead gtr. for Frontiers up until late 2011. Closest thing to Schon in my book, and then some.
"If it's sharp, if it cuts, enjoy yourself." - Edge of the Blade
Infinity Vocalist 2010
45 RPM

Postby Rick » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:37 am

Infinity Vocalist 2010 wrote:I'd see Journey if Stephen Chesney was on lead guitar, for sure. For those of you who may ask "Who the fuck is that?", Stephen was the lead gtr. for Frontiers up until late 2011. Closest thing to Schon in my book, and then some.

For as young as he is, he's damn good.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby yandtguy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:41 am

Touring with Loverboy is high profile? They are stuck back in the summer package tours of outdoor sheds. The band failed to capitalize on the exposure they received from Arnel's rags to riches story by releasing an album which did not appeal to a wide audience and failed to produce a song which received decent radio play or was used in any promotions (ads, tv shows, sport telecasts, movies). Now, the band is trying to exploit a tablet romance by slapping together a tacky, amateurish video (with varying video formats) to promote what? An album that has lost its legs? Neal's attempt to start a reality show career? The ship's going down. Cain should be smart enough to realize that. I'll take a Perry album with Cain on board before a new Neal wankfest recorded when Neal can drag himself away his new career path.
yandtguy
Ol' 78

Postby yandtguy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:46 am

How about this...Neal takes a sabbatical from Journey and hands the reigns over to Myles? He can emulate his dad dead-on and doesn't bring the baggage with him. Also, it would be cool to see what Arnel and he could come up with... two younger guys injecting some fire.
yandtguy
Ol' 78

Postby Rick » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:06 am

yandtguy wrote:How about this...Neal takes a sabbatical from Journey and hands the reigns over to Myles? He can emulate his dad dead-on and doesn't bring the baggage with him. Also, it would be cool to see what Arnel and he could come up with... two younger guys injecting some fire.

Hmmm.... You got me there. I'd pay to see that, for sure.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby annie89509 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:18 pm

jrnyman28 wrote:I actually really like the idea of Cain "helping" Perry finish up the material he has been working on. Perry has said many times that he is his own worst enemy. He NEEDS someone to guide him AND tell him when to move on. Cain and Perry had a very good writing relationship starting with Open Arms and culminating with the ROR album. And it is worth mentioning that I have never really thought of OA or ROR as good "Journey" but they are good. Removing the Journey name would show the quality IMO. So Perry/Cain sounds good to me. It wouldn't be "rock" but it wouldn't have to be.

Good points. And it's been said they spent a lot of time together writing the songs for TBF, too.

JC has said over the years he would like to write with SP again...I believe Jon feels the 2 had a writing connection that he has never had with anyone else ("we're basically romantics at heart" is a direct quote from back then). But, in recent years, when asked about a possible reunion, Jon has referred back to his recollection on BTM that during the breakup, Steve said to him... "you know, there's no going back." And, he added that "(SP) is a man of his word." So, essentially, there's no hope of a reunion.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby onmyjrny » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:22 am

annie89509 wrote:
jrnyman28 wrote:I actually really like the idea of Cain "helping" Perry finish up the material he has been working on. Perry has said many times that he is his own worst enemy. He NEEDS someone to guide him AND tell him when to move on. Cain and Perry had a very good writing relationship starting with Open Arms and culminating with the ROR album. And it is worth mentioning that I have never really thought of OA or ROR as good "Journey" but they are good. Removing the Journey name would show the quality IMO. So Perry/Cain sounds good to me. It wouldn't be "rock" but it wouldn't have to be.

Good points. And it's been said they spent a lot of time together writing the songs for TBF, too.

JC has said over the years he would like to write with SP again...I believe Jon feels the 2 had a writing connection that he has never had with anyone else ("we're basically romantics at heart" is a direct quote from back then). But, in recent years, when asked about a possible reunion, Jon has referred back to his recollection on BTM that during the breakup, Steve said to him... "you know, there's no going back." And, he added that "(SP) is a man of his word." So, essentially, there's no hope of a reunion.

Agree with this. And I think it is pretty telling that Perry has mentioned Neal MUCH more in recent interviews than Jon. It seems to me that Steve and Jon would have been closer since they wrote so much together. I wonder if he harbors some ill feelings towards Jon since he was the one who told him they were moving on without him?
onmyjrny
45 RPM

Postby ebake02 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:37 am

I used to think that if Neal left then Journey was toast but opinion has changed as of lately. I'm starting to see that Cain is the real anchor in the band, without him you have no songwriting or no music writing either for that matter.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby G.I.Jim » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:46 am

I'd love to see Perry, Cain, Smith, Valory, and Lincoln Brewster do an album. I think it would be awesome!! I also like the idea of Cain just helping Perry finish what he already has. He could polish those songs into some gems for sure. :D
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby escapefan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:40 am

G.I.Jim wrote:I'd love to see Perry, Cain, Smith, Valory, and Lincoln Brewster do an album. I think it would be awesome!! I also like the idea of Cain just helping Perry finish what he already has. He could polish those songs into some gems for sure. :D

I so agree.. Would love to see what the two of them could write together now.
escapefan
45 RPM

Postby journey361 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:08 pm

I feel like it's Tommy Joe Ratliff's gig to get if Neal leaves. Monty Pittman could also get into the mix and if Perry can't pull off the old Journey tunes, they could concentrate on vocals for the For Your Entertainment tracks. Off course Lambert would have to give an OK with it. He wouldn't really care because he is singing Freddie's songs on tour anyway.
journey361
LP

Postby koberry » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:35 pm

Neal is a rock dog - why do you expect him to be something other than he is? This guy's been living the rock star life since touring with Santana at age 15. You wouldn't let your kids look up to some thug basketball player as a role model. So why would you hold Neal to a higher standard. The dude's an amazing, creative artist. Stop expecting so much from any of these guys and just enjoy the music and their talents for what they are.
koberry
45 RPM

Postby Don » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:11 pm

koberry wrote:Neal is a rock dog - why do you expect him to be something other than he is? This guy's been living the rock star life since touring with Santana at age 15. You wouldn't let your kids look up to some thug basketball player as a role model. So why would you hold Neal to a higher standard. The dude's an amazing, creative artist. Stop expecting so much from any of these guys and just enjoy the music and their talents for what they are.

You know what though, Journey made their own bed in that regard a few years ago. When Arnel came on board, it was all about becoming a family oriented band and attracting the younger generation. Neal was allegedly on the wagon, Deen was off of drugs and Arnel was making them all better people, a tight knit family (or so it seemed).

In all honesty though, the guy doesn't like much of a rockdog in the recent interviews with Michaele. As was mentioned already, Neal looks like a chump who can only speak when given the green light by Salahi. In her presence, dude appears neutered big time.
Don
Super Audio CD

Next

Return to Journey