Journey in Nashville this weekend

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey in Nashville this weekend

Postby fightingilliniJRNY » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:10 am

Alright, time to move the talk away from off-stage antics of the band and back to live performances! :lol:

I'll be seeing Journey tomorrow night at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in Nashville as part of a benefit show for a local school district. Even though it's a benefit show, it sounds like they will still be playing about 90 minutes (which ironically is longer than they played on the Night Ranger/Foreigner tour). The venue seats about 2,000 people, so it should be a unique environment. I'm curious to see what they sound like after a few months of nothing. This will be my 15th show, but I have never seen them separately from a tour like this.

The other part of this is I'm guessing that they are filming Crossroads with Rascal Flatts while they are here - probably Saturday night. That should be interesting if it comes to fruition. I can't find confirmation of this since Crossroads operates secretly, but it makes sense that they would do a "warm-up" show right before filming something like this.

I'll be sure to report back. Rip, I think you're going tomorrow night, too, right?
fightingilliniJRNY
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:45 am

I thought about purchasing tickets, but they were wayyyy too expensive.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby fightingilliniJRNY » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:16 am

Gideon wrote:I thought about purchasing tickets, but they were wayyyy too expensive.

2-for-1 tickets this week! That's why I got them. I wasn't going to go, either. Enter the promo code "ANYWAY".

http://patron.tpac.org/main.taf?p=9,5,1 ... ionID=2627
fightingilliniJRNY
Cassette Tape

Postby Don » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:34 am

You should go and see them this week, Gideon.
For myself, seeing Journey these last few years has been nice but not at all comparable to when I saw them In my youth as a new fan. Those four shows from 81 through 83 are ingrained in memory and a very cherishable one at that.
For yourself, the odds of seeing this version of Journey down the road 10 or 20 years from now is probably zilch. You never know, the 'wokstah' could fall off stage again and that could be it. Don't wait for next time because before you know it, it will all be over.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Gideon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:51 am

fightingilliniJRNY wrote:
Gideon wrote:I thought about purchasing tickets, but they were wayyyy too expensive.

2-for-1 tickets this week! That's why I got them. I wasn't going to go, either. Enter the promo code "ANYWAY".

http://patron.tpac.org/main.taf?p=9,5,1 ... ionID=2627

Nice. I'm sorely tempted, but Nashville drivers are the worst as you can probably attest. I can't imagine getting my ass on the interstate at night with those guys, but we'll see.

The code is already applied. Where do you get them?
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby fightingilliniJRNY » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:59 am

Gideon wrote:Nice. I'm sorely tempted, but Nashville drivers are the worst as you can probably attest. I can't imagine getting my ass on the interstate at night with those guys, but we'll see.

The code is already applied. Where do you get them?

You should just be able to click that link above and then either do "2 - Best Available" on the left or "Select Your Own Seat" on the right. My thinking was along the same lines as Don. I just don't know how much longer I'll be able to see them. Might as well drive an hour and check it out in a setting like this.
fightingilliniJRNY
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:02 am

I see it now, my bad. I'm discussing it with the gf and see if she wants to go. Are you and Rip definitely going?
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby fightingilliniJRNY » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:30 am

Gideon wrote:I see it now, my bad. I'm discussing it with the gf and see if she wants to go. Are you and Rip definitely going?

I'm there for sure. I thought I remember seeing Rip say that he is going, too. The place only seats 2,000 people. Cool environment.
fightingilliniJRNY
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:40 am

fightingilliniJRNY wrote:
Gideon wrote:I see it now, my bad. I'm discussing it with the gf and see if she wants to go. Are you and Rip definitely going?

I'm there for sure. I thought I remember seeing Rip say that he is going, too. The place only seats 2,000 people. Cool environment.

I'm 98% sure I'll be going. My mom has never seen them live even though they were one of her favorites, which tipped my decision.
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby fightingilliniJRNY » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:42 am

Gideon wrote:I'm 98% sure I'll be going. My mom has never seen them live even though they were one of her favorites, which tipped my decision.

Nice! That's great! 8)
fightingilliniJRNY
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:36 am

Tickets purchased. The gf requested balcony seats so as to avoid tall people standing in front of her/us.
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Infinity Vocalist 2010 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:07 pm

I wonder if they'll still be playing the setlist detuned...
"If it's sharp, if it cuts, enjoy yourself." - Edge of the Blade
Infinity Vocalist 2010
45 RPM

Postby steveo777 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Infinity Vocalist 2010 wrote:I wonder if they'll still be playing the setlist detuned...

