Tomorrow is it!

Loverboy, Triumph, Coney Hatch, Kim Mitchell, Tom Cochrane, Glass Tiger...the list goes on...

Moderator: Andrew

Tomorrow is it!

Postby JrnyScarab » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:40 am

Opening night tomorrow. Ya Hooooooooo. Can't fuckin wait. Will have a report sometime Saturday with some spoilers if you like :wink:
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby captexshreve » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:03 pm

Oh, good for you! 8)
Napoleon v. Predator--'At last, a foe worthy of my sweet ninja skills!'
captexshreve
Ol' 78

Postby Liam » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:28 pm

I don't know about everyone else, but I want spoilers. Remember...my show is in December. lol
Liam

"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get it, and keep goin'." - Rocky
Liam
MP3

Postby JrnyScarab » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:36 am

Liam wrote:I don't know about everyone else, but I want spoilers. Remember...my show is in December. lol

Your wish is my command!
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:34 am

Awesome. In THAT case, storm the stage. LMAO
Liam

"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get it, and keep goin'." - Rocky
Liam
MP3

Postby JrnyScarab » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:29 am

Liam wrote:Awesome. In THAT case, storm the stage. LMAO

Wish I was close enough for that! Last time I tried that I almost got crushed to death by some unruly teenagers :lol:
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JrnyScarab » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:31 am

Man, 3 more hours before I can leave work. Time has slowed to a crawl.
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:34 am

TIME STAND STILL!!!
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JrnyScarab » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:26 am

Liam wrote:TIME STAND STILL!!!

OH YEAH!! Are they bringing Aimee Mann to sing on this? She's from the area you know :wink:
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:34 am

Honestly...I see Force Ten being played instead of Time Stand Still. And I hope to God they play Available Light.
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JrnyScarab » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:36 am

Liam wrote:Honestly...I see Force Ten being played instead of Time Stand Still. And I hope to God they play Available Light.

I LOVE Available Light. Force Ten is cool. I think they are preparing some songs with strings in them to take advantage of the string section they are bringing with them. They absolutely have to do The Garden and I'll bet it will be awesome.
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:50 am

The Garden, Losing It, and Available Light are the first songs I'm youtubing tonight.
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby Liam » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:12 am

This page will be refreshed about 100 times tonight. They do the setlist as it happens.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/main/CAtournews.htm
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby Liam » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:43 am

Thanks, Fact....

And ya beat me to the setlist. I was refreshing the Power Windows site a LOT last night. lol
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:58 am

Fucking awesome setlist! I love the emphasis on '80s songs, especially "The Body Electric"!
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Liam » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:01 am

Finally get Territories, and Analog Kid is back in.

I BET the 1st set will be shuffled a lot during this tour.
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JrnyScarab » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:15 am

Sorry I haven't posted my impressions yet. Only slept a few hours after having some drinks after the show and have a ton of shit to do first today. Stay tuned
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:20 am

JrnyScarab wrote:Sorry I haven't posted my impressions yet. Only slept a few hours after having some drinks after the show and have a ton of shit to do first today. Stay tuned

Take your time, dude. We don't need you for spoilers anymore. :lol: :lol:

I DO want to hear your review when ya get a minute.
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JrnyScarab » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:42 am

Liam wrote:
JrnyScarab wrote:Sorry I haven't posted my impressions yet. Only slept a few hours after having some drinks after the show and have a ton of shit to do first today. Stay tuned

Take your time, dude. We don't need you for spoilers anymore. :lol: :lol:

I DO want to hear your review when ya get a minute.

Yeah, I figured the spoilers were gonna show up pretty quickly
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby MCM » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:41 am

Liam wrote:Finally get Territories, and Analog Kid is back in.

I BET the 1st set will be shuffled a lot during this tour.

I woke up this morning saying to myself "Territories?" How insane is that!

Let the haters hate if they want, I was there and it was a rock show. The new stuff live will make you wet your pants. I'm quite happy with the setlist, no complaint from me at all. Going into the show not knowing the setlist was really a lot of fun. I was keeping track on my phone until they played the song Clockwork Angels, at that point I had to put the phone away and just enjoy the show..

