PHX, AZ 11/25/2012 Review

Loverboy, Triumph, Coney Hatch, Kim Mitchell, Tom Cochrane, Glass Tiger...the list goes on...

Moderator: Andrew

PHX, AZ 11/25/2012 Review

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:12 am

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to last night's show here in Phoenix, but wanted to post the review that was written and published in today's paper and online of the show. It's really nice when the person writing the review actually knows and appreciates the band like this guy does.

Rush concert spotlights ‘Clockwork Angels' in Phoenix
By Michael Senft
Special for the Republic | azcentral.com
Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:45 AM

There are certain things you can always depend on at a Rush concert — drum solos, dazzling lights and videos, plenty of humor and “Tom Sawyer.” And Rush delivered all of them at US Airways Center on Sunday, Nov. 25. But the Canadian power trio, who filmed the concert for a DVD, showcased their new album, “Clockwork Angels,” at the expense of many longtime favorites. They played the bulk of the acclaimed new album, a steampunk-inspired concept piece about a young man searching for the meaning of life, to the delight of the sold-out crowd. Casual fans only familiar with radio hits like “Freewill” and “Closer to the Heart” were probably confused for the bulk of the three-hour show, however, which ignored many of Rush’s biggest hits. Indeed, they only performed one song from before 1980.

Perhaps they wanted to give singer/bassist Geddy Lee’s vocal cords a rest. He sounded rough when tackling the falsetto that defined their older songs on Rush’s recent live album from 2011, “Time Machine: Live in Cleveland.” But if he was struggling at all during the show, it wasn’t evident.

Or perhaps they wanted to focus on newer material after greatest hits tours in 2004 and 2011.

The first set did just that — showcasing Rush’s synth-heavy work from the ’80s.

Taking the stage to a surreal, Python-esque video involving the band members being assembled in a carnival-like factory — they launched into “Subdivisions,” the synth-driven hit from 1982’s “Signals.” From that opener, they stuck to big-hair territory, playing such rarely-heard chestnuts as “Grand Designs,” “The Analog Kid” and “Middletown Dreams,” songs not played live for over 25 years. The 1985 album “Power Windows” was heavily featured, with Rush showcasing five of its eight tracks during the show.

“Where’s My Thing,” an instrumental from 1991’s “Roll the Bones,” moved things forward and featured an economical solo from drummer Neil Peart, the first of three he performed during the show, before the first set closed with “Far Cry.”

Peart, long known for his lengthy drum solos, toned them down this year. While Peart is a master, drum solos, especially long ones, can get annoying quickly. By breaking them up and scattering them throughout the set, they seemed more relevant to the music and did not disrupt the show. Alex Lifeson also performed a brief solo piece leading into “Halo Effect.”

While casual fans may not have recognized many tunes, longtime fans may have been confused as well — especially when a string ensemble came onstage during intermission. The eight-piece ensemble joined Rush for the bulk of the second set, which featured a hefty dose of “Clockwork Angels,” from the lighter “The Wreckers” to “Headlong Flight,” a hard rock monster reminiscent of early Rush tracks like “By-Tor and the Snow Dog” and “Anthem.” Rush’s finest song in 30 years, the sublime ballad “The Garden,” provided an emotional close to the “Clockwork Angels” portion of the show.

The string ensemble stuck around for a few more tunes, however, adding some additional flair to the electronic “Red Sector A” and the knotty instrumental “YYZ.”

While the first set was an excellent reintroduction to forgotten album tracks, the second set was revelatory. Rush have always used stunning light shows. During the second set they proved they are at least the equal of Pink Floyd with dazzling lights, intricate videos and the aforementioned string ensemble. Ten rotating video screens added additional effects and the pyrotechnics threatened to set a couple of violins on fire. It almost seemed like they were upping the fire quotient for the cameras.

Unfortunately, the string ensemble wasn’t mixed well and seemed to fade into the background through most of the set. And realistically, their parts weren’t so essential that they couldn’t have been handled on keyboards. It was an unusual visual, however.

Speaking of unusual visuals, mention must be made of the stage design. Instead of amplifiers, pneumatic machines and circular screens sprouted from the stage, fitting with the steampunk motif. At one point, a roadie in a gorilla suit came onstage to “check the settings” on a popcorn machine behind Lee. And during “YYZ” a wizard appeared, helping conduct the string ensemble. Were these special touches just for the upcoming DVD? Regardless, they added to the carnival atmosphere of the show.

