Caught In The Undertow

Moderator: Andrew

New Album: What If......

Postby Deb » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:22 am

:D

http://www.frontiers.it/news/10440/

Mr. Big

What If...

Frontiers Records is proud to announce the highly anticipated European release of MR. BIG’s new studio album entitled « What If… » on January 21st 2011. The North American release, also on Frontiers records, shall follow in February with more exciting details to be announced!

«What If… » is MR. BIG’s first “all original” album since the reunion of the four original members, Eric Martin, Paul Gilbert, Billy Sheehan and Pat Torpey back in early 2009. Sixteen years after the release of « Hey Man », the new recording is set to bring back MR. BIG on the height of the current Hard Rock scene.

Guitarist Paul Gilbert said: “This is the first MR. BIG album I have been a part of, since fourteen years and it was done in a snap. It was fun and we had really a good time in making this one”. Continues Billy Sheehan “It’s so great to be back with Paul, Eric and Pat too. We wrote this record like we did in the old days for the first 2 records. Jamming together in the same room to write songs”. Pat Torpey adds ““Some of the recording process is different now from what we were used to in the old times. But I think this record really managed to capture the performances of the band, not of the individual musicians”.

Eric Martin concludes: “I like to compare this to the first album, when we just got to know each other in a reharsal studio and cut it in 8 or 9 days. This is like chapter 2. We had so many years, so many records and so many things behind us. Now this feels like a beautiful brand new chapter starting for all of us”.

« What If… » was produced by Kevin Shirley (Aerosmith, Rush, Iron Maiden) and the release will be followed by a World Tour which will kick off in South America in March and will hit Europe in early summer.

Formed in 1988, Mr. Big forged its place in hard rock history by combining trademark "shredding" musicianship with awesome vocal harmonies. The original line-up – vocalist Eric Martin, guitarist Paul Gilbert, bassist Billy Sheehan, and drummer Pat Torpey. Mr. Big produced numerous hit songs that ranged across a wide array of rock genres – be it ballads, heavy metal, or blues rock.

Their hits included "To Be With You" (Billboard Hot 100 number one single in 15 countries for weeks, in 1991, propelling the band the band to huge international success and record sales in the multi-millions), "Wild World", Green-Tinted sixties Mind", "Just Take My Heart", and a host of heavy metal songs that were played mostly during their live performances: "Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy", "Addicted to that Rush", "Colorado Bulldog", and "Take Cover".

“What If…” CD tracklisting includes: Undertow; American Beauty; Stranger In My Life; Nobody Takes the Blame; Still Ain’t Enough for Me; Once Upon a Time; As Far As I Can See; All The Way Up; I Won’t Get In My Way; Around The World; I Get The Feeling; Unforgiven (exclusive bonus track for Europe / North America – not on vinyl edition).

The DVD will include the videoclips of “Undertow” and “All the Way Up” plus a documentary “Making of” the album including interviews and exclusive behind the scenes features of the four members.

The first single “Undertow” will have an official promotional launch on November 27th.
Image Now Playing: If That's What It Takes (Live) ~ http://youtu.be/8g2TrEdi5ZQ
Deb
Super Audio CD

Postby timstar78 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:33 am

Nice...looking forward to it!
timstar78
45 RPM

Postby StevePerryHair » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:46 am

I'll post here Deb!!! :) I'll have to give the songs a listen ;) Wonder if they'll tour to Florida!!
StevePerryHair
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Michigan Girl » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:07 am

yayy, Deb, this is awesome news ... :D

Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Deb » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Nice to see you gals dropping in. :D
Deb
Super Audio CD

Postby S2M » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:26 pm

I'll drop in to say Hiya....thats about it.... :lol:
When Gronk, Vereen, and Amendola come back...it's lights out!
S2M
MP3

Postby Deb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Great review from the UK! :)

http://www.liverpoolstudentmedia.com/wh ... -25th-2011

What if... Mr. Big. Album Review. January 25th 2011

What if...is the first studio album in ten years by the L.A rock giants Mr. Big and if you are going to go away for that long and then do an album, it has to be a cracking one. Thankfully Eric Martin, Pat Torpey, Billy Sheehan and Paul Gilbert deliver an album high on octane and memories of past glories withheld at the studio door.