Manhattan Project was excellent also.

I might add add another show to my fall tour.
Image[/URL] Image
MCM
45 RPM

Postby Liam » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:05 am

When I saw Territories pop up, I said "HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I NEED TO BE THERE". lol
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JrnyScarab » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:13 am

OK. Where to start?

First of all, the show was indoors at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH. I am no fan of indoor arena shows. In fact, I HATE arena shows. In the case of RUSH, the bass lines are prominent in the structure of their music and the arena shows just tend to make the bass sound like a boomy muddy mess. I have seen them outside a few times and you could hear every bass note very clearly. Not indoors.

The sound was acceptable for an indoor show and particularly this venue which has a reputation for pretty bad sound. The band hit the stage after one of their patented films which was quite strange to say the least. I couldn't hear the dialog very clearly in the film due to the arena sound so I just watched the visuals, one of which included Neil's body laying on a table while his head was pushed around on a cart. His body grabbed a pair of drumsticks and twirled them while headless! Very funny.

They started the night with one of my favorites, Subdivision. I never get sick of hearing this song for some reason. It has much emotional impact kind of like The Garden to me. We were treated to quite a few songs from Power Windows, which is one of my favorite CD's so this pleased me greatly.

Favorites in the first set I've never heard live before were Grand Designs, The Body Electric, Territories, and Analog Kid.

The boys brought along a string section and used them quite liberally throughout the show. The were quite animated and seemed to enjoy what they were doing. It was a bit hard to hear them at time thanks to the indoor sound (Am I clear when I say I REALLY HATE arena sound!) :lol:

The first set was an hour and after a 15 minute break, they opened the second set with Caravan and proceeded to play all but 2 songs of Clockwork Angels (Not including the short interlude pieces. The songs left out were BU2B and Seven Cities of Gold. This seemed to be a bit controversial with my wife and friends. They wanted more "Hits". The wife kept saying "When are they going to play something I know". (Typical non-hardcore wife speak) :lol: They were rocking quite a bit to the first set without many "Hits" so I just think the total lack of familiarity with the new CD didn't help. They seemed to think that they should have interspersed some familiar tunes in between the new tunes instead of playing them all in a row.

After the Clockwork Angels portion of the show they finished up the show with Manhattan Project, Red Sector A, YYZ (Played flawlessly) and Working Man reggae version (1st half of song). Encore songs were Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio. Wait a minute ------ NO LIMELIGHT ?????. I never thought that would be a song they would drop. After perking up to the "Hits" my crew was pretty dissapointed in no LIMELIGHT. Oh well, can't please everybody all the time.

There was a bit more pyro than I've seen before and the usual stunning light show. Being a hardcore fan, they could play just about anything and I would be happy. The less hardcore fans are the ones who seem to complain about the setlist, preferring more "HITS". Not me. I don't want them to become Journey, playing the same freaking songs every tour.

Total playing time was 3 hours which is amazing considering their ages and the difficulty factor in playing this music.

There were a few minor screwups and one BIG screwup and some technical difficulties with Geddy's equipment which led Alex to entertain us with a joke. He's such a natural at being funny. Love it.

The big screwup was Alex starting the solo to Tom Sawyer on the wrong note and then playing about 5 or 6 more wrong notes before deciding to not play for a few seconds til he could figure out where he was at. He rescued the second half of the solo with a "Look, I've got it!" face that had everyone cracking up. It's nice to see that the boys ARE human and not always perfect.

Neil's solo was shortened from the usual length. Then he took another short bit of solo work in Headlong Flight and another longer electronic drum solo later that was totally different from anything he's done with the electronic drums before. So, we got 3 Neil solos instead of one!