Probably in the original key since it's a one nighter and lots of rest afterwards. It would be cool, since it's a small gig, if they'd pull out some deeper cuts and newer stuff.
steveo777
MP3

Postby Don » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:03 am

I just heard they cut the ticket prices in half. 400 seats left out of 1,661 as of now. They'll be giving tickets away for 15 dollars, 90 minutes prior to the show start if you have a student I.D.
Last edited by Don on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Gideon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:07 am

Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Michigan Girl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:12 am

Don wrote:I just heard they cut the ticket prices in half. 400 seats left out of 2,000 as of now. They'll be giving tickets away for 15 dollars, 90 minutes prior to the show start if you have a student I.D.

That's a shame ...where are all the Nashville area diehards?!?
Geez, this s a perfect setting to see ones favorite band!!
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Don » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:14 am

Comedian Henry Cho will be the opener.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Don » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:19 am

Michigan Girl wrote:
Don wrote:I just heard they cut the ticket prices in half. 400 seats left out of 2,000 as of now. They'll be giving tickets away for 15 dollars, 90 minutes prior to the show start if you have a student I.D.

That's a shame ...where are all the Nashville area diehards?!?
Geez, this s a perfect setting to see ones favorite band!!

Today is the last day of a three day ho down with a bunch of country acts performing at the Country Radio Seminar. Maybe that has tided everyone over.

http://www.billboard.com/#/column/the-6 ... ost_recent

I corrected the venue capacity. It's 1,661.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Michigan Girl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:26 am

Don wrote:Comedian Henry Cho will be the opener.

Had to look him up, but he got his start in the state so people
there should know him.

"Cho, who is of Korean American descent, was raised in Knoxville and went into stand-up comedy in 1986.[1] He attended University of Tennessee at Knoxville, and moved to Los Angeles, California in 1989 to pursue his career, but always with the intent of returning to his roots in Tennessee.

Cho often uses his childhood experiences as an Asian American in the South in his comedy.
"I'm an Asian with a Southern accent," remarks Cho, "To a lot of people, that right there is funny

That ^^^^sounds familiar to me.

RIP, Ginger, Ginger's hubby ...you all need to hit the road.
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Don » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:28 am

Michigan Girl wrote:

there should know him.

"Cho, who is of Korean American descent, was raised in Knoxville and went into stand-up comedy in 1986.[1] He attended University of Tennessee at Knoxville, and moved to Los Angeles, California in 1989 to pursue his career, but always with the intent of returning to his roots in Tennessee.

Cho often uses his childhood experiences as an Asian American in the South in his comedy.
"I'm an Asian with a Southern accent," remarks Cho, "To a lot of people, that right there is funny

I think Rip is already there with his plokker friends.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Michigan Girl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:34 am

Don wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:

there should know him.

I think Rip is already there with his plokker friends.

Oh well, no worries. If he can borrow a student ID, he'll buy the rest
of the tickets at $15.00 a pop and pass them out ...good deal!!
There is NO excuse for one empty seat in this venue!! :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Don » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:43 am

Maybe they just don't like Asians down there.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Rockindeano » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:49 am

Because Rascal Flatts will probably be there too, and they are the REAL draw, not journey.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Rockindeano » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:51 am

Don wrote:I just heard they cut the ticket prices in half. 400 seats left out of 1,661 as of now. They'll be giving tickets away for 15 dollars, 90 minutes prior to the show start if you have a student I.D.

Are you fucking kidding? if this is true, it's time to retire. PATHETIC, PATHETIC, PATHETIC. LOL, 1400 people in a city the size of Nashfuckinville? Retire already, go away, never come back, ever.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Don » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:50 am

Surprised that Journey hasn't put anything on their facebook page about this show tonight or the discount for students. On second thought, I'm not surprised at all.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby steveo777 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:06 am

Don wrote:Surprised that Journey hasn't put anything on their facebook page about this show tonight or the discount for students. On second thought, I'm not surprised at all.

Any planning is normally an afterthought with this bunch. :D
steveo777
MP3

Postby Gideon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:03 am

I live in southern KY and I didn't hear much of it beyond what was circulated here.
Is Rascal Flatts performing also??
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Don » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:09 am

Gideon wrote:I live in southern KY and I didn't hear much of it beyond what was circulated here.
Is Rascal Flatts performing also??

I believe Journey will tape for the Rascal Flatts Show Saturday night but tickets for that are by invitation only or some shit like that.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Rip Rokken » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:34 am

Down here now having a blast - and who do I run into in the elevator, but... RossValoryRocks!!! No need for a sellout crowd tonight... Stu and I have things covered audience-wise.

Rip Rokken
Digital Audio Tape

Postby artist4perry » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:37 am

Rip Rokken wrote:Down here now having a blast - and who do I run into in the elevator, but... RossValoryRocks!!! No need for a sellout crowd tonight... Stu and I have things covered audience-wise.

Photos and stories .... Remember I can find you if you don't. :twisted: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun! :D Wish I were with you! Give RVR a big hug for me if you see him again!
artist4perry
MP3

Location: Running around in the vast universe that is my imagination. Send help!

Next

Return to Journey