The four original members of the band, back together for the first time since the 1996 Hey Man album, may be a long way from the days when they were touted as one of the bright young things to come out California. However they have lost none of the swagger that you would expect from a band that typifies the charm, confidence and showmanship that exemplified the late 1980’s American Rock scene.

Eric Martin has lost none of his early charisma and his vocal style is still there for all to hear. Much of the capturing of Eric’s unique delivery must be laid at the door of Producer Kevin Shirley, whose own credits read like a who’s who of the rock world.

What if... opens with the barn storming Undertow, a song of such magnitude that its very presence on the album is assured as one of the great opening tracks of all time. The song shows a sense of maturity and insightfulness in to a band that really should never have been away from the public gaze.

What if... though doesn’t confine itself to the opening track to show how they have progressed as a band since their split in 2002 and their subsequent reformation in 2009, every track on the album is one of quality and the song Nobody Left to Blame reaches into your very soul and squeezes hard. The album can only be likened to the idea of Barnum’s three ringed circus, there is so much going on with the sound and vocals it may be daunting to know where to begin.

What if...shows what can be achieved by a band that has been away for far too long, no expectations, no insane chatter by fans who slate it before it’s released and most of all, the delivery of an album that will have you putting to the front of your collection.
Deb
Super Audio CD

Postby timstar78 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:06 am

Got the album on Monday, so finally have the mastered album to crank. I am still not enamored with Shirley's sonic imprints, but the album has grown on me. The musicianship is impeccable and there are plenty of chops on display, while never jeopardizing the songs. I even think Paul held back a little bit.

"Undertow" was definitely the right pick for the first single, fantastic song. "Around The World" and "I Get The Feeling" have been getting more play, and "Stranger In My Life" gets better with each listen, as does "All The Way Up." (With the latter track, it seems it really pushed Eric to the limits of his voice, as he almost seems to crack at some points. Great vocal, and very authentic-sounding.) "American Beauty" is like a revved up version of DLR's "Shy Boy," which would make sense since Billy wrote it. I enjoyed the bonus DVD too, and ony wish there was more footage. Solid release from the boys (still wouldn't grade it as 100 percent, but high 80s/low 90s), and look forward to the show in April. I also hope this will be the start of a new cycle of albums.
timstar78
45 RPM

Postby Deb » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:33 am

timstar78 wrote:Got the album on Monday, so finally have the mastered album to crank. I am still not enamored with Shirley's sonic imprints, but the album has grown on me. The musicianship is impeccable and there are plenty of chops on display, while never jeopardizing the songs. I even think Paul held back a little bit.

"Undertow" was definitely the right pick for the first single, fantastic song. "Around The World" and "I Get The Feeling" have been getting more play, and "Stranger In My Life" gets better with each listen, as does "All The Way Up." (With the latter track, it seems it really pushed Eric to the limits of his voice, as he almost seems to crack at some points. Great vocal, and very authentic-sounding.) "American Beauty" is like a revved up version of DLR's "Shy Boy," which would make sense since Billy wrote it. I enjoyed the bonus DVD too, and ony wish there was more footage. Solid release from the boys (still wouldn't grade it as 100 percent, but high 80s/low 90s), and look forward to the show in April. I also hope this will be the start of a new cycle of albums.

Couldnt' agree more. :)

Question for ya? I got the Japan cd/dvd limited release back in December (very cool unique cover, it's 3D) and have the European(which is same as US) release on the way, as they have different bonus tracks and it looks like the dvds differ a little? :? Can you tell me what is on the European/US DVD version you just got? The Japan one doesn't have the All The Way Up video but has the Undertow video and Making Of... and also another section where the guys each talk about what and where each of the songs came from, which is pretty cool. LOL, cracked up at EM's description of where Kill Me With A Kiss comes from. :shock: :lol:
Deb
Super Audio CD

Postby Rocker Chic » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:21 am

Deb wrote:LOL, cracked up at EM's description of where Kill Me With A Kiss comes from. :shock: :lol:

A couple of summers ago, we were hanging out with everyone after an Eric Martin/Ted Poley acoustic show in PA. Brandy told me that she heard from someone that "To Be With You" was supposed to be about a hooker or stripper. I told her that she should just ask Eric, since he was right there. :wink: She was a bit too shy, but I asked him and got an hour long story of the whole background of the song. It turns out that he wrote it about a girl he went to school and was really good friends with. He really liked her, but she seemed to be attracted to all the wrong guys. Cute story. :)

So, I can just imagine what his story about KMWAK was like! LOL! That man has more stories than anyone I've ever met! We hung out with them for like 6 hours drinking, and although I felt like I heard his whole life story (including a woman he dated many years ago that he said was 'like kissing a cave!' :shock: ), I don't even think I've heard 2% of all the stories he could tell. :lol: The man absolutely cracks me up!!!