After closing with “The Spirit of Radio,” from 1980’s “Permanent Waves” album, Rush returned for the expected encore of “Tom Sawyer” and excerpts from the 1976 epic “2112.” Predictable – yeah, but how else should they have closed the show? Honestly, the second set was so strong, it made the first set seem more of an afterthought. With an album as strong as “Clockwork Angels,” Rush didn’t need to play a three-hour, two-set show. But the added bonus of hearing those long-forgotten songs in the first set made the show extra special.

Set One:

“Subdivisions”

“The Big Money”

“Force Ten”

“Grand Designs”

“Middletown Dreams”

“Territories”

“The Analog Kid”

“The Pass”

“Where’s My Thing?”

“Far Cry”

Set Two:

“Caravan”

“Clockwork Angels”

“The Anarchist”

“Carnies”

“The Wreckers”

“Headlong Flight”

“Halo Effect”

“Wish Them Well”

“The Garden”

“Manhattan Project”

“The Percussor”

“Red Sector A”

“YYZ”

“The Spirit of Radio”

Encore:

“Tom Sawyer”

Excerpts from “2112
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:52 am

Awesome...thanks for posting that.

Sucks that ya didn't make the show, dude.
Liam

"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get it, and keep goin'." - Rocky
Liam
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:47 am

Liam wrote:Awesome...thanks for posting that.

Sucks that ya didn't make the show, dude.
My pleasure.
As for missing the show... I would have MUCH rather been there than doing what I was, believe me! :cry: :cry:
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:03 am

JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:46 am

I'll make an excuse for Ged on Tom Sawyer.....he was trying something new...not a mistake. LOL
Liam

"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get it, and keep goin'." - Rocky
Liam
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:34 am

Liam wrote:I'll make an excuse for Ged on Tom Sawyer.....he was trying something new...not a mistake. LOL
Okay... I'll go along with that. If anyone's earned some liberties here and there it's any/all of those 3 yuk-yuks! :lol: :lol:

While feeling sorry for myself last night due to not being at the show, I watched Beyond the Lighted Stage and this gem that I find absolutely hysterical and can watch over and over again. Of the 3, Neil is by far the most inebriated and finds himself laughing so hard he can't get the words out he wants to on more than one occasion!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-MwVUUy3g
And of course, Alex with his gift from Gedster is just ridiculously immature and sooooooooooo funny!

If I did the math correctly (and if Ged was serious about the 2 bottles of wine they consumed prior to sitting down for dinner,) they managed to polish off 7 (SEVEN!) bottles of wine between them! :shock: :lol: :lol:
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:50 am

That dinner is beyond hilarious. LMMFAO

My favorite line is "It's like Julius Caesar said to the senate...'FUCK YOU GUYS'. then translated to 'et tu Brute'". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:54 am

Liam wrote:That dinner is beyond hilarious. LMMFAO

My favorite line is "It's like Julius Caesar said to the senate...'FUCK YOU GUYS'. then translated to 'et tu Brute'". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Absolutely, hands-down the funniest part of the whole dinner! What makes it even funnier is prior to Alex's... ahem... "statement", I had never heard him use profanity of any kind - ever! So when he spouted off with that, I lost it! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:59 am

The one that surprised me was Geddy using profanity for some reason. When he was describing Neil "Such a fucking perfectionist, such a monster musician".
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:08 am

Liam wrote:The one that surprised me was Geddy using profanity for some reason. When he was describing Neil "Such a fucking perfectionist, such a monster musician".
Geddy's been known to drop an F-bomb or two now and then and he's certainly not in the habit of censoring his speech when delivering his thoughts. Now Neil on the other hand.... if he ever let one fly while on camera whether during an interview or whatever the case, I'm not sure my mind would comprehend it. I'd put odds on hearing my Mormon grandmother call someone a "slimy mother-fuckin' douche bag" before I'd EVER believe the Professor would use profanity! :wink: :wink: :lol: That kind of nomenclature just seems so.... "beneath" his level of intellect that he would never resort to that kind of dialog.... if that even makes sense.
Pratt, however, has a mouth like a truck driver!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am

Oh...what I meant was Geddy in the documentary. I've heard him cuss before..no biggie. I'm with ya on Pratt, though. I'd probably shit myself if that happened. :lol: :lol:
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:30 am

Liam wrote:Oh...what I meant was Geddy in the documentary. I've heard him cuss before..no biggie. I'm with ya on Pratt, though. I'd probably shit myself if that happened. :lol: :lol:
Not to go all philosophical on this topic but.... Oh what the Hell! Bear with me for a tick... :lol:
My appreciation and respect for Peart is complex. I mean first there's the percussionist not of this world. Then there's the Rhoades Scholar-like intelligence that creates and delivers the lyrics the likes of which have never been seen prior or since. Next there's the extremely shy, introverted almost savant-esque being who, until about the mid-nineties had never so much as uttered a word on-camera. So when you combine all those traits, talents, and conditions which was the Neil Peart I thought of when he would come up in conversation, he was almost immortal - and I'm a keyboard player - not even a drummer for Christ's sake!! :lol: :lol:
Now, getting back to what we were discussing about the thought of hearing him use profanity et al... it just seems like he would have to step down - way down - to use that kind of language to express or accentuate a statement given his vast, vast vocabulary. He could come up with 15 other words that would fit so much better and profoundly than any curse word the normal person would use flippantly or off the cuff.

Okay, okay.... enough of that crap! :lol: :lol: But, I think you get what I mean.... (and if so, PLEASE explain it to me 'cause I don't have a fucking clue what I just wrote!) :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby MCM » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:56 am

JRNYMAN wrote:
Liam wrote:Oh...what I meant was Geddy in the documentary. I've heard him cuss before..no biggie. I'm with ya on Pratt, though. I'd probably shit myself if that happened. :lol: :lol:
Not to go all philosophical on this topic but.... Oh what the Hell! Bear with me for a tick... :lol:
My appreciation and respect for Peart is complex. I mean first there's the percussionist not of this world. Then there's the Rhoades Scholar-like intelligence that creates and delivers the lyrics the likes of which have never been seen prior or since. Next there's the extremely shy, introverted almost savant-esque being who, until about the mid-nineties had never so much as uttered a word on-camera. So when you combine all those traits, talents, and conditions which was the Neil Peart I thought of when he would come up in conversation, he was almost immortal - and I'm a keyboard player - not even a drummer for Christ's sake!! :lol: :lol:
Now, getting back to what we were discussing about the thought of hearing him use profanity et al... it just seems like he would have to step down - way down - to use that kind of language to express or accentuate a statement given his vast, vast vocabulary. He could come up with 15 other words that would fit so much better and profoundly than any curse word the normal person would use flippantly or off the cuff.

Okay, okay.... enough of that crap! :lol: :lol: But, I think you get what I mean.... (and if so, PLEASE explain it to me 'cause I don't have a fucking clue what I just wrote!) :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with you on this, I feel like Neil doesn't need to resort to profanity to get his point across. His speech and dialog always seems so carefully thought out and so well delivered that the random "fuck" in the middle of a sentence would really seem out of place. It's always Ged who's throwing out the foul language which also seems out of place as he's so well mannered otherwise.

Further proof they really are human. (hard to believe, I know)
Image[/URL] Image
MCM
45 RPM

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 pm

MCM wrote:Further proof they really are human...
Or are they...? Image Maybe.... Dirk throws in a curse word here and there so as to "appear" as though he thinks like we do. :P :lol: :lol:

Going back to what I said about Neil (I've had to backspace and correct the spelling of Peart's first name 3 times today because I'm so programmed to spelling Schon's! :? :lol: ) not uttering a word, and so on... it reminded me of every show of theirs I attended from the Perm Waves tour on up to about the Hold Your Fire tour in which Alex always had a mic and stand setup for him yet he never said or sang a God damned thing (with the exception of "{{SUBDIVISIONS}}" of course...) But prior to Signals being released, he was pretty much mute up there. I never understood it. :lol: :lol: Seems like HYF was the catalyst that propelled him to start yamming it up. :lol:
Then of course there's the schitzo moment he has during the "Monsters (Reprise)" portion of La Villa which always appears to amuse and surprise the other two based on their reactions and the laughs he gets from them. :lol: :lol:
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 pm

They're machines from the planet Syrinx.
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Liam wrote:They're machines from the planet Syrinx.
Where is this Syrinx you speak of and what other revelations does it hold? :wink: :lol:
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:41 pm

It is the 3rd planet from the sun as well in the galaxy Mvemjsup. Other revelations there have been keys that plink, and round cans that pound. LOL
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Liam wrote:It is the 3rd planet from the sun as well in the galaxy Mvemjsup. Other revelations there have been keys that plink, and round cans that pound. LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Can't make this stuff up. :lol:
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby MCM » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Liam wrote:It is the 3rd planet from the sun as well in the galaxy Mvemjsup. Other revelations there have been keys that plink, and round cans that pound. LOL

Are there wires that vibrate in the galaxy Mvemjsup?
Image[/URL] Image
MCM
45 RPM

Postby Liam » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:40 am

MCM wrote:

Are there wires that vibrate in the galaxy Mvemjsup?

Indeed there are. That was the first discovery in that galaxy in the year 2112. (their calendar year is a lot different than ours)
Liam

Liam
MP3

christian louboutin uk ks95

Postby DerGapegreego » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:39 pm

christian louboutin uk3 You is the split going to be the $300,000 all over the half,and for that reason all your family would certainly walk available allowing an individual $150,000 do nothing more than as well as for making the referral!If all your family members are dealing to have an all in one larger package,going to be the commissions become as an example a lot more lucrative Social Media SharesYan Mo Johnson to educate yourself regarding schedule an appointment with your mate minus an all in one word, Mouguang sink and heavy, hand ask the dog delicate back slender fingertips teasing like for more information about hang rrn excess of in your

christian louboutin sale3 news,the latest and greatest tour guides etcKal Bishop, MBA**********************************You are free of charge to educate yourself regarding reproduce it article as some distance as no changes are made and the author's name and website URL are retained He has a multi function One/Only one hundred percent conception order as 6 several years separate kale both to and from his a child stepsister Backed on such basis as biological research and clinical risks and side effects AAIT has to offer a simple yet effective course of action as well as melanoma and stage four cancer patients which of you are readily access for more information on butt heads their disease regardless that keeping their immune system intact Within going to be the context concerning The Leadership Talk,a multi functional Call-to-action is not at all an order

christian louboutin outletcom) continues its editorial commitment to valuable rapid product or service development too much information online by having Cutler give you articles and special features that focus everywhere in the strategies and technological innovations along with reducing a multi function service or product time-to-market though improving quality and managing costsTips: Some girls are do nothing more than gross blank and indifferent; watch around town Read this article to understand more about learn a great deal more about your options and do nothing more than how effective this natural option really isThe South Park (Season five DVD features a number of different hilarious episodes as an example the season premiere "It His going to be the Fan"all over the all of these Kyle could get about four brands to understand more about visit The Lion King throughout the stage,but

www.rubyrocks.co.uk/christianlouboutinoutlet26.htmlWhich she is doing impressively All customers to do with going to be the human category understand itThis article is dedicated for more information regarding most of them are those nurses in all places who work going to be the good night shift While a number of different say his seo backlinks are "mundane"any sexual who study his art buy that they leave an all in one history - a multi function post-modern history much in the way reflective regarding his historical past ties together for more information regarding and a multi functional life dedicated to learn more about explorative artsNot one of the more toward her questioning Ya Sean,your dog was going to be the one of the more a minumum of one they took going to be the an all in one la carte menufutbol?and the co-founder of Prime Player The fact that the heel having to do with

www.gsootyaccessoriesfordogs.co.uk/christianlouboutinoutlet26.htmlSpa in no way objective has to offer you a lot of women a multi function option to understand more about unwind and recover their a lot more than they all are do you feel fitness, they also provide you with the means and then for a multi functional dreamy time as well as for more than one Ouyang Mu intuition stoop will want something to did you know it upThanks for more information regarding the finely updated understanding regarding a number of the ach and every expierenced internet marketers which of you have already joined forces allowing an individual the company which of you have that can be used their expertise for additional details on give you hundreds having to do with website templates to offer you this many of the new company launch?also Alexa has rated The Hemp Networks personal website in the top 2% after choices

christian louboutin outletBut the major disadvantages all over the opting as well as this more or less any concerning loan usually the in your fact that you have for more information about pay an income interest chargesToday a great deal more and a good deal more a working man want to maximize in each and every aspect including their sexual livesOn June 12, 1935, Senator Long engaged everywhere in the his people famous filibuster But there are several a lot of information
DerGapegreego
Fresh Air

Return to Canadian Rock Bands