Lawrence Gowan review

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Joe From Buffalo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:35 am

Gowan played a solo show in Belleville, Ont on April 3..here is our review.

http://rockshowcritique.com/2012/04/gowan-rvw/
Joe From Buffalo
Ol' 78

Postby brywool » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:11 am

what a bizarre way for his other keyboard player to play. I've not seen that before.
Tommy Shaw solo tour would be cool.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Zan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:50 am

brywool wrote:what a bizarre way for his other keyboard player to play. I've not seen that before.

Tom Brislin from Spiraling (toured with Yes for awhile, plays with Glen a lot) plays that way. I hear it's more ergonomic. Makes sense when you you think about it.
-Zan :)

believe me, i know my Styx

Shiny things
Zan
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:22 am

brywool wrote:what a bizarre way for his other keyboard player to play. I've not seen that before.

Here's another one who plays keyboard like that
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:56 am

Joe From Buffalo wrote:Gowan played a solo show in Belleville, Ont on April 3..here is our review.

The mere fact that he does NOT play Styx songs is a tribute to him....ALL the other singers from ALL the other bands who do solo shows after joining acts bigger then them individually always do songs from the bigger band to raise themselves....he did not....I respect that!!

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:01 am

Does he yodel in his solo shows too?

:D
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:58 pm

Joe Vana wrote:
Joe From Buffalo wrote:Gowan played a solo show in Belleville, Ont on April 3..here is our review.

The mere fact that he does NOT play Styx songs is a tribute to him....ALL the other singers from ALL the other bands who do solo shows after joining acts bigger then them individually always do songs from the bigger band to raise themselves....he did not....I respect that!!

JV

Why would he? He had nothing to do with the creation of the songs he performs in Styx. If he did that would look pretty silly.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:59 am

Boomchild wrote:
Joe Vana wrote:

JV

Why would he? He had nothing to do with the creation of the songs he performs in Styx. If he did that would look pretty silly.

Did August look silly performing Styx songs when he was in his cover band? Does Arnel look silly performing Journey when he is in his cover band?

The truth is Gowan has enough good solo material that he doesn't need Styx songs.
Monker
MP3

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Monker wrote:
The truth is Gowan has enough good solo material that he doesn't need Styx songs.

Thank you Jesus!!!!!!!! The difference is that Arnel and August CAN sing other people's music :shock:
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:54 pm

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

Thank you Jesus!!!!!!!! The difference is that Arnel and August CAN sing other people's music :shock:

Funny.I think August sounds more like Gowan than Tommy.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:46 am

gr8dane wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

Funny.I think August sounds more like Gowan than Tommy.

He sounds like Tommy without a southern accent
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:18 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

No, the difference is that neither August nor Arnel have any solo music the public cares about. Gowan has plenty that he can tour Canada with. THAT is the difference.
Monker
MP3

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:37 am

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

No, the difference is that neither August nor Arnel have any solo music the public cares about. Gowan has plenty that he can tour Canada with. THAT is the difference.

That's pretty much all who cares about his solo career :P
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby Everett » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:36 pm

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

You really think arnel can sing? Oy.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Everett wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

Better than Gowan :lol: :wink:

And BTW, I do fault Arnel for sounding TOO much like Steve Perry, at least Gowan isn't trying to sound anything much like Dennis
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:24 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

And, in the US, Dennis has to perform a Styx show rather then a solo because even fewer people care about it.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:30 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Everett wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

And BTW, I do fault Arnel for sounding TOO much like Steve Perry, at least Gowan isn't trying to sound anything much like Dennis

But, you fault Gowan anyway by the constant critique. You complain when he's in Styx and you complain when he's not. For what end? To satisfy some type of jealousy or envy that he's a successful musician? Is it some kinda forum thrill that you get by doing it and get the old fights trolled up? Do you want to be in the 'in' crowd because you didn't always do this.
Monker
MP3

Postby Toph » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:47 am

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

How long would a Tommy Shaw or JY show of original solo material that people actually gave a damn about?

And, in the US, Dennis has to perform a Styx show rather then a solo because even fewer people care about it.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:46 am

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

And you don't think he has the right to bill himself with the Music of Styx? After almost 40 yeas with the band you want him to not be able to sing his songs? Gowan doesn't have that right because he was a replacement, and besides a few songs with Styx from Cyclorama, he has no reason to. I'd rather see a Dennis show where he changes it up a bit every so often (i.e. "Lost Treasures" and his acoustic shows as well as the ones he did with an orchestra) than the same old boring monotonous "Rock Shows" that Styx does with other bands
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:50 am

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Everett wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

But, you fault Gowan anyway by the constant critique. You complain when he's in Styx and you complain when he's not. For what end? To satisfy some type of jealousy or envy that he's a successful musician? Is it some kinda forum thrill that you get by doing it and get the old fights trolled up? Do you want to be in the 'in' crowd because you didn't always do this.