Debbie
Rocker Chic
8 Track

Postby timstar78 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:25 am

Deb wrote:Question for ya? I got the Japan cd/dvd limited release back in December (very cool unique cover, it's 3D) and have the European(which is same as US) release on the way, as they have different bonus tracks and it looks like the dvds differ a little? :? Can you tell me what is on the European/US DVD version you just got? The Japan one doesn't have the All The Way Up video but has the Undertow video and Making Of... and also another section where the guys each talk about what and where each of the songs came from, which is pretty cool. LOL, cracked up at EM's description of where Kill Me With A Kiss comes from. :shock: :lol:

I didn't know the DVDs were different...Yes, with the version I have, it has the Making Of, and videos for "Undertow" and "All The Way Up." (ATWU is a nice performance video, very subdued and darkly lit, to reflect the song.)

Bummer...I'd really like to see the section where they go through the songs, because I enjoy musicians talking about the creative process. (Don't know if I can spring for another CD/DVD copy of the album, since I am planning on getting the vinyl version.)
timstar78
45 RPM

Postby sniper16 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:39 am

really like the new cd, rate it somewhere along the 1st, song are good, maybe not a catchy as actual size, or lean into it, but def. more rockin. good effort
sniper16
8 Track

Postby Peartree12249 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:55 am

What If...Mp3 download on sale at Amazon for only $5.00 through the end of May.
Grammar, the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
Peartree12249
Stereo LP

Postby Michigan Girl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:56 am

MG's What If review (it belongs here 1st) ...!! :D
In pieces ...
The vox are the focal point …always, for me, EM is my kind of vocalist …
his delivery is gritty, emotional, passionate, soulful …incredible!!!
The band is equally mesmerizing and fantastic …
They are all in sync, complementing one another …each having the
opportunity to shine throughout. Everything just flows, sorta like making
beautiful music together
:shock: …who’da thunk?!?!
I love the raw feel and the rockin’ riffs …
this lp is chock full of incredible hooks and great effin’s songs
(fantastic lyrics).
Perfect mix of songs, as well …they didn’t forget the ballads …two!! :wink:

Undertow~ Rocks from the first note with the perfect blend of
gritty guitar, drums …all blending with one another, no one player
overpowering another. add some rockin’ vox, incredible track …
Great lyrics, melody, guitar solo is bravisimo …just perfect!!
Grabbed me the first time I heard it!!

American Beauty~ You know you’re going rock here …
the back and forth, singer, guitar, steady beat of the
drum and bass make it impossible to sit …EM
is kickin’ some major ass and totally rockin’ you
out of your seat …and then the pass off …guitar!!
The things he can do w/his pipes, at this pace, and
still maintain the emotion is incredible.

Stranger In My Life~ This song touched me from “HELLO”!!
…it’s my favorite. The musicianship, again,
perfect, the heart beat of the drum and the guitar solo …
M~M~M. The lyrics and melody are incredible, but
the vox make this song soooo remarkable …
emotional, soulful, full of pain without being so dark
it turns depressing. He just sucks you in with his delivery …
I just want to take him home and you know …hug him.
The guitar solo near the end reflects every bit of the
pain and emotion set forth by the singer …
just amazing!! I LOVE THIS SONG ...swoooon!!
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Michigan Girl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:02 am

Nobody Left To Blame~ The Guitar at the intro
indicates a bit of darkness and then, boom, the drum
jumps in and change the entire landscape with the pace …
EM sucks me in w/his delivery and I find myself anticipating
the next change…The drumbeat reminds me
of a war dance … and fits right
in w/the war the singer is experiencing with himself.
The musicianship here is incredible, but still, one of my
Least favorites.

