Nightwish: A band I never gave a chance

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Nightwish: A band I never gave a chance

Postby Archetype » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:29 am

But recently changed that. Any other fans here? Fantastic composition, catchy choruses, great melodies, interesting lyrics. Plus their current and two former singers are smoking hot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2xQExSZ-i0
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Re: Nightwish: A band I never gave a chance

Postby StoneCold » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Archetype wrote:But recently changed that. Any other fans here? Fantastic composition, catchy choruses, great melodies, interesting lyrics. Plus their current and two former singers are smoking hot!

Celtic metal, very cool. Powerful voice on her. Maybe as strong as Ann Wilson?

I like this one even more;

Ever Dream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwGSAFarHRg
StoneCold
Compact Disc

Postby G.I.Jim » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:10 am

I just gave them a chance and I wish I hadn't! To each their own, but this band isn't for me. I turned it off after about 15 seconds.
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby Archetype » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:16 am

StoneCold wrote:
Archetype wrote:But recently changed that. Any other fans here? Fantastic composition, catchy choruses, great melodies, interesting lyrics. Plus their current and two former singers are smoking hot!

Ever Dream

I love that song too. The current singer (Floor Jansen) has been getting rave reviews. Check out her performance in this video- totally different from her typical performances and very good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od_qcbw3f5Q

Here's another one of my favorite Nightwish tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caljueRBmSo

Tarja started it all and she's amazing. Annette brought a totally different style to the band and expanded their fanbase. I think Floor is the perfect combination of the previous two singers with her own twist.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Jonny B » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:14 am

Archetype wrote:
StoneCold wrote:

Ever Dream

I love that song too. The current singer (Floor Jansen) has been getting rave reviews. Check out her performance in this video- totally different from her typical performances and very good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od_qcbw3f5Q

Here's another one of my favorite Nightwish tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caljueRBmSo

Tarja started it all and she's amazing. Annette brought a totally different style to the band and expanded their fanbase. I think Floor is the perfect combination of the previous two singers with her own twist.

You pretty much took the words out of my mouth. However, I didn't think 'Showtime Storytime' was Nightwish's best live show though. Nothing wrong with Floor Jensen; she nailed every tune. But the band seemed a tad sloppy and a little slow compared to the studio versions of the songs. But with that said, I've followed Nightwish since day one, and now that they have an elite vocalist who can pretty much sing whatever style they ask for, I wish to them another 17 years of success.
"I once had an understanding that everything would go my way. But now we’ve come too far along for me to hold on to my own beliefs" -- Delain
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:59 am

Since you've followed them from day one, what's your take on the Tarja/Tuomas rift? Was she an intolerable diva or was he in love and let jealousy get the best of him- ruining their professional relationship?
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Jonny B » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:22 am

There's still a lot of speculation over that rift. I think Tarja developed a bit of an ego, possibly from her Husband who was also her agent at the time, and decided she wanted more control over not only the songwriting, but also who was in the band. I also believe that there may have been a point where Tuomas realized that his group had peaked with 'Once.' The whole operatic vocalist in metal was a great concept, but for the most part, he probably took that style as far as it was going to go.. Tuomas probably realized that his band wouldn't get more popular for so long as they used an operatic singer. The whole ego thing likely made it easier for him to axe Tarja from the band.

But Tarja alone isn't to blame as far as egos go. Tuomas' ego is probably bigger. He is Nightwish. His way or the Highway. That's the way it started, and always will be. Nobody makes a contribution without his permission. That, is ego in a nut shell. Look what happened with Anette Olzon. She was pregnant and came down sick during the US tour. She had a freak out session when Nightwish continued to tour without her. The thing is, is that I'm sure it must be expensive to book and fly over to North America to do a few smaller venue shows. Nightwish has tried, but they don't sell out huge venues as they do in Europe and the rest of the World. From a financial standpoint, Tuomas was not going to cancel the North American tour because one cog in the machine stopped working. So both sides could be blamed for the situation.

The funny thing, is no matter how much turmoil that goes through Nightwish, they always come out on top. Nightwish has achieved everything they've wanted to do already, from mainstream success, to concept album, to even making a movie. So I suspect the next album with Floor on vocals will be their loosest, funnest, and best album to-date.
"I once had an understanding that everything would go my way. But now we’ve come too far along for me to hold on to my own beliefs" -- Delain
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:39 am

Floor seems to be a very "type A" personality. Do you think she would eventually clash with Tuomas?
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Jonny B » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:06 am

Archetype wrote:Floor seems to be a very "type A" personality. Do you think she would eventually clash with Tuomas?

There's a good chance that Floor will want to have some say over the lyrics and how she sings them. However, as mentioned, Tuomas & Nightwish have pretty much done everything they've wanted to achieve from a musical standpoint, and then some. I think there will be some leeway, because their musical styles are very similar. But also, Floor may put the Alpha personality in check for the opportunity to sing in a band that she and just about every symphonic metal group grew up idolizing. I think this will be one music relationship that could potentially last a very long time.
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby Rick » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Reminds me of Nora singing. They sound great although it's a bit grunge for me.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Archetype » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:05 am

I'm attending Iced Earth's Worldwide Plagues tour in April. Floor's band ReVamp is the opening act. Since they're the openers and it's a small venue, there's a decent chance I might get a chance to talk with her. I've always had good luck meeting bands at this particular venue.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Jonny B » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:20 pm

I'm not a fan of her ReVamp project. Too experimental.
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:19 am

Jonny B wrote:I'm not a fan of her ReVamp project. Too experimental.