The night ended with my wife's best friend trying to high five me and missing my hands and knocking my glasses off my head and onto the floor somewhere under the seats. Since I can only see clearly from about 6 inches, this was a problem. After some hunting around with the Iphone flashlights they were found two rows in front of us. No one stepped on them and there was only one minor scratch! Fucking lucky as hell as they cost aroung $750.00 !!! :shock:

We went across the street after the show for a nightcap and went home and hit the sack. All in all, a very enjoyable show and the new material sounded strong. The Garden was AWESOME!
Last edited by JrnyScarab on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:24 am, edited 8 times in total.
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JrnyScarab » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:15 am

Liam wrote:When I saw Territories pop up, I said "HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I NEED TO BE THERE". lol

They killed it on Territories! :)
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:25 am

Good review, dude. And I BET they knocked it out of the park with Territories. About the setlist...as a hardcore fan myself, I only had a couple of complaints about a couple of the songs. Like..I want to hear Available Light over Body Electric, and Bravado, while a good song, I'd rather something off Counterparts. Like Everyday Glory.

But I have a feeling that this setlist WILL be shuffled and changed a LOT by the time they get to me in December.
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JrnyScarab » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:36 am

Liam wrote:Good review, dude. And I BET they knocked it out of the park with Territories. About the setlist...as a hardcore fan myself, I only had a couple of complaints about a couple of the songs. Like..I want to hear Available Light over Body Electric, and Bravado, while a good song, I'd rather something off Counterparts. Like Everyday Glory.

But I have a feeling that this setlist WILL be shuffled and changed a LOT by the time they get to me in December.

I gotta tell you, Body Electric sounded GREAT. But Bravado has been overplayed a bit by them. NO LIMELIGHT???? :lol: :lol:
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JrnyScarab » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:22 am

Oh, one other thing. Getty sounded AMAZING. His voice sounded WAY better than the Time Machine DVD. I thought he was losing it, but now I think he may have been sick when they recorded that DVD. His voice sounded really nasaly and strange to me.
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby MCM » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:02 pm

JrnyScarab wrote:Oh, one other thing. Getty sounded AMAZING. His voice sounded WAY better than the Time Machine DVD. I thought he was losing it, but now I think he may have been sick when they recorded that DVD. His voice sounded really nasaly and strange to me.

Word on the street was that he was under the weather at the time of that Cleveland show. I heard that the afternoon before the show.

I thought his voice did sound pretty good last night. I think part of the reason for the setlist choice is that the newer stuff might keep his voice in better shape over the length of the tour.
Image[/URL] Image
MCM
45 RPM

Postby verslibre » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:06 pm

JrnyScarab wrote:
Liam wrote:Good review, dude. And I BET they knocked it out of the park with Territories. About the setlist...as a hardcore fan myself, I only had a couple of complaints about a couple of the songs. Like..I want to hear Available Light over Body Electric, and Bravado, while a good song, I'd rather something off Counterparts. Like Everyday Glory.

I gotta tell you, Body Electric sounded GREAT. But Bravado has been overplayed a bit by them. NO LIMELIGHT???? :lol: :lol:

"Limelight" may have been on the block (right after "Tom Sawyer"), but was probably dropped due to the show starting a few minutes later than intended. Just a rumor.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby JrnyScarab » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:27 pm

verslibre wrote:
JrnyScarab wrote:

"Limelight" may have been on the block (right after "Tom Sawyer"), but was probably dropped due to the show starting a few minutes later than intended. Just a rumor.

Yeah, I thought maybe the late start and the technical keyboard difficulties messed that up.
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JrnyScarab » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:29 pm

MCM wrote:
JrnyScarab wrote:Oh, one other thing. Getty sounded AMAZING. His voice sounded WAY better than the Time Machine DVD. I thought he was losing it, but now I think he may have been sick when they recorded that DVD. His voice sounded really nasaly and strange to me.

I think part of the reason for the setlist choice is that the newer stuff might keep his voice in better shape over the length of the tour.

I think that is correct. I know they are playing every other day to help with his voice. I suspect some of the older tunes strain it too much. Rather have them do newer stuff and sound good than old material that sounds shitty
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Canadian Rock Bands