Still Ain’t Enough For Me~ You know from the
intro you’re going to rock out …EM’s vox are strong
and forceful and they have to be because the band
is lighting you up …drums, ripping bass, guitar …everyone
has their moment to stand out and shine …this is a kickass track.

Once Upon a Time~ Gives a whole new meaning to
Grimms Fairy Tales, a grown~up bedtime story …
dirty, gritty …oooolala on the
guitar solo!! A little hint of soulful, jazzy R&B …love it!!

As Far As I Can See~ Good strong, emotional,
gritty, sexy, soulful vox …this is incredible. It’s all
about the pipes, what a display …love it!

All The Way up~ Geeezuz, I love this …
another favorite.
The vocal delivery is so passionate and desperate,
such a beautiful job by EM. I could sooo see this
being a hit in the 80’s …it’s a hit for me now!! :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Michigan Girl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:32 am

I Won’t Get In My Way~Love this …Great harmonizing
…great lyrics, great rocker. I love this song …gotta
Listen …strong, fluid musicianship …love it!!

Around The World~ More great bass and geeetar!!
another fantastic rocker …geez the instrumental
is nothing short of amazing …the way they are all
speaking to each other and more great vox,
fantastic!!

I Get The Feelin’~ Let’s go… kickass
Rocker with a kickass guitar solo!! The intro reminds
me of something I can’t quite put my finger on?!? It
takes me back, yet it's fresh!! Good Stuff!!

Unforgiven~ The vox are amazing and so soulful …
but the guitar shines here and is incredibly,
friggin’ sinful …I had flashbacks of sitting in
a church pugh fretting about what I was
going to say to the scary, but soft voice
on the other side of the confessional ?!?! Only
waaay more fun!!

Not 1 bad track on this lp!! :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby STARFIRE » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:12 am

I'm Still addicted this this CD. Here was my review of the album that I wrote back when it first came out last year...

With enough thrust, even a pig can fly. Winged pigs on the cover of Mr. Big's first studio recording in 14 years--and with the original lineup no less--is totally appropriate for the story of this band. For me, the story reaches back to the 2007 G3 tour that opened with Paul Gilbert whose live performance of "Green Tinted Sixties Mind" which I hadn't heard since I was 10 years old left me feeling so magical, I went on a mission to learn every note of the song. Along the way, I had gone back to look into Billy Sheehan, the man behind that amazing sound on David Lee Roth's solo records. Turns out, he was just about to release his second solo CD, "Holy Cow." And Holy Cow, Paul Gilbert played on the 3rd track!

Then these guys started doing shows together. And then along came Eric Martin, and then Pat Torpey. They were in Japan! Could this be the beginning of a reunion?

On November 29, 2010, Frontiers Records releases the single "Undertow" on YouTube, shocking the world with a recording that, while modern, stays true and faithful to the Mr. Big sound; with Martin's unmistakable vocals and the dynamic duo Sheehan and Gilbert providing plenty of stringed fireworks for our ear's delight.

Indeed, the album DOES NOT disappoint. MelodicRock.com, probably the finest website on the Internet for rock reviews, gave "What If..." a 100% score - which basically never happens. Despite the near death of the music scene in Los Angeles, these guys have managed to keep the spark alive--rehearsing for and recording the album right here in the city of angels.

Somehow, Mr. Big managed to record an album that is not 80s rehash while, at the same, not such a departure so far from what made them famous that it would be offensive to their fanbase. There are down-and-dirty, nasty hard rockers like "I Wont Get In My Way" which features a technically advanced performance hidden within 90s-2000 era sensibilities. A similar track is "Once Upon A Time," just a nice grungy riff but without the screaming/growling; plenty of nice thick layered chorus vocals on top of that drop D line. But then there is American Beauty which takes you into trademarked Mr. Big territory--think "Addicted to that Rush" on top of a 'Hot for Teacher' drum line. A high speed hard rock track with a real catchy chorus.

"Stranger In My Life" takes us down to a more mellow tempo with a heart warming set of melodies, just the sweetest drum sounds recorded and a wonderful vocal performance by Eric Martin. This one makes you want to sing "Ah" with your cigarette lighter in the sky. They bring the fun on "I Get the Feeling" with such fist pumping lyrics, "I wanna feel rich when I'm broke, young when I'm old, I may never hit gold but you know I get the feelin'!" I can't imagine anyone not just loving this track!

