Separate Ways for classical guitar

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Separate Ways for classical guitar

Postby Navarro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi,
I thought some of you here might enjoy this. I recorded it with my dog today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgAkazHh ... ata_player

All the best!
Navarro
Ol' 78

Re: Separate Ways for classical guitar

Postby Rick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:12 pm

Navarro wrote:Hi,
I thought some of you here might enjoy this. I recorded it with my dog today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgAkazHh ... ata_player

All the best!

Very cool, Navarro. Your guitar has a fantastic sound to it. Very well done, sir.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Navarro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed it. I love classical playing because you can play everything, kind of. And like most Journey fans, I love the guitar and vocals. It is in the original key too. Lol, which ( e minor) is a great key for solo guitar arrangements.
Navarro
Ol' 78

Postby tater1977 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Wow very nice..nice tone..Thanks for sharing...
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Navarro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:05 pm

tater1977 wrote:Wow very nice..nice tone..Thanks for sharing...

Your welcome, thanks for listening! I have a few other Journey arrangements in the works as well-OA and DSB are basically done, but on the back burner (I have considered doing the majority of GH). I have some other stuff I have to practice for some jobs.
Navarro
Ol' 78

Postby journeyMusic » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Nicely done!
journeyMusic
45 RPM

Postby Navarro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:33 pm

journeyMusic wrote:Nicely done!

Thanks!
Navarro
Ol' 78

Postby Gideon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Badass, man.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Liam » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:01 pm

WOW...that was incredible.
Liam

"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get it, and keep goin'." - Rocky
Liam
MP3

Postby Navarro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:59 pm

Thanks guys! I am glad you enjoyed it. It is fun to play too.
Navarro
Ol' 78

Postby Ehwmatt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:55 am

Very well done man. How long did it take you to work up the arrangement? I love the harmonics you did for the guitar solo. Very inventive. Andy McKee would be proud.

Do you have the know-how/capability of recording this to ProTools, Logic, or something else? I would love to hear a recorded version with all the advantages a multi-take recording offers.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby donnaplease » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:09 am

This is freakin' awesome! GREAT job!!! 8)
donnaplease
Stereo LP

Postby DrFU » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 am

Coolness!
DrFU
Stereo LP

Postby Jeremey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:30 am

Great job man! Would love to hear Open Arms if you ever get that worked up! I always imagined that would be a great song to have just a guitar arrangement.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby Navarro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:09 am

Ehwmatt wrote:Very well done man. How long did it take you to work up the arrangement? I love the harmonics you did for the guitar solo. Very inventive. Andy McKee would be proud.

Do you have the know-how/capability of recording this to ProTools, Logic, or something else? I would love to hear a recorded version with all the advantages a multi-take recording offers.

Wow, thanks, I am flattered by the reaction I have gotten here. Well, I have a lot of guitar students and during down time I just do these arrangements by ear. Journey's music is really in my blood so to speak. I have been listening to it since I was 6. I just do these for fun and gradually refined it over the course of a few months. I have played at a few gigs and people really dig it. I have Sony Acid, but am not too saavy of a recording guy. I am old school with my classical background. You just learn so you don't drop hardly any notes. I have considered doing a recording of arrangements and some my original CG music.
Navarro
Ol' 78

Postby Navarro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:15 am

Jeremey wrote:Great job man! Would love to hear Open Arms if you ever get that worked up! I always imagined that would be a great song to have just a guitar arrangement.

Thanks, Jeremy! I have done an Open Arms arrangement (about 10 years ago for gigs) and recently started some revisions. My ear and technique have gotten better some I have so new ideas for it. It is such a great melody and like SW works just fine in the original key of D on gtr. I have thought about doing an album of arrangements of the GH, but the copyright issues are scary!
Navarro
Ol' 78

Postby AR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:54 am

Can your dog play guitar?
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNY » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:22 am

I enjoyed that. 'Liked' on Youtube. 8)
YoungJRNY
Compact Disc

Postby Ehwmatt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:36 am

Navarro wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:Very well done man. How long did it take you to work up the arrangement? I love the harmonics you did for the guitar solo. Very inventive. Andy McKee would be proud.