Get this, I do like a few of Gowan's songs, but his voice is just not suited to sing Dennis' songs. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't by you because of your obvious slant against Dennis if I make a critique against Gowan. Gowan is only a successful musician in Canada, that's it. No jealousy there, as a matter of fact, I don't give two shits about him otherwise.
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:46 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Everett wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

Get this, I do like a few of Gowan's songs, but his voice is just not suited to sing Dennis' songs. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't by you because of your obvious slant against Dennis if I make a critique against Gowan. Gowan is only a successful musician in Canada, that's it. No jealousy there, as a matter of fact, I don't give two shits about him otherwise.

Bingo!
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:47 am

Gowan is also HUGE in Malaysia, Denmark & Cuba. Ozzie Guillien and Fidel Castro both sat front & center for 2 of 4 sold out shows back in 1988.

In Gowan's hayday( Mr. Ed reference) he sold out 5 shows in the Tropic of Cancer in less than 8 hours and this was before ticketmaster!!!

P.S. What is even more impressive is you ougth to see him on that spinning keyboard while smoking a Cuban fatty.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:07 am

yogi wrote:Gowan is also HUGE in Malaysia, Denmark & Cuba. Ozzie Guillien and Fidel Castro both sat front & center for 2 of 4 sold out shows back in 1988.

In Gowan's hayday( Mr. Ed reference) he sold out 5 shows in the Tropic of Cancer in less than 8 hours and this was before ticketmaster!!!

P.S. What is even more impressive is you ougth to see him on that spinning keyboard while smoking a Cuban fatty.

You are too freakin' funny :lol:
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:02 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:And you don't think he has the right to bill himself with the Music of Styx?

I have NEVER said that he didn't have the 'right'.

I have said, consistently, that he can't bill himself as a solo act and perform a solo set because not enough people want to see it. The reason he is touring as "...the music Styx" is because STYX is what people want to hear, not "Dennis DeYoung" obscure solo songs.

Gowan doesn't have that right

Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.

I'd rather see a Dennis show where he changes it up a bit every so often (i.e. "Lost Treasures" and his acoustic shows as well as the ones he did with an orchestra) than the same old boring monotonous "Rock Shows" that Styx does with other bands

Stop pretending. He hardly ever does those shows any longer. How many years has it been since an orchestra show or a "Lost Treasures" show? The 'norm' is his "same old monotonous " version of Styx that changes about as much as Styx.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:10 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Everett wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

Well, first of all, that's not a 'critique', it's a fact. It become outlandish forum spew when it's stated like "that's pretty much all who cares about him".

But, anyway, you answered my question.
Monker
MP3

Postby brywool » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:37 am

WE HAD DREAMS!!!
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Toph » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:29 am

Monker you are such a tool.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:And you don't think he has the right to bill himself with the Music of Styx?

I have NEVER said that he didn't have the 'right'.

I have said, consistently, that he can't bill himself as a solo act and perform a solo set because not enough people want to see it. The reason he is touring as "...the music Styx" is because STYX is what people want to hear, not "Dennis DeYoung" obscure solo songs.

Gowan doesn't have that right

Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.

I'd rather see a Dennis show where he changes it up a bit every so often (i.e. "Lost Treasures" and his acoustic shows as well as the ones he did with an orchestra) than the same old boring monotonous "Rock Shows" that Styx does with other bands

Stop pretending. He hardly ever does those shows any longer. How many years has it been since an orchestra show or a "Lost Treasures" show? The 'norm' is his "same old monotonous " version of Styx that changes about as much as Styx.

He just did an orchestra show in Florida and has another one scheduled on the 28th of this month in VA. Thanks for paying attention. I hope your job is not in the research field. :roll:
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.

LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Joe Vana wrote:

JV

I've never been a fan of artists that were in successful bands playing said bands material during "solo" ventures. If you're gonna stand on your own as a solo artist, then do just that. Phil Collins from another of my favorite bands Genesis, keeps the two completely separate. I've always respected that. There are a couple of artists that get a free pass. Lindsey Buckingham and DDY are two off the top of my head.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Next

Return to Styx