If you're looking for the ultimate Gilbert/Sheehan duel, punch up "Around the World." This is a GREAT song because of the chorus and just a wonderful set of melodies carried by fantastic guitar tone. But then they down into that solo and it will just blow your head off! I'll bet the kids behind the glass when they were recording this stuff had NO idea what was about to happen before they started tracking that session.

Clocking in at 5 minutes and 12 seconds, you really don't notice its length when you listen to this emotional tune about losing a loved one; "All The Way Up." It's really touching and I think anyone who's ever been through something like that could really appreciate this song. Again, just wonderful chord progression, masterfully performed, and beautifully recorded. I play this one over and over again.

Another sad song but that you can't help but listen to constantly is the lead-off track, "Undertow" - about a girl trying to losing the fight against her addiction to drugs. Where do I begin on THIS one? Eric Martin sounds wonderful, as does Billy's attitude bass and of course that rockin' groove Paul Gilbert powers down your speakers is crazy addictive. Sliding harmonics? Pinch harmonics? String bends? YES PLEASE. Just SO damn addictive this track is; you just want to air drum along with Torpey as they bust into that anthemic chorus. Good stuff!

Believe it or not, though, my favorite cut on the 12-track album is "As Far As I Can See." The tricky timing takes some time to get used to but you as soon as you 'get' that classic rock chord progression on top of the modern rock sound they recorded for this song, you wont be able to get enough of it. Paul Gilbert's tone sounds SO good in this one, and he gives you a little neo-classical shredding during the solo, but it's really the ending that will get you. The doo-wop "whoas" just makes you want to clap your hands. I pray they play this one in concert when they go on tour. I'm totally addicted to this track. :-)

2011 is going to be an Outstanding year for AOR, especially thanks to these guys! You can only hope it inspires new bands to adopt melodic rock and continue this on long after these guys have played their last show.
[/quote]
Best regards,
~ Dairenn
STARFIRE
Keyboardist/Guitarist/Vocalist
StarFireMusic.com
STARFIRE
Radio Waves

Postby Deb » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:10 am

Great review Starfire. Enjoyed reading it! And hadn't noticed before, but damned if you're not right on the money with your take on the American Beauty track.
Deb
Super Audio CD

Re: New Album: What If......

Postby jestor92 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:49 am

I'm quite surprised they didn't release a live album in support of the What If tour
jestor92
8 Track

Postby Deb » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:38 am

jestor92 wrote:I'm quite surprised they didn't release a live album in support of the What If tour

The only live CD they released from What If.. tour, as far as I know, was the accoustic 'Live From the Living Room'. It's actually pretty good, I quite like some of the songs stripped down a little. Someone has put the dvd up on youtube, each song.

Undertow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oTdSyoM-T0
Deb
Super Audio CD

Postby jestor92 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 am

Deb wrote:
jestor92 wrote:I'm quite surprised they didn't release a live album in support of the What If tour

The only live CD they released from What If.. tour, as far as I know, was the accoustic 'Live From the Living Room'. It's actually pretty good, I quite like some of the songs stripped down a little. Someone has put the dvd up on youtube, each song.

I've got the Live From the Living Room cd and it's quite good. I love the acoustic version of Voodoo Kiss. Voodoo Kiss is a song that when plugged in I normally skip, but acoustic it's awesome. I'm just surprised they didn't release a live plugged in album from the What If tour. I'm also curious if they'll be back with another album anytime soon.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby Deb » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:59 pm

jestor92 wrote:
Deb wrote:

I've got the Live From the Living Room cd and it's quite good. I love the acoustic version of Voodoo Kiss. Voodoo Kiss is a song that when plugged in I normally skip, but acoustic it's awesome. I'm just surprised they didn't release a live plugged in album from the What If tour. I'm also curious if they'll be back with another album anytime soon.

Actually that's one of my faves of theirs, especially acoustically. Luckily Eric does that one quite often in his solo shows. This is probably my all time favourite acoustic version of VK from them.....

http://youtu.be/BPAV80qTAZY
Deb
Super Audio CD

Postby Dream Police » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:44 am

Deb wrote:

There is this one if you've got the $$$$$
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Big-Sushi-2DVD ... B0068F44LC
Dream Police
Fresh Air

Return to Mr. Big / Eric Martin / Solo Projects