Wow, thanks, I am flattered by the reaction I have gotten here. Well, I have a lot of guitar students and during down time I just do these arrangements by ear. Journey's music is really in my blood so to speak. I have been listening to it since I was 6. I just do these for fun and gradually refined it over the course of a few months. I have played at a few gigs and people really dig it. I have Sony Acid, but am not too saavy of a recording guy. I am old school with my classical background. You just learn so you don't drop hardly any notes. I have considered doing a recording of arrangements and some my original CG music.

I know two big Dream Theater fans began rearranging Dream Theater tunes with acoustic guitars and vocals. They are called Pipo and Elo. When Portnoy was in the band, he noticed it. And he loved it so much that he made their acoustic covers the house pre-gig music at a lot of DT shows. Cool story. And it'd be cool to see your shit get the same treatment.

If you have any music friends or anyone who could help you record these at good quality, it'd be a blast!
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Navarro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:52 am

YoungJRNY wrote:I enjoyed that. 'Liked' on Youtube. 8)

Thanks!
Navarro
Ol' 78

Postby Archetype » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:53 am

Love this
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Navarro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:58 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
Navarro wrote:

I know two big Dream Theater fans began rearranging Dream Theater tunes with acoustic guitars and vocals. They are called Pipo and Elo. When Portnoy was in the band, he noticed it. And he loved it so much that he made their acoustic covers the house pre-gig music at a lot of DT shows. Cool story. And it'd be cool to see your shit get the same treatment.

If you have any music friends or anyone who could help you record these at good quality, it'd be a blast!

It would be cool. The comments I have received have made me interested in arranging the GH again. I would love to do this and record them especially if there is audience which it seems there may be. I need to figure out the copyright laws.
Navarro
Ol' 78

Postby TRAGChick » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:17 am

Ehwmatt wrote:Very well done man. How long did it take you to work up the arrangement? I love the harmonics you did for the guitar solo. Very inventive.

Agreed ~ Most Excellent! 8)

I absolutely love Classical / Flamenco Acoustic Guitar....hearing this brings me back to Wednesday Afternoon Music Recitals when I studied Music in College....nice form, btw! :wink:
Facebook: Search TRAG
TRAGChick
Compact Disc

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:43 am

AR wrote:Can your dog play guitar?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Navarro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:04 pm

TRAGChick wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:Very well done man. How long did it take you to work up the arrangement? I love the harmonics you did for the guitar solo. Very inventive.

Agreed ~ Most Excellent! 8)

I absolutely love Classical / Flamenco Acoustic Guitar....hearing this brings me back to Wednesday Afternoon Music Recitals when I studied Music in College....nice form, btw! :wink:

Thank you and anyone I missed!
Navarro
Ol' 78

Postby Navarro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:10 pm

Rick wrote:

That is one of my two dachshunds, Janie. She is my constant companion. The minute she hears the sound of a single note, she come running to my " guitar" room. We rescued her. She spent far too many years in a puppymill and music soothes her, I think. My other dog likes music, but not as much.
Navarro
Ol' 78

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:17 pm

Navarro wrote:
Rick wrote:

That is one of my two dachshunds, Janie. She is my constant companion. The minute she hears the sound of a single note, she come running to my " guitar" room. We rescued her. She spent far too many years in a puppymill and music soothes her, I think. My other dog likes music, but not as much.

That's very cool, man. AR caught me off guard with that comment and it cracked me up. :lol:
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Michigan Girl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:00 am

Navarro wrote:
Rick wrote:

Bravissimo, Navarro, you play beautifully ...smooth, flawless!!
The puppy~girl is also priceless ...rescue dogs are the best, I have
heard from so many!! :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby TRAGChick » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:48 am

Navarro wrote:
Rick wrote:

Oh wow....she's so cute!

Just "camouflaged" herself behind you....I didn't see her before. :lol:
TRAGChick
Compact Disc

Postby TRAGChick » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:06 am

Navarro wrote:Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed it. I love classical playing because you can play everything, kind of. And like most Journey fans, I love the guitar and vocals. It is in the original key too. Lol, which ( e minor) is a great key for solo guitar arrangements.

I showed this to my Husband, who loves Yes....he said that your playing reminded him of Steve Howe. 8)
TRAGChick
Compact Disc

Next

Return to Journey