Anthrax Covers Anthem

Loverboy, Triumph, Coney Hatch, Kim Mitchell, Tom Cochrane, Glass Tiger...the list goes on...

Moderator: Andrew

Anthrax Covers Anthem

Postby JRNYMAN » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Anthrax's new album (it's an EP actually...) titled 'Anthems', is a compilation of covers of some great anthems by such bands as AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Boston, and more. Appropriately enough, the first track on the album is their cover of Rush's Anthem. Of all the songs they coulda covered, they chose Anthem as one of them and it's pretty damn good too! In fact, every song on the album rocks!Image - especially their cover of Keep On Runnin'! Image
Anthem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq-OPoNXf-Y
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:47 am

It's a good cover, but it's always weird for me to hear someone other than Geddy singing. lol
Liam

"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get it, and keep goin'." - Rocky
Liam
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:18 am

Liam wrote:It's a good cover, but it's always weird for me to hear someone other than Geddy singing. lol
Oh most definitely agree with that. And, if it was a whole album of Rush covers, I wouldn't be able to bear it! :lol: :lol: However.... since we're on the subject of RUSH tribute bands.... (ya like what I did there? BAM!! Segue out of nowhere! :lol: )
When it comes to people other than Ged singing their material, the singer for 2112 does a pritttty decent job of capturing Geddy's subtle nuances and inflections. He's very respectful of the band and the songs as well. In most every case, he'll sing any given song one iof two ways: He'll either sing it the way it was recorded originally or he'll sing it the way Ged most commonly sings it live. He doesn't really ever take liberties and I respect and appreciate that as a longtime fan. It bothers me when bands cover a well known tune and butcher the fuck out of it by adding long, extended notes or solos, or when the singer adds their own stuff to the song.... I hate that!

Just out of curiosity, who gets your vote for best RUSH trib band?
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:50 am

Here's something that might blow your mind.....I don't have one. :shock: :lol:
Liam

"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get it, and keep goin'." - Rocky
Liam
MP3

Postby Liam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:52 am

Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby Liam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:57 am

Why the hell did they throw Journey in??? lol
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:10 am

Liam wrote:Why the hell did they throw Journey in??? lol
I know, right??! I mean don't get me wrong, I love the Hell out of Journey but never in a million years would I think a band like Anthrax would cover one of their songs - and that one is just so out of left field... But, in their defense, they knocked it out of the park!
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 am

Ask Belladonna. :)
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:23 am

Liam wrote:Here's something that might blow your mind.....I don't have one. :shock: :lol:
I don't even know how to respond to that.... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Every one of the RUSH trib bands have at least one thing that just blows it for them. Some are excellent musically but the singer just sucks or vice versa.... that kind of thing. 2112 really has their act together. They stay true to the music, each of the musicians are very good - including and especially the drummer. Of all the trib bands, 2112's drummer replicates Neil beat for beat on every song I heard them play. I've even played the real version of certain songs along with their version and the guy doesn't miss a beat!.

Don't know if I shared this with you before....
It's a band called Mindwalk Blvd. At the time this video was made the drummer was 11, bassist 13 and the guitarist 14. Don't assume anything just because of their ages. These kids are in my top 3 of all the young artists/bands I've seen over the years.
YYZ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=197CCb3qz6I
And keep watching when YYZ is over, the video continues on with them playing one of their originals live somewhere in Boston. These kids are freakin' awesome!
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:36 am

JRNYMAN wrote:
I know, right??! I mean don't get me wrong, I love the Hell out of Journey but never in a million years would I think a band like Anthrax would cover one of their songs - and that one is just so out of left field... But, in their defense, they knocked it out of the park!

I was talking about the 2112 tribute band including Journey. The clip I posted a couple up.
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby Liam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 am

JRNYMAN wrote:
Liam wrote:Here's something that might blow your mind.....I don't have one. :shock: :lol:

Every one of the RUSH trib bands have at least one thing that just blows it for them. Some are excellent musically but the singer just sucks or vice versa.... that kind of thing. 2112 really has their act together. They stay true to the music, each of the musicians are very good - including and especially the drummer. Of all the trib bands, 2112's drummer replicates Neil beat for beat on every song I heard them play. I've even played the real version of certain songs along with their version and the guy doesn't miss a beat!.

Don't know if I shared this with you before....
It's a band called Mindwalk Blvd. At the time this video was made the drummer was 11, bassist 13 and the guitarist 14. Don't assume anything just because of their ages. These kids are in my top 3 of all the young artists/bands I've seen over the years.
YYZ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=197CCb3qz6I
And keep watching when YYZ is over, the video continues on with them playing one of their originals live somewhere in Boston. These kids are freakin' awesome!

Cool...I'll check that out in a minute.
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:41 am

Liam wrote:
JRNYMAN wrote:

I was talking about the 2112 tribute band including Journey. The clip I posted a couple up.
:oops: Oh..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:44 am

NICE!! My only complaint is that the (kid) guitarist has no real fluidity to his playing. Very halting, and abrupt style. And it should say ages 14-17 now. LOL
Last edited by Liam on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby JRNYMAN » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 am

Liam wrote:
JRNYMAN wrote:

Yeah, ya know that whole part of the medley is weird. It kinda looks like he was going to sing during that part but every time he raises the mic to his mouth, he's saying/singing something but his mic either cut out or wasn't working or something. But yeah, that Journey break right in the middle of the medley was just strange.

The one I think they really nail is this performance of Spirit of Radio performed live at the Hard Rock in NYC. For being a live performance, they really bring their A-game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RcULxjm-nQ
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Liam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:05 am

That's actually the one I posted to FB a couple of hours ago. :lol:

Look up them doing Freewill. KILLER job.
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby verslibre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:04 pm

JRNYMAN wrote:

Every one of the RUSH trib bands have at least one thing that just blows it for them. Some are excellent musically but the singer just sucks or vice versa.... that kind of thing. 2112 really has their act together. They stay true to the music, each of the musicians are very good - including and especially the drummer. Of all the trib bands, 2112's drummer replicates Neil beat for beat on every song I heard them play. I've even played the real version of certain songs along with their version and the guy doesn't miss a beat!

Righteous!

SoCal has a Rush tribute called Caress Of Steel. They stick mainly to 70s Rush, and I'm not sure if they even perform songs from Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures. I don't think they mess with synths. The drummer has a goofy moustache and calls himself Near Peart. The guitarist resembles Alex from the early days and is called Almost Lifeson. The bassist-vocalist couldn't come with anything better than Scary Lee. LOL!! :lol:

I actually haven't heard them, I just know of them. Like Liam, I'm kinda anti-Rush tribute.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Liam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:55 pm

This "singer" needs to die for making Rush songs comical. :evil: :lol:
The music's alright...but WOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWzItbxNT-w
Liam

Liam
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:51 am

Liam wrote:This "singer" needs to die for making Rush songs comical. :evil: :lol:

LOL!!!!! That is awe-fully hilarious!!! It's Penn Jillette...and he sucks!! :lol: :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Liam » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 am

verslibre wrote:
Liam wrote:This "singer" needs to die for making Rush songs comical. :evil: :lol:

LOL!!!!! That is awe-fully hilarious!!! It's Penn Jillette...and he sucks!! :lol: :lol:

Hope he's on here reading this. YOU SUCK. QUIT. :twisted:
Liam

Liam
MP3

Return to Canadian Rock Bands