I mostly agree. I've been trying to get familiar with their material for the show and am finding it to be a somewhat tedious undertaking. I think her talent is completely under-utilized. I'm sure they'll be fun to see live though. Sounds like 2015 will be the year of the first Nightwish album with Floor.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Jonny B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:27 am

The first ReVamp album was almost there. It was an ok attempt to revive the glory days of the final 2 After Forever albums. It had a couple good tracks...'Sweet Curse' being the best track of the bunch...but the album as a whole still wasn't that good. With the 2nd album, Floor left the songwriting in the hands of her band while she was touring with Nightwish. It was more of a band effort than her own project, so the two albums sound nothing like each other, outside of Floor's lyrics and vocals.
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby FinnFreak » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:11 am

I still like Tarja.

Our radio still plays "Sleeping Sun" all the time.

Eventually "Amaranth" too - so, that's with Annette.

Floor - the new vocalist - doesn't get that much much airplay.

In Finland, that is.

John - ;)
FinnFreak
45 RPM

Postby Archetype » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:26 am

Considering that she hasn't recorded anything with them yet, it isn't very surprising that you don't hear her on the radio :lol:
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby FinnFreak » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:11 pm

;) - 'Showtime Storytime'..? - They do occasionally play live tracks on radio over here.

The media in Finland still "loves" Tarja & radio the Tarja-era Nightwish.

Don't know about Tuomas' new solo album: "The Life And Times Of Scrooge" (April 2014)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OCA96KBM3E

...I think I'm just somewhat tired with his sound right now...

John - ;)
FinnFreak
45 RPM

Postby Jonny B » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:06 am

I would happily take Tuomas' sound over anything that plagues the North American scene right now. My choices are...Lady Gaga... Nickelback...Kelly Clarkson...rap...auto-tuned dance music...and American Idol...Tuomas wins this argument, every time.

How is the Finnish metal scene doing these days, because I hear little of it? I have a number of groups in my collection from the late 90's/2000's that you never hear about anymore. Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Lullacry, Dreamtale, Twilightning, to name a few...but those who haven't already disbanded certainly haven't captured the glory days in a very long time...outside of maybe Tacere or Amberian Dawn, recent groups that I really enjoy, it seems like Finnish metal doesn't have the relevance in the music scene they once did. If Nightwish were to falter, are there any newer groups they can pass the baton to?

And no disrespect, I know Tarja is 'the' singer, but she's terrible as a solo artist.
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:21 am

Sonata Arctica has been doing fairly well. Their "Live In Finland" 4 disc set is outstanding. The DVD is one of the better concert DVDs out there. They're also about to release a new album. The single is already out

The Wolves Die Young
Last edited by Archetype on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:22 am

FinnFreak wrote:;) - 'Showtime Storytime'..? - They do occasionally play live tracks on radio over here.

I was speaking only about studio recordings. Showtime Storytime is good though. Let's see if it changes when they release a new album with Floor. I think it will be very good.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Jonny B » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:47 am

When I think of Sonata Arctica, I think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiTm0L05q4k

It's been a LONG time since they sounded that good.
Jonny B
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:24 am

Their sound has changed quite dramatically. I'll admit that. But I think it's a good natural progression. Shitload of Money is such a fun song.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:56 pm

StoneCold wrote:

Ever Dream

How would you rate that performance of Ever Dream to this one? Not only from a vocal standpoint, but and overall demeanor of the band standpoint?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p29LcuuvgQ
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:21 am

It's a pity that there aren't more past/present lead vocalists of bands sharing the stage. This is what music is about 8)

Tarja & Floor duet
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby DavidWT » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:20 am

I'm a bit late getting in on this thread, but I rarely drop by here these days.
Anyway, yes, I really like Nightwish.
I only have two of their albums: "Imaginaerium" and "Dark Passion Play," but I love them both. "Poet & The Pendulum" is one of the most epic songs I've ever heard (and I hate the word "epic" since it's so overused, but I can't think of a better way to describe this song!)
I haven't gotten any of their other albums because I'm not sure I'd care for the previous singer (Tarja) as much. I've heard a few samples, and she seems a bit too operatic for my tastes. I did watch the clips of their concert with Floor, and I really like her voice... seems to be a good combination of operatic power, but with a bit more rock grit. So if they make a new album with her on vocals, I'll have to give it a try.
DavidWT
LP

Postby Archetype » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:46 am

Tarja's style took some time to grow on me, but now I prefer her over Anette and Floor. But I like all of them.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby JRNYMAN » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:29 pm

I'd never heard of them until I stumbled across one of their videos on YT and was immediately intrigued. I guess I was a little shocked that I'd never heard of them considering I like to think I'm pretty up on most bands that play the kind of music I like, which they do. The first song I heard is still my favorite by them. I was absolutely blown away by the crisp, almost operetic vocals (-dare I say, almost Ann Wilson-esque?) and how tight the music was. Lots of talent there.

Still my fav:
I Wish I had an Angel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueiOqaSvHp0
JRNYMAN
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:06 pm

I saw ReVamp last night. I wasn't a huge fan of them until seeing them live. They kicked ass! I bought a CD and met with them for a while. Floor hit some piercingly-high notes. She's an awesome front woman- Nightwish is lucky to have her.

Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:28 am

First single with Floor Jansen next month. Then the full album at the end of March. Can't wait!
Archetype
Stereo